Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
traxan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 10:28 pm 

Do they not think this tour would do huge business outside of Japan?

http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/black- ... announced/

BLACK EARTH — the project featuring former and current members of ARCH ENEMY performing material from ARCH ENEMY's first three albums live on stage — will celebrate the 20th anniversary of the "Burning Bridges" LP with a Japanese tour in May 2019.

BLACK EARTH is:

Michael Amott - guitar
Christopher Amott - guitar
Johan Liiva - vocals
Daniel Erlandsson - drums
Sharlee D'Angelo - bass

BLACK EARTH completed its first Japanese tour in May 2016.

ARCH ENEMY recorded three albums with Liiva: "Black Earth" (1996), "Stigmata" (1998) and "Burning Bridges" (1999).

Liiva was replaced by German singer Angela Gossow as ARCH ENEMY's lead vocalist in 2000. Gossow exited the band in 2013 and was succeeded by former THE AGONIST frontwoman Alissa White-Gluz, while remaining as the group's manager.

Christopher Amott first left ARCH ENEMY in 2005, only to return to the group two years later. His second, and apparently final, departure came in March 2012.

Liiva said that it is highly unlikely BLACK EARTH will work on new, original music anytime soon. "There are no plans for any album at the moment because of various reasons," he said. "The other guys are very busy with ARCH ENEMY, Chris has his life in the USA and me being busy at my work. Also, this is more like a project that we enjoy and have a lot of fun doing together. Still, ARCH ENEMY is priority number one and to do something like this would mean it to get more serious. But who knows what will happen in the future."

Thy Shrine
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 7:15 am 

Cool, all we need now is the eventual Carnage reunion.

Perhaps.

FirebathDan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 8:40 am 

As noted in the linked article, this isn't exactly new-they already did this in 2016. In fact, there was a live album released only in Japan in 2017 (which makes me curious if that alone qualifies this for a page on the Archives as a side project).

I would not hold out hope for any new material, and I'm sure there are reasons (possibly legal/contractual) that prevent this from touring the rest of the world.
Obliteration

Opus
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 9:12 am 

FirebathDan wrote:
I'm sure there are reasons (possibly legal/contractual) that prevent this from touring the rest of the world.

How? I would guess they go wherever they are paid to go.

schizoid
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 9:35 am 

Also all of the "Japan Only" versions of albums, that include bonus tracks. Not the only band to do this. Does anyone know whats so special about the Japanese audience? :???:

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 10:04 am 

schizoid wrote:
Also all of the "Japan Only" versions of albums, that include bonus tracks. Not the only band to do this. Does anyone know whats so special about the Japanese audience? :???:

It has something to do with higher import prices for CDs and such if I'm not mistaken.

FirebathDan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 10:11 am 

Opus wrote:
FirebathDan wrote:
I'm sure there are reasons (possibly legal/contractual) that prevent this from touring the rest of the world.

How? I would guess they go wherever they are paid to go.

Just spitballing. Speculative on my end. Maybe CM doesn’t want market conflict with the current Arch Enemy in those territories?
Obliteration

Epicureo
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 12:55 pm 

schizoid wrote:

They actually buy records.

PurpleDoom
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 1:20 pm 

Domestic CD prices are incredibly high in Japan - a new CD will typically run you $20-30. Bonus tracks (as well as often including a second booklet with translated lyrics and liner notes by a Japanese writer) are an incentive to buy the Japanese release rather than getting a cheaper import.

As for why the Black Earth project sticks to Japan, I suspect they just think that's where their audience is.

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 2:51 pm 

traxan wrote:

Maybe it's the case that this band only started selling records when they appealed to the "wow, it's a girl who can growl" morons?

traxan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 3:27 pm 

schizoid wrote:

AE is ridiculously big in Japan. There are tribute bands in almost every major city, it seems like.

Pitiless Wanderer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 11:20 pm 

schizoid wrote:

From what I recall reading, Arch Enemy is the most successful Scandinavian melodeath band to ever go to Japan. They have more fans, sold out shows and album sales than the lot of them. For that reason, Japan has always been a "special place" for the band according to Michael Amott.

TrooperEd
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 12:03 am 

traxan wrote:

They think it probably won't do ANY business outside of Japan.
I didn't know children book fans were so angry.

Peyp
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 2:03 am 

schizoid wrote:
Does anyone know whats so special about the Japanese audience? :???:

Michael Amott has stated in the past that when Arch Enemy started out, Japan was really the only place that cared about them. Apparently Black Earth became massively successful in Japan and the fanfare them was responsible for getting them into the spotlight.

Michael Amott wrote:
The early days of Arch Enemy, those first three albums, had a very high level of success in Japan. In the rest of the world we were just a very small name and we couldn't get ahead because nobody was that interested in us. What we were doing at that time didn't fit the European or American musical taste, and we just couldn't catch a break. The first album was independent, the second and third were on Century Media, so we weren't really moving forward. But in Japan those albums are huge. I remember Arch Enemy putting the Burning Bridges album out in Japan and it outsold the new Iron Maiden record. We were doing very well and it was an intense period because we toured Japan in '97, '98 and '99. Those tours were our first experiences in Japan and reaching a lot of people.

EDIT: I guess it doesn't necessarily explain why Japan-only, so my only answer to that is that in the article Amott describes the reasoning behind the tour as "100% nostalgia". Besides, since Johan and Chris aren't really in the big business anymore the band is probably happier taking this small scale. Also, this was originally done to coincide with the 20th anniversary of some big Japanese rock festival.

Source: http://bravewords.com/features/arch-ene ... -nostalgia

FirebathDan wrote:
In fact, there was a live album released only in Japan in 2017 (which makes me curious if that alone qualifies this for a page on the Archives as a side project).

Probably not. You can interpret it as if they're covering Arch Enemy songs. It's not original material under this name, even if it's their material, so it probably won't count. It'd be cool if this group made new material again though.
Due to the unfortunate reality of our guitarist fucking my girlfriend of almost 7 years WITCHROT will be taking an extended hiatus. I however will continue the band in another space and time... Thanks for the support, stay heavy. Also our drummer died...

RIP DIAMHEA

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 3:45 am 

Peyp wrote:
FirebathDan wrote:
In fact, there was a live album released only in Japan in 2017 (which makes me curious if that alone qualifies this for a page on the Archives as a side project).

Probably not. You can interpret it as if they're covering Arch Enemy songs. It's not original material under this name, even if it's their material, so it probably won't count. It'd be cool if this group made new material again though.

Didn't God Seed have a live album that was Gorgoroth songs? They got a page with that prior to them releasing an album of their own.
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

Lord_Jotun
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 10:32 am 

I just wish at least the cd got released over here too; I'd be interested to hear that set.
Orgiastic Pleasures
Rust
Black Druid Hymns - my projects on YouTube

FirebathDan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 10:37 am 

OzzyApu wrote:
Didn't God Seed have a live album that was Gorgoroth songs? They got a page with that prior to them releasing an album of their own.

That is true. Even more bizarre about that God Seed live album is that it was recorded when they were using the name Gorgoroth during the name dispute in 2008, and had to be retconned under the name God Seed for release 3-4 years after the show took place (without any Infernus penned songs). I cannot recall from that time period if that band had a page on the basis of that live album alone, or if it was due to the full length released 9 months later the same year (side note: this full length remains an outstanding listen and easily crushes the two albums released by Infernus after the name dispute was resolved).

I mean, I have no dog in the hunt on this whole Black Earth being on the Archives thing, I was essentially thinking out loud.
Obliteration

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 12:21 pm 

FirebathDan wrote:
OzzyApu wrote:

That is true. Even more bizarre about that God Seed live album is that it was recorded when they were using the name Gorgoroth during the name dispute in 2008, and had to be retconned under the name God Seed for release 3-4 years after the show took place (without any Infernus penned songs). I cannot recall from that time period if that band had a page on the basis of that live album alone, or if it was due to the full length released 9 months later the same year (side note: this full length remains an outstanding listen and easily crushes the two albums released by Infernus after the name dispute was resolved).

I mean, I have no dog in the hunt on this whole Black Earth being on the Archives thing, I was essentially thinking out loud.

(seconded on the God Seed album being great)

I'm with your line of thinking though, as their page was created in January 2012 where only that live album could have existed at that point. The single and album weren't announced until September. So they had to have been accepted based on a live album alone. You may have been thinking out loud, but it was accurate.

Anyway, AE were always best as this incarnation in my view. Great melodic death that got dumbed down hard as the years went by.
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

Lord_Jotun
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 2:58 pm 

That's why I'd be interested to hear it. This is the most interested I've felt in AE in years.
I liked the first two albums with Angela but since Doomsday Machine it's been a long way down.
Orgiastic Pleasures
Rust

FirebathDan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 3:27 pm 

Lord_Jotun wrote:
That's why I'd be interested to hear it. This is the most interested I've felt in AE in years.
I liked the first two albums with Angela but since Doomsday Machine it's been a long way down.

Here you go.

Maybe not quite what you are looking for (it seems you'd like to get your hands on the actual CD), but should nonetheless serve to give you a taste.
Obliteration

Temple Of Blood
Old Man Yells at Cloud

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 7:41 pm 

Every band with a divided fan base should do this. How does it hurt to play some shows every so often and satisfy your fan base? It can't be THAT much extra work.

So many bands are looking for extra revenue streams ... well here you go.

Even Fates Warning eventually wised up and went this route.

Lord_Jotun
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 7:58 am 

:beer:
FirebathDan wrote:
Lord_Jotun wrote:

Here you go.

Maybe not quite what you are looking for (it seems you'd like to get your hands on the actual CD), but should nonetheless serve to give you a taste.

I was indeed talking about purchasing a physical copy, but I really appreciate your kind gesture all the same :beer:
Orgiastic Pleasures
Rust

FirebathDan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 8:34 am 

Lord_Jotun wrote:
:beer:
FirebathDan wrote:
Lord_Jotun wrote:

Here you go.

I was indeed talking about purchasing a physical copy, but I really appreciate your kind gesture all the same :beer:

Anytime, of course.

For all the talk over the years of Liiva being a shitty live performer, he doesn't sound too bad here.
Obliteration

Pitiless Wanderer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 8:58 pm 

At least Michael still has some charisma and stage presence. Johan does too. Chris, on the other hand, is a horrific live performer. He plays everything perfectly but with zero energy. It brings the show down.

Last edited by Pitiless Wanderer on Sun Dec 16, 2018 5:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fearoth
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 11:26 pm 

This is great to see, just when you thought Ammott & co were all about the female growler gimmick nowadays.
They sound better than ever on 20 Years Of Dark Insanity IMO, even Liiva's vocals seem improved somehow. Chris always on point as usual. It would be great if they kept this up or maybe even wrote new material although unlikely.

Lord_Jotun
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 5:05 am 

Liiva has always been adequate for this job; Arch Enemy never were a vocal-centric band. I liked Angela before they started piling all sorts of studio trickery on her voice to mask its deterioration but I never thought her arrival marked *that* much of an improvement.
Orgiastic Pleasures
Rust

Reply to topic