Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
lennonlikesmetal
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2022 7:02 am 

MikeyC wrote:
I have a love-hate relationship with Teitanblood. Their first album Seven Chalices was fantastic, and one of the best of this particular brand of extremity. Unfortunately, 5 years later they released Death and it was just so...unmemorable. The elements were still there, clearly, but the spark was gone. I didn't even check out their 3rd album and still haven't.

Death is their peak. Less atmosphere, more riffs, and Sad Ex bits. Fantastic.

You should at least check out Baneful Choir. It's good.

rarezuzuh
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2022 1:29 pm 

I don't know how much I have to contribute to this thread, but I would like to credit it for turning me on to Lunarterial by Swallowed. I remember checking their demos out back in the very early 2010's, and finding them to be pretty standard death/doom. I thought they were okay, but I didn't think much more about them. If I was aware that they recorded a full length album, I didn't have any particular motivation to check it out. Fast forward to today, it was strange for me to see them talked about in this context based on what I remembered of them, so I had to go back and check them out, and I'm glad I did. Lunarterial is really fucking good.

Ghost of Christmas Last
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2022 3:54 pm 

I'm actually looking forward to future output by Shaarimoth who have only recently started dipping their toes in the noisy brand of metal. I think sooner than later they could come up with something fitting.

HeavenDuff wrote:
Nevertheless, popularity is never the only metric I consider, and if I do consider it, I take it with a pinch of salt.

For the subject at hand here, I would never come to the conclusion that there is better artistry in DSBM then there is Dissonant death metal, or war metal or whatnot, just because more people seem to enjoy DSBM. The only thing this tells me is that there is too much depressed people ;)

To me, artistry only manifests itself at the moment it is perceived. So rather than drawing a hard line I see it as a point on the supply/demand curve so to speak. Unless the two intersect, a work of art remains little more than hearsay which few actually experienced. In the end artistry ends up being the sum of our personal experiences, where quantity is possibly just as important as quality.

And as a predominantly DM fan I wasn't able to get into the DSBM sound so far (even Ulcerate), but I totally agree with it being "the music of our times", perhaps alarmingly so as you mentioned.

therealvivs
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2022 6:06 pm 

To add some more fuel to the fire, here are some bands/albums I believe are often overlooked but that in their own way pushed boundaries whilst still being highly memorable, IMO, of course.

Not sure if they all fit into the OP's definition of extreme, but to me they are all "heavy" in some way.

Blood Revolt - Indoctrine

Cephalic Carnage - Xenosapien

Crimson Massacre - The Luster Of Pandemonium

Dolorian - Voidwards

Dragged Into Sunlight - Hatred For Mankind

Funebrarum - The Sleep Of Morbid Dreams

Scrambled Defuncts - Hackled In Gore

HeavenDuff
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2022 7:52 pm 

Ghost of Christmas Last wrote:
And as a predominantly DM fan I wasn't able to get into the DSBM sound so far (even Ulcerate), but I totally agree with it being "the music of our times", perhaps alarmingly so as you mentioned.

I don't know if you're confusing things together here, but DSBM stands for Depressive Suicidal Black Metal, and Ulcerate is death metal. Some call them avant-garde death or dissonant death (dissodeath).

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2022 8:15 pm 

therealvivs wrote:
Scrambled Defuncts - Hackled In Gore

Amazing album! Good call!

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

LilTito
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2022 10:54 pm 

This is gonna be one of those threads where it will come down to what is even heaviness and aggression and nobody wil be able to agree precisely, isn't it?

therealvivs
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2022 4:33 am 

MikeyC wrote:
Amazing album! Good call!

:beer:

yung_souichi
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2022 1:57 pm 

Revenge/Conqueror still the epitome for 'extreme' metal for me

Miss Amerikkka? Only parasites will

~Guest 1388265
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2022 9:35 pm 

Pissgrave
Ascended Dead
Bestial Putrefaction
Grave Upheaval
Dragged Into Sunlight

Rodman
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2022 2:22 am 

I'm far from an expert on the subject, but of all of the bands I've listened to that are relevant to this thread it is Adversarial who are the most impressive.

You can actually hear the riffs.

lennonlikesmetal
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2022 10:58 am 

therealvivs wrote:

Good albums.

lennonlikesmetal
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2022 5:06 pm 

Rodman wrote:
I'm far from an expert on the subject, but of all of the bands I've listened to that are relevant to this thread it is Adversarial who are the most impressive.

You can actually hear the riffs.

Unfortunately you can also hear the drum sound on All Idols Fall Before the Hammer.

therealvivs
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2022 5:49 pm 

lennonlikesmetal wrote:
therealvivs wrote:

Good albums.

Indeed! :np:

Shame we never got a follow-up from Blood Revolt...

And speaking of Adversarial; monstrous band for sure. Anyone knows what's up with them? Would love a new album...

Gravetemplar
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2022 5:55 pm 

therealvivs wrote:
lennonlikesmetal wrote:
therealvivs wrote:

Good albums.

Indeed! :np:

Shame we never got a follow-up from Blood Revolt...

And speaking of Adversarial; monstrous band for sure. Anyone knows what's up with them? Would love a new album...

They were releasing a remastered version of All Idols Fall Before the Hammer in 2019 and all of a sudden the project got cancelled. I haven't heard anything from them ever since.

Ghost of Christmas Last
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2023 8:48 am 

HeavenDuff wrote:

I don't know if you're confusing things together here, but DSBM stands for Depressive Suicidal Black Metal, and Ulcerate is death metal. Some call them avant-garde death or dissonant death (dissodeath).

True DSBM bands hardly get any mentions/attention around here, so I keep reading DS as dissonant and it doesn't help that many bands qualify for both camps. I probably need to work on better understanding the distinction.
I do tend to view Ulcerate as an offshoot of the DSO camp more than the DM one, but at the same time I am really enjoying Portal, so eh.

joppek
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2023 12:32 pm 

I do tend to view Ulcerate as an offshoot of the DSO camp more than the DM one, but at the same time I am really enjoying Portal, so eh.

they do have plenty in common with deathspell omega, but i always view them as children of gorguts

lennonlikesmetal
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2023 7:16 pm 

joppek wrote:

they do have plenty in common with deathspell omega, but i always view them as children of gorguts

I think the last album sounded like Tool.

Gravetemplar
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2023 8:38 pm 

At this point I'm not sure if you guys are joking or not but Ulcerate clearly sound like Immolation. Their first album is clearly Immolation worship, they didn't hide it. Sure, they have other influences (Arkhon Infaustus, Deathspell Omega, Gorguts) but this song is where Ulcerate got their sound from.

SanPeron
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2024 6:53 pm 

Just reviving this thread because is the only one that mentioned Ascended Dead, I didn't know who Teitanblood were so I am listening to their album Death, right now!

Pretty fucking badass, a good mix between death metal, crust punk, and black metal.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2