Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Steel_Jaw
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 3:19 pm 

So last weekend I discovered that the status of Mayhem here on MA had changed from 'active' to 'on hold'.

Does anybody know more about it? I sure hope they're not going to split-up -_-

tahu157
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 3:31 pm 

I looked in the reports for Mayhem and nobody said anything there. The band website, facebook, and twitter also don't say anything. This is the person that made the edit:

https://www.metal-archives.com/users/Typhon_ita

Might be worth shooting them a PM to see why they changed the band's status.

Steel_Jaw
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 3:50 pm 

tahu157 wrote:
I looked in the reports for Mayhem and nobody said anything there. The band website, facebook, and twitter also don't say anything. This is the person that made the edit:

https://www.metal-archives.com/users/Typhon_ita

Might be worth shooting them a PM to see why they changed the band's status.

Thanks. Yeah, I also checked their official website and Facebook, and didn't find anything on there. I'll try to get in contact with the person who changed their status :)

LefterisK
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 5:10 pm 

If that information is of any worth, Τhe True Mayhem Archives is teasing a remixed version of Grand Declaration of War.

Yes it is.

Gunslinger21
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 1:14 am 

They're a pretty old band man, wouldn't surprise me.

booK_of_blood
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 4:03 am 

LefterisK wrote:
If that information is of any worth, Τhe True Mayhem Archives is teasing a remixed version of Grand Declaration of War.

Grand declaration is perfect exactly as it is, no remixes are needed.

k311250
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 5:16 am 

I was also surprised by this but I'm not complaining, they should have disbanded decades ago.

pale_horse
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 6:10 am 

Gunslinger21 wrote:

How weird would it be if one of them died from old age.

booK_of_blood
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 6:38 am 

k311250 wrote:
I was also surprised by this but I'm not complaining, they should have disbanded decades ago.

My thoughts exactly, only regarding Darkthrone...
As it happens, I haven't listened to Mayhem since Grand Declaration of War, which was everything I needed from a black metal album...

booK_of_blood
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 6:38 am 

pale_horse wrote:
Gunslinger21 wrote:

Are you 14?

Derigin
The Mountain Man

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 7:32 am 

Reverted back to "Active" and a message sent to the user that changed their status asking for a source.

For the record, unless there's an official statement saying so, DO NOT change a band's status.

R.I.P. Diamhea 1987-2018
Live young, die free. Gone, but not forgotten.

Gunslinger21
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 12:27 pm 

pale_horse wrote:
Gunslinger21 wrote:

Die? nah, they're immortal vampiric lords of darkness.

Right? o_O

InnesI
The Goat Fucker

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 12:44 pm 

booK_of_blood wrote:
LefterisK wrote:

Grand declaration is perfect exactly as it is, no remixes are needed.

Yeah, I see no reason to remix that one. I would like to hear Ordo ad Chao with another drum sound though. The overall feel is excellent on that album but the bass drum sound annoys me still.
I've also been called a satanist, communist, right wing, nazi-apologist, conservative dipshit, muslim (lover), PC, feminist, neoliberal, boot licker, verbal masturbator and an eternal low-key fascist enabler! Please add your projection too.
Ad hominem

BURlAL
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 4:52 pm 

k311250 wrote:
they should have disbanded decades ago.

No...

Everything theyve released has at least been decent. I just wish they would get a solid lineup and stick with it.

Steel_Jaw
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 5:19 pm 

Why should they've disbanded decades ago? They made their best albums after DMDS. Ordo Ad Chao and Grand Declaration Of War are some of the best things that ever happened in black metal ;)

So they're not splitting up, nice. Hope they stop the touring for a while now and start concentrating on making another slab of high-quality black metal :)

Cruciphage
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 5:36 pm 

k311250 wrote:

Die.

No matter what era, this band has always released quality material. Any new album is an immediate purchase for me.

DividerOfShadows
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 5:48 pm 

The title of the thread scared me a bit. I recall reading in an article in which Attila said that they were slowly preparing for a new album. That was from back in 2016, I believe. I wonder what the second Teloch-led album will bring.

And I'm still hoping for Katy Perry to do another Christian album.

My Last.fm

Cruciphage
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 5:57 pm 

DividerOfShadows wrote:
The title of the thread scared me a bit. I recall reading in an article in which Attila said that they were slowly preparing for a new album. That was from back in 2016, I believe. I wonder what the second Teloch-led album will bring.

"Teloch-led"? I suppose I see what you're saying, as Mayhem has commonly been defined by the guitarist, but I think Attila's return coupled with Hellhammer's trademark blitz have as much to say about Mayhem's sound as whoever has a guitar in his hand. At this point, I think Blasphemer and Hellhammer are the ones truly leading the band.

schizoid
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 6:55 pm 

I still remember my first listen of Grand Declaration... when it came out. Was the most deflating feeling.

Damballah
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 7:29 pm 

Wouldn't surprise me. I think nothing of them comes even close to De Mysteriis, and that was a different line up. Now the Head behind this Band is the guy from Teloch.
I have to admit i never liked any other Mayhems much. Chimera was good for a BM album but maybe not so much for a Mayhem album to compare with De mysteriis. Ordo Ad Chao was just weird experimental shit i couldn't get into. The last Mayhem Album was some pretty annoying stuff. I get what the music tried to be but i just simply don't dig the melodies on in.

k311250
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 8:49 pm 

Everything they've recorded since De mysteriis is awful and they aren't particularly good at playing shows. Literally every band out there ripping off Mayhem is more interesting than they are.

Cruciphage
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 8:56 pm 

Well, whatever. De Mysteriis will always be the absolute pinnacle of Mayhem, but their following albums stand far apart from the usual black metal standard. You have to give them that.

ADreamOfWolves
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 11:21 pm 

Deathcrush will always be Mayhem's magnum opus, not DMDS.

narsilianshard
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 11:28 pm 

Cruciphage wrote:
I think Attila's return coupled with Hellhammer's trademark blitz have as much to say about Mayhem's sound as whoever has a guitar in his hand.

Unless they are actually writing the songs (and these guys aren't) this argument is pretty nonsensical. Metal is defined by the guitarist's songwriting, not vocalist or drummer performances. The latter two definitely add a lot, but to say that they define a band's sound, especially Mayhem, is a pretty massive stretch.

Gemini 7 Rising
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 12:30 am 

k311250 wrote:
Everything they've recorded since De mysteriis is awful and they aren't particularly good at playing shows. Literally every band out there ripping off Mayhem is more interesting than they are.

This is utter nonsense, of course. Some people are funny with their so-called standards. Not sure who is ripping off who or what, or what is better/worse, awful/great in this guy's mind since he doesn't qualify the "opinion", but I've seen Mayhem twice within the last few years and both times they destroyed and, as far as I could tell, most everyone there loved them. They set the bar within the scene decades ago, they're a band with a dark and murderous past, and... they're still here. In WHATever form. So Mayhem can pretty much do whatever the fuck they like ("experimenting" or whatever). I doubt they're losing any sleep over whoever "disapproves."

Oddeye
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 3:06 am 

Am I the only one that likes Esoteric Warfare? It's very different from Ordo Ad Chao but then again all their albums are different. Esoteric Warfare has this cold and machine like cold war feeling which I think is awesome for a black metal band.

k311250
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 5:24 am 

Gemini 7 Rising wrote:
k311250 wrote:

Some people are funny with their so-called standards. Not sure who is ripping off who or what, or what is better/worse, awful/great in this guy's mind since he doesn't qualify the "opinion".

LOL I'm sorry, I didn't know I needed to use a scale for you to understand how bad they are. They are a 9/10 in the Nargaroth scale of musical poorness (a 10 being Nargaroth, that's how bad Mayhem actually are nowadays).

Last edited by k311250 on Wed Sep 12, 2018 8:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
HaPoStaPu
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 5:44 am 

Mayhem always produced interesting albums, hope they'll continue to do so.

BrutalizerUtilizerOfTheShadows
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 10:39 am 

k311250 wrote:

I saw them two years ago and they absolutely killed it, great atmosphere live.

Cruciphage wrote:
At this point, I think Blasphemer and Hellhammer are the ones truly leading the band.

Blasphemer hasn't been in the band since 2008, according to their page on the main site.

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 10:44 am 

Wasn't there a recent interview with one of their guitarists where they basically admitted that the band told them to write and play like Blasphemer?

into_the_pit
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 1:06 pm 

yes there was. teloch admitted to actually being a hired gun supposed to write music in the vein of the blasphemer material. at which he has succeeded fairly well so far.
"Chainsaw Gutsfuck."

Gemini 7 Rising
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 2:57 pm 

k311250 wrote:
Some people are funny with their so-called standards. Not sure who is ripping off who or what, or what is better/worse, awful/great in this guy's mind since he doesn't qualify the "opinion".

LOL I'm sorry, I didn't know I needed to use a scale for you to understand how bad they are. They are a 9/10 in the Nargaroth scale of musical poorness (a 10 being Nargaroth, that's how bad Mayhem actually are nowadays).[/quote]

Well, as they say, "Opinions are like assholes..."

I don't see how anyone can back up such broad, bland & generalized statements such as this.

Gemini 7 Rising
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 3:05 pm 

Gemini 7 Rising wrote:
k311250 wrote:

LOL I'm sorry, I didn't know I needed to use a scale for you to understand how bad they are. They are a 9/10 in the Nargaroth scale of musical poorness (a 10 being Nargaroth, that's how bad Mayhem actually are nowadays).

Well, as they say, "Opinions are like assholes..."

I don't see how anyone can back up such broad, bland & generalized statements such as this.

Last edited by Gemini 7 Rising on Wed Sep 12, 2018 3:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
booK_of_blood
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 3:18 pm 

I wish they would record A Grand Declaration of War part II and hire Maniac back as a vocalist...

Gemini 7 Rising
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 3:22 pm 

Oddeye wrote:
Am I the only one that likes Esoteric Warfare? It's very different from Ordo Ad Chao but then again all their albums are different. Esoteric Warfare has this cold and machine like cold war feeling which I think is awesome for a black metal band.

I love it. It kinda splits the difference between Ordo Ad Chao and some of that raw, straight-forward black metal of their roots.

booK_of_blood
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 3:25 pm 

Oddeye wrote:
Am I the only one that likes Esoteric Warfare?

And what's wrong with that? Do you owe something to somebody among the faceless herd?

k311250
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 4:32 pm 

Gemini 7 Rising wrote:

In all seriousness, I'm not sure why do I need to have a very complex explanation to think Mayhem should have disbanded decades ago (or dislike their later work for the matter). I just don't like them anymore and I think there are a lot of bands that record better albums and play better live. I don't really see the point in derailing this thread name-droping the 100 black metal bands I like better than Mayhem.

I also think yours is a very weird way to confront someone you disagree with, you could have just asked what bands I like better instead of this whole pseudo-intellectual approach. "Not sure what is better/worse, awful/great in this guy's mind". Do I really need to tell which bands I like every time I say I think another band sucks? I'm sorry but that's fucking dumb. Besides, most of this information you're asking for was already in my first post:

Better: De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas.
Worse: everything they've recorded since De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas.

Great: De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas.
Awful: everything they've recorded since De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas.

I just don't like Mayhem anymore, get over it.

PS: the last Mare album is De Mysteriis dom Sathanas worship and it's fucking great, you should listen to it.

theratoni
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 4:48 pm 

Teloch recently mentioned a few times on some Instagram story Q&A's that Mayhem was on an "extended break" - which is understandable since they have been touring non-stop for a few years. Possible someone made the edit based on that?

Gemini 7 Rising
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 12:42 am 

k311250 wrote:
Gemini 7 Rising wrote:

In all seriousness, I'm not sure why do I need to have a very complex explanation to think Mayhem should have disbanded decades ago (or dislike their later work for the matter). I just don't like them anymore and I think there are a lot of bands that record better albums and play better live. I don't really see the point in derailing this thread name-droping the 100 black metal bands I like better than Mayhem.

I also think yours is a very weird way to confront someone you disagree with, you could have just asked what bands I like better instead of this whole pseudo-intellectual approach. "Not sure what is better/worse, awful/great in this guy's mind". Do I really need to tell which bands I like every time I say I think another band sucks? I'm sorry but that's fucking dumb.

The thing is, I don't really *care* what bands you like. You came on here- a thread about MAYHEM'S CURRENT STATUS- and dropped your opinion that Mayhem's sucked so badly since 1994 (that's 24 YEARS) that they're a waste of time & basically anyone here who likes them now doesn't know anything. Oh, and they "should've disbanded decades ago." Why don't you write them a letter?

Anyhow, the way you state all this is as though it's fact, but if that's how you feel, what are you even doing here? I don't seek out threads on bands I couldn't give a shit about, or hate, or liked 20 years ago, just so I can tell everyone who does they're wrong. It's a matter of taste. Could we maybe like both periods of the band?

But whatever, maybe you just want some attention or to share the bands you think are better, but it comes across as if ONLY YOU could possibly know what's good. And you say you "don't see why you should have to offer a complex explanation" ? You don't offer ANY explanation.

I'll check out your recommendation, despite the insult. I didn't insult you, I called out *what you said*. Also, I don't care if you think "mine is a weird way to confront someone you disagree with". That is irrelevant to me.

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 8:12 am 

I don't think Mayhem has sucked since DMDS but they probably should've changed their name when they reformed. I could easily see all the Blasphemer and onward material under a name like Wolf's Lair Abyss or something.

Reply to topic Go to page 1, 2  Next