Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Realgoth
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 12:23 am 

So I am more confused with this band. My dying bride is considered as gothic-doom metal band. They are God fathers of doom, no doubt in it but I really didn't find any gothic metal influence in them, except for some tracks but that's not enough to labeled them into Gothic. The only pure gothic-doom metal is Paradise Lost. My dying bride as no elements of gothic metal in them

PaganiusI
Zee Bombelecher

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 5:26 am 

If you exclude some songs from their carreer to get the genre tag you want, why not exclude all of them and make them a brand of clothing?

Realgoth
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 5:44 am 

If you exclude some songs from their carreer to get the genre tag you want, why not exclude all of them and make them a brand of clothing?
@Paganiusl why you are so rude. My point was just that if they are death-doom metal then they should be labeled as that only and not as gothic

PaganiusI
Zee Bombelecher

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 10:44 am 

Realgoth wrote:
@Paganiusl why you are so rude. My point was just that if they are death-doom metal then they should be labeled as that only and not as gothic

I'm sorry if I sounded rude. I just criticised your exclutions and reduced it to absurdity with a fair bit of sarcasm and tried to be at least somewhat funny... MDB surely started as Death/Doom, but even in their early days they had some gothic elements within their sound, subtle perhaps, but they were there. And over time they lost most a couple of their death influences (without loosing them completely) and shifted towards the gothic doom as they are listed here. I don't know all of their releases, but might it be possible that they just approached that theme in a different way than Paradise Lost? "Gothic" as a genre is very multi-facetted and it's influence on metal goes far beyond cheesy keyboards and high-pitched female vocals.

true_death
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 12:03 pm 

I personally view My Dying Bride as doom/death metal band, with a strong influence from gothic literature in their lyrics. I understand why they're lumped in with that scene, but I don't use the "gothic" term to describe their actual music simply because they (barring a few songs) never really had the overt Sisters of Mercy/The Cure-styled goth rock influence that was readily apparent in the music of Paradise Lost, Anathema, Katatonia, Tiamat, and many others. To me, My Dying Bride were a totally different breed from any of those bands. In a way, I suppose calling them "gothic metal" is like calling Amon Amarth "Viking metal" or Running Wild "pirate metal".

cultofkraken
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 7:42 pm 

true_death wrote:
I personally view My Dying Bride as doom/death metal band, with a strong influence from gothic literature in their lyrics. I understand why they're lumped in with that scene, but I don't use the "gothic" term to describe their actual music simply because they (barring a few songs) never really had the overt Sisters of Mercy/The Cure-styled goth rock influence that was readily apparent in the music of Paradise Lost, Anathema, Katatonia, Tiamat, and many others. To me, My Dying Bride were a totally different breed from any of those bands. In a way, I suppose calling them "gothic metal" is like calling Amon Amarth "Viking metal" or Running Wild "pirate metal".

I’m with you here, except I think I do hear a vocal influence on Aaron from say Sisters of Mercy and maybe a bit of Bauhaus/Ian Curtis JD etc.. I think the Gothic we ascribe to MDB is more of a Victorian Gothic influence than modern/postmodern Gothic, and certainly musically I’d say none of the instrumentation is goth rock influenced at all like you said.

blackmantram
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 12:48 am 

Friendly reminder that nowadays the word "gothic" is mainly used for keyboard-driven metal with a melancholic feeling that cannot fit the "symphonic" tag. Perhaps it was originally intended to describe goth rock influenced metal, but it has little to do with it really.

Reply to topic