Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Osmiumthemetal
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 1:11 pm 

Doubtless this topic has existed before, but it's time for some current opinions. Give some reasoning for your choices to prevent this becoming a list topic.

My all time favourite Maiden song full-stop is Purgatory. A speed metal song full of brilliant riffs, limitless energy, classic solo, Clive's drumming is frantic and flawless, and among the best performance Di'anno ever gave. This song was always the highlight of Killers for me. It's a bit strange this song tends to be one of the more overlooked ones, I bet if this was a Dickinson original it would probably placed up there with The Trooper and others by most, because it just screams classic.

Other Di'anno favourites would be Phantom of the Opera for it's super twisting nature and really gloomy atmosphere throughout that most Dickinson Maiden lacks, no doubt supported by Di'anno's vocals. Sanctuary is another classic for me, with one of the best solos in metal history in my opinion. Iron Maiden itself is amazing, with really emotional riffs. Honestly I could place the entire first album as favourites for me, Di'anno absolutely makes that record.

My favourite Dickinson song is probably Die With Your Boots On, with a really interesting structure and much more morose riffs in comparison to The Trooper. The Duelists would probably be up there too with one of the greatest instrumental segments in Maiden history. Infinite Dreams also comes to mind as another song that twists absolutely everywhere in its 6 minute runtime. Hallowed Be Thy Name of course has to be mentioned too, but I've often thought it sounds like it would fit Di'anno more than Bruce and I've always thought of what it would sound like with the former. I'm convinced it was written, or at least was planned when Di'anno was still in the band.

Dungeon_Vic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 1:24 pm 

Powerslave and Rime of the Ancient Mariner. Powerslave was the first song from Maiden I heard in 1985, when I was 8 and I immediately fell in love with it as something completely different from anything else yet so exciting.

Rime is just perfect Maiden with a huge dose of atmosphere, a song that feels like 6 minutes.

Those two songs are peak Iron Maiden for me and while the entire album isn't on the same level, it's my favorite Maiden album as well.

Vic's Dungeon - Remember the Fallen:
Jeff Hanneman: Evil Notes and Sad Riffs
Chuck Schuldiner (Death)
Paul Baloff (Exodus)
Holy Terror and Keith Deen
Roger Patterson (Atheist)

~Guest 343918
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 1:43 pm 

Where Eagles Dare: great riffs and what's best, no superfluous soloing like in so many Maiden songs.

idunnosomename
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 4:08 pm 

Regarding Hallowed being pre-Dickinson, I think the four songs he had a hand in on NotB were Children of the Damned, The Prisoner, Number of the Beast and Run to the Hills. I'm not sure about NotB but certainly that he liked playing The Prisoner solo I think shows he was a big part of that song. So Hallowed may have been Harris' baby for a long time (especially since so many of lyrics were pinched from Beckett's 1974 album).

Oh yeah favs are the Dickinson songs. Revelations and Powerslave especially.

severzhavnost
Something Stupid

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 4:20 pm 

Vigintiseptem wrote:
Where Eagles Dare: great riffs and what's best, no superfluous soloing like in so many Maiden songs.

I easily rank “Where Eagles Dare” as Iron Maiden’s greatest drumming performance. And it is in general one of their heaviest songs, alongside “The Trooper” and “Montsegur”. Fifteen years later, “Montsegur” still slaps my ass, and it has some of their finest obscure history type lyrics.
Among their longer songs, “Brighter than a Thousand Suns” has everything. The menacing buildup, that “...there it is!” moment when it jumps up a notch (we will feel the pain of his beginning), a super crunchy riff and lyrics that are just beyond.
It’s so powerful that your stomachs will damn.
Bulgogi Kimchi Bibimbap waffle burger! Holy shit! litterally shit!

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 4:27 pm 

"The Number of the Beast" - Crackling with energy; just this fireball, scorcher of a song. Bruce is iconic and there's nothing else that sounds like this. I can't imagine what it would've been like to hear this back in the early 80s when the band wasn't entrenched in this kind of style yet.

"Flight of Icarus" - Kick ass, unforgettable mid tempo marching riff and a super bombastic vocal performance. Always so much fun.

"Powerslave" - Just so epic, with that monster Egyptian riff, the dynamic epic structure and those fucking bad ass lyrics. This is basically a perfect metal song.

"Wasted Years" - Commercial and catchy, but still undeniably metal with great performances. This is just an unforgettable song and I wouldn't change a thing about it.

"Isle of Avalon" - This song has always taken me on a musical journey and I like every part of it from the rapid-fire chorus to the more mid-paced rock riff in one of the bridge parts. Epic as hell.

"Empire of the Clouds" - Definitely over-excessive, but I don't really view it as a bad thing. It's full of life and revels in how excessive it is.

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 4:35 pm 

Aces High is the first song that comes to mind. The introduction has those adrenalizing chords, the verses and pre-choruses are at the perfect level of intensity, and the choruses are soaring in the way that no power metal band can ever achieve. Despite only having two verse-chorus sets, it feels complete and doesn't resort to the recycling common in the Di'Anno era. Also the perfect concert opener.

Moonchild is another major favorite. In addition to being another amazing opener with the acoustic opening transitioning to another sweet buildup and fast verses, the whole thing is absolutely diabolical. Between Bruce throwing out every occult reference he can muster, the riffs are thoroughly twisted. The solo section is just plain EVIL in a way that so few replicate. The whole thing makes Number of the Beast look like child's play.

Vintersorrow
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 4:44 pm 

Prowler. Short and catchy with instantly recognizable punk vibe which suited them perfectly in DiAnno era.

Where Eagles Dare and Powerslave for reasons already mentioned above.

Infinite Dreams for introspective, laid back atmosphere and cathartic finish.

Alexander the Great and Sign of the Cross among epics. Masterful songwriting without a note wasted.

Ghost of the Navigator and Starblind from later material. The former is probably my favorite Maiden track ever made. The bridge part will always send chills down my spine. Starblind for lyrics alone.

Last edited by Vintersorrow on Sun Sep 23, 2018 3:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Conan Troutman
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 5:54 pm 

Favourite song overall - Hallowed Be Thy Name

Favourite other Dickinson song - Fear of the Dark

Favourite Di'Anno songs - Remember Tomorrow and Innocent Exile

Thy Shrine
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 7:12 pm 

Just here to say that To Tame A Land, and Sign of the Cross are Iron Maiden's best epics, as well as among their best songs.

I've always loved Infinite Dreams, because of the beginning soft part of the song, and same thing for Remember Tommorow.

But seriously, Tame, and Sign rule supreme.

Perhaps.

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 8:01 pm 

Obligatory "The Number of the Beast," "Hallowed Be Thy Name," "2 Minutes to Midnight," and "Run to the Hills."

My top spots also include "Gangland," "The Prisoner," "Deja Vu," "Rime of the Ancient Mariner," and "Wasted Years."

Oxenkiller
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 9:35 pm 

Vigintiseptem wrote:

I hate to be all "mee too!!!" but... Yeah, if that isn't my all time favorite, it is certainly right up there in the top two or three.
One of the greatest riffs in all of metal, not just in all of Maiden's discography.

true_death
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 10:26 pm 

I'll be a little controversial and admit I fucking love the widely despised song "The Apparition", that song has such a fun, rockin' vibe about it that always gets me in a good mood. Other favorites of mine include "Still Life", "The Duellists", and "The Clairvoyant".

Bates
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 1:26 am 

Rime of the Ancient Mariner and Alexander the Great for me. I love me some epics.

LordStenhammar
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 2:41 am 

Here's some:

Killers - Huge energy in this song. That bass and those screams!
Children of the Damned - Just a well executed heavy metal track. Love the solo.
Aces High and Rime of the Ancient Mariner - Former got me started with Maiden, and latter is a top 5 song of all times for me.
The Clairvoyant - The first song I loved from Seventh Son. It used to be my favourite Maiden album, not sure anymore, though.
Sign of the Cross - Blaze Maiden at their best.
When the Wild Wind Blows - Been listening this quite much lately. To me this is their last really BIG song.

Cosmic_Equilibrium
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 4:00 am 

I've gone for a mix of obvious favourites and some deeper cuts for my top 10:

1) Sign Of The Cross = the ultimate Maiden epic and their finest hour in terms of song writing, regardless of what anyone says. I prefer the Bruce-sung live versions but the studio version is great too. This song is just mighty, epic, and fantastic. One of my favourite metal songs ever, in fact in all of music really. Finally seeing it performed live this year was fantastic.

2) Aces High = One of their all-time great openers

3) Powerslave = Epic and fantastic

4) Phantom Of The Opera = Their first proper epic, and a song that should always be in the set list IMO. Still a rewarding listen.

5) Caught Somewhere In Time = Possibly their heaviest song and a fantastic opener with a really great atmosphere to it. The whole SiT album is very listenable and rewards repeated plays. Would love to hear this one played live.

6) Killers = The title track of their weakest album, but it's a stormer. A real sense of atmosphere and ambience and noir to all versions of it, live or studio.

7) Running Free = Perhaps a little basic, but this has always been in my top ten Maiden songs, I love hearing it live with the extended crowd interaction.

8) Infinite Dreams = The highlight of Seventh Son, and a powerful, progressive metal epic.

9) Paschendale = Smith's attempt at writing an epic, with some help, and it works. Majestically. A very powerful and poignant song which needs to be in the set more often.

10) The Legacy = Simply amazing. Their best closing song ever, IMO. Very interesting structure (I can never understand why Gers is criticised by some; his playing and off-the-wall songwriting really bring something extra to the table for the band, and he's so energetic to watch live) and an extremely powerful and thought-provoking set of lyrics.

lordcatfish
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 4:14 am 

Aces High - an amazing, energetic opener with a great sing a long chorus. One of my favourite live songs.
The Evil That Men Do - another one of my favourite live songs. Builds up to the chorus really well.
Rainmaker - fantastic melodies and some highly memorable vocal hooks.
Stranger in a Strange Land - really captures the mood and tone of the lyrics. Top solo from Smith as well.
Blood Brothers - Gers plays my favourite Maiden solo in this one (just before the final chorus) that perfectly encapsulates the emotion of the song.

Xymosys
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 1:33 pm 

Stranger in a strange land - such a great tune with super atmosphere, and that Smith's solo is my personal pick for the best metal solo ever preformed!

Moonchild + Infinite dreams + The evil that mad do - spine chilling and Maiden's best occult masterpieces.

Powerslave + Hallowed be thy name - well, one of the best metal crushing hyms ever made.

The Phobos
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 2:45 pm 

Phantom of the Opera and Another Life. I only really care about Iron Maiden with Paul Di'Anno and I think they never outdid these first two Album.
Phantom of the Opera is a no-brainer for favourite Iron Maiden song with its atmosphere and epic length. Another Life I choose because I alwys liked Di'Anno's vocal performance on the track and because obviously I like the songwriting. It was also one of the first Iron Maiden Songs with Di'Anno on vocals that I've heard.

MatsBG
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 4:54 pm 

Vintersorrow wrote:
Prowler. Short and catchy with instantly recognizable punk vibe which suited them perfectly in DiAnno era.

Alexander the Great and Sign of the Cross among epics. Masterful songwriting without a note wasted.

Ghost of the Navigator and Starblind from later material. The former is probably my favorite Maiden track ever made. The bridge part will always send chills down my spine. Starblind for lyrics alone.

Second the Starblind statement! Absolutely fantastic song and one of their best! Took some time, but when it did grew on me, oh boy did it grow.

kluseba
Making Metal Archives Reviews Great Again!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 7:46 pm 

My preferences diverge from time to time but as of today, I would list the following ten tracks.

1. Alexander the Great - outstanding atmospheric, guitar solos out of this world and interesting topic

2. Sign of the Cross - Sinister and moving, a dark and timeless epic

3. Rime of the Ancient Mariner - Thirteen and a half minutes of music never sounded so energetic and entertaining

4. Wasted Years - The band's greatest single, full of emotions carried by superb guitar work and poignant vocals

5. Fear of the Dark - It just never gets old, great structure, outstanding atmosphere and timeless live classic

6. Hallowed Be thy Name - Atmospheric, profound and technically brilliant and especially the overture is pure gold

7. The Trooper - Short and sweet, aggressive yet memorable, everything pushed to the limit

8. The Prisoner - Fast and uplifting but also with menacing and sinister undertones, inspired by one of the greatest television shows ever made

9. Murders in the Rue Morgue - The contrast between the melancholic and melodic overture and the progressively aggressive body of the tune gets me every single time

10. Prodigal Son - Criminally underrated acoustic guitar piece with mythic lyrics that oozes with atmosphere

''Room 819'': http://kluseba.eklablog.com/room-819-a-short-story-a213183053

Aydross
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 10:50 pm 

Hallowed be thy Name - I always get goosebumps with this song. I've wanted to cry because of how good this is.

Moonchild - HEAR THE MANDRAKE SCREAM HIAAAAAGHHHH

Infinite Dreams - Really fantastic lyrics here about being trapped in some interdimensional/seemingly infinite dreams with the narrator going either insane and/or enlightened.

Lord_Jotun
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 8:50 am 

MatsBG wrote:
Vintersorrow wrote:

Second the Starblind statement! Absolutely fantastic song and one of their best! Took some time, but when it did grew on me, oh boy did it grow.

Joining the Starblind worship. It may get a bit repetitive by the end, but the emotional intensity never lets up and makes it work, thanks in no small part to the absolutely staggering lyrics.

Since many of my picks have already been mentioned, I'll nominate a few personal from an oft maligned record:

- No Prayer for the Dying: the recurring opening theme is just gorgeous, and the buildup from morose, contemplative verses to full on instrumental intensity works exceptionally well with the subject matter.

- Run Silent, Run Deep: stomping grooves, tight riffs and urgent atmospheres create, once again, a fantastic feedback between music and lyrics.

- Mother Russia: a criminally overlooked epic closer, with deliciously haunting instrumental segments.
Orgiastic Pleasures
Rust
Black Druid Hymns - my projects on YouTube

jimbies
Noose Springsteen

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 9:52 am 

I think I have I have only one vote, I've gotta go with "Fear Of The Dark"

~Guest 171512
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 1:31 pm 

Caught Somewhere in Time - This has been my favorite Maiden song since the first time I heard it. Both fast and epic, it's the perfect IM song. If I listen to this while I'm running, I have to pick up the pace. And there's one other thing about this song that makes it so amazing: the solos! Holy shit, this has got to have the best solo section in any Maiden song, and the way it comes out of the last solo back into that charging melody gives me goosebumps. I also love Bruce's cheesy but awesome laugh when he says, 'Eternally! Heh heh heh heh - just let yourself go!' Total perfection. I understand they've only played this once or twice live, at the beginning of the 'Somewhere in Time' tour, and it didn't come off well, but I think they should give it another try. I'm sure they could pull it off successfully.

Aces High - Another perfect opener. I can't think of any way it could be improved.

Ghost of the Navigator - My favorite song on 'Brave New World', which was the first Maiden album I ever heard. This whole album takes me back to a great time of life, and this song especially seems to capture that wonderful feeling. The sense of adventure is palpable.

I could go on picking more favorite Maiden songs, but since I don't feel like it right now, I'll just say 'the entire 'Seventh Son of a Seventh Son' album. I really can't pick individual favorite songs from this album, which is unquestionably my favorite IM album. It's basically a flawless record, and the only one I'd unreservedly say has nothing close to a filler.

Oh, what the hell, one last song: If Eternity Should Fail. I love this song so much. That they continue to write songs of such high caliber so late into their career is a true testament to their greatness. (Yes, I know this is Bruce's song, but I'm giving the whole band credit for it.)

Sunioj_Paul
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2018 6:28 pm 

A few of my favourites that have not been mentioned:

Revelations - Thought this would have been listed a lot. One of their best songs. Love the way the guitars go from clean to heavy to add dynamics. Sounds even better live too.

Sea of Madness - Alwyas liked the strange rythms in this one and the way the bass is turned up in the verses. Kinda like Where Eagles Dare cos of the not so straight drum beat. Would love to hear this live.

Only The Good Die Young - One of my favourite album closers, always liked the short melody in the chorus. Sounds very 'final' and couldn't have had a better song to close the album.

Be Quick Or Be Dead - My first Maiden album. What a great fast rocking song, speedy riffs and chords throughout with lots of energy. Like the way Bruce rasps the vocals on this too. Think that From Here To Eternity is a brilliant follow up song on the album. I always see them as a pair.

Wasting Love - May be a bit soppy for some but what a fantastic ballad. Bruce's vocals on the chorus are soaring and great instrumentation throughout, top solo too.

Judas Be My Guide - Seems to be a cult favourite amoung Maiden fans. Up tempo and excellent sing a long chorus.

Dream of Mirrors - Love the intro and the build up in the verse to one of their best choruses, which sounds great slow and fast.

TheLoneForest
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2018 8:00 pm 

Caught Somewhere in Time - Legend. Love the vocal work in this one, has a very memorable chorus and an outstanding solo

Seventh Son of a Seventh Son - The last few minutes are god tier

Paschendale - An underrated classic of their newer material. Love the version on the Death on the Road Live CD

Wasted Years - I love the dual guitar work on this, and it's a song I bonded with my father on

Where Eagles Dare - Niko's drumming is insane on this. Killer guitarwork

Rainmaker - Cheesy, but still a favorite

22 Acacia Avenue - Easily my favorite song from their first 3. Love the energy

at the gaytes
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 10:52 am 

It's more easy to list the songs that I don't like (Prodigal Son, Prisoner, Can I Play WIth Madness ( :puke: ), Heaven can Wait). Probably these are my favorites:

Phantom of the Opera - that harmonized riff before the solo gave me goosebumps the first time I listened to it. A flawless song overall

Murders on the Rue Morgue / Another Life / Purgatory - classics

Drifters - a criminally underrated song. Great riffs, solos and the best performance from Di Anno

Die With Your Boots On / The Trooper - the two best songs from the best album. Never got boring after a decade listening to it

Rime of The Ancient Mariner - an epic done the right way, could be better without the ambient interlude although

The Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner - Another criminally underrated song. Great outro

Holy Smoke / Hooks on You / Public Enema Number One - the only songs from NPFTD that I give a fuck about

Childhood's End / Judas Be My Guide - nothing special, just very good songs

Futureal - catchiest riff ever

Dance of Death - another epic done right

Pudgestomp
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 7:07 pm 

Top 5 (INPO after the first):

The Prophecy - Not just my favorite IM song, it's easily my favorite song of all time.
Moonchild
Infinite Dreams
Wasted Years
Heaven Can Wait

Seventh Son and Somewhere in Time are definitely my favorite IM albums, with Powerslave rounding out the top 3. I wish I was able to find the love most people have for Number of the Beast. It could be because I listened to it after hearing the 3 I listed, but it just doesn't elicit the same response and love I have for those albums.

TheLoneForest
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 10:24 pm 

Pudgestomp wrote:
Top 5 (INPO after the first):

The Prophecy - Not just my favorite IM song, it's easily my favorite song of all time.
Moonchild
Infinite Dreams
Wasted Years
Heaven Can Wait

Seventh Son and Somewhere in Time are definitely my favorite IM albums, with Powerslave rounding out the top 3. I wish I was able to find the love most people have for Number of the Beast. It could be because I listened to it after hearing the 3 I listed, but it just doesn't elicit the same response and love I have for those albums.

I'm the same. Seventh Son, Powerslave and Somewhere in Time are my top 3. Number of the Beast is great, but nothing to those 3

Welcome to the forum, by the way

SculptedCold
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 10:38 pm 

at the gaytes wrote:
It's more easy to list the songs that I don't like

Same here. I just love what Maiden do so much that they really have to drop the ball for me to not enjoy 'em. If I tried to list some of my favourites i'd be compelled to put a few from almost every album. I guess all I can do is say what I definitely don't like, and what just might be my favourite Maiden tune;

The Man Who Would Be King. Love the literary source as inspiration, and it's mostly Bruce's vocals and the particular notes he hits that make the song so moving to me.
or maybe Aces High. It's such a perfectly executed blazing comet of an opener, and it's a big reason I fell in love with Maiden and metal in the first place after hearing it on the Carmageddon II soundtrack. That and of course Be Quick...; Man on the Edge; Trooper.

I went back and listened to The Prophecy after seeing it so liked in the last Maiden thread, and understood why I can never recall it very well. It's decent but I don't get its popularity. I find a lot more modern Maiden both more epic and more catchy than that particular tune. The whole of Final Frontier, for one.
And Empire of the Clouds. I mean, I can't help but compare it to Rime.. and the difference in quality and the success of their ambition is just shocking. Gutted me that their longest-ever song, with such an awesome theme, came-off so disjointed and janky and lame. I like a lot of the melodies and some of the way it develops, but it sounds half-baked with awkward transitions and clunky riffs. Even, to my horror, what I think sounds like just bad, sloppy playing in some of the latter-half leads and riffs. Derail. I love Maiden really.

RakdosWarlord
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 3:15 am 

Afraid to shoot strangers. I like how the pitch of the guitar changes. Kinda tricky for me to articulate - despite listening to a lot of music I don't understand a lot of the terms. Maybe it's time I looked that up. It's a chilling song that made me think of the Vietnam war (I know it's supposed to be a Gulf War soldier's experience but that was my first impression when I heard it the first time.)

Aydross
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 8:02 am 

Pudgestomp wrote:

I've seen some people name this one as their favorite songs, and I always find that interesting. My favorite record by them is seventh son, but if I could pinpoint a negative I think It would be with this song. Not that I don't like it, but I find it a little ... unremarkable?

Again, this is far from bad for me, but I just think it's curious how the one song I find a bit forgettable is some other various persons favorite song ever ( I think it was the angry metal guy who loves this track too).

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 8:20 am 

The Prophecy has those cool bookending melodic bits and I enjoy the shuffle during the verses, but the chorus doesn't quite connect with me. Still a good song but definitely my least favorite on Seventh Son.

Pudgestomp
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 12:53 pm 

I don't know if I can fully pinpoint what exactly I love about the song, other than the lazy "everything about it" response. As Twisted_Psychology mentioned, the intro and outro. Then there's the verses and Bruce's delivery of the vocals. He sounds so convinced he knows he's right and he just desperately needs people to believe him. Then the duality of the parts during the pre-chorus, the way he drops his voice down when he's singing about Lucifer. And even further, the agony in his voice during the chorus when it all becomes true.

I also love the tempo changes during all these parts. The main riff behind the verses is very simple and subdued, but it suits the vocals during those parts. Then as it gets faster it really complements the rest of the emotion.

I think it also gains strength by being part of a concept album. This poor dude has led a pretty miserable existence trying to escape his destiny, and this is just the icing on the shit cake. But even as a standalone track I dig the hell out of it; one of the few songs that still gives me the tingles no matter how many times I listen to it.

And thank you, TheLoneForest, for the welcome!

SculptedCold
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 5:46 am 

Ooops I meant The Legacy. 7th son is 100%.

Lord_Jotun
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 7:14 am 

Sunioj_Paul wrote:
A few of my favourites that have not been mentioned:

Revelations - Thought this would have been listed a lot. One of their best songs. Love the way the guitars go from clean to heavy to add dynamics. Sounds even better live too.

Sea of Madness - Alwyas liked the strange rythms in this one and the way the bass is turned up in the verses. Kinda like Where Eagles Dare cos of the not so straight drum beat. Would love to hear this live.

Only The Good Die Young - One of my favourite album closers, always liked the short melody in the chorus. Sounds very 'final' and couldn't have had a better song to close the album.

Be Quick Or Be Dead - My first Maiden album. What a great fast rocking song, speedy riffs and chords throughout with lots of energy. Like the way Bruce rasps the vocals on this too. Think that From Here To Eternity is a brilliant follow up song on the album. I always see them as a pair.

Wasting Love - May be a bit soppy for some but what a fantastic ballad. Bruce's vocals on the chorus are soaring and great instrumentation throughout, top solo too.

Judas Be My Guide - Seems to be a cult favourite amoung Maiden fans. Up tempo and excellent sing a long chorus.

Dream of Mirrors - Love the intro and the build up in the verse to one of their best choruses, which sounds great slow and fast.

I approve every single entry. Well done, sir, well done.
Orgiastic Pleasures
Rust
Black Druid Hymns - my projects on YouTube

Sick6Six
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 12:22 pm 

I fucking love Maiden and I've been listening to them on and off again in the past few months.

Caught Somewhere in Time, Wasted Years, Long Distance Runner, Alexander... Yeah basically the entire album.
Children of the Damned, Hallowed be Thy Name
Where Eagles Dare, The Trooper, Still Life.
Aces High, 2 Minutes to Midnight, Powerslave, Rime.
Infinite Dreams, The Evil that Men Do
Sunioj_Paul wrote:

^This

Luvers
Writes generic (and possibly meandering) posts

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 1:14 pm 

This is very hard to do in totality, so I will try to do it this way...

Iron Maiden:
  1. Charlotte the Harlot - The soft atmospheric breakdown halfway through the song still remains my all time favorite Maiden moment.
  2. Remember Tomorrow
  3. Strange World - The finest moment of Paul Di'Anno's vocal performances and proof that he was on par with his replacement.

Killers:
  1. Killers
  2. Genghis Khan
  3. Wrathchild
  4. Another Life
  5. Purgatory

What a badass album, clearly the bands greatest work...

The Number of the Beast:
  1. 22 Acacia Avenue
  2. Gangland
  3. Hallowed Be Thy Name

Piece of Mind:
  1. Where Eagles Dare
  2. Revelations
  3. Flight of Icarus

Powerslave:
  1. Aces High
  2. Rime of the Ancient Mariner

Somewhere in Time:
  1. Caught Somewhere in Time
  2. Sea of Madness
  3. Déjà Vu

Seventh Son of a Seventh Son:
  1. The Evil That Men Do
  2. The Clairvoyant

No Prayer for the Dying:
  1. Hooks in You
  2. Fates Warning

Fear of the Dark:
  1. Fear Is the Key
  2. Wasting Love
  3. Chains of Misery

The X Factor
Virtual XI
Brave New World
Dance of Death
A Matter of Life and Death
The Final Frontier
The Book of Souls
- Utter putrid fecal matter forcefully swallowed and regurgitated. I would say Maiden should just retire before ruining their legacy but lets be truthful, that was tarnished decades ago.

Sick6Six
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 1:52 pm 

Luvers666 wrote:
The Book of Souls[/u] - Utter putrid fecal matter forcefully swallowed and regurgitated. I would say Maiden should just retire before ruining their legacy but lets be truthful, that was tarnished decades ago.

At first I thought you were saying this album was awesome, I'm too used to reading black metal reviews :lol:

Reply to topic