Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
blackmantram
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 10:53 am 

k311250 wrote:
They are a 9/10 in the Nargaroth scale of musical poorness (a 10 being Nargaroth, that's how bad Mayhem actually are nowadays).

This guy reminds me of 2005 a lot.

k311250
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 12:10 pm 

Gemini 7 Rising wrote:
The thing is, I don't really *care* what bands you like. You came on here- a thread about MAYHEM'S CURRENT STATUS- and dropped your opinion that Mayhem's sucked so badly since 1994 (that's 24 YEARS) that they're a waste of time & basically anyone here who likes them now doesn't know anything. Oh, and they "should've disbanded decades ago." Why don't you write them a letter?

Yeah, that's what I did. What's the problem? Am I not allowed to state my opinon here? Should all the posts in this forum only be positive comments about the band in question?

Thinking they should have disbanded a lot of time ago doesn't mean I don't respect their decision. It's my opinion and they can think differently. I think they are wrong but that doesn't mean they can't do whatever they want since it's their band and not mine. I can have an opinion about it, can't I?

Gemini 7 Rising wrote:
Anyhow, the way you state all this is as though it's fact, but if that's how you feel, what are you even doing here? I don't seek out threads on bands I couldn't give a shit about, or hate, or liked 20 years ago, just so I can tell everyone who does they're wrong. It's a matter of taste. Could we maybe like both periods of the band?

I only said they should have disbanded a lot of time ago. That's my opinion and it's relevant to the topic. I never said it was a fact. I'm sorry, do I need to use a disclaimer every time I state what I think in order for you to understand it was my subjective opinion on the matter so you don't feel personally attacked? I really don't understand why you feel the need to get so defensive when other people voice their opinion.

Gemini 7 Rising wrote:
But whatever, maybe you just want some attention or to share the bands you think are better, but it comes across as if ONLY YOU could possibly know what's good. And you say you "don't see why you should have to offer a complex explanation" ? You don't offer ANY explanation.

I'm sorry but this doesn't make any sense. That's how opinions work: you think you are right and therefore everyone else is wrong. I think Mayhem are awful nowadays and if you think they're great then I'll think you're wrong. That doesn't mean any of us is "really" right/wrong because this is all based on personal taste.

Also, why should I offer ANY explanation at all if you don't even care what I think (your words, not mine)?

Gemini 7 Rising wrote:
Also, I don't care if you think "mine is a weird way to confront someone you disagree with". That is irrelevant to me.

It's irrelevant to me that it's irrelevant to you. We can do this all day if you want.

tl;dr why do you feel personally attacked? I really think you are overreacting, my comment wasn't even that disrespectful, you're making up most of what you say. I never insulted you or anyone in this thread, in fact I think it's the other way around. Why would you write in a forum if you get this mad about a 1 line negative comment about a band you like?

Oddeye
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 6:39 am 

booK_of_blood wrote:
Oddeye wrote:
Am I the only one that likes Esoteric Warfare?

And what's wrong with that? Do you owe something to somebody among the faceless herd?

Of course not. You know what they say about opinions, everyone has one and most of them stink.

Gemini 7 Rising wrote:
I love it. It kinda splits the difference between Ordo Ad Chao and some of that raw, straight-forward black metal of their roots.

Exactly! It would have been awesome to hear the Budapest Sessions though, apparantly they recorded an album that sounded like DMDS and scrapped it in favor of Esoteric Warfare.

Gemini 7 Rising
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 6:16 pm 

Oddeye wrote:
Gemini 7 Rising wrote:
I love it. It kinda splits the difference between Ordo Ad Chao and some of that raw, straight-forward black metal of their roots.

Exactly! It would have been awesome to hear the Budapest Sessions though, apparantly they recorded an album that sounded like DMDS and scrapped it in favor of Esoteric Warfare.

Really? I didn't know that, I hope they return & finish that and maybe put it out at some point.

Yeah, I've listened to Esoteric Warfare many times. I liked it a great deal at first- thought it was a great raw sound mixed with a lot of winding, twisted shit & representative of what they've always been about (more or less), and then I'd return to it sometimes and wonder if it was as good as I'd initially thought (still enjoying it though)... And by now I love it completely again, it's got some fucking amazing moments on it & some real darkness... like some cold, evil vortex, it sucks you in.

I like stuff that's difficult to wrap your mind around but remains intriguing. And of course Ordo Ad Chao is probably one of the greatest examples of this in all metal (at least that I'm aware of) out there with stuff like Gorgut's 'Obscura' in a way, but even more so. And then you throw on Deathcrush or DMDS or Gorgoroth's Pentagram just to clear your head again, haha

Mass Suicide
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 7:48 am 

Never liked Mayhem post-DMDS, but I have to admit that the songwriting of Blasphemer was some sort of continuation of band's style, just in a more progressive manner. For sure the stylistic gap between DMDS and WLA is smaller than the one between DMDS and Deathcrush.

Lord_Jotun
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 10:40 am 

Mass Suicide wrote:
For sure the stylistic gap between DMDS and WLA is smaller than the one between DMDS and Deathcrush.

I actually agree with this. I still consider WLA a condensed masterpiece.
Orgiastic Pleasures
Rust
Black Druid Hymns - my projects on YouTube

Gemini 7 Rising
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 1:41 pm 

k311250 wrote:
Why would you write in a forum if you get this mad about a 1 line negative comment about a band you like?

Mad? Annoyed, maybe. Back to what you said in the first place, which is what I responded to:

k311250 wrote:
Everything they've recorded since De mysteriis is awful and they aren't particularly good at playing shows. Literally every band out there ripping off Mayhem is more interesting than they are.

And I responded "this is utter nonsense". Meaning, people should listen for themselves. Of course you're entitled to your opinion, though this seems like one of those reflexive ones, kind of like "Everything Cannibal Corpse did after Chris Barnes left sucks! They're not CC anymore! They suck!" ...Even though core members remain & anyone w/ ears can hear they're as musically accomplished as ever & retain their original intentions. And it always seems like that guy (the hater) went into anything & everything they did just hating it without ever really hearing it. What is that? Nostalgia maybe, I guess.

That's how it seems you feel about this band now & that's what I'm responding to- that people should listen for themselves, because they're still making lethal music, imo, and most of their earliest members remain. See, I'd agree with you if most of the original band is long gone & they're not even remotely about what they started out as. But you said, "literally every band out there ripping off Mayhem is more interesting than they are." That's very dismissive when, like it or not, they've clearly accomplished the task of remaining relevant within the scene.

You don't have to like them, but your statement makes it sound like they're just milking the legacy & making shit music. I've heard plenty of what Necrobutcher and Hellhammer (both of whom have been with the band since THE '80s) and Attila have said in interviews about their work & how seriously they take the band and its legacy- and even how conflicted they were originally about continuing under the MAYHEM name- so I couldn't disagree more. (That's all in Dayal Patterson's book 'Black Metal: Evolution of the Cult', if you're interested, chapter 28- 'The Beast Reawakens: Mayhem Part IV')

So that's what I'm responding to most, what you said first. Have I overreacted? Possibly. Guess I'm one of the ones who's glad they're still around. And the times I've seen them live they were great. Maybe some shows haven't been, but I can only speak for when I was there.

CarlLSanders
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 4:04 pm 

I listen on occasion to all the Mayhem in my collection: from the couple of tracks I have featuring dear, departed Dead on through Esoteric Warfare(a very good album, in my humble opinion.)
Chimera is their weakest.
Live, they were so-so each time I heard them.
I'm up for another album and Live show(IF the venue sells Irish Whiskey).

EpicSceptic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 7:52 am 

Mayhem don't have bad albums. Esoteric Warfare might be their weakest but it's still good. Even among its peers of that year it was intriguing and ferocious, and that year had particularly interesting releases.

Bingewolf
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 1:23 am 

Mayhem, to me, is warranted in their legendary status. 'Deathcrush' through 'WLA" are classics and all of the future albums have resonated with me. I would say 'Grand Declaration' was my least favorite. Both 'Chimera' and 'Esoteric Warfare' have great moments to me. But calling Mayhem a bad band is insane....

~Guest 343918
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 2:28 am 

InnesI wrote:
booK_of_blood wrote:
Grand declaration is perfect exactly as it is, no remixes are needed.

Yeah, I see no reason to remix that one. I would like to hear Ordo ad Chao with another drum sound though. The overall feel is excellent on that album but the bass drum sound annoys me still.

Listen to this and say again with a straight face that there is no need for a remix:

InnesI
The Goat Fucker

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 12:20 pm 

Vigintiseptem wrote:
Listen to this and say again with a straight face that there is no need for a remix:

There is no need for a remix.

:-| <---- That's supposed to be a straight face.

Seriously though, I don't think the new remix sounds bad but I always liked that thin production the original has. It gives the album a cold feel in the industrial or mechanized kind of way. And its very "airy" which gives it a distinction from the rest of Mayhems back catalogue.
I've also been called a satanist, communist, right wing, nazi-apologist, conservative dipshit, muslim (lover), PC, feminist, neoliberal, boot licker, verbal masturbator and an eternal low-key fascist enabler! Please add your projection too.
Ad hominem

DecemberSoul
Mirties Metafora

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:43 pm 

InnesI wrote:
Seriously though, I don't think the new remix sounds bad but I always liked that thin production the original has. It gives the album a cold feel in the industrial or mechanized kind of way. And its very "airy" which gives it a distinction from the rest of Mayhems back catalogue.

Yup, that's pretty much how I feel about GDOW. To me, the original recording has a charming aura (mechanical indeed!) whereas the remix renders it closer to an expendable, standard production job.

CityofScreamingStatues
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:33 pm 

The drum sound, especially the snare, has bugged me about GDOW. Always liked the sterile, apocalyptic vibe but the drums could be distracting for me. A/B 'View From Nihil' the new mix sounds damn good. Actually sounds a bit like old Mayhem for some brief moments. Definitely will have to buy this.

Cryptic Heretic
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 1:36 am 

The drums sound much better on the remix/remaster and the guitars sound a little better too, but honestly I still enjoy the original sound quite a bit. I've never had that much of a problem with it, but I will end up buy the remaster because why not.

Gemini 7 Rising
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2019 1:03 am 

Anyone have any info on when Mayhem might begin work on new material/ a new studio album?

4 years since Esoteric Warfare, so just curious if you happen to have heard anything.

Lord_Jotun
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2019 6:00 am 

Doubtful. Mayhem seem to be far more focused on touring, and it's been like that for a while. They always take their sweet time between albums anyway. Also don't forget that Attila is busy with the reactivated Tormentor lately; they've been touring Europe recently (might still be going on) with some kind of live release in the works as well.
Orgiastic Pleasures
Rust

blackblood666
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2019 5:57 pm 

Teloch has recently posted online that he has begun composing new music for Mayhem.

Lord_Jotun
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 8:20 am 

I hope they'll give more room to his creativity instead of instructing him to act as Blasphemer lite this time.
Orgiastic Pleasures
Rust

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2