Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
BrutalizerUtilizerOfTheShadows
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 12:20 pm 

https://www.theprp.com/2018/09/05/news/ ... new-album/

https://www.facebook.com/10107518993442 ... 31/?type=3

Fenriz wrote:
DARKTHRONE forthcoming album: It seems we continue with our brand of OLD PRIMITIVE METAL and 3 songs are in the making so far. With an album title so BASTANT it would be impossible to reveal.

On the other hand - here is a shit "less is more - less is paul"-copy guitar that I bought in 1995 in Oslo and I still make my riffs on it. I SERIOUSLY still haven't changed strings on it since then AND I haven't used a guitar amp since 1995 either to make a riff. Meanwhile if you dig some trad doom stuff try that FORSAKEN album called pentateuch while you wait.

- f e n r i z

Leave it to Fenriz to put a recommendation in a new album announcement! I was pretty stoked to hear this. I always welcome new Darkthrone and really enjoyed Arctic Thunder & The Underground Resistance. I was just thinking of revisiting their discography the other day, as it is really fun, and this gives me an excuse! Anyone else pumped for this?

~Guest 285196
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 12:56 pm 

A new Darkthrone album is always an event for me, and as a fan I will buy their album and give it a fair chance, but in all honesty I don't think they've hit the sweet spot for me since Sardonic Wrath. The Underground Resistance had some nice riffs, but overall it's just shitty retro metal at this point with bad vocals.

BrutalizerUtilizerOfTheShadows wrote:
I was just thinking of revisiting their discography the other day, as it is really fun, and this gives me an excuse!

Same here! I think their "middle period", from Total Death to Sardonic Wrath is severely underrated. Especially Hate Them is the perfect mix of black metal evil with rocking Motoheard riffs, with some doom and other 80s goodness to boot.

Fenriz wrote:
On the other hand - here is a shit "less is more - less is paul"-copy guitar that I bought in 1995 in Oslo and I still make my riffs on it. I SERIOUSLY still haven't changed strings on it since then AND I haven't used a guitar amp since 1995 either to make a riff. Meanwhile if you dig some trad doom stuff try that FORSAKEN album called pentateuch while you wait.

- f e n r i z

As is usual, Fenriz seems more concerned with being the truest metal maniac in the world, than actually making good music himself. Only posers change the strings on their guitars, right? :P

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 1:10 pm 

I really liked Arctic Thunder so I'll be looking forward to this one. Been on a huge Darkthrone kick lately and I really should give more of their 2000s material a shot.

Sick6Six
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 1:11 pm 

raumr wrote:
A new Darkthrone album is always an event for me, and as a fan I will buy their album and give it a fair chance, but in all honesty I don't think they've hit the sweet spot for me since Sardonic Wrath. The Underground Resistance had some nice riffs, but overall it's just shitty retro metal at this point with bad vocals.

BrutalizerUtilizerOfTheShadows wrote:
I was just thinking of revisiting their discography the other day, as it is really fun, and this gives me an excuse!

Same here! I think their "middle period", from Total Death to Sardonic Wrath is severely underrated. Especially Hate Them is the perfect mix of black metal evil with rocking Motoheard riffs, with some doom and other 80s goodness to boot.

Agreed, Hate Them is their most perfect album for me, wish they could recapture that era. Arctic was a step in the right direction, especially "Burial Bliss" but my initial excitement wore off after just a couple weeks.

nuklearkrieg
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 1:14 pm 

Total death and sardonic wrath have some real bangers.

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 1:20 pm 

Good lord, didn't they JUST put out an album, like, last year? Talk about workaholics.

BrutalizerUtilizerOfTheShadows
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 2:06 pm 

^ It was October of 2016 that Arctic Thunder dropped, so it has almost been two years. Also, he didn't indicate that they had even recorded anything yet, but just that they were working on it. I wouldn't be surprised if we don't see a new album until next year some time. Still, it is exciting news nonetheless!

raumr wrote:

I understand why you might feel that way about TUR, some feel that it is simply a collection of riffs more so than an actual album. However, I enjoy the structure of it. In the first four medium length songs, you have influences across the board like doom, power, black, speed & heavy metal that are mixed in a way that is just so much fun! And the last two longer tracks are epic thrash fuckers full of groovy and pummeling riffs. I don't own it on vinyl, but I imagine it would be cool to jam it in that format. It's a bit unorthodox, but you have those four on the A side and the two epic fuckers on the B side, I don't know of any other album that is structured that way.

Last edited by BrutalizerUtilizerOfTheShadows on Thu Sep 06, 2018 2:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
booK_of_blood
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 2:17 pm 

Does anybody still care? As it happens, I'm rotating Plaguewielder. Fucking awful, talent-less garbage...

Sick6Six
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 2:34 pm 

^I think Command and Wreak are 2 amazing songs from Plaguewielder, but I always skip the other 4 tracks.

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 2:36 pm 

I liked the first few “extra crispy BBQ ribs”-Throne albums but I’m thinking they’ve exhausted that again... I think it’s time for a change, again.

Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 3:56 pm 

I think they have been changing a fair bit with most of the albums though. Arctic Thunder was quite different from Underground Resistance, and neither of them had much of the possibly-exaggerated-anyway punk influence from the previous post-Sardonic Wrath albums.

Personally I found Arctic Thunder to be great and I'm looking forward to this. Fenriz's attitude is a little funny sometimes but, well, it's Ted playing the guitars on the album anyway, and I'm sure he changes his strings fairly often. :D
Hush and hark, without murmur or sigh,
To shoon that tread the lost aeons:
To the sound that bids you to die.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 4:45 pm 

I liked all their weird punk/trad albums up until Underground Resistance, which wasn't bad but just didn't click... I appreciated what they were going for but ultimately I'd rather go hear any of their influences than that one.

Maybe I should finally try Arctic Thunder. Wasn't in a very metal mood when that came out.

Oxenkiller
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 8:48 pm 

For me, just about every one of their albums that I own has a couple great outstanding tracks (e.g Valkyrie, Arctic Thunder, Rust, Tundra Leach) and a couple okay tracks, and about half of the album is borderline "meh" mediocre ones. I always look foreward to new stuff from them, though.

Chaosmonger
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 10:02 pm 

always down for new 'throne although Arctic Thunder was the first one in a long time that I didn't buy a physical copy of. Just kind of 'meh.' A lot of their later stuff is about half-good. Fenriz' songs are way better than Culto's...probably because he actually writes songs and doesn't just throw riffs together like Culto does, even if Culto's riffs are cool.

Oxenkiller
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 11:00 pm 

That probably explains a lot of what I experience with their later stuff. Their best songs seem to be the ones where the riffs fit together cohesively and the whole song just flows. But a lot of their songs are kind of disjointed, like you said, "Riffs just thrown together" kind of thing that doesn't work as well for me.

Gunslinger21
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 12:43 am 

Arctic Thunder was an awesome album, so it will be interesting to hear the next one. I'd like to see them stop paying homage to the classics like Motorhead, and instead go back to something unique in the early days. But not in a retro black metal way, maybe experiment with those earlier sounds and try some new stuff. 7 string guitars, synthesizers, more acoustic parts, all things they could incorporate more into their sound. It would be great to hear some variation.

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 1:01 am 

Hah, I don't think you're going to hear 7-strings on a new Darkthrone album.

~Guest 343918
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 2:31 am 

Gunslinger21 wrote:
7 string guitars, synthesizers, more acoustic parts

None of these are old or primitive, so don't get your hopes up.

HaPoStaPu
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 4:01 am 

Always up for more Darkthrone. I've come around to enjoying all the later, old man stuff. The Motorhead of black metal for me, as in I just like their overall sound.

Space_alligator
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 5:29 am 

I think Fenriz should dedicate himself to doing press releases, slways enjoyable to read.

Epicureo
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 5:41 am 

The Neanderthal in me craves for some more Darkthrone death metal, Fenriz...

Zdan
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 5:54 am 

Epicureo wrote:
The Neanderthal in me craves for some more Darkthrone death metal, Fenriz...

That would be something wouldn't it? A technical, atmospheric death metal masterpiece like "Soulside Journe"y.

Gunslinger21
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 10:34 am 

Acrobat wrote:
Hah, I don't think you're going to hear 7-strings on a new Darkthrone album.

You're probably right. It's nice to fantasise though :lol:

Vigintiseptem wrote:
Gunslinger21 wrote:
7 string guitars, synthesizers, more acoustic parts

None of these are old or primitive, so don't get your hopes up.

Haha, yeah you're probably right there. Would be pretty cool though to hear something a bit more different this time around. I'm not complaining through, Arctic Thunder was a great album in my opinion. Still listening to it today.

Lord_Jotun
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 10:37 am 

raumr wrote:
I think their "middle period", from Total Death to Sardonic Wrath is severely underrated. Especially Hate Them is the perfect mix of black metal evil with rocking Motoheard riffs, with some doom and other 80s goodness to boot.

Couldn't agree more. A lot of those records where totally savaged back then and I neevr figured out why. Hate Them is a personal favorite as well.

Fenriz wrote:
On the other hand - here is a shit "less is more - less is paul"-copy guitar that I bought in 1995 in Oslo and I still make my riffs on it. I SERIOUSLY still haven't changed strings on it since then

Holy shit, strings that are still playable and unbroken after 23 years? :lol: What brand is that and where can I buy a set?

Acrobat wrote:
I liked the first few “extra crispy BBQ ribs”-Throne albums but I’m thinking they’ve exhausted that again... I think it’s time for a change, again.
[/quote]

I have to agree. It's fun, I'm glad I purchased the albums, but it's been getting old for a while.
Orgiastic Pleasures
Rust
Black Druid Hymns - my projects on YouTube

Unity
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 10:39 am 

Excited as always, "Arctic Thunder" ruled.

PvtNinjer
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 3:36 pm 

I think new Darkthrone is a bit stale, although it is kinda true they've played with their formula a bit, I feel like their last great one was Dark Thrones and Black Flags, an album surprisingly inventive for something so rooted in retro stuff. Circle the Wagons was stil pretty good but I have to admit they sorta lost me after that one. I didn't even get around to listening to Arctic Thunder :(

quickbeam
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 4:14 pm 

Mostly just commenting to approve of the love (ha!) that Hate Them is receiving here - god damn what a great album. I think I've played that more than ABitNS now. I'm certainly interested in the new album, though Arctic Thunder didn't really click for me. Maybe a bit unlikely but I'd love to hear them make something even remotely near the utter venom of Hate Them.

CityofScreamingStatues
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 8:12 pm 

I bought Soulside on record before they were black metal band. Played it on my Dad's record player when I was 15 and I'm a 42 oldshit now. Still one of my favorite albums. HATED Blaze when it came out.. thought it was a joke. Long story short.... really got into Transylvania and Blackmetal in '94. Lost interest with the mid-period (Hate Them is one of the best). Totally rejuvenated with FOAD, etc. I thought Arctic Thunder was a real headbanger (listening now, outro riff on Inbreed vermin). Sign me up for the next!

Bingewolf
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 12:38 pm 

'Arctic Thunder' was an excellent record, in my opinion. To me, Darkthrone is one of those bands who have a high quality, very prolific discography. I'm constantly impressed with how they continue to grow and change with the albums always sounding "true". They are definitely in the discussion for the band who has changed their sound the most without ever coming across as trend hoppers.

Additionally, Fenriz is a heavy metal treasure. Such a funny and interesting figure. Excited to hear what's next!

booK_of_blood
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 12:44 pm 

Fenriz is the ultimate heavy metal guy, indeed, however, as a musician he sucks balls...

Chaosmonger
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 6:54 pm 

booK_of_blood wrote:
Fenriz is the ultimate heavy metal guy, indeed, however, as a musician he sucks balls...

lol yeah, releasing four of the greatest BM albums of all time, a couple of very good DM albums, two great Isengard albums and a ton of great songs since on top of being a great drummer, sure.

rexxz
Where's your band?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 8:00 pm 

CityofScreamingStatues wrote:
I bought Soulside on record before they were black metal band. Played it on my Dad's record player when I was 15 and I'm a 42 oldshit now. Still one of my favorite albums. HATED Blaze when it came out.. thought it was a joke. Long story short.... really got into Transylvania and Blackmetal in '94. Lost interest with the mid-period (Hate Them is one of the best). Totally rejuvenated with FOAD, etc. I thought Arctic Thunder was a real headbanger (listening now, outro riff on Inbreed vermin). Sign me up for the next!

thanks for telling us all about your very legitimate oldschool cred, it really helps give your opinion lots of gravitas

cultofkraken
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 9:38 pm 

Chaosmonger wrote:
booK_of_blood wrote:

lol yeah, releasing four of the greatest BM albums of all time, a couple of very good DM albums, two great Isengard albums and a ton of great songs since on top of being a great drummer, sure.

Don’t listen to that guy. He’s an utter joke.

Zephirus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 7:57 am 

doesnt fill me with any excitement really but it must fill me with something if im posting here

i liked FOAD . i would like to explore more of the BM era like hate them etc as i believe there is some good music to be heard

Necrobiotik
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 8:51 am 

That recomendation would be a reference to the sounding of the upcoming album? It would be great.

booK_of_blood
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 4:45 pm 

Chaosmonger wrote:
booK_of_blood wrote:

Greatest BM albums by which standards? The standards of brainless flock of nothings? Soulside Journey is a piece of crap even by the standards of the era it had been recorded in, there were ton, ton of better DM albums back then I cannot even dream of listing. What else? A great drummer, yeah, sure, no less. One dimensional, boring, uninspired, lazy, riding on the success of the 2nd wave of BM. Should I carry on? A great heavy metal guy though, and I'm sure one that's fun to hang out with, but that's it.

Last edited by booK_of_blood on Mon Sep 10, 2018 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
booK_of_blood
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 4:53 pm 

cultofkraken wrote:

Why am I a joke? Because I had been listening to metal even before you came out of your mother's twat and I actually have got my OWN opinions, standards and ideas about what makes music good by my book, whether you and the rest of the herd like it or not? Have I offended someone here or attacked some of you fragile-hearted users in some way? Are my opinions not popular enough? I thought metal was all about slaughtering holy cows and being leaders rather than followers, free thinkers, forward thinkers, mavericks, courageous enough to voice even the least popular opinions and shit on the consensus, on what everybody else it thinking; but you are a bunch of crybabies I have never thought even possible. Don't like my opinion? Deal with it. Or don't.

FirebathDan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 5:11 pm 

booK_of_blood wrote:
I thought metal was all about slaughtering holy cows and being leaders rather than followers, free thinkers, forward thinkers, mavericks, courageous enough to voice even the least popular opinions and shit on the consensus, on what everybody else it thinking

Metal is a genre of music. No more, no less.
Obliteration

rexxz
Where's your band?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 5:49 pm 

booK_of_blood wrote:
cultofkraken wrote:

Why am I a joke? Because I had been listening to metal even before you came out of your mother's twat and I actually have got my OWN opinions, standards and ideas about what makes music good by my book, whether you and the rest of the herd like it or not? Have I offended someone here or attacked some of you fragile-hearted users in some way? Are my opinions not popular enough? I thought metal was all about slaughtering holy cows and being leaders rather than followers, free thinkers, forward thinkers, mavericks, courageous enough to voice even the least popular opinions and shit on the consensus, on what everybody else it thinking; but you are a bunch of crybabies I have never thought even possible. Don't like my opinion? Deal with it. Or don't.

This post makes you even more of a joke... and you don't even get the punchline.

Chaosmonger
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 6:10 pm 

booK_of_blood wrote:
One dimensional, boring, uninspired, lazy, riding on the success of the 2nd wave of BM. Should I carry on?

well no because you're dead wrong and you'd be wasting my time and yours. Even if you dislike the classic Darkthrone albums, to actually think they're uninspired is just absurd.

Reply to topic Go to page 1, 2  Next