Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
~Guest 43555
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 3:32 am 

Yeah, I know they made the atrocious "Graveyard Classics" records (even though I enjoy them to some morbid degree), but I generally find their older, and somewhat recent output to be pretty enjoyable. They are defenitly not the most extreme death metal band out there, but I've certainly heard worse in my 32 years on this planet.

I'd like to see what the board has to say about this subject!

PDS
The Folk One

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 4:11 am 

I'll bite. I have a morbid curiosity with SFU anyways.

Basically it is because the band had big names, and consistently was a shit teir B-ranked death metal band with horrible albums. That is the general consensus, like they still have their fans and all, but I think in general, people think that the band is mediocre at best.

Like, to start out, SFU was Barnes, hot out of CC with four fantastic dm albums notched on his belt. Joining with him was a former bassist of Death and Massacre (Spiritual Healing and From Beyond albums) and the lead guitarist of Obituary (Slowly We Rot, The End Complete). Just looking at that, and how the 90's were for DM, that is a hot ticket....and the albums sucked.

Then line-up shifts and then Graveyard Classes ('nuff said) and more albums. Everything sucked. I would call the mid-late 2000s albums better than their early output but those albums are still mediocre. I think a lot of the hate is the fact that all of these albums range from mediocre-horrible and the connection between Barnes and his CC work, even though he only did the vocals and lyrics. But even then, that is enough.

For instance, before Undead came out, I saw SFU at Summer Slaughter 2011 SFU ended their setlist with Hammer Smashed Face. I have no idea if SFU has played that song a lot but I'm guessing the answer is yes. There is something about a band, whose finale for their set is the most famous song of the band the frontman/figurehead was formerly a part of.

Undead, Unborn and Crypt of the Devil were solid, which was the sort of awakening of "holy shit, SFU is good now?" And then Graveyard Classics 4. Then Torment came out and it sucked.

I sort of started rambling but I think the major reason is a mix of 1. Wasted potential and 2. Fans clinging to past glories. So instead of "Man, this SFU is good but I prefered Barnes when he was in CC" you get....what SFU has now, I guess?
I dunno, I'm a guitarist and it always feels like playing a giant cock. Not just that but live music should hit you in the genitals. It might not if you don't use good amplifiers and your modelling shit goes straight out of the PA. But good music hits you HARD in the GENITALS.

Kladusha
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 5:19 am 

Yeah. Well made point. I totally agree. Every now and then I try to revisit Six Feet Under to see if I am missing something...the comparison with the first four CC's albums makes SFU always coming out crushed and smashed, plus their career has been pretty inconsistent. As PDS said, the wasted potential bugs me terribly, on paper they looked (and still somehow looks) like a death metal all stars, while in practise, they sucked hard.

Epicureo
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 5:50 am 

I actually think that Torment is a decent album all around, but still inferior to the previous three albums that revitalized the rotting carcass that is Six Feet Under (of course I'm excluding GCIV).
Hughell and Pitruzzella joining the band is the best thing that could ever happen to S.F.U. and I can't wait to hear an album featuring the whole new line-up.

Lord_Jotun
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 7:54 am 

I don't think I've ever witnessed outright hate for SFU; most people pass them by or occasionally chuckle at them, mostly for the reasons that PDS analyzed most comprehensively.

I bumped into the band the Summer Breeze Fest in 2004, between acts I was actually interested to see; their set felt tiresome and plodding, and Barnes sounded awfully hoarse - can't imagine how he might be like today, almost 15 damn years later.
Orgiastic Pleasures
Rust
Black Druid Hymns - my projects on YouTube

Cheapsteaks
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 8:34 am 

I like to listen to SFU, but there is a bit of novelty there. It's weird how it sort of goes through phases, with the early groove/death and roll phase, then there was that sort of weirder but interesting phase with Unborn and Undead, and now sort of punchier, shorter death metal now.

Lately the band also seems to have like two line ups, with one live and one working on albums, which makes sense but it's still odd that a band like SFU would need this. They also have all these super technical players, but they never really get to flex their muscles, which makes sense given the band's pedigree. It's like Johnny 5 from Rob Zombie, except with a much smaller paycheck.

Now I just remembered when Chris got pissed because more people were turning out to see Cattle Decapitation than SFU lol

theposega
Mezla

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 9:17 am 

i only ever properly heard commandment because i was new to heavy metal and didn't know any better. they used an opening riff on two different songs.

people hate six feet under because they just fucking suck. they've built their career on very watered down, un-extreme music. and chris barnes has 1000000% lost any ability he ever had.

Required Fields
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 9:35 am 

What I find weird is that a lot of the people I've come across who really like them don't really listen to too much death metal.

I Am the Law
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 10:53 am 

Because they are terrible.

schizoid
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 11:22 am 

I Am the Law wrote:
Because they are terrible.

Pretty much. This compounded by the seemingly endless shit covers they put out making them a joke band. So I guess they are basically what the average outsider imagines death metal to be.

soverysorry
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 11:25 am 

I never listened to SFU before but this thread made me "discover" Graveyard Classics II. HAHAHAHA what the fuck am I actually listening to

Bingewolf
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 11:49 am 

SFU is awful... There’s not one album in their discography that I would even label decent. And to the first reply, you are 100% correct. With this being Barnes and other respected DM guys - when all were putting out great records - it’s strange that they never put out a single good record.

Also, Chris Barnes is known to be a bit of a douche... And it isn’t tolerable to be a douche AND put out shit records. :lol:

That said, all respect for his contributions to CC. His CC albums remain my favorites from the band overall.

Runko
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 12:37 pm 

I can only speak for myself: I hate them because they're basic in the worst possible definition of the word and overall fucking boring.

And Chris Barnes sounds like shit. Like literally shit coming out of a sphincter, the burning runny kind after a long night out.

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 12:46 pm 

Do they really get hate? I think most people just kinda shrug at the mention of their name. It's universally agreed that they suck incredibly hard but I find it hard to picture somebody actually sitting down and listening to full Six Feet Under albums for any reason.

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

true_death
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 1:02 pm 

Bingewolf wrote:
Also, Chris Barnes is known to be a bit of a douche... And it isn’t tolerable to be a douche AND put out shit records. :lol:

Yeah, the way he talks down to his fans on social media and did you ever hear about the situation that led Terry Butler & Greg Gall to finally leave the band? Fucking crazy shit, right there!

Oxenkiller
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 2:39 pm 

I can only speak for myself as to why I like or dislike a particular band, everyone's tastes are different.

As far as Six Feet Under, my views are the same as Runko's- I just find them boring. That doesnt mean I hate them, though. But I dont really like them either if you get my drift- they do absolutely nothing for me. Just boring, basic music with some washed up aging death metal dude on vocals whose best and most creative years are behind him.

MrMcThrasher II
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 2:48 pm 

I mean I liked Death Rituals and Unborn but I went pretend they're really spectacular. That's part of the issue too: they aren't important to Death Metal's history but they don't make good records either.

TheDefiniteArticle wrote:
Also hopefully they take it as a sign they're not meant to make more albums.

LycanthropeMoon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 3:02 pm 

Chris Barnes' vocals took a noticeable downturn when compared to the first four CC albums, and the songwriting's excruciatingly dull. I'd rather just listen to Entombed's Wolverine Blues for death 'n roll type stuff - they were significantly better at it. I remember hearing SFU's "The Day the Dead Walked" and thinking of it as unintentionally funny.

g_k
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 3:11 pm 

they are basically the epitome of mediocrity. there are so many other bands worth listening to than choosing to listen to SFU.

Runko
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 4:42 pm 

Also their albums are always horribly produced and do them no favors. They always sound so dry and flat and muffled, like they forgot to master it or something. And with someone as shitty as Barnes you really want to bury that motherfucker deep in the mix, but for some reason he's always three times louder than the guitars.

ViF
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 4:48 pm 

my first ever taste of death metal was from the album haunted, i remember "beneath the black sky" and "remains of you" really stood out to me but as the years and albums went by i quickly lost interest in them. i found they was more on the generic side of things and that screechy rasp scream really annoyed me. i still enjoy listening to the very few selected songs by them. i don't hate SFU nor like them,i just know they exsist.

i see SFU as a good starter band to newcomers for death metal. not brutal/fast, words easily can be heard and so on.

around my neck of the woods, metalheads ( very few exists ) it's almost a law to hate barnes for leaving CC and consider fisher as a fill in/replacement or some stupid shit like that.
you are already gods, without earthly desires. but one thing you want to know is that your own crash-dive is not in vain. regrettably, we will not be able to tell you the results. but i shall watch your efforts to the end and report your deeds to the throne

idunnosomename
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 5:42 pm 

Who really likes them though? It's not like they got any Marilyn Manson or Fear Factory-like mainstream MTV success. I just wonder how they keep going when metalheads largely hate them and more mainstream music consumers will just think they are noisy nonsense.

aaronmb666
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 6:00 pm 

I lost a lot of interest in them and looking back, Haunted is just a generic Obituary album. He also sounded like a prick on the Centuries of Torment dvd when talking about being out of CC. If he wasn't booted out, I think Vile wouldve been his last album, as his voice was shot by then.

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 6:55 pm 

SFU has been the punching bag of metal for the past 20 years. Wasted potential is one thing, bog standard death metal is another. Barnes failed to make anything of note in SFU's entire existence. He's been working practically non-stop on the laziest, minimum-effort music he can get away with.

Also, let's not forget about this.

Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

~Guest 226319
President Satan

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 7:42 pm 

People are mad at Six Feet Under because they keep pushing back the release of "Graveyard Christmas".

HeavenDuff
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 8:00 pm 

PDS wrote:
I'll bite. I have a morbid curiosity with SFU anyways.

Basically it is because the band had big names, and consistently was a shit teir B-ranked death metal band with horrible albums. That is the general consensus, like they still have their fans and all, but I think in general, people think that the band is mediocre at best.

Like, to start out, SFU was Barnes, hot out of CC with four fantastic dm albums notched on his belt. Joining with him was a former bassist of Death and Massacre (Spiritual Healing and From Beyond albums) and the lead guitarist of Obituary (Slowly We Rot, The End Complete). Just looking at that, and how the 90's were for DM, that is a hot ticket....and the albums sucked.

Then line-up shifts and then Graveyard Classes ('nuff said) and more albums. Everything sucked. I would call the mid-late 2000s albums better than their early output but those albums are still mediocre. I think a lot of the hate is the fact that all of these albums range from mediocre-horrible and the connection between Barnes and his CC work, even though he only did the vocals and lyrics. But even then, that is enough.

This post sums it all up.

If the music was just average or mediocre groove/death metal played by unknown musicians, than nobody would care. But the thing is that SFU was kind of a supergroup, that should have been destined for greatest. You have three musicians who just released massively influential and badass records who never managed to release anything else than boring uninspired groovy death metal.

Even nowadays, metalheads who know what to expect out of this can't seem to talk about SFU without mentioning Cannibal Corpse and Chris Barnes. He is bound to be judged for anything he releases based on the quality of his previous band. This is often the case for vocalists who decide they want to have solo projects outside of the band that helped them get success. Most of the time, these vocalists end up failing badly or just releasing music that is subpar to what they released with their original band. I'm thinking about Russell Allen (Symphony X) here, but also about Karl Willetts (Bolt Thrower) or Warrel Dane (Nevermore).

I think the fact that SFU is kind of popular also has an impact on how most metalheads react to them. They are not just a mediocre band, they are a mediocre band with a following and they actually get signed to play otherwise great festivals and gigs.

Bingewolf
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 8:01 pm 

true_death wrote:
Bingewolf wrote:
Also, Chris Barnes is known to be a bit of a douche... And it isn’t tolerable to be a douche AND put out shit records.

Yeah, the way he talks down to his fans on social media and did you ever hear about the situation that led Terry Butler & Greg Gall to finally leave the band? Fucking crazy shit, right there!

No, I've never heard the story actually. I just remember Terry's statement not sounding like it was anything major. You should share it! Maybe it will shed more light on why people don't like Barnes...

But yeah, he's very condescending to his own fans and that's ludicrous considering people SHOULD have stopped listening to him years ago. Always came across as one of those guys that bought his own hype and it's somehow our faults that we miss the genius of SFU. :lol:

~Guest 417309
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 8:31 pm 

SFU is one of those weird instances where I see a lot of hate for them online, but actually personally know a ton of people that love this band. I think they're fun as hell and catchy, personally, not my favorite but great party metal. Not ashamed to say I still spin the fuck out of Maximum Violence, Warpath and Bringer of Blood.

true_death
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 8:46 pm 

Bingewolf wrote:
No, I've never heard the story actually. I just remember Terry's statement not sounding like it was anything major. You should share it! Maybe it will shed more light on why people don't like Barnes...

According to Terry, there was an incident where Six Feet Under were scheduled to headline a benefit show for Curtis Beeson of Nasty Savage (who just had a brain tumor removed) to help pay his medical bills, and Barnes cancelled the entire event a week before, explaining that he "didn't want to play the show" because he "had something better to do" that weekend.

HeavenDuff
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 8:49 pm 

nekrosonic wrote:
SFU is one of those weird instances where I see a lot of hate for them online, but actually personally know a ton of people that love this band.

Yeah, sometimes the Internet has this effect of giving out a very dichotomic understanding of fanbases of bands and genres. But when you go to festivals, you typically come across people who do not fit in a sterotypical fan category. For instance, I saw a guy with a battlevest with patches of bands like Emperor, Mayhem and Venom on it enjoying himself quite a bit during Trivium's set at the last Heavy Montreal. The set was pretty boring though.

However, I personaly have never really met anyone who really likes SFU. The typical reactions range from profound disdain to mild appreciation of their music. I never met a real diehard fan of SFU. But they apparently exist...

Flem Clone
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 12:46 am 

They play a watered down, groove metal influenced style of death metal, and they play it badly.

Chris Barnes sounds like shit.

They released those embarrassing Graveyard Classics cover albums.

They have a bit of a marketing budget behind them, so you keep hearing about them over the years even though they suck.

Metal_On_The_Ascendant
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 3:24 am 

SFU should STFU

HaPoStaPu
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 5:47 am 

I own Commandment. Fun stuff. That's all I need from this lot though as far as I've heard their other albums.

Gunslinger21
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 5:53 am 

I would put it down to under performance. Those guys have tons of potential, and have spent it playing B grade, uninspired stuff like True Carnage. God I can't stand that album.

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 6:18 am 

I spend a lot of time trawling around r/askreddit just because there's usually a lot of comedy gold or really terrifying/heartwarming stories depending on the question (plus it's an opportunity to talk about myself and y'all know how much I love that), and one of my absolute least favorite things about the subreddit is people who ask loaded questions that they will obviously never get a satisfactory answer for, usually as a thin smokescreen for smug condescension or indignant whining. Adding the Serious tag to the question will not help, because sometimes the answer is something universal and obvious and there's no reason to ever ask.

The universal and obvious reason why so many people hate Six Feet Under is because they suck. That's it. They suck now, they sucked when they started, and they sucked in the middle. They have a billion albums that all sound the same with low effort non-riffs with no groove and some of the worst death metal vocals ever recorded, which is extra stunning/disappointing because they come from one of the guys who helped codify the style in the first place. Not to mention Barnes is a well known douchebag who is prone to temper tantrums so if you're the type who has trouble separating the art from the artist there's another hurdle towards liking them. The covers albums are universally hated and the fact that they've put out four of them at this point tells me that either Barnes is well aware of how much they're loathed and does it as a joke, or he's seriously so out of touch that he thinks people still want to hear his awful roar-grunts over slow AC/DC covers in the wrong key. They are awful and always have been. End of.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

Napalm_Satan
Ever-Opening Flower

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 6:28 am 

It really is just what BH said... people think their music is dreadful for one or more of the reasons he stated. That last covers album they did was the worst metal album of 2016, hands down. Nearly all of their albums are boring at best and abysmal at worst, they have very little worth musically.

In fairness however... Haunted is slightly above average (Lycanthropy is catchy as hell) and Undead is good.

Freeballin
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 7:23 am 

No fans of death metal hate Six Feet Under, it’s literaly just fans of like Lady Gaga ‘n shit and since she has like a billion fans that like her and hate death metal in general but are only aware of said genre’s biggest names it SEEMS like SFU gets a lot of hate.

They get a lot of hate from people who’s opinion you wouldn’t want on ANYTHING let alone music.

schizoid
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 7:39 am 

Freeballin wrote:
No fans of death metal hate Six Feet Under, it’s literaly just fans of like Lady Gaga ‘n shit and since she has like a billion fans that like her and hate death metal in general but are only aware of said genre’s biggest names it SEEMS like SFU gets a lot of hate.

They get a lot of hate from people who’s opinion you wouldn’t want on ANYTHING let alone music.

"Fans of like Lady Gaga ‘n shit" haven't even heard of Six Feet Under. The reasons people hate them have already been well outlined in this thread.

Lord_Jotun
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 9:26 am 

Runko wrote:
And Chris Barnes sounds like shit. Like literally shit coming out of a sphincter, the burning runny kind after a long night out.

OzzyApu wrote:
Also, let's not forget about this.

The above posts got a few genuine laughs out of me, so I guess I could give SFU credit for that.

true_death wrote:
According to Terry, there was an incident where Six Feet Under were scheduled to headline a benefit show for Curtis Beeson of Nasty Savage (who just had a brain tumor removed) to help pay his medical bills, and Barnes cancelled the entire event a week before, explaining that he "didn't want to play the show" because he "had something better to do" that weekend.

On the other hand, this was pretty awful to read, so on second thought: nay, fuck 'em.
Orgiastic Pleasures
Rust
Black Druid Hymns - my projects on YouTube

tomcat_ha
Minister of Boiling Water

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 9:30 am 

when people say metal archives is elitist for whatever reason i always mention that SFU is on it and that they are worse than p much everything out there.

To me SFU is like if Thrash Queen made a long lasting career as a death metal band. Nothing redeeming and due to sheer mass of putrid worthlessness the comedic appeal is long gone too.

Reply to topic Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next