Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
~Guest 354281
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 11:44 am 

i was listening to this (just the intro)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OtV_F6GoGDc

normally it's something i would skip 99.9% of times, yet i like this one, love the piano music and the girl?/child? voice over that soft melody

got me thinking, what songs do people like that they weren't supposed to normally?

like, songs from bands that haven't released nothing else you find worthy, or songs that feel as cheesy as they come but yet you can't stop listening to them, or any other reason that would make you dislike it and yet you don't

another good example from my personal experience:

Dark Funeral - In my Dreams
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1mZuf60rmUo

I like DF's older stuff, and while Where Shadows Forever Reign is also not bad, the 2 LP's right before that are just not for me, yet i like this song, for some reason, i'm not supposed to, it just sounds like a damn love song in the middle of a Black Metal album and it sounds like as cheesy as BM can sound to me, yet i like it and it's the only DF song from those 2 albums i actually listen to at times

LordStenhammar
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 12:00 pm 

I like Survivor songs like Popular Girl and The One That Really Matters. Also Separate Ways by Journey. Wouldn't have listened that kind of stuff some ten years ago. Are my musical tastes devolving, am I getting tender by age? Also some Sonata Arctica ballads almost bring tears to my eyes. It doesn't get cheesier than that for me.

rexxz
Where's your band?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 12:41 pm 

Not sure what you mean by "supposed" to like, to be quite honest. Unless that's just another way of phrasing "something you like that you usually do not". I can tell on the first listen if I like it or not, and it usually doesn't go much deeper than that. Never really put too much consideration on whether what I like matches what I or others think I am supposed to or not. I wish I could answer with an example but I just never experienced this before.

Quote:
like, songs from bands that haven't released nothing else you find worthy, or songs that feel as cheesy as they come but yet you can't stop listening to them, or any other reason that would make you dislike it and yet you don't

Because in my mind, any song can match those descriptions but it doesn't mean I wasn't supposed to like the song. A good song is a good song no matter where it comes from.

~Guest 354281
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 1:14 pm 

rexxz wrote:
Not sure what you mean by "supposed" to like, to be quite honest. Unless that's just another way of phrasing "something you like that you usually do not". I can tell on the first listen if I like it or not, and it usually doesn't go much deeper than that. Never really put too much consideration on whether what I like matches what I or others think I am supposed to or not. I wish I could answer with an example but I just never experienced this before.

Quote:

Because in my mind, any song can match those descriptions but it doesn't mean I wasn't supposed to like the song. A good song is a good song no matter where it comes from.

understandable, but what i meant was, in the 1st example, i don't usually like those piano intros, after the 1st listen i just skip them and never look back, this one is different, i don't even like that particular album that much and i just keep playing it just so i can listen to the intro

that's what i meant when i wrote "you're not supposed to like it", because all other times you've listened to similar stuff, you dismissed it right away and yet for some reason that is an exception

for a more extreme example: i don't like pop/electronic/funk/hip hop or whatever this is,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S8id5ZuolFE
yet, i've listened to this song more times than i cared to count or am proud of

CannibalCorpse
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 3:14 pm 

Blue Hotel.

Adder's Fork - These Mountains Cast Great Shadows - NEW!
Adder's Fork + Dea Artio/In Dornen/Winter's Breath - A Gathering of Four - Split - NEW!
Adder's Fork - Website
Reviewer for Antichrist Magazine

Reply to topic