Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
acid_bukkake
SAD!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 9:59 am 

SFU headlined a death metal festival in Worcester, MA a few years back. Right before them were Suffocation (with Frank), and before them were Dying Fetus. I've never seen a building empty out so quickly, to the point where they covered "Hammer Smashed Face" so that maybe that 1/3 of the crowd left didn't follow suit.

SFU are McDeath. They're fine here and there, probably a good band to see if there's anything about death metal you'll enjoy, but constant exposure gives you diabetes.

darkeningday wrote:
I haven't saw any of the Seen movies.

CloggedUrethra
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 11:06 am 

Barnes sounded like crap even on The Bleeding. Maybe people were expecting too much from SFU based on stuff like this wikipedia entry about The Bleeding that paints Barnes like the mastermind behind CC. To me, SFU sounds just as good as Obituary (in other words, not good).

DeadXManiac
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 11:58 am 

To me they've always been D- grade death metal, you couldn't pay me to sit through a whole album. Plus even in CC Barnes was always the weak link for me anyway.

Last.fm

Freeballin
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 2:26 pm 

If the only metal site / forum you frequent is Metal Archives it only seems like they get a lot of hate. They’d get a much more positive reception around here if they all got hair cuts and wore Buddy Holly glasses. Literaly everywhere else they’re one of the greatest death metal bands of all time.

thrashmaniac87
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 3:23 pm 

Freeballin wrote:
If the only metal site / forum you frequent is Metal Archives it only seems like they get a lot of hate. They’d get a much more positive reception around here if they all got hair cuts and wore Buddy Holly glasses. Literaly everywhere else they’re one of the greatest death metal bands of all time.

I realize that you're just a troll but are there actually metal forums where everybody likes SFU?

untappd: patrick_g

LycanthropeMoon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 3:38 pm 

Freeballin wrote:

cultofkraken
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 3:52 pm 

Freeballin wrote:

That’s some of the funniest shit I’ve ever read. Thank you for the belly laugh! “One of the greatest death metal bands of all time.” HAHAHAHAHA

Freeballin
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 4:01 pm 

thrashmaniac87 wrote:
Freeballin wrote:

I realize that you're just a troll but are there actually metal forums where everybody likes SFU?

Not forums, more like the comment sections at the bottom of Blabbermouth and Loudwire sites.

true_death
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 4:41 pm 

Freeballin wrote:
Not forums, more like the comment sections at the bottom of Blabbermouth and Loudwire sites.

Well, yeah...but the exact same people would tell you Five Finger Death Punch are automatically good because "they support the military, and stuff".

thrashinbatman
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 4:50 pm 

CloggedUrethra wrote:
Barnes sounded like crap even on The Bleeding. Maybe people were expecting too much from SFU based on stuff like this wikipedia entry about The Bleeding that paints Barnes like the mastermind behind CC. To me, SFU sounds just as good as Obituary (in other words, not good).

I like how it claims the change in direction was totally Barnes' decision even though he doesn't have a single musical credit on the album. :lol: I guess Barnes dictated the sound of the album to the rest of the band?

Bingewolf
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 8:03 pm 

Conspiracy theory: Freeballin is Chris Barnes. :lol:

Dooders
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 9:17 pm 

I find SFU to be boring and monotonous for the most part. It doesn't take a lot for me to like a groovy death metal and SFU's peers like Jungle Rot and Obituary are masters at it, but SFU never had good enough riffs to make it work. Chris Barnes vocal decline is staggeringly intense and can sound damn near cringe-worthy, especially the last 10 years or so.

Crypt of the Devil was solid and had some standout tracks, but Barnes vocals hurt that album just like the rest. Those Cannabis Corpse guys did a bang up job on that album what I would say is up there for the best SFU riffs ever and added much needed fury to the sound.

ohfuck
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 10:19 pm 

SFU is hilarious as fuck cause it's weird how bad they are but how "popular" they seem to be. Chris is the worst death metal vocalist and after Warpath got really bad really quick. I want to know how he came up with the weird high laughs he does on True Carnage cause that shit is bonkers.

Hallucination Realized. Real grind shit

MrMcThrasher II
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 11:45 pm 

CloggedUrethra wrote:

You take that back about Obituary right now.

TheDefiniteArticle wrote:
Also hopefully they take it as a sign they're not meant to make more albums.

Lord_Jotun
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 8:46 am 

thrashinbatman wrote:
CloggedUrethra wrote:

I like how it claims the change in direction was totally Barnes' decision even though he doesn't have a single musical credit on the album. :lol: I guess Barnes dictated the sound of the album to the rest of the band?

If you listen to the aborted Created to Kill session you can hear a handful of songs that ended up on Vile, and they're the exact same tracks with different lyrics and vocals - that's how crucial Barnes was to dictating the band's direction.

MrMcThrasher II wrote:
You take that back about Obituary right now.

I agree. Not a big fan of their post-reunion stuff but I'll take any of those albums over SFU without even blinking.
Orgiastic Pleasures
Rust
Black Druid Hymns - my projects on YouTube

theposega
Mezla

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 9:57 am 

i have a hard time imagining anyone being into death metal for over a year (that isn't a hardcore transplant) and still enjoying obituary, but at least they have the courtesy to sound a bit like celtic frost. six feet under is just pure buttgroove.

Epicureo
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 1:47 pm 

theposega wrote:
i have a hard time imagining anyone being into death metal for over a year (that isn't a hardcore transplant) and still enjoying obituary, but at least they have the courtesy to sound a bit like celtic frost. six feet under is just pure buttgroove.

I'm not going to talk about the whole Obituary discography but their first two albums are serial killer material and I have a hard time imagining someone being into death metal not being able to appreciate them.

TooBrute
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 1:55 pm 

I think the reason why Six Feet Under is so infamous is for very same reason they're famous and that's Chris Barnes.

Chris Barnes' became such a legend in the pantheon of Death Metal because of his revolutionary brutal vocals and grotesquely detailed lyrics during his time in Cannibal Corpse. In his time with Six Feet Under though his vocals have gotten gradually worse and worse and his lyrics have gotten more and more simplistic and "cheesy".

Majority of the time, when people express their disdain toward SFU it's usually directed at Chris Barnes.
Very rarely is it due to the music itself, in-fact Six Feet Under has had a solid line-up of musicians throughout their career.

Haunted, Warpath, Maximum Violence & True Carnage have some killer material on it and were the last albums before Chris' vocals went to complete sh*t.

I think if Chris Barnes was able to maintain the vocal quality and lyrical integrity he had while in Cannibal Corpse, Six Feet Under would be a respectable band but with Chris Barnes now sounding worse than ever it's sadly hard to take him and his band seriously.

Space_alligator
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 8:07 pm 

When Post Malone appeared, i thought Chris Barnes got a hairtrim and started a hip hop project.

Hope this helps.

theposega
Mezla

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 9:00 pm 

Epicureo wrote:
theposega wrote:

I'm not going to talk about the whole Obituary discography but their first two albums are serial killer material and I have a hard time imagining someone being into death metal not being able to appreciate them.

i enjoyed those two albums early on but have since heard enough other good death metal that i don't feel the need to revisit. it's been years and i haven't looked back.

CloggedUrethra
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 9:58 pm 

thrashinbatman wrote:
CloggedUrethra wrote:

I'd honestly believe if Barnes was in some way responsible for those opening verses in Stripped, Raped, and Strangled because of how bad and "rockstar-ish" they are, but it's funny that he still doesn't have a musical credit.

Bingewolf
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 12:00 am 

Space_alligator wrote:
When Post Malone appeared, i thought Chris Barnes got a hairtrim and started a hip hop project.

Hope this helps.

I would be more interested in a new SFU if Post Malone was handling vocal duties...

MrMcThrasher II
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 3:02 pm 

Bingewolf wrote:
Space_alligator wrote:

Hope this helps.

I would be more interested in a new SFU if Post Malone was handling vocal duties...

I'm just thinking of Post Malone doing his dumb monotone shit with something like Frantic Disembowelment.

Wrldeatr
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 7:01 pm 

Don't know myself why they or Barnes get so much hate. I enjoy SFU a great deal. My beef with them is that no other of their albums is nearly as good as Haunted. Although Torment is their next best I would say. And Barnes, let's just put it this way, post-Barnes-Cannibal Corpse has very few memorable songs. So not quite sure where Barnes's (and Cannibal Corpse's) inspiration went after 1995.

MrMcThrasher II
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 7:09 pm 

Wrldeatr wrote:
Don't know myself why they or Barnes get so much hate. I enjoy SFU a great deal. My beef with them is that no other of their albums is nearly as good as Haunted. Although Torment is their next best I would say. And Barnes, let's just put it this way, post-Barnes-Cannibal Corpse has very few memorable songs. So not quite sure where Barnes's (and Cannibal Corpse's) inspiration went after 1995.

Cannibal Corpse got significantly better after Barnes left. I'd argue he was one of the elements holding them back.

Lord_Jotun
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 10:40 am 

Maybe that's being a bit too harsh; CC's evolution occurred due to progressively more adventurous songwriting and line-up changes. He'd definitely be holding them back nowadays, though.
Orgiastic Pleasures
Rust
Black Druid Hymns - my projects on YouTube

HeavenDuff
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 6:35 pm 

MrMcThrasher II wrote:
Wrldeatr wrote:

Cannibal Corpse got significantly better after Barnes left. I'd argue he was one of the elements holding them back.

I don't think Cannibal Corpse got significantly better after Barnes' departure. The band has been very consistent throughout their entire career and since Barnes had basically nothing to do with the song-writing (even though he might have had an input on the band's artistic direction) I don't see how it could have really been otherwise. The guys just kept releasing amazing music after he left although I feel that their sound didn't evolve quite as much through the last 3 or 4 albums they released.

Maybe he would have held them back if he would have stayed, but that's pure speculation and based solely on the fact that SFU sucks ass.

nightbreaker33
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 7:10 pm 

6/10 of people i have asked didn't like six feet under due to the cover albums they released (i'm not joking)

DeathfareDevil
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 2:17 am 

One thing I'll say about this band, or at least the Warpath album specifically: when I was sort of reacquainting myself with extreme metal in the late 90s, I got this CD in a trade (god knows what I traded for it), and ended up retrading or selling it after listening to it like three or four times. Well I'm sitting here listening to it for the first time in like two decades, and so many of the vocal patterns, even lines of lyrics, are so familiar that it's like I just listened to the album yesterday. I'm shocked at how much of this springs right back to mind. I mean it's all lunkheaded shit and the riffs go absolutely nowhere, but the songs have a weird clinging power about them. I can see how Barnes forms a personal connection with people (though I don't know anything about what's been said in the thread about his derisive comments toward those fans).

But yeah six songs in and my IQ is draining like poisoned hit points. Not that that's always a bad thing.

into_the_pit
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 2:56 am 

DeathfareDevil wrote:
But yeah six songs in and my IQ is draining like poisoned hit points. Not that that's always a bad thing.

that's true, but I'd rather listen to countess exclusively for three weeks straight and watch myself losing IQ points than SFU. now that's a good thing, actually.

on a more serious and topic-related note: SFU do "get hate" for several reasons:

-their really excessively bad cover albums
-chris barnes being a very polarising fronter, with his CC history and everything, but most importantly his voice that's been noticeably deteriorating for what, like 20 years now? also, old CC fans who only like the barnes-era stuff have probably been expecting barnes with SFU to re-create some of the magic he had going on in the early CC records ever since he left them; and they have just been disappointed every single time.
-SFU play a pretty specific kind of dumbed-down death metal; it's seriously the bad, really generic kind of caveman stuff compared to e.g. countess, who evidently play the good, authentic caveman shit (although/because they repeat themselves so flagrantly); countess fans know what to expect and countess always deliver just that, whereas SFU fans listeners are always disappointed because they expect something good from this band with those big names that - in theory - should be able to and - in practice - are also expected to come up with something better, but they've been underachieving for decades now.
-SFU just always miss the groove they're obviously aiming for.

so I guess eventually it all comes down to belied expectations.
"Chainsaw Gutsfuck."

Rodman
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 3:50 am 

They have always been marketed as an elite DM band (music videos, magazine covers, online zine features etc) without ever having released a great album.

At a certain point, people begin to realise that they are being hoodwinked.

Cheapsteaks
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 9:25 am 

I will say, Knife, Gun, Axe from True Carnage has to be the funniest metal song ever for Chris mumbling over this repetitive riff, only to sometimes squeal out MUUURDERRRR, MUUUUURDEEEEER

Freeballin
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 12:34 pm 

Most of the tools who’re criticizing SFU haven’t really listened to ‘em. Check this out, https://youtu.be/3-qd_fm7Pco

And that’s from the supposedly crappy Graveyard Classics. I dunno maybe you guys would like it if they covered shit like Killswitch Engage and Attack Attack!.

lost_wanderer
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 1:36 pm 

Freeballin wrote:
Most of the tools who’re criticizing SFU haven’t really listened to ‘em. Check this out, https://youtu.be/3-qd_fm7Pco

And that’s from the supposedly crappy Graveyard Classics. I dunno maybe you guys would like it if they covered shit like Killswitch Engage and Attack Attack!.

It's a little better than average SFU songs because the riffs are from Judas Priest and they are better songwriters than SFU. If it weren't from the annoying vocals, it would have been a decent album for summertime with a beer or on a road trip.

Napalm_Satan
Ever-Opening Flower

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 1:41 pm 

The only reason that song has any merit has nothing to do with SFU anyway; musically it's a note for note recreation of 'Invader'. The only distinctly SFU thing about it is the vocal performance, which is trash.

theposega
Mezla

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 4:41 pm 

guys, freeballin is an insanely obvious troll. let's not dignify their fuckery with responses.

anyways six feet under somehow make benediction sound like demilich.

Freeballin
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 8:37 pm 

Ffffffwhat?! You really think defending Six Feet Under’s discography by posting a track from Graveyard Classics, then accusing everyone who hates SFU of being fans of shitty metalcore is the work of an obvious troll?!?

k311250
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 7:58 am 

http://bravewords.com/news/six-feet-und ... l-set-ever

"Six Feet Under fans in Russia, our set list for our concert on October 27th in Moscow will mark the longest performance in the history of Death Metal," proclaims vocalist Chris Barnes. "‪25 songs‬ - over 1 hour 30 min of music!"

Rodman
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 8:23 am 

k311250 wrote:
http://bravewords.com/news/six-feet-under-to-perform-longest-death-metal-set-ever

"Six Feet Under fans in Russia, our set list for our concert on October 27th in Moscow will mark the longest performance in the history of Death Metal," proclaims vocalist Chris Barnes. "‪25 songs‬ - over 1 hour 30 min of music!"

Putin employing ever more fiendish forms of cruel and unusual punishment.

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 9:08 am 

With any luck, this might be the event that kills his voice for good.

Seriously, of all the death metal bands to do an hour and a half set, it couldn't have been Morbid Angel or something? It really had to be Six Feet Under?

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next