Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Gravetemplar
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2024 9:52 am 

Someone hacked Emperor's Facebook, am I right? It's full of silly memes and viral videos.

Opus
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2024 3:59 pm 

Does every metal band (of some notoriety) use click track when playing live now?

coupdebleus
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2024 6:22 pm 

Are there any good Summoning covers? As good or better than the original, not just decent or passable. The only one I can think of is Enid’s Nahe Avalon, a cover of The Passing of the Grey Company with Arthurian lyrics in German. It’s rawer sound works greatly in favor of the song’s atmosphere.
Every other cover I’ve heard over the course of the years felt like a discount bin copy, or tried to ramp it up and fell short of it (more reverb≠ more epic).

lordcatfish
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2024 3:01 pm 

Opus wrote:
Does every metal band (of some notoriety) use click track when playing live now?

I'm pretty sure Iron Maiden don't (at least not through entire songs). I think they use a metronome or something to ensure they start in the right tempo.

narsilianshard
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2024 7:10 pm 

Opus wrote:

I would actually love to know how prevalent this is. I have to assume it's pretty uncommon for underground bands (apart from maybe tech death) but then increases in use the bigger and bigger venues bands are playing?

wone21r
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2024 8:57 pm 

lordcatfish wrote:
Opus wrote:

I'm pretty sure Iron Maiden don't (at least not through entire songs). I think they use a metronome or something to ensure they start in the right tempo.

Metronome and click track are different words for the same thing, like bass drum and kick drum.

You could be thinking of the difference between just using a metronome/click for tempo (heard only by the musician/s) and having backing tracks playing additional music that is heard by the audience.

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2024 9:31 pm 

I thought the same thing when I first read that but I think what he's saying is that Maiden only uses a click/metronome of some sort to count in before just freeballing the song. I don't know if that's actually true but that's how I interpret the post.

Anyway yeah, clicks are fairly normal nowadays from my understanding, but I'm also a big dummy who hasn't even bothered to google anything for verification.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

ChildClownOutlet
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2024 4:52 pm 

Is there a name for the drum beat thats used in a lot of middle eastern sort of sounds? Like that Melechesh kind of bouncy drum beat?
https://youtu.be/fiNT_Ak30RE?si=UTJHd0miSHKRa_BL&t=19

https://youtu.be/FIya8BURbJg?si=ByNWgZsS0k__Sx2A&t=42

lordcatfish
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2024 5:34 pm 

BastardHead wrote:
I thought the same thing when I first read that but I think what he's saying is that Maiden only uses a click/metronome of some sort to count in before just freeballing the song. I don't know if that's actually true but that's how I interpret the post.

You're right, that's what I meant. From what I've read / been told, they use the click at the start to get the right tempo, but then after that it ebbs and flows.

Dustroy_Troly
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2024 10:54 am 

Is Iron Maiden's song Fates Warning a reference to the band Fates Warning? I mean, it must be? Unless they're both referencing some third thing.

Opus
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2024 2:10 pm 

Click tracks and backing tracks are both sad and stupid. I think that takes away a lot of the live experience.
There are two things that made me think about it:
1. When Dark Tranquillity didn't have a bassist they had the bass on backing track. That's just weird!
2. I saw a video with (I think, can't find it now) Tool, where the drummer had problems with his in-ears and couldn't hear the click, so the drum tech who could hear the click was tapping the drummers leg. Tool has a skilled drummer, so why isn't it possible for him to wing it live just for once?

Remember back in the good old days when bands refused to mime to recordings? Ended up like this when Maiden had to do it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SWRR8_s3Mwk

*Backing tracks can be useful and/or necessary sometimes, but bands shouldn't rely on them to play live.

DeadKid
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2024 3:36 pm 

Dustroy_Troly wrote:
Is Iron Maiden's song Fates Warning a reference to the band Fates Warning? I mean, it must be? Unless they're both referencing some third thing.

Maybe the existence of the band made it seem more metal somehow, but I think it's just a catchy title for a song about being warned by fate. The phrase "fate's warning" shows up on Google Books in a bunch of poems etc. and I think it's just natural wording to use when describing fate as an entity performing actions.

SanPeron
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2024 8:37 pm 

Why is it so hard to find the first Diamond Head album online to listen to? I found it on archives.com but it isn't on Spotify nor YouTube, I don't know why the most famous album of the band isn't available on any site, also the re-recorded version that is available is awful and it doesn't have anything to do with classic NWOBHM release.

DeadKid
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2024 10:23 pm 

I guess they (and/or their label) really wanted people to hear the new effort. The original is on Rumble (with bonus tracks), Vimeo and Bitchute.

Dustroy_Troly
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2024 12:03 am 

SanPeron wrote:
Why is it so hard to find the first Diamond Head album online to listen to? I found it on archives.com but it isn't on Spotify nor YouTube, I don't know why the most famous album of the band isn't available on any site, also the re-recorded version that is available is awful and it doesn't have anything to do with classic NWOBHM release.

It's there on Spotify, just with new, godawful artwork. At least for me. There might be regional differences.

DeadKid wrote:
Dustroy_Troly wrote:

Maybe the existence of the band made it seem more metal somehow, but I think it's just a catchy title for a song about being warned by fate. The phrase "fate's warning" shows up on Google Books in a bunch of poems etc. and I think it's just natural wording to use when describing fate as an entity performing actions.

What makes it weird though is that they are both written without the apostrophe.

Last edited by Dustroy_Troly on Mon Apr 08, 2024 12:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
King_of_Arnor
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2024 3:03 pm 

Dustroy_Troly wrote:
SanPeron wrote:

It's there on Spotify, just with new, godawful artwork. At least for me. There might be regional differences.

That's the 2021 remastered deluxe version, including "lost original mixes" and bonus tracks. If this link works then it should probably be available for you, but it might be region locked.
https://open.spotify.com/album/6JeJz0wAUi33GGXM1PbEdg

Ivan Drago
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2024 6:22 pm 

Now that all the Abbotts have died, what are the chances of reissues of the early Pantera albums?

SanPeron
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2024 7:18 pm 

King_of_Arnor wrote:
Dustroy_Troly wrote:
SanPeron wrote:

That's the 2021 remastered deluxe version, including "lost original mixes" and bonus tracks. If this link works then it should probably be available for you, but it might be region locked.

Thanks man, yeah that's the album, that awful cover of the remaster that looks like a Disturbed album hide it from me lmao. I don't know what's with these guys, they fucking hate their own original artwork.

King_of_Arnor
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2024 7:44 pm 

SanPeron wrote:
King_of_Arnor wrote:

Thanks man, yeah that's the album, that awful cover of the remaster that looks like a Disturbed album hide it from me lmao. I don't know what's with these guys, they fucking hate their own original artwork.

The original album didn't even have artwork when it was released, and it's hard to blame them when this sequence of cover arts was as good as it got before 2011.

Spoiler: show

DeadKid
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2024 9:31 pm 

Dustroy_Troly wrote:
What makes it weird though is that they are both written without the apostrophe.

Metal bands are known more for their music than their correct use of punctuation. Though this one's not necessarily wrong if they're saying there's more than one fate and maybe using warning as a verb or something.

If I'd written a song called 'Can I Play With Madness' I would've put a question mark at the end of the title on principle, but I suppose that'd make a subtle change to the vibe gained from reading it.

yungstirjoey666
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2024 8:56 pm 

Does anyone else find it pretty odd that there's not a single metal MA band in Nigeria in 2024? I mean, we're talking about the sixth most populated country in the world, and will probably surpass the US in like two decades or so.

Thexhumed
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2024 1:22 am 

What's the most accessible metal band with harsh vocals for non-metal people? I came to this question cause I remember one friend who liked a couple of metal songs; One, The Trooper, Iron Man, you know, the usual suspects, but also liking a bunch of Amon Amarth songs, he said the vocals didn't bother him at all.

King_of_Arnor
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2024 7:46 am 

Thexhumed wrote:
What's the most accessible metal band with harsh vocals for non-metal people? I came to this question cause I remember one friend who liked a couple of metal songs; One, The Trooper, Iron Man, you know, the usual suspects, but also liking a bunch of Amon Amarth songs, he said the vocals didn't bother him at all.

Amon Amarth is a good choice as you said. My answer would be Ensiferum, partly based on my own experience.

Disembodied
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2024 8:21 am 

Most accessible? It would probably be Killswitch Engage or Shadows Fall or something like that.

KaiKasparek
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2024 11:16 am 

I'd go with Children of Bodom, Pantera, or possibly even Death.

This isn't really a question, just a thought. Manowar's loin-cloths, fur-pelts and speedos: Not the best look in retrospect, but a) at least they were in shape for it, b) they haven't used that look in 30 years.

Period

The greatest post in M-A history:

~Guest 21181 wrote:
The Legions of the Teabagged:
vacantmind - DURR GOATSE IS FOONY (If you meet this guy, please pour hot lead down his anus).

Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2024 12:35 pm 

I was thinking recently about the band Corrosion of Conformity. I like their 80s hardcore stuff (especially Technocracy[/i, but it was the southern rockish kind of stuff, [i]Wiseblod especially, that kind of first got me to take notice when it came out in the 90s. I really dig that album and some of the later stuff too, but one album I finally decided I just don't like very much is Blind, the one that emerged after the band went dormant for a few years, got a new singer and basically did a complete style change, the likes of which most other bands, even, say, metallica, did quite gradually. Now I know Blind has its fans and all, and that's great; I like a few songs on it at least, but seriously, was anyone following the band in the late 80s/early 90s really annoyed with this album? It's like a crappy also-ran grunge record...not very "rootsy" like Wiseblood, kind of generic early 90s, sort of competent but pretty nondescript singer. I mean, did fans of the band in 1992 think this an ungodly sellout or what?
Hush and hark, without murmur or sigh,
To shoon that tread the lost aeons:
To the sound that bids you to die.

SanPeron
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2024 12:46 pm 

Abominatrix wrote:
I was thinking recently about the band Corrosion of Conformity. I like their 80s hardcore stuff (especially Technocracy[/i, but it was the southern rockish kind of stuff, [i]Wiseblod especially, that kind of first got me to take notice when it came out in the 90s. I really dig that album and some of the later stuff too, but one album I finally decided I just don't like very much is Blind, the one that emerged after the band went dormant for a few years, got a new singer and basically did a complete style change, the likes of which most other bands, even, say, metallica, did quite gradually. Now I know Blind has its fans and all, and that's great, but seriously, was anyone following the band in the late 80s/early 90s really annoyed with this album? It's like a crappy also-ran grunge record...not very "rootsy" like Wiseblood, kind of generic early 90s, sort of competent but pretty nondescript singer. I mean, did fans of the band in 1992 think this an ungodly sellout or what?

I like both, but Corrosion of Conformity is what it is thanks to Pepper Keenan and Deliverance, the song that I like the most in Blind, is Vote with a Bullet, which is also the first one that Pepper sings in the band. I like their hardcore/thrashcore style of the first albums, but they became legends after playing stoner metal, and perfectly captured the Louisiana, New Orleans sounds of the swamp and weed. I had the luck of seeing them live once and Pepper is an amazing frontman, the bluesy style of the songs is perfect live, and they play long cool improvisations in all their repertory.

Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2024 12:54 pm 

SanPeron wrote:
I like both, but Corrosion of Conformity is what it is thanks to Pepper Keenan and Deliverance, the song that I like the most in Blind, is Vote with a Bullet, which is also the first one that Pepper sings in the band. I like their hardcore/thrashcore style of the first albums, but they became legends after playing stoner metal, and perfectly captured the Louisiana, New Orleans sounds of the swamp and weed. I had the luck of seeing them live once and Pepper is an amazing frontman, the bluesy style of the songs is perfect live, and they play long cool improvisations in all their repertory.

Yeah, pepper taking over frontman duties seems to work well for them. I do like those later albums much more than Blind so for me it just seems like a stumble for them. I sadly missed many opportunities to catch the band live over te years. But yeah, was just kind of wondering about the response to that album -- the revies on the archives are surprisingly positive for te most part and I've not heard many complain about it, but in retrospect (as someone who got into them later I mean) it sticks out like a sore thumb in their discography, at least in my opinion.

Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2024 12:59 pm 

narsilianshard wrote:
Opus wrote:

I would actually love to know how prevalent this is. I have to assume it's pretty uncommon for underground bands (apart from maybe tech death) but then increases in use the bigger and bigger venues bands are playing?

of all the underground black/death/wahtever bands I shared the stage with, only one ever did this. But yeah I imagine it is pretty common among "bigger" bands.

I'm a big opponent of "cheating" on stage myself, but I kind of feel less antagonistic about click tracks. It's just to keep things steady. Depending on setup, it can be really hard to hear everything up on stage. That said, ideally the rest of the band would just follow the drummer's lead, and if it turned out the drummer was playing things a little faster than normal or whatever, then so be it, but that kind of thing does require a certain level of relaxed band chemistry. You know how pissed off the guitarists get when the drummers start speeding up the tempo and he's picking like a lunatic just to keep up.

narsilianshard
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2024 1:17 pm 

Definitely, I'm a drummer and sometimes play way faster at shows due to nerves. it can also just completely ruin the vibe of the songs. The last time I saw Khemmis they played everything maybe 10% slower than on the record and it just really lessened the impact of the material and was pretty disappointing.

Planetary_Misfortune
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2024 12:00 pm 

yungstirjoey666 wrote:
Does anyone else find it pretty odd that there's not a single metal MA band in Nigeria in 2024? I mean, we're talking about the sixth most populated country in the world, and will probably surpass the US in like two decades or so.

There's a fledgling scene over there, but the bands they do have are closer to Rock and don't meet this sites appraisals of metal yet.

tomcat_ha
Minister of Boiling Water

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2024 11:39 am 

clicktracks are p common if a band uses samples/tapes. Just think of like a band like Thyrfing who when I saw em had all the ethnic instruments come from a backing tape. Usually a good tell is if the drummer is wearing headphones. That said it is also actually rare for other band members to play to a click themselves nor would I say playing to a click makes drumming that much easier. Playing drums to a click is more of a skill you need to train than playing guitars to a click in my personal experience.

Metal Shark
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:50 pm 

King_of_Arnor wrote:
The original album didn't even have artwork when it was released, and it's hard to blame them when this sequence of cover arts was as good as it got before 2011.

[spoiler]Image

The first one looks like a cover for a Textbook! :lol:

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 30, 31, 32, 33, 34