Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Dembo
Dumbo

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 11:38 am 

Aftermath, from Illinois, will release their follow-up to Eyes of Tomorrow, from 1994. No release date yet as far as I know.

The song even has a website:
https://www.smashresetcontrol.com/

Last edited by Dembo on Sat Jan 12, 2019 12:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 5:32 pm 

And unsurprisingly that sucked balls! Sounds nothing like Eyes of Tomorrow and has a zero amount of tech/prog in there, so I'd say that my expectations for this album are as low as they can get.

Don't get me wrong, I'm very fond of the band's sole album, but this? Meh...

savagevelocithrash
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 7:35 pm 

This sounds like an attempt to going back to the "Killing The Future" thrashcore days. I love that demo, but this sounds very tired. Maybe the rest of the album is different, because i can feel some "Eyes Of Tomorrow" in those vocals.

Dembo
Dumbo

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:48 am 

The thing is, they have for a long time posted various snippets from new songs, and from those I got more of an Eyes of Tomorrow vibe. We'll just gonna have to wait and see how the album as a whole will sound like.

Temple Of Blood
Old Man Yells at Cloud

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 12:10 pm 

Whoa, this is a return that I never anticipated.

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 12:19 pm 

Dembo wrote:
The thing is, they have for a long time posted various snippets from new songs, and from those I got more of an Eyes of Tomorrow vibe. We'll just gonna have to wait and see how the album as a whole will sound like.

Fair enough. ;)

Dembo
Dumbo

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 8:31 am 

Cover art published:

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 4:13 pm 

So, "we the people" along with "the united states of america" and what seems like a freemasonry symbol. Political/NWO much?!

Any news on the music?

thrashinbatman
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 6:36 pm 

That's one of those titles where the album has to be great, because otherwise all the reviews will just be snarky jokes based around the title. :lol:

Temple Of Blood
Old Man Yells at Cloud

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 11:52 pm 

Far more punk than I expected. Pass.

Dembo
Dumbo

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 10:05 am 

About the musical direction, I found this on their homepage, suggesting that my earlier comment about there also being more Eyes of Tomorrow-type stuff on the album:

"The new album There is Something Wrong is an 11-song opus. A concept record in the truest sense of the word, the album features a mix of old-school crossover thrash and technical/progressive metal, and is a commentary on what is wrong with the world today. A calling out of the masses to wake up and know the real enemy. The music is urgent, and the lyrics challenge the listener to seek the truth."
https://aftermathchicago.com

And about the first song posted, from an interview:
"One of the tracks we wrote was Smash Reset Control. We wanted to capture the crossover sound of the 1980s. We weren't sure how it would come out. So many bands say they are returning to their roots and then they record something that sounds nothing like the old stuff. Not to mention any one in particular, but I'm sure you know of a few of them. So when Smash came out sounding the way it did, we were blown away. It was plucked right out of 1986. The lyrics of that track needed the music to sound and be a crossover thrash track."
https://www.antimusic.com/news/18/Decem ... lamp.shtml

Temple Of Blood
Old Man Yells at Cloud

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 10:22 am 

Interesting. I guess we'll see if it is as varied as advertised. Thanks for the info.

fourrobert13
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 10:41 am 

Dembo wrote:
About the musical direction, I found this on their homepage, suggesting that my earlier comment about there also being more Eyes of Tomorrow-type stuff on the album:

"The new album There is Something Wrong is an 11-song opus. A concept record in the truest sense of the word, the album features a mix of old-school crossover thrash and technical/progressive metal, and is a commentary on what is wrong with the world today. A calling out of the masses to wake up and know the real enemy. The music is urgent, and the lyrics challenge the listener to seek the truth."
https://aftermathchicago.com

And about the first song posted, from an interview:
"One of the tracks we wrote was Smash Reset Control. We wanted to capture the crossover sound of the 1980s. We weren't sure how it would come out. So many bands say they are returning to their roots and then they record something that sounds nothing like the old stuff. Not to mention any one in particular, but I'm sure you know of a few of them. So when Smash came out sounding the way it did, we were blown away. It was plucked right out of 1986. The lyrics of that track needed the music to sound and be a crossover thrash track."
https://www.antimusic.com/news/18/Decem ... lamp.shtml

Reminds me of Havok's press release for Conformicide.

Dembo
Dumbo

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 12:33 pm 

Updated the thread title with the (at least digital) release date.

New song:

Wrldeatr
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 3:13 pm 

The cover is pretty good.

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 4:09 pm 

Dembo wrote:
Updated the thread title with the (at least digital) release date.

New song:

Thanks man!

That song though, what the fuu.....?! :ugh:

Red_Death
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 4:18 pm 

This is comedy gold :lol: :lol: :lol:

I'm just disappointed there's no mention of pork bellies futures.

tomcat_ha
Minister of Boiling Water

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 6:58 pm 

wow this is amazingly bad, hilarious.

Vadara
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:24 pm 

Are lyric videos a thing crossing over to Metal from -core? Because for a long time they were exclusively a -core thing.

Also I CANNOT get into this vocal style Thrash uses sometimes where the vocalist just kinda shouts without actually growling or screaming.

theposega
Mezla

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:31 pm 

this is almost metal enterprises bad. the songwriting is so scatterbrained, the lyrics are half-formed alex jones rants, the riffs are fucking abysmal. "moving your money around in complicated ways" wow so insightful. i had tears in my eyes like 30 seconds in just laughing at this song allegedly written by grown ass adults.

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:15 pm 

Man that was something special. It's incredible how he manages to completely lose the beat during the "HOLLYWOOD! VATICAN! FBI! CIA!" part because they're all just three simple syllables and he still fucks it up and somehow makes it onto the final product. Then that part ends with the brilliant "THEY LIE BY DECEIVING" which is just *kisses fingers*. They should've titled it "We Live In a Society".
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

true_death
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:24 pm 

Just listened to it... :o. I mean, Aftermath were always a little "eccentric" in their approach (that weird funk-thrash song "Being" for example), but this is just...embarrassing. Album title is apt, at the very least :lol:!

Vadara wrote:
Are lyric videos a thing crossing over to Metal from -core? Because for a long time they were exclusively a -core thing.

Yes, but the "cross over" happened back in 2010-2011 :lol:. Labels have been doing it for all kinds of bands since then, -core and otherwise. It hasn't really been an exclusively -core thing since like 2008-2009 and back then they were mostly fan-made rather than promotional, if I recall correctly.

cultofkraken
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 12:33 am 

BastardHead wrote:
Man that was something special. It's incredible how he manages to completely lose the beat during the "HOLLYWOOD! VATICAN! FBI! CIA!" part because they're all just three simple syllables and he still fucks it up and somehow makes it onto the final product. Then that part ends with the brilliant "THEY LIE BY DECEIVING" which is just *kisses fingers*. They should've titled it "We Live In a Society".

This just had me cackling. So true.

tomcat_ha
Minister of Boiling Water

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:13 am 

The mother fuckers 30 odd secs in is what gets me the most.

GuntherTheUndying
Crimson King, Eater of Worlds

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:24 am 

My favorite part:

Quote:
Playing games with your money. Moving it around, moving it around....in complicated ways!

You heard it here first: money circulating in an economy is now part of the DEEP STATE. We can't explain it, but it's moving around in 'complicated ways.' Like, I bought a cheeseburger, and a few days later the dollar I used was deposited into a BANK ACCOUNT. FALSE FLAG.

Holy hell.

Obligatory Last FM Link

Dembo
Dumbo

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 9:37 am 

New song and tracklist:

1. Can You Feel It?
2. False Flag Flying
3. Diethanasia
4. Scientists and Priest
5. Smash Reset Control
6. Gaslight
7. A Handful of Dynamite
8. Temptation Overthrown
9. Pseudocide
10. There Is Something Wrong
11. Expulsion

Razakel
Nekroprince

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 3:58 pm 

Never heard of this band but holy christ that song in the OP sounds like something off Ministry's last album. :ugh:

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 6:43 pm 

Dembo wrote:
New song and tracklist:

1. Can You Feel It?
2. False Flag Flying
3. Diethanasia
4. Scientists and Priest
5. Smash Reset Control
6. Gaslight
7. A Handful of Dynamite
8. Temptation Overthrown
9. Pseudocide
10. There Is Something Wrong
11. Expulsion

:o :o :o :o :o

My jaw literally fell flat on the fucking floor... I don't know how but this one managed to be the absolute fucking worse of all three songs already released, and worse than that accompanied by an absolutely horrid video that sounds and looks like this is a band of fucking amateurs that just learnt how to play their guitars yesterday and have no fucking clue about how to write a song or write accompanying lyrics.

Excuse my excessive profanity, BUT THIS FUCKING AND UTTERLY SUCKS FUCKING MONKEY DICKS IN THE ASS ROOOARRGH....

Holy fuck, I had this band in a special place and always recommend them when someone wants more tech/prog thrash. But that is just fucking sad. Like a bad April's Fool joke...

CCSaint10
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 8:46 pm 

Don't fucking tell me the whole band going out of time repeatedly is supposed to be "technical" or "progressive."

This is embarrassing

ModusOperandi
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 9:07 pm 

These songs feel as if there were spoken word rants recorded on their own first and then the music around them later as an afterthought. Very strange and disconnected.

AT FIRST, I'M NOT AN IDIOT, MORE RESPECT.

PurpleDoom
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 9:35 pm 

Stuff like this is why it's such a waste to use 0% ratings to make a point. Some music really, truly is just that terrible.

doomicus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 11:24 pm 

Might purchase for comedic value. Hot damn I thought the descriptions in this thread were hyperbole, but, I thought dead wrong.

MutantClannfear
Blank Czech

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 12:00 am 

I've been appreciating this silently, but holy shit, that last song... it sounds like a radio commercial where they spit out all the terms and conditions at rapid speed before the product jingle of "DIETHANASIA! (FROM THE BLACK HOUSE)" wraps up the ad.

theposega
Mezla

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 12:30 am 

The beginning of it is also fucking crazy as hell. So many clips of varying volume/sound quality and shit. Fucking embarrassing on all levels.

This transcends mere heavy metal. Honestly, this would be huge if anyone actually gave a shit about this band.

Vadara
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 3:44 am 

Are they trying to be like...really punky?

Because this really sounds like they're trying to be punk but just, like, fucking it up miserably.

oh man this is gonna become the newest meme album to review like the Enmity and Waking the Cadaver ones, isn't it?

Dembo
Dumbo

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 9:26 am 

I listened to these songs after having listened to Suicidal Tendencies' self-titled album and they're not too shabby for a punkier style than Eyes of Tomorrow. I think many expected the technical prog thrash of Eyes of Tomorrow, and react from that.

But, as I said before, I recall hearing short clips from the upcoming album that sounded more EoT-ish, so the album may be varied, which also comments from the band suggests.

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 11:59 am 

Between this and Ministry last year, I think it's time to officially coin "Chicago Wokeness" as a legit musical flaw. It is stunning how bad this is. How the fuck do they keep losing the beat across several different songs? You're in the studio! You have infinity tries to get it right!
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

~Guest 282118
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 12:52 pm 

Is nobody else gonna point out the hilarious "madafakaaaaa" after "Zoid is here to set you free" in False Flag Flying? Like holy shit, I had to actually prevent myself from squirting beer out of my nose when I heard that.

I had never heard of this band before, but this is one hell of a first impression.

waiguoren
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 12:58 pm 

This album is The Room of metal.

Vadara
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 2:07 pm 

BastardHead wrote:
Between this and Ministry last year, I think it's time to officially coin "Chicago Wokeness" as a legit musical flaw. It is stunning how bad this is. How the fuck do they keep losing the beat across several different songs? You're in the studio! You have infinity tries to get it right!

Nothing about this sounds very "woke". It sounds more like kinda batshit ancap/libertarian ranting and raving.

Reply to topic Go to page 1, 2  Next