Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Raven_Augustus
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2023 9:11 am 

FLIPPITYFLOOP wrote:
From chatting with them, I wouldn't get my hopes up for new music or big tours any time soon. Who knows what the future holds, but for now they're just having fun with it and I think that's for the best. But if that is the last time I get to see them, it was a damn good one and I'll hold that memory dear for a very long time.

Thanks for sharing the experience, sounds like it was amazing. I wanted to see their show in Germany so bad, but I couldn't justify traveling there just for a concert at the time. Oh well. If they just do these shows then call it quits, it's certainly better than the bitterness of the previous breakup.

As for Not Unlike the Waves, I'm kind of sick of it and a few other songs on Ashes! :lol: I've listened to it too much I think, I did the same with Black Sabbath's Paranoid album. Falling Snow and Bloodbirds are the only ones that are still just as good as ever.

Raven_Augustus
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2023 5:10 pm 

I think people might be interested in this. It's an interview with Don and John done recently by the YouTube channel Gas Masks & Hand Grenades. It's very long and in-depth and it's clearly a conversation between artists and fans, rather than those typical boring interviews that are done as promotion.

John gets quite personal about the controversies that surrounded the breakup of Agalloch and Pillorian.

FLIPPITYFLOOP
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2023 9:29 pm 

Definitely going to check that out. Thanks!

narsilianshard
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2023 9:29 pm 

They just had a long interview in Decibel as well. They mention that these three 2023 shows are all they have planned, and they might not do anything after that. They also say how incredibly important the band is to them and how lost they felt after the breakup. So, my money is on new music, but not until 2025.

Prairieshadow
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2023 11:18 am 

Thanks for that YT interview, will check it out as I have time. I also suspect they will make new music eventually, though I don't anticipate it being as soon as 2025.

Jason also had a few comments about the shows on the most recent podcast episode. And essentially how it felt to all involved like seeing an old friend for the first time in a long time.

narsilianshard
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2023 2:11 pm 

Jason is giving a live Q&A on Youtube in 2 hours: https://www.youtube.com/live/LX8MyQ9kti ... IijSED7DKe

Belshazul
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2023 4:04 pm 

Another show in San Francisco announced:

https://www.theregencyballroom.com/events/detail/514067

narsilianshard
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2023 4:17 pm 

With fucking Dawnbringer?? Incredible.

FLIPPITYFLOOP
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2023 4:28 pm 

Damn! That's good news!

Will have to check out that Q&A later.

FLIPPITYFLOOP
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2023 4:17 am 

Well there goes my evening, just watched both Jason's Q&A and the 3 hour interview in one big go. Lovely interviews, both of them. Was particularly cool that John stuck around to chat as long as he did, you can tell he was very comfortable with the interviewer who did a great job asking the deeper questions without making it too pressuring. Hearing his perspective on the breakups was one thing, but learning about his overall introversion when it comes to interacting with fans confirmed my suspicion from when I first met him in 2014, and it was heartwarming to hear of WHY he's been like that over the years and how he's grown in that area. I'm introverted as well and often have to settle in with new people and it can take a bit, and if you're exhausted after a show I can relate how you often just want your space to recharge. Makes me extra grateful that I was able to actually talk to him at the Portland show for a few minutes and how friendly he was.

Was also really funny to learn of how little Don knows about gear - makes me feel a bit better about myself too because I've felt in the dark at times and could afford to learn more. I feel like I actually might know more than Don in this area (though won't jump to conclusions)!

Lichtung002
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2024 4:38 pm 

Well worth a watch for anyone interested in the history and future of the band - probably the first time John has indicated the creation of new material isn't off the table, or. if not, is the most enthusiastic he has sounded about the prospect of that taking place.

Agalloch have also just been confirmed as replacing My Dying Bride at Maryland Deathfest this year.

FLIPPITYFLOOP
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2024 12:10 am 

Lichtung002 wrote:

Well worth a watch for anyone interested in the history and future of the band - probably the first time John has indicated the creation of new material isn't off the table, or. if not, is the most enthusiastic he has sounded about the prospect of that taking place.

Agalloch have also just been confirmed as replacing My Dying Bride at Maryland Deathfest this year.

I saw, it's a great interview. John's also coming out with some new solo material this year, and the song he released as a single is fantastic. Continues where Cast.Iron.Blood. left off, though still has a lot of the first record of his trilogy. I'm stoked for it.

I'm still not holding my breath for new Agalloch music for quite a while, particularly because when he announced his new solo album, someone asked in the comment section on Facebook and while he said they did talk about it, his heart is more with his solo stuff and apparently hasn't written a dark metal song since Pillorian broke up. I DO believe that new music would be great since it seems like they're all musically on the same page, but it'll probably be a slow process if it does happen at all. Like Carcass reuniting for gigs in 2008, and not putting out Surgical Steel until 2013.

Fucking ecstatic to see them at Maryland Deathfest though. I wasn't originally going to go, but I literally bought my ticket while waiting for the bus this morning hahaha. It's a good lineup, but wasn't getting me wanting to go on a plane, and then Agalloch massively tipped the scale. Sharing the stage with fucking Arcturus too, god damn it that's another bucketlist band I've wanted to see for ages now! Will be hitting up Dismember, Forbidden and Sacrifice the next day too. :evil: :headbang:

narsilianshard
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2024 11:48 am 

Yeah, it seems their reunion shows have been a much, much bigger hit than anyone expected. I went to the SF show and fans were ravenous; I never saw fewer than 50 people in line for merch, even while they were playing! But actually turning that ship into a music-making machine again is definitely going to take time. If it even happens I can't imagine a new album will be on the horizon until 2026 at the earliest.

FLIPPITYFLOOP
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2024 3:12 pm 

narsilianshard wrote:
Yeah, it seems their reunion shows have been a much, much bigger hit than anyone expected. I went to the SF show and fans were ravenous; I never saw fewer than 50 people in line for merch, even while they were playing! But actually turning that ship into a music-making machine again is definitely going to take time. If it even happens I can't imagine a new album will be on the horizon until 2026 at the earliest.

Even while they were playing? Crazy! I was in line at the Portland show for about an hour, I missed most of Thief's set.

I guess we're seeing just how beloved they were. I did notice that around the time they broke up, a lot of the cascadian BM bands seemed to make their sound darker and more aggressive, almost like there was a ripple through the scene. Blood Incantation came up around the same time. But this is more likely than not just a giant fucking coincidence and not Agalloch being some magical nucleus for the scene. BUT I CAN DREAM, DAMN IT

Lichtung002
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2024 3:25 pm 

FLIPPITYFLOOP wrote:
Lichtung002 wrote:

I saw, it's a great interview. John's also coming out with some new solo material this year, and the song he released as a single is fantastic. Continues where Cast.Iron.Blood. left off, though still has a lot of the first record of his trilogy. I'm stoked for it.

I'm still not holding my breath for new Agalloch music for quite a while, particularly because when he announced his new solo album, someone asked in the comment section on Facebook and while he said they did talk about it, his heart is more with his solo stuff and apparently hasn't written a dark metal song since Pillorian broke up. I DO believe that new music would be great since it seems like they're all musically on the same page, but it'll probably be a slow process if it does happen at all. Like Carcass reuniting for gigs in 2008, and not putting out Surgical Steel until 2013.

Fucking ecstatic to see them at Maryland Deathfest though. I wasn't originally going to go, but I literally bought my ticket while waiting for the bus this morning hahaha. It's a good lineup, but wasn't getting me wanting to go on a plane, and then Agalloch massively tipped the scale. Sharing the stage with fucking Arcturus too, god damn it that's another bucketlist band I've wanted to see for ages now! Will be hitting up Dismember, Forbidden and Sacrifice the next day too. :evil: :headbang:

I agree, I don't want to get my hopes up too high as there is still every chance it may not happen at all. I feel like it is a question of John in particular re-assimilating Agalloch into his life and his personality, there was clearly a lot happening under the surface psychologically which has taken time to come to terms with on his part, hence his resolute insistence for so many years that the band was finished for good, and then the gradual walking back of that position. It's also going to be partly a case of waiting for inspiration to strike - like every great band they will never release something for the sake of it or to simply regurgitate old material in an inferior form. I don't think any Agalloch fan would really want that, in any case.

I'm also a fan of John's solo stuff so looking forward to that for sure.

Have a great time @ MDF!

xexyzl
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2024 5:07 pm 

narsilianshard wrote:

I was at that show and the merch line was the craziest I've ever seen outside a festival.

I would've preferred to see My Dying Bride at MDF but the friend I'm going with is a huge Agalloch fan and missed that SF show so I'm sure he'll be happy.

Raven_Augustus
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2024 6:27 pm 

John describing the Pillorian band was hilarious. Re-listening to that material recently I can see what he's saying, it's a lot more aggressive and hateful, and if he had other troubles I can see how it negatively affected him.

At this stage I'll be glad for new material, but I'm not holding my breath.

MetalHeadX2
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2024 7:22 pm 

Sold out. Bummer

FLIPPITYFLOOP
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2024 7:28 pm 

MetalHeadX2 wrote:
Sold out. Bummer

Doesn't seem like it, I'm checking the site now and Power Plant/Marketplace still has tickets available for the Friday. Or were you referring to something else?

Lichtung002 wrote:
I agree, I don't want to get my hopes up too high as there is still every chance it may not happen at all. I feel like it is a question of John in particular re-assimilating Agalloch into his life and his personality, there was clearly a lot happening under the surface psychologically which has taken time to come to terms with on his part, hence his resolute insistence for so many years that the band was finished for good, and then the gradual walking back of that position. It's also going to be partly a case of waiting for inspiration to strike - like every great band they will never release something for the sake of it or to simply regurgitate old material in an inferior form. I don't think any Agalloch fan would really want that, in any case.

I'm also a fan of John's solo stuff so looking forward to that for sure.

Have a great time @ MDF!

I think you nailed it, John's really coming to terms with this great beast he created and he definitely feels like he's opening Pandora's box. I think it's important that we simply appreciate that this is happening at all, rather than push for more when really, they don't owe us anything.

And thank you! Can't fucking wait!

Wilytank
Not a Flying Toy

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:03 pm 

xexyzl wrote:
narsilianshard wrote:

I was at that show and the merch line was the craziest I've ever seen outside a festival.

I would've preferred to see My Dying Bride at MDF but the friend I'm going with is a huge Agalloch fan and missed that SF show so I'm sure he'll be happy.

This isn't the first time My Dying Bride has done this. At this point, I'd rather them just come out and say they're splitting up. I haven't liked anything they did since For Lies I Sire anyway. Agalloch taking their place is an upgrade.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3