Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
That Luna Guy
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:16 am 

" Swedish visionary metallers SOILWORK have revealed the details for their impatiently awaited new album. The band's 11th studio record will be entitled »Verkligheten« and marks their first in more than three years and also the first to feature Bastian Thusgaard on drums, who replaced Dirk Verbeuren in 2016.

»Verkligheten« is set to be released on January 11, 2019 via Nuclear Blast. The first edition digipack as well as the vinyl versions will also contain the exclusive »Underworld« EP, carrying 4 more songs."

»Verkligheten« album tracklist:
01. Verkligheten
02. Arrival
03. Bleeder Despoiler
04. Full Moon Shoals
05. The Nurturing Glance
06. When The Universe Spoke
07. Stålfågel
08. The Wolves Are Back In Town
09. Witan
10. The Ageless Whisper
11. Needles And Kin (feat. Tomi Joutsen/AMORPHIS)
12. You Aquiver

»Underworld« Bonus EP tracklist:
13. Summerburned and Winterblown
14. In This Master's Tale
15. The Undying Eye
16. Needles And Kin (original version)

They have also released a new track https://youtu.be/nuItul-D0PA

Im a pretty big fan of Soilwork, while they have been bathing in mediocrity for a good chunk of their career, ever since "the living infinite" they've been getting really back on track with good albums that, while not being the beloved Melodic Death metal stuff of their old days, are fairly unique and well written Metalcore albums that set themselves apart from most of the boring schlock expected of that scene.

Bloodstone
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 2:53 am 

This band has been on a roll since Panic Broadcast. Really love how they pack so many little leads and other flourishes everywhere on their recent stuff. Very busy sounding stuff, but Soilwork pull it off quite well and The Living Infinite is actually my favorite album they ever put out.

Don’t know if there will be Swedish sung parts on the album (maybe Stålfågel (Steelbird)), but if you want to hear what Björn Strid growling in Swedish sounds like there’s the middle part of Disarmonia Mundi’s ”Swallow the Flames”.

Dullahan
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 11:02 am 

Solid modern stuff. A part of me just wishes Strid would drop the screams entirely (or at least tone them down) since they've become so nondescript and just go for a full clean sung record, as he's grown into a capable vocalist. Now THAT would be a real change. Maybe it could even justify all that "visionary" talk in their press releases.

Jebator
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 3:41 pm 

Dullahan wrote:
Solid modern stuff. A part of me just wishes Strid would drop the screams entirely (or at least tone them down) since they've become so nondescript and just go for a full clean sung record, as he's grown into a capable vocalist. Now THAT would be a real change. Maybe it could even justify all that "visionary" talk in their press releases.

Dude, The Night Flight Orchestra? Check your facts before speaking on the internet. Its not that hard.

Dullahan
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 4:58 pm 

Jebator wrote:
Dullahan wrote:

Dude, The Night Flight Orchestra? Check your facts before speaking on the internet. Its not that hard.

I love TNFO. I meant a fully clean sung Soilwork record (since this is thread about Soilwork), that's why I mentioned their press releases. Way to blow a gasket over nothing.

cultofkraken
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 7:56 pm 

Dullahan wrote:
Dullahan wrote:

I love TNFO. I meant a fully clean sung Soilwork record (since this is thread about Soilwork), that's why I mentioned their press releases. Way to blow a gasket over nothing.

Why would anyone want that? There’s nothing visionary about only having sung vocals.

Pitiless Wanderer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 8:11 pm 

That song sounds pretty good actually. I have never been a huge Soilwork fan, but I do have to say that this guy's voice has aged so well. He actually sounds better now than when he was younger, IMO. Perhaps his work with NFO prompted him to take some vocal lessons or something? His performance on the new NFO is stellar.

Dullahan
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 1:48 pm 

New video up: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AHZhl_pniUY

Song starts a little slow but picks up later on, especially during the solo. So far, so good.

Cianan
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 3:51 pm 

Hm, I love Soilwork's first two albums, but after that it's very hit and miss. The new track Arrival isn't too bad, and I was getting some Symmetric in Design era Scar Symmetry vibes from it. The title track though, nah, that's just not my cup of tea.

Reply to topic