Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Rosner
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 2:40 pm 

So, after a lot of years without any news, last month the band started to post pictures of every of their eras, chronologically. Every post also had the year of the photo as a text, starting with 1993.

During the last few weeks, there was a lot of expectation: what would happen when the posts reached the year 2018? Would they announce their official split-up? Would they announce a comeback? Furthermore, a couple of years ago they informed through social media that one of the members was very ill (cancer I think).

Finally, today they reached 2018 and posted this picture:

Rowan and Samantha, the two foundind members and leaders of the band. Could this mean they are back?! I'm a really big fan of the band, and after many years I feel really happy about this. It's good to see them doing well, especially after the 'ilness' thing. About that, Rowan wearing that beanie... Could he be the one that was sick? If that's so, I hope he is doing ok.

Let's see if there are any more news about this!

Kerrick
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 2:48 pm 

Ha, you ninja'd me in making this thread. Mods, feel free to delete the thread I just made.

I'm so stoked to see one of my absolute favorite bands come back to life after 10 years of silence! I'm listening to Sombre Romantic now in celebration haha.

Space_alligator
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 3:22 pm 

Was interesting seeing all the old flyers, albums and studio tspes etc.

Emanon
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 5:02 am 

That would be really cool if they made a comeback. Their Requiem albums are excellent, and I haven't really found anything else that sounds quite like Requiem - Mezzo Forte.
Darkness, like a cloak of saffron velvet, surrounds him. Stark trees of stone support the moon and stop the sky from falling in around him. He stands upon his mountain throne, his arms held high, he’s all-alone, ashen face turned towards the sky.

~Guest 277521
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 5:59 am 

I'm really hoping this means piannissimo will be released! I saw Virgin Black live around 2007 and it was such a fantastic concert.

What is the illness thing? I always thought the reason they didn't release anything was the disagreements between them and The End Records?

PureNegativism
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 2:52 am 

My mouth was agape when I saw this. I can't remember the last time that happened.
The Requiem albums were very cathartic for me in a loss I experienced that coincided with their release. The prospect of a possible Pianissimo release to joyfully mourn for the passing of that chapter of my life is just too perfect.

Rosner
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 4:29 pm 

HOLY SHIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'M SO HAPPY!!! Hope all of this means they are back for good and not just to release Pianissimo. A new album would be so cool...

praey
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 5:16 pm 

Wow. Never thought music from Pianissimo would actually see the light of day. They've been talking about that release for at least a decade. I loved Mezzo Forte back in the day and though my taste in metal has changed considerably since then, I'd still be curious to check out some new material.

Evoken
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 5:55 pm 

I can't believe we finally get to hear something from Pianissimo. It's been over a decade of it sitting unreleased. Over the years I questioned if it ever got finished, because it's super strange how it never came out. I also still find it completely bizarre that the label choose to release part 2 and 3 before part 1, and then never released part 1 at all. What a mess.

I do hope this video is just a preview and the full album gets a proper release. I'd hate to see the tracks just end up on Youtube after all this time. It's better than nothing, of course, but the album deserves better than that. I'd love to see what should have happened to begin with; all three albums released together in a box-set.

babysgottalocomotive
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 10:43 pm 

I live in Adelaide, the band's hometown. Their stirring and reawakening has been noticed with a bit of excitement. The link below is a local article about the latest movement on their social media...

https://teomagblog.com/?p=10813

stickyshooZ
TO HAVE AND TO HOLD

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 11:22 pm 

Damn, I was beginning to lose hope in ever seeing any kind of activity from them again. Glad to see they're potentially cooking up some tunes.

Exkretor wrote:
The new Sadus sounds like fucking wrestling music.

babysgottalocomotive
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 11:53 pm 

stickyshooZ wrote:
Damn, I was beginning to lose hope in ever seeing any kind of activity from them again. Glad to see they're potentially cooking up some tunes.

Not just cooking up, it sounds cooked.

Dropped at 3am our time last night:

Taboo
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 7:06 am 

Just as I was starting to convince myself that I would never get to hear Pianissimo. I must say I’m very impressed with this first track, beautiful.

Kerrick
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 12:50 pm 

PREORDERS ARE UP!!!

Quote:
Requiem - Pianissimo PRE-ORDER (includes bandcamp download code)
LIMITED ONE TIME PRESSING. NO RE-PRESS.
(all prices in AUS dollars)
AVAILABLE ONLY AT:
https://virginblack.store/
https://virginblack.bandcamp.com/album/ ... pianissimo

~Guest 277521
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 1:06 pm 

It's been mentioned on their site that they now own 100% of it and all proceeds go to them. I wonder if this means they were just waiting for the end of their contract with The End Records to release this. I'm also curious to see what they will do afterwards.

Evoken
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 4:55 pm 

Kerrick wrote:
PREORDERS ARE UP!!!

Quote:
AVAILABLE ONLY AT:

Best news I've seen in quite some time! I was hoping they'd do a CD pressing. Pre-ordered!

Foxx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 2:01 am 

Kerrick wrote:
PREORDERS ARE UP!!!

Quote:
AVAILABLE ONLY AT:

Never thought I'd see the day, but bloody glad I did.

Kerrick
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 3:12 pm 

I got notification that my copy shipped today. I'm pretty dang excited...

Evoken
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 5:24 pm 

Kerrick wrote:
I got notification that my copy shipped today. I'm pretty dang excited...

Me too! I've been playing the other two parts of the trilogy a lot lately in anticipation of finally hearing part 1.

Kerrick
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 12:19 pm 

We're going on three weeks since notification of order completion... I wonder how long it takes a CD to arrive to the US from Australia? I expected it to be here already. Evoken, have you received yours yet?

Biggie
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 8:50 pm 

I live Down Under & haven't received it either. AusPost gets a bit fubar from October through to Xmas so... patience, I guess :)

Evoken
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 5:43 am 

Kerrick wrote:
We're going on three weeks since notification of order completion... I wonder how long it takes a CD to arrive to the US from Australia? I expected it to be here already. Evoken, have you received yours yet?

Nope, not yet. I’ve ordered from Australia before and it usually doesn’t take this long.

Kerrick
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 5:33 pm 

Dang, I was hoping to hear, "yes it just arrived so yours will probably be waiting in your mailbox today." Haha oh well... I'm surprised even folks in Australia haven't received theirs yet, if they did indeed ship three weeks ago...

Kerrick
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 6:58 pm 

I just got an email explaining that "order completed" does NOT in fact mean "shipped." I'm used to seeing those words used interchangeably with online orders but in this case, that is not so. I apologize for the confusion!

Quote:
Dear Kerrick,

A friend of the band has alerted me to some confusion expressed on forums regarding availability of pre-ordered Requiem - Pianissimo CDs, and your forum name appears to be aligned with an order (I apologise if this is incorrect). As stated on the webstore the expected shipping date is November 30. I believe the confusion may have arisen due to the auto-generated wording of the transaction software. "Order completed" in this situation means simply that payment has been processed.

My apologies on behalf of the band, and all involved. It would be much appreciated if you were able to share the clarification with any others that hold concerns.

Thank you for your support of Virgin Black.

Evoken
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 8:41 pm 

Kerrick wrote:
I just got an email explaining that "order completed" does NOT in fact mean "shipped." I'm used to seeing those words used interchangeably with online orders but in this case, that is not so. I apologize for the confusion!

Quote:
Dear Kerrick,

A friend of the band has alerted me to some confusion expressed on forums regarding availability of pre-ordered Requiem - Pianissimo CDs, and your forum name appears to be aligned with an order (I apologise if this is incorrect). As stated on the webstore the expected shipping date is November 30. I believe the confusion may have arisen due to the auto-generated wording of the transaction software. "Order completed" in this situation means simply that payment has been processed.

My apologies on behalf of the band, and all involved. It would be much appreciated if you were able to share the clarification with any others that hold concerns.

Thank you for your support of Virgin Black.

Thanks for that update, at least I can stop being disappointed every day checking the mailbox and not seeing a package from Australia in there lol.

Lysander
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 7:28 am 

maladie wrote:
I wonder if this means they were just waiting for the end of their contract with The End Records to release this. I'm also curious to see what they will do afterwards.

I think you're pretty much on the money. Pianissimo was recorded twelve years ago, but I know they had horrendous complications with The End which prevented them from releasing it. Now they can. Whether this means they are 'back' or not is another matter.

Kerrick
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 3:28 pm 

Evoken wrote:
Thanks for that update, at least I can stop being disappointed every day checking the mailbox and not seeing a package from Australia in there lol.

Exactly my thoughts haha.

Foxx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 8:38 am 

I just got a Bandcamp download code sent to me via email. What a time to be alive.

Evoken
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 11:20 am 

Foxx wrote:
I just got a Bandcamp download code sent to me via email. What a time to be alive.

I got one too. Currently downloading!

It still floors me that when the band first announced this trilogy of albums back in 2006, little did anyone guess that the first part of the trilogy wouldn't be released until 12 years later. So strange.

Kerrick
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 12:26 pm 

Listening now. It's a good day. :)

Byrain
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 10:27 am 

maladie wrote:
It's been mentioned on their site that they now own 100% of it and all proceeds go to them. I wonder if this means they were just waiting for the end of their contract with The End Records to release this. I'm also curious to see what they will do afterwards.

That was what I always thought was the case since they first vanished, but of course the details which I have since forgotten are no longer easy to find online...

Anyways, now that I have a digital copy its a true sign of quality seeing that it still sounds entirely fresh while having been recorded over a decade ago.

MawBTS
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 8:34 pm 

Is Virgin Back black!?

Evoken
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:52 pm 

MawBTS wrote:
Is Virgin Back black!?

You take that black! I mean back.

Reply to topic