Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Lionel Fauquier
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 9:55 pm 

So I ran into a friend of mine the other day , who said that a friend of his is in the process of putting together a crossover thrash metal band with an ETA theme . For those not in the know , this is the organization I'm referring to ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ETA_(separatist_group) ) . I'm also sure that said fellows aren't actual ETA members and/or sympathizers FWIW .

Now it goes without saying that terrorism is bad and all , but I must honestly say that a band as described above would be rather original with regard to its lyrical/image theme . I mean I'm not aware of a single metal band that uses the terrorist trope as its lyrical/image concept and it's definitely possible to use an edgy theme without causing offense . Personally I'd love to see more originality within this aspect of metal music , since there's far too many bands utilizing the same old " Satan and gore " trope .

Anyways to flesh out my point , I'm just curious to get the consensus on this subject . Anything and everything that related to metal bands using the theme of terrorism in a non propagandistic way is welcome .

Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 10:19 pm 

A crossover/thrash band with a terrorist theme? Yeah, that was done well in the 80s.

https://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Fe ... Hell/97748

If you ask me, the idea of starting a terrorist-themed metal band based on a group that signed a cease-fire and dissolved a few months ago is a pretty dumb gimmick.

Gunslinger21
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 4:18 am 

Doesn't Brujeria write about that kind of thing?

CrippledLucifer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 5:05 am 

Lionel Fauquier wrote:
So I ran into a friend of mine the other day , who said that a friend of his is in the process of putting together a crossover thrash metal band with an ETA theme . For those not in the know , this is the organization I'm referring to ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ETA_(separatist_group) ) . I'm also sure that said fellows aren't actual ETA members and/or sympathizers FWIW .

Are said guys spanish or residing in Spain? Good luck getting away with that once the wrong kind of attention catches up to their gimmick :lol:

Epicureo
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 5:56 am 

Gunslinger21 wrote:
Doesn't Brujeria write about that kind of thing?

Yep, but it's mostly on the goofy side of Mexican narco-terrorism.

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 7:40 am 

The British band Insurgency do terrorist themed black-thrash. They're alright, I guess. Nothing original, though.

Indecency
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 10:05 am 

This terrorist-themed thrash band is from my hometown. They're broken up now, though. Some gimmicky stuff, some alright stuff.

Villainizer

Temple Of Blood
Old Man Yells at Cloud

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 11:06 am 

Villainizer comes to mind. First Hexen album also?

BasqueStorm
The Wettest Blanket

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 1:44 pm 

CrippledLucifer wrote:
Are said guys spanish or residing in Spain? Good luck getting away with that once the wrong kind of attention catches up to their gimmick :lol:

Yep. Some bands received LOTS of shit for NOTHING so good luck! :P

Necrophile Clerk
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 2:08 pm 

Zodijackyl wrote:
A crossover/thrash band with a terrorist theme? Yeah, that was done well in the 80s.

If you ask me, the idea of starting a terrorist-themed metal band based on a group that signed a cease-fire and dissolved a few months ago is a pretty dumb gimmick.

Ghoul's cover is hella sweet though-so there is that.

HaPoStaPu
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 8:55 am 

Fearless Iranians was the first name that came to mind.

Otherwise some far left/right bands, probably mostly punk/hardcore/oi/rac though, at least when I think of albums that were censored for encouraging political violence. The current lot of Islamic terrorists probably won't make good metal albums (making good terrorist albums works better when open to the consumption of beer). Maybe some of the more patriotic American albums by MOD (or even SOD...Fuck the middle east...) might have had tendencies that some on the receiving end might see as pro-terrorist but not as the main concept. Never really listened to MOD though, so couldn't say.

Anubis
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 12:26 pm 

It's just the one album, but Blood Revolt is a pretty good example of this.

Cobweb
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 10:06 pm 

two Edmonton bands, one band called villianizer who a thrash band fronted by an arab that actually dresses the part... AND THE THERE IS good ol' AMSG who band leader is a self described black metal terrorist who are out on profound lore records... there best work was the first to recording, leaning on the first ep, the principle of evil becomes the ideal of promethean

Lionel Fauquier
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 9:52 am 

Zodijackyl wrote:

This is the first time I've heard of this band , but I'll be sure to check them out . Anyways thanks for your input man .

Lionel Fauquier
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 9:55 am 

CrippledLucifer wrote:
Lionel Fauquier wrote:

Nah they're a bunch of American guys from the DC suburbs , so I doubt they're gonna piss anyone off anytime soon . Of course touring in Spain would obviously pose numerous difficulties , but I highly doubt they'll ever get that big .

Lionel Fauquier
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 9:42 am 

So I actually checked out some of the bands y'all recommended and yeah this theme has definitely been explored within the realm of heavy metal lyricism/imagery ...

That said it definitely isn't overblown like many others and I'm also not aware of any band utilizing the defunct European nationalist terrorist group trope , so there's still a bit of originality to be had with this affair .

Oh and I also attended the first rehearsal of the band I've mentioned above and they're fairly decent . They've actually made authentic looking ETA masks which they plan on wearing when playing gigs and the lead singer even has a replica Ingram sub machine gun that he plans on waving around during certain moments in songs . Their cover of Heart's " Barracuda " is also surprisingly good as well and the originals I've heard have a sort of old school Nunslaughter feel to them .

Anyways if I ever get around to putting on a metal festival , then I'm definitely gonna consider booking them as a support band if possible .

Reply to topic