Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
EvergreenSherbert
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2022 8:05 pm 

It's coming!!!!! Revo just teased their next album, Netherheaven. They've been on an amazing streak since Deathless, and arguably since Teratogenesis, so I have my hopes up.

Last edited by EvergreenSherbert on Fri Jun 17, 2022 12:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MeavyHetal
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2022 8:18 pm 

I've seen a number of people criticize their last album for downplaying the thrash side of their sound in favor of the death metal side, but I personally thought The Outer Ones was a fantastic album that conveyed the themes of cosmic horror very well (A Starless Darkness might be one of the best songs they've ever done IMO).

If Netherheaven is in the same vein then i'm absolutely on board!

EvergreenSherbert
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2022 8:26 pm 

I also love The Outer Ones, it's one of my favorite metal albums ever. So I really can't wait for more of that. I've always thought of Revo as technical death inspired by thrash, rather than the other way around, so I'm not worried about a lack of thrash elements.

They've described this next album as "diabolical death metal" so I think they're going farther in the death direction. The teaser doesn't reveal much about the album's style, except that the guitar tone is as great as ever.

goetia_unreleased
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2022 8:28 pm 

So glad this band is a thing. I remember seeing the video for "Dismantle the Dictator" on the new Headbanger's Ball back in 2009/2010. They looked goofy as fuck, but I was impressed by their music. Pretty sure I discovered Municipal Waste during that same showing as well. I'm ok with them going more in a death metal direction, but at the same time would like to hear thrashier parts.

true_death
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2022 8:49 pm 

The Outer Ones is the only Revocation album I like. Before that, I always thought their fusion of "modern tech death + thrash" sounded good on paper, but in execution didn't really "gel" I guess and the songs weren't memorable at all. And Dave's voice always seemed a bit half-assed to me, especially the "cleans". On that album, they fixed these problems. I think the move to a more death metal style kind of levelled things out in a way, and toned down the more obnoxious elements, showcasing the band's songwriting chops and amazing musicianship. And Dave's vocals were a lot more menacing and believable. In all ways, it was a huge improvement over their back catalog and I look forward to hearing what's next.

EvergreenSherbert
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2022 12:53 pm 

Edited the title, because I just read that July 6 isn't even the release date, just when announcements and an order will go up. What the hell, they're announcing an announcement?

ModusOperandi
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2022 1:39 pm 

^ With the way things are economically right now, this gives fans a little time to plan and budget in advance once the pre-order goes live. Probably some hefty merch bundles, and the vinyl variants will definitely sell fast.

AT FIRST, I'M NOT AN IDIOT, MORE RESPECT.

Kalaratri
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2022 2:09 pm 

ModusOperandi wrote:
^ With the way things are economically right now, this gives fans a little time to plan and budget in advance once the pre-order goes live. Probably some hefty merch bundles, and the vinyl variants will definitely sell fast.

Bigger labels usually have a promotional cycle that lasts at least 2 months, and they can start releasing singles even earlier if the band is big enough to warrant it. My guess is the new record won't be out until September at the earliest.

LithoJazzoSphere
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2022 8:14 pm 

Deathless is my favorite album of theirs. It's just at a perfect intersection of technicality, melodicism, and thrashiness. "Scorched Earth Policy" is a classic, what a killer intro solo, and the stick clacking fill had me burst out laughing the first time through, a really fun moment.

goetia_unreleased
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2022 10:15 pm 

LithoJazzoSphere wrote:
Deathless is my favorite album of theirs. It's just at a perfect intersection of technicality, melodicism, and thrashiness. "Scorched Earth Policy" is a classic, what a killer intro solo, and the stick clacking fill had me burst out laughing the first time through, a really fun moment.

If only there was a way to like (and in certain cases dislike) comments on this forum. That is definitely a song that I come back to when revisiting that album.

EvergreenSherbert
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2022 11:27 pm 

I might need to give Deathless another listen. "Scorched Earth Policy" is one of the only songs I found really forgettable. I particularly like the first three tracks, and "United in Helotry".

MeavyHetal
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2022 11:53 am 

Deathless is an awesome album, definitely up there in Revocation's discography along with albums like The Outer Ones and Existence Is Futile. "Witch Trials" remains as one of my favorite Revocation songs.

It's honestly nice to see a new-ish tech-death band that's more riff-oriented and not just non-stop shredding.

praey
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2022 3:35 pm 

Deathless and Existence is Futile are their best albums. "Witch Trials" is one of my favorite Revocation songs too. I didn't enjoy The Outer Ones that much. I even saw them perform it in full live and honestly, I would have rather them just played a regular show. Maybe my opinion will change if I go back to it - it's been a couple years since I've heard it.

To me Revocation are at their best when they're doing the melodic tech-thrash thing. Their more death metal stuff just isn't as interesting to me. I'll probably check this new one out regardless, but I always felt Revocation was a band with a lot of unfulfilled potential. Throughout the 2010s they just released too much mediocre stuff at too fast a rate. They have some really good songs and none of their albums are stinkers, but if you took the best songs from their discography and put all of them into two or three albums, they'd be a much more worthwhile band.

LithoJazzoSphere
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2022 5:42 pm 

goetia_unreleased wrote:
LithoJazzoSphere wrote:

If only there was a way to like (and in certain cases dislike) comments on this forum. That is definitely a song that I come back to when revisiting that album.

Yeah, I'm glad we don't though, it facilitates too much low-engagement, mindlessly clicking. That's one of a number of reasons I prefer older style forums like this one over modern social media like Facebook, Reddit, Youtube and such, it's much harder to get any depth there.

Ezadara
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2022 10:17 pm 

praey wrote:
They have some really good songs and none of their albums are stinkers, but if you took the best songs from their discography and put all of them into two or three albums, they'd be a much more worthwhile band.

I couldn't agree more with this when it comes to their earlier, thrashier stuff. Like, every album from Existence Is Futile to Deathless has two or three phenomenal songs and then a bunch of filler-- Chaos of Forms has Cretin, No Funeral, and Cradle Robber, which are fantastic songs, but man, I pretty much never revisit any of the other songs on that album. You could prune a couple of songs from every album in that run and then slap them together into a straight up A+ death-thrash album (although I guess you could do that with a lot of bands' discographies...)

Outer Ones was much more consistent, and while I enjoyed the hefty helping of thrash in their earlier material, I think they really hit their stride with the sound on that album. I'm looking forward to this one.

EvergreenSherbert
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2022 10:38 pm 

I'd honestly like to hear more stuff like Teratogenesis, I don't know why there aren't more people talking about that EP. It's one of my favorite releases from Revocation.

praey
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2022 9:31 am 

EvergreenSherbert wrote:
I'd honestly like to hear more stuff like Teratogenesis, I don't know why there aren't more people talking about that EP. It's one of my favorite releases from Revocation.

You’re not alone. I’ve seen a fair share of praise for it over the years. And you’re right, it’s a fantastic EP. I’d love to hear more stuff in that vein too.

Ivan Drago
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2022 11:22 am 

MeavyHetal wrote:
It's honestly nice to see a new-ish tech-death band that's more riff-oriented and not just non-stop shredding.

You might enjoy Xoth if you haven't heard them. They're slightly more on the thrashy than death side, but full of great riffs

Looking forward to this new Revocation, I reckon Outer Ones has been their pinnacle so if this comes close enough to the same level of quality I'll be happy

MeavyHetal
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2022 12:23 pm 

Ivan Drago wrote:
MeavyHetal wrote:

You might enjoy Xoth if you haven't heard them. They're slightly more on the thrashy than death side, but full of great riffs

Looking forward to this new Revocation, I reckon Outer Ones has been their pinnacle so if this comes close enough to the same level of quality I'll be happy

I really enjoyed Interdimensional Invocations, looking forward to hearing more stuff from them.

CoffeeCat
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2022 10:00 am 

Last edited by CoffeeCat on Wed Jun 28, 2023 11:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
MeavyHetal
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2022 12:22 pm 

First single has dropped, and they're definitely sticking with the more death metal focused sound from the last album. Don't know what everyone else will think but I think this song rips.

Cheapsteaks
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2022 12:57 pm 

Something about it reminds me of Black Dahlia Murder a bit, that sort of American take on melodeath with the guitar work. I'm digging this!

thrashinbatman
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2022 1:45 pm 

pretty solid, though i see im in the minority that preferred their death/thrash stuff. the way i see it, that thrashiness set them apart in the scene, and since they've moved away from it they've started to sound less unique. that being said, this still has quite a bit of that bounciness i liked in their earlier material.

EvergreenSherbert
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2022 4:32 pm 

I definitely prefer the more dark and brooding sound of "The Outer Ones", but this still goes hard.

Kalaratri
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2022 11:11 am 

Here's the second single, featuring Trevor Strnad and Corpsegrinder.

EvergreenSherbert
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2022 1:43 pm 

Goddamn! What a song!

Burton78
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2022 5:38 pm 

Such a killer track. So far both singles work so well. It seems this album will surpass The outer ones.

Kalaratri
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2022 6:18 pm 

The full album stream is now available:

nakzox
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2022 9:13 am 

This album kicks ass. It’s gonna be on repeat for me for a while. Might be my album of the year.

MeavyHetal
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2022 9:50 am 

One of the best albums they've put out IMO, easily their most death metal forward album so far and probably their heaviest and most sinister sounding release to date.

LithoJazzoSphere
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2022 5:27 pm 

Really solid album, definitely a top 10 contender. "Galleries of Morbid Artistry" is my current favorite, love the juxaposition of gnarly riffs with atmospheric clean passages.

EvergreenSherbert
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2022 6:22 pm 

It was alright. Feels a little weak to me, but every song still had something to offer. Definitely not on the same level as The Outer Ones though.

Ivan Drago
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2022 5:39 pm 

EvergreenSherbert wrote:
It was alright. Feels a little weak to me, but every song still had something to offer. Definitely not on the same level as The Outer Ones though.

Feeling the same, still a good album with a huge amount to like, but won't be knocking TOO off the top spot

CoffeeCat
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2022 7:46 pm 

Last edited by CoffeeCat on Wed Jun 28, 2023 11:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
EvergreenSherbert
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2022 11:41 am 

CoffeeCat wrote:
I enjoyed this album, but to me it pales just a bit next to The Outer Ones as my fave from them. I'm not sure why exactly - maybe because it feels like it's just continuing the same thing? Either way, it's near top-tier and Revocation has really stepped up as one of my favorite current death metal bands.

For me it pales because The Outer Ones had more variety between songs. All of them had their own sound and told their own story.

CoconutBackwards
Bullet Centrist

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2022 1:06 pm 

I tried again with this band, but I don't get it.

Monotonous vocals with extreme lack of melody.

This music is not for me.
"So, you want to sign songs about your great and glorious invisible cloud daddy? Go right ahead. You have whole tax-free buildings to do that in. I am not only not listening, I am intentionally going out of my way to ignore you."

Lane
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2023 5:01 pm 

New music video out.

Judas Maiden
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2023 5:43 pm 

Watched the video above. It is true that they're leaning towards death metal now. Which is such a shame since their death/thrash sound was more fun to listen to.

Frank Booth
Can Bench 450

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2023 7:45 pm 

Judas Maiden wrote:
Watched the video above. It is true that they're leaning towards death metal now. Which is such a shame since their death/thrash sound was more fun to listen to.

If Noah Young does formally join, I wouldn't be surprised to see them revisit that. That being said, they're also a band that hasn't made the same album twice for a long time. I personally want to see them revisit the oddball early 2000s tech/prog weirdness of Chaos of Forms.

Dandelo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2023 7:30 am 

I've had more time with this and I don't feel like it's as good as the last two or three albums. It's still okay though.

Reply to topic Go to page 1, 2  Next