Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
lost_wanderer
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 4:31 pm 

Have you ever dreamed during sleep of something related directly to metal like hearing a song or meeting a musician?

I hve some exemples:

In a dream, I have encounter a wizard doing black magic. There was inverted pentagrams and other similar symbols. In the background, a Beherit song was played.

In an other dream, I have met Fenris of Darkthrone. I trekked I little bit with him in a landscape similar to a toundra. Some time after, he received a phone call. I heard what the other person said to him throught the phone. The voice said that he was Lemmy from Motorhead in a really high tone. Fenriz respond:«You're not Lemmy»

I have also made an encounter with Vark Vikernes at leat twice but the details are blurry. It was some sort of a confrontation if I remember well.

DecemberSoul
Mirties Metafora

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 4:49 pm 

Have had several, but they're all on the not-so-spectacular side and thus not worth writing down.

TrooperEd
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 11:34 pm 

I had a dream that Ozzy Osbourne's Blizzard of Ozz lineup of was on the Muppet Show. Statler & Woldorf made a joke about Randy selling his soul to the devil for his talent and the rest sold their souls for drugs.
I didn't know children book fans were so angry.

true_death
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 11:59 pm 

I once had a dream where I was sitting in front of my stereo and listened to Morbid Angel's Domination in it's entirety. The weird thing is, that's the album I've listened to by far the least out of any of the classics, so how it got engrained in my subconscious like that is a total mystery...

CrippledLucifer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 5:17 am 

I once had a dream that I was watching some american post-metal band at a festival, and then I woke up and I was actually watching that band at a festival, and I had fallen asleep where I was sitting because they were so incredibly boring.

Freeballin
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 5:38 am 

I dreamt that I was the new guitar player of Metallica and I was making my onstage debut, only problem was I was playing the songs the way I do in real life (that is to say, not very good) and everyone was booing me. Sucked.

nightbreaker33
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 6:19 am 

Interesting post. I have experienced something similar myself. I was home, sitting on a chair eating a cucumber while all of a sudden some random dudes with corpse paint on their faces appear and start playing bad black metal music through a stereo. They were windmill headbanging and stuff. I ignored them at first. But then, they played a bm song in which the band ripped off the warning of danger riff by Omen (the one which starts when kimball says"faaaaaalll"). Crazy right?

severzhavnost
Something Stupid

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 9:18 am 

I have a recurring dream that involves the Master’s Hammer song “Among the Hills a Path is Winding”. There’s a barren landscape with partly clouded-over grey sunlight and the song is playing somewhere in the distance. I and a few dozen other people are drawn to search out the source of the song; and we all walk towards it in silence as nobe of us know each other. There is no other sound but the song.
Eventually we come to a hilly area, with many different paths winding through. They all seem to lead down into a misty valley, and we all take different paths down that way. Looking around, I can see that many of the other paths lead nowhere and simply vanish into the hills.
At the bottom, only three of us remain. We find that the song is playing from inside a cave. When we step inside, a cloaked figure appears and the song changes to “By the Misery of Fate I Am Haunted”. The entrance to the cave then fills in with more of that strange mist, which seems to become almost solid and impassible. Then I wake up, and assume the three of us are trapped in the cave til death.
It’s so powerful that your stomachs will damn.
Bulgogi Kimchi Bibimbap waffle burger! Holy shit! litterally shit!

~Guest 417309
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 9:49 am 

Back when I discovered Burzum I had dreams about running through a weird looking forest and the wind would pick up and I could hear Varg's screams coming from multiple directions. It was actually a scary as fuck dream that would wake me out of my sleep. This happened multiple times.

tahu157
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 11:28 am 

I think I've had a few dreams about walking into a record shop that happened to have every super obscure and hard to find CD I was looking for at the time. Those dreams were kind of annoying to wake up from.

TheJizzHammer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 12:00 pm 

I had a dream that Behemoth hired me as their live bass player to play a show on a big cruise ship. I didn't practice at all and just beat the shit out of the E string the whole show, hoping get hired as a full time member. Nergal also gave me a voucher to go buy some big black boots. What a fuckin' guy.

DeadKid
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 4:41 am 

I used to have a lot of dreams about attending concerts when I used Last.fm to track my attendance, though usually they were only for one or two songs. I don't remember them all, but some of the metal bands I made a note of include Alestorm, Exodus, Kylesa, Megadeth, Metallica, Slayer, Suicidal Tendencies and numerous local bands. Some other metal-related dreams I typed up details of previously:

- Performing vocals onstage with Motörhead in a small venue and doing a crappy job of it. Then there was an intermission and some mob boss drove up outside in a comically small car. Back in the venue, an online friend of mine who was seriously ill at the time was there. He was puking up blood and chunks of flesh and just generally spraying pink gloop around. Gig ruined.

- Björk fronting a band that covered what was supposedly a Neurosis song, and then Father's Grave - the song that features Glenn Danzig - with Björk singing Danzig's lines, while the woman who was supposed to sing the rest was jet lagged and delirious and talking shit.

- Sitting around talking about movies at a local gig, with the bands deciding to pull the plug because it was 11pm, hardly anyone had showed up and none of them had played yet.

- A metal gig attendee had a son from an affair with a high profile married businessman, and she was looking after the son in a hidden, disused room in a shopping centre undergoing renovation.

- A goofy extreme metal party/creative session in a house. There was writing songs, forming bands, performances, jumping on a mattress and other silly shit. Discussions on how to delicately handle neo-Nazi music appearing in the scene.

- Oh, here's the Slayer dream: I was on a canoe trip through a perilous Chinese jungle, where the rivers were full of all kinds of cute but deadly fish. Somehow later I ended up on a field trip to a 'temple of doom', which I figured must be from the Indiana Jones stories. Slayer played a gig there, and afterwards Tom was wearing KISS makeup for some reason. It turned out they'd added a pianist to their line up. Tom started arguing with the rest of the band about the groupies who were jumping onto their aeroplane (which happened to be parked right there), so the audience started leaving.

gabber
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 8:04 pm 

I was walking around some weird creepy graveyard, like the ones in the b-grade Italian horror movies from the 80's. I came upon a hole in the ground and there was a casket in it, it hadn't been buried deep enough and what dirt had been over it had been removed, so it was only a couple of feet below ground level.

It was fucking open. And in it, Dave Mustaine with his arms crossed over his chest. Then he sat up slowly and said 'Good Mourning' - just like in the song. With his arms still crossed like that.

I ran for my life. I'm all for meeting people but that shit went too far.

I will please entry anus
Oh my god! Give me spicy pussy
Pussy is good smell
Shit is bad smell

at the gaytes
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 11:48 am 

I dreamed once that I was writing some badass riff on guitar, it sounded very good, but the tablature I was writing clearly didn't match what I was playing on guitar

severzhavnost
Something Stupid

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 3:23 pm 

at the gaytes wrote:
I dreamed once that I was writing some badass riff on guitar, it sounded very good, but the tablature I was writing clearly didn't match what I was playing on guitar

Hate it when that happens! I often dream that I’ve written an amazing song - and it’s complete, lyrics and all - then I wake up and remember that I own none of the required instruments or knowledge of how to play them.
It’s so powerful that your stomachs will damn.
Bulgogi Kimchi Bibimbap waffle burger! Holy shit! litterally shit!

Indecency
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 10:11 am 

I've had a few, all concert related. One I can remember off the top of my head is I saw Soilwork live.

I believe they usually have me waiting for a headliner but the dream never makes it that far, or the headliner's set isn't of their real songs.

xxld1k
The Sweetest Summer Child EVER!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 2:45 pm 

I had a dream that I was at a Bolt Thrower concert with some non-metalhead family and I was freaking out excited. Turns out no one wanted to see them and they played about two songs then all the lights came on and they were packing it up.

https://www.last.fm/user/xxld1k

CarlLSanders
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 4:11 pm 

An oldy, but goody:
My wife and I were sitting on the mezz at a joint in SF called The Great American Music Hall. The band on stage was Down. They were jamming on Det Som Engang Var. Great music(I can dream up some fine riffs.) She was smoking a doob. She turned to me and said "Here."
...and I woke up.
A true dream.

KrigareTjovane
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 4:21 pm 

I've had dreams of performing my own music live before, which have always been some of my favorite dreams of all time. I never have performed live, but the dreams have happened enough to where I think I almost know what it's like.

~Guest 394415
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 11:39 am 

Last edited by ~Guest 394415 on Mon Feb 10, 2020 7:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RakdosWarlord
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 2:55 am 

No but I find metal really soothing to listen to before going to sleep. I can't be the only one.

nightbreaker33
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2019 5:01 am 

I got some more. On the first one, I was at a show outdoors and there was a band which consisted of old dudes with kiss face paint that covered Avenger's Enforcer (NWOBM) though they skipped the melody part after the main riff. Another one I had was that I was in my town square when I suddenly noticed a record store which in reality is located 25 Kms away from my house. So, I went in and found out they were permanently closing because of the IRS or something like that. There were very few CD's , some t-shirts and a guitar which was sold for 90€ (flying V)

RattEurope
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2019 10:01 am 

nightbreaker33 wrote:
Interesting post. I have experienced something similar myself. I was home, sitting on a chair eating a cucumber while all of a sudden some random dudes with corpse paint on their faces appear and start playing bad black metal music through a stereo. They were windmill headbanging and stuff. I ignored them at first. But then, they played a bm song in which the band ripped off the warning of danger riff by Omen (the one which starts when kimball says"faaaaaalll"). Crazy right?

This is my favorite so far.

Man you people have exciting dreams. I am lucky if my dream isn't about doing something at work.

Unity
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2019 10:07 am 

I once dreamed that I was in a hotel room with Fenriz. He was in his underwear telling me that he believed in karma.

Festivus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2019 10:14 am 

Actually, I don't think I have. I certainly never dreamt of any band in specific or any music concert related to metal. As for a metal song playing in my dream? Eh, maybe? But can't say I recall. If I did then it must have been like one single time. Usually my dreams are rather repetitive and I remember their main themes. Metal isn't one of them and perhaps that's for the best. Imagining dreaming a scenario of a death metal song. Doesn't sound pleasant...

Unity wrote:
I once dreamed that I was in a hotel room with Fenriz. He was in his underwear telling me that he believed in karma.

Occasionally someone famous or someone I know irl, even if I haven't seen them in years, shows up in my dreams usually doing or saying something completely out of character. Kinda funny how our mind works during sleep.

mirons
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2019 10:29 am 

I've had a few.

- this was some 15 years ago: There was a metal gig in my old school (some 6-7 years after I graduated from high school); there were 4 bands playing: Napalm Death, Flaying (a local brutal death metal band), Repent (a rather obscure German thrash metal band I had seen in a festival recently), and can't remember who the 4th one was. Two of the bands were to play in teachers' room which is situated at one end of a rather long hallway, and the other two were in chemistry class at the opposite end of the hallway. Napalm Death guys were warming up for the gig by smoking a joint in the principal's office, while the lead singer of Repent was wandering around the hallway so drunk that he had to hold on to the walls to stay upright.

- Slayer and Motorhead were playing my city in a small venue; contrary to what I had expected, there were only a handful of people attending. On the next day though, I was just passing by the venue and saw a huge crowd gathering outside. Turned out that the concert dates were mixed up and almost everyone turned up a day late.

- Slayer played some sort of grand opening of a huge mall. Well, two of them at least - Tom and Dave, can't remember who the rest of the band were. Can't remeber much else about this one.

There have probable been a few more which I have forgotten already.

EDIT: just remembered a more recent one: Type O Negative releasing a new/previously unreleased song, which had the following lyrics:

I want to lay my hands on you
Preferrably re-attached to my arms

jimbies
Noose Springsteen

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2019 10:55 am 

I have a recurring dream (2-3 times a week) in which I meet a celebrity of various levels and take a selfie with them. In every dream, once they've left, my selfie is always blurry or didn't turn out. I've had this with numerous metal musicians (Lars Ulrich, Chuck Billy, King Diamond, Necrobutcher etc etc etc).

Interestingly, I had dreams of others (Mikael Akerfeldt, Danny Cavanagh) but ever since i DID meet them, and my photo turned out, they no longer appear in my dreams. Others that I've met have never ever appeared (the guys from In Flames, Alcest, Diamond Head). Same with Springsteen. I used to have this dream with him constantly, and never again since I did meet him.

Some other notable ones in the past little bit: Michelle Obama, David Letterman, Laura Dern & David Lynch (same dream), Neko Case, Jimmy Kimmel, and most recently, Bradley Cooper (whom I am not a fan of).

AndromedaVessel
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2019 2:37 pm 

These are the ones I remember:

- Bal-Sagoth having another album in the 90s which the cover was like greenish-blue-tinted walls of a cave;

- watching a Divina Enema show;

- three albums by Divina Enema being recently discovered;

- me making a mumble rap enthusiast that had an autotune app on his phone leave by perfectly singing the chorus to Omit's Constriction

LycanthropeMoon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2019 2:43 pm 

Once, a very long time ago (like...when I was in high school), I had fallen asleep with "Once" by Nightwish in my CD player. That night, I dreamed about an evil wizard or something trying to destroy a castle. Tarja Turunen descended from the sky in a white dress, and thus began an epic battle. There was also the time I fell asleep to "Cruelty and the Beast" by Cradle of Filth and dreamed about horned vampires trying to kill me.

Gravetemplar
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2019 3:26 pm 

I once had a pretty dumb dream in which black metal had some kind of headquarters with an office for each band. Offices were organized so bands from the same scene where all together (for example, the Norwegian scene had their own floor). Imagine some big FBI building from the movies full of offices with black metal guys doing boring paperwork. I also clearly remember the guys from Crepusculo Negro lived in the basement with no electricity or air conditioning.

RakdosWarlord wrote:
No but I find metal really soothing to listen to before going to sleep. I can't be the only one.

Yes, I usually listen to black metal to fall asleep. I even have automatized that moment when I realize I fell asleep with the headphones on and I take them off and leave them on the nightstand. I've never woken up with the headphones but a lot of times I don't remember taking them off.

RattEurope
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2019 3:32 pm 

Gravetemplar wrote:
I once had a pretty dumb dream in which black metal had some kind of headquarters with an office for each band. Offices were organized so bands from the same scene where all together (for example, the Norwegian scene had their own floor). Imagine some big FBI building from the movies full of offices with black metal guys doing boring paperwork. I also clearly remember the guys from Crepusculo Negro lived in the basement with no electricity or air conditioning.

That sounds like a video game that needs to be made.

Gravetemplar
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2019 3:36 pm 

RattEurope wrote:
Gravetemplar wrote:

That sounds like a video game that needs to be made.

There is a weird game from this year called Control which has nothing to do with black metal but it's what you'd expect from Lynch making a videogame about the FBI, in case you're not familiar with it.

Sorry for the offtopic (my dream was a lot of years before).

Sepulchrave
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2019 9:06 pm 

Unity wrote:

lost_wanderer wrote:
In an other dream, I have met Fenris of Darkthrone. I trekked I little bit with him in a landscape similar to a toundra. Some time after, he received a phone call. I heard what the other person said to him throught the phone. The voice said that he was Lemmy from Motorhead in a really high tone. Fenriz respond:«You're not Lemmy»

Isn't that funny...

Fenriz was once in my dreams, too. We were in my kitchen and he was just explaining to me why death/doom metal was so good. Then he played Winter on his phone and I entered a weird hypnotic state where everything was slow and utterly silent except for the mysterious, understated main riff of Goden.

I also dreamt of visiting my aunt and putting on Burzum's Det som engang var on her DVD player. Turns out the CD had a video on it as well, so I watched it. It was just this barren landscape in Iceland or something, all with Burzum in the background. Somehow I entered that landscape and saw my dad and my little brother walking along an empty road there.

Marginally related but I also had a dream where I was chasing a criminal around the centre of town with a friend who was wearing a Summoning shirt. All of the sudden the friend decided to lift his shirt up and start waving his penis around.

gasmask_colostomy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2019 9:53 pm 

I dreamed that I listened to the whole of Dream Theater's 'The Count of Tuscany'. That doesn't sound very special, but the song is about 19 minutes long.

Lord_Jotun
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2019 6:17 am 

I once dreamed I went back to some parish where we used to hang out as kids, as it had a pretty neat basketball court in the yard. It was evening/night, and quite a few people (mostly middle aged normies) were gathering there for some event. We all went to the basement and in one mid-sized room there were Dimmu Borgir playing - but it was the For All Tid line-up, with Silenoz on vocals and Shagrath on drums, and no keyboards; they looked like they did in pictures of that era too.
They played some slow stuff which may have been material from the first album in front of a seated audience (including me), but at one point Shagrath dropped both his drumsticks and the whole band stopped. There was this huge, almost physical wave of embarrassment coming from both the band and the audience, and it got so unbearable it woke me up.

When I was in high school I dreamed of performing at the end of the year concert in the gym; the band was playing Fear Factory's cover of Dog Day Sunrise and I was on vocals, sounding exactly like Burton. I hadn't even started a band back then, and I sound nothing like him.

There are many others, but I only recall a few vague details. I also had the "hanging out with one or more musicians" and the "getting dragged on stage to play by a band with no preparation whatsoever" dreams at some point, possibly more than once.
Orgiastic Pleasures
Rust
Black Druid Hymns - my projects on YouTube

balbulus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2019 8:42 am 

Here's a dream I had this year, it was so vivid I wrote it down as soon as I woke up. This is what I wrote:

Watching a band play outside a cafe. They sounded a bit like The 3rd & The Mortal, atmospheric/folky with some metal elements. 2 sisters singing and playing guitar, with Chris Reifert from Autopsy on drums. He was also dressed and made-up like a satyr without the goats legs, and began the set playing a large bone flute the size of a dinosaur bone. He dropped the flute whilst drumming and it broke.

Xymosys
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2019 2:51 pm 

Last night I dreamt that I recommended Lycia to somebody.

Sepulchrave
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2019 3:46 pm 

Xymosys wrote:
Last night I dreamt that I recommended Lycia to somebody.

Not metal, but great band.

OpsiusCato
Mexican Metal Inquisition

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2019 5:57 pm 

Funny that I notice this thread until today. Last night I dreamt that I played in a satanic Doom Metal band with Cazz from GBK and Crucifier.
Opsius is Metal as fuck.

~Guest 58624
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2019 6:12 pm 

I have an occasionally recurring nightmare in which I'm enlisted at some concert (school talent show?) to play guitar in a metal band, usually like a Morbid Angel (cover?) band, and am severely ill-prepared, i.e., do not know how to play the fucking guitar.

But somehow I usually end up playing semi-okay, neither offending nor interesting what little audience there is... Meh, it's not so much a nightmare as it is just...annoying.

Reply to topic Go to page 1, 2  Next