Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
schizoid
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 6:39 am 

...and people responding to threads like this.

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 6:58 am 

idunnosomename wrote:
I kind of like the "fuckin' around" vibe that Metallica still have on stage despite them being a multi-million brand. It's the one thing they have over their equals, the set-in-stone setlist, practically choreographed Iron Maiden. Can't see them cracking out a surprise cover or a medley, can you?

They also never released anything as insultingly lazy and ineptly written and recorded as St Anger though. Or pulled a Lulu.

Maiden could have a whole stadium of people chanting for a song that's not on their setlist and they still wouldn't play it. They seem to have got the idea that their stage show is of such great importance that they can't even vary which of their own songs they play from tour to tour. It's their one failing as a live band, really.

I think Metallica should work on being tighter and Maiden should work being looser. :P

Metal_On_The_Ascendant
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 9:49 am 

OK, maybe we're all over-reacting just a little bit :-P

nightbreaker33
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 10:18 am 

Oh god the main riff doesn't even sound like the keyboard part on the original and Rob's vocals are laughable

idunnosomename
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 3:38 pm 

Acrobat wrote:
I think Metallica should work on being tighter and Maiden should work being looser. :P

Well precisely. But in the last decade I think they've made a bit of progress each way. Metallica's medleys were a bit annoying, because it's like WOAH HERE COMES THE COOL BRIDGE/SOLO oh wait no never mind. But it was still better than Trooper/Beast/Hills/Hallowed/Running Free. Iron Maiden have played some deeper cuts recently - even if they still haven't brought out Alexander the Great.

Osmiumthemetal
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 11:59 am 

I legitimately can't believe what I'm hearing. If you removed the video from this, you would think it was something some kids recorded as a bloody joke.

idunnosomename
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 4:56 pm 

I mean it's like fine, When Doves Cry is not hard to play, but it's hard to play well. They don't play it well. They just fuck around with it and read the lyrics off a music stand.

It just shows how embarrassing Hammett is now. That performance is probably something any Metallica fan playing guitar over a year could equal.

Hammett's mediocrity makes Hetfield's capability for carrying the band along with their bassist all the more impressive. Perhaps. I still think Hardwired was a great effort and Spit Out the Bone a truly brilliant metal song.

Temple Of Blood
Old Man Yells at Cloud

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 6:51 pm 

Trujillo is like a hostage in this situation. Was there really any way for him to say "No Kirk, I think that's a terrible idea and furthermore you're not playing it well."?

Rasha_yad
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 4:51 am 

Temple Of Blood wrote:
Trujillo is like a hostage in this situation. Was there really any way for him to say "No Kirk, I think that's a terrible idea and furthermore you're not playing it well."?

He should get in a car crash and pretend he needs to take a break too due to fatigue from some unspecified injury.

Ace_Rimmer
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 10:38 am 

Temple Of Blood wrote:

I can only imagine how it feels to be in a rhythm section with modern day Lars...

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2