Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
idunnosomename
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 2:44 pm 

Well to get back on topic, I was thinking if there were any bands that do have homosexual themes. It is a great irony, as has been said, so much of metal's hyper-masculine image is based on Rob Halford co-opting European (mainly German, Berlin) leather fetish club fashion. But then is lyrics are either gender neutral or extremely coded via innuendos.

I also think post glam metal backed off sex songs. Priest never do them now. In this sense there isn't much to subvert. They are a bit embarrassing.

Regardless metal is a lot more accepting of difference than say, sports. Still hardly any openly gay players in English premier league.

MrMcThrasher II
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 3:21 pm 

There's nothing "extremely coded" about Halford singing Jawbreaker.

TheDefiniteArticle wrote:
Also hopefully they take it as a sign they're not meant to make more albums.

lost_wanderer
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 3:26 pm 

I just found this old topic on lgbt metal https://www.metal-archives.com/board/viewtopic.php?p=1765116

Youtube: show

If you watch the videoclip Judas Priest made for Hot Rockin', you can easily interpret it in a homo-erotic way.

"I felt a great disturbance in the Force, as if millions of screamo bands suddenly cried out in terror, and were suddenly silenced."

idunnosomename
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 4:11 pm 

MrMcThrasher II wrote:

Oh come on, if someone hadn't told you it was about sucking an enormous dick, you'd think it was about a heavy metal monster like the Metallian on the cover.

I think actually Rob has given different accounts to what it's about: apparently he said it was about dick-sucking to a gay magazine after he left Priest but later said that was a joke. A lot of it doesn't make sense for oral sex on a penis - in fact most of it is essentially personifying pent-up nondescript frustration into a character "the jawbreaker". Like a lot of his lyrics, it's open to interpretation, but has that metal spirit of defiance and individuality. I think it's probably inspired by standing by his sexuality rather than just simply a metaphor for sexual act.

It's a fucking amazing song, brilliant solo, and I love the layers of meaning too.

Last edited by idunnosomename on Sat Aug 04, 2018 4:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rexxz
Where's your band?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 4:12 pm 

lost_wanderer wrote:
I just found this old topic on lgbt metal https://www.metal-archives.com/board/viewtopic.php?p=1765116

Classic droneriot.

droneriot wrote:
The closest I can think of is Iskra having an anti-homophobia song, which is pretty much why I stopped listening to them. Here are the lyrics, the song is called "Acceptance not Tolerance"

raumr
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 4:59 pm 

Hehe, also a classic "thread goes off the rails". :D

Other than the racism topic (which is getting a bit boring to me at this point) I think this thread is a great read. I apprecaite the few LGBT people sharing their experiences, which seem mostly positive.

idunnosomename
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 5:54 pm 

Yeah I feel bad for taking the bait and continuing the racism thread inside this one when its about a very different issue. But I think, at least, it shows how fringe truly hateful metal bands are. I love going to metal shows because there are such good vibes in and around the pit where people help anyone up if they go under. Even if the lyrics are about fucking corpses or whatever, there's no judgment how you look or behave. If you love the music you're more than welcome to join in.

Wilytank
Not a Flying Toy

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 6:22 pm 

lost_wanderer wrote:
Does anyone knows metal songs alluding to lgbt topics, be it from a negative or a positive perspective? Just to see if there's any evolution in songs over the time.

Going back to at least 1992, Brutal Truth addresses this directly with their song "Anti-Homophobe" on their awesome debut album Extreme Conditions Demand Extreme Responses.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UOwHpyqUxUw

Is that unusual? Do your cousin's peanut butter sandwiches typically contain broken glass?

Last.fm

Oblarg
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 7:12 pm 

The music video for Bomber's Come Tomorrow is pretty gay, come to think of it:

(check around the 2:15 mark)

MrMcThrasher II
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 8:27 pm 

idunnosomename wrote:
MrMcThrasher II wrote:

Oh come on, if someone hadn't told you it was about sucking an enormous dick, you'd think it was about a heavy metal monster like the Metallian on the cover.

Uh, did we read the same lyrics?

TheDefiniteArticle wrote:
Also hopefully they take it as a sign they're not meant to make more albums.

asphaalanx
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 3:10 am 

booK_of_blood wrote:
A bit off topic, but in case someone has somehow forgotten what a filthy, filthy band are Arghoslent, here's a reminder, and deduce from that to their views of anyone who's not 'Like Them':

Spoiler: show
Herded into ghettos, loathsome streams of insects
Cordon off the sewage, quarantine the Judah
Gestapo street-cleaner bulldoze sons of Zion
Hovels and shanties, cages for the rats of David

Gestapo boot stomping, strong-armed fungus purge
Teutonic sledge is law, propaganda chokehold
Ghettos funnel swill into disposal camps
Flush away the flotsam, excise the swarthy blemish

Rats in the well pollute the drinking water
Hebrew-rodents, Fodder for the Shoah

Boxcars of Semitic detritus
Gypsies and faggots ankle deep in feces
Barefoot siblings cry, urine soaked tattered frocks
Pregnant women retch, sweating and swooning
Wrinkled old men choking on stale air
Decomposing kin that expired between depots
Rats and beetles carry away sour morsels
Disintegration of the bubonic family unit

Undesirables and threats to the Reich
Sodomites, felons, and usurer kikes (usurer = usurper?)
Fodder for the Shoah

Laboring worms, stained industrial beetles
Factory larvae, slaves, emaciated mosquitoes
Fodder for the Shoah

Putrescent bog, decaying synagogue sludge
Judaic throng, inhumed beneath the rank mud
Fodder for the Shoah

Iron wheels thunder into the train yard
Cockroaches shoveled out of freight cars
Cold and imposing tuberculosis-blighted barracks
Crematory towers expel carbonized smog
Militant throngs in pressed uniforms
Barking orders, belting stragglers
Incise and drain the societal boils
Enforce the Nuremburg laws

Running through the mud in rotting shoes
Families wrenched apart, the fodder cues
Exhaustion plagues the limbs
To collapse carries a Luger casing
Small ones to the furnace
Old bodies to the bulldozer

P.S. But apparently, scalping of whites by the Native Americans is vulgar and inhumane...go figure...(from their track: Converts at the tents of grace.)

Just a comment on the lyrics, was that you that added 'usurper' in brackets?
Usury is a word that describes the practice of lending money at unreasonably high interest rates, a stereotype that is often thrown at the Jewish people. Unsurprising, coming from Arghoslent.

MutantClannfear
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 1:30 pm 

asphaalanx wrote:

Yeah, that's not in the original lyrics.

Metalion_SOS
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 1:59 am 

I have nothing really to add except that there's now a book on this very subject: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/04157 ... PDKIKX0DER

Aooga
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 2:38 am 

idunnosomename wrote:
MrMcThrasher II wrote:

Eat Me Alive is a better example. "You give and I collect", "Rod of steel injects". I mean come on.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 2:48 am 

(I don't think there was ever any doubt that Arghoslent was extremely, extremely racist. Like, there is no nuance, uncertainty, or debate here, so let us all drop this derail, please.)

Back on topic, yes, I don't think the homo-eroticism of Jawbreaker and Eat Me Alive was ever in question either. :D

As for the concept of toxic masculinity... it's not rocket science, really. The concept isn't saying that masculinity itself is toxic, it's only referring to a specific brand of it that is. It's like, if you refer to a toxic dose of painkillers, you're not saying that "all painkillers are inherently poison". (OK, that analogy needs work I think... but hopefully that gets the message across. Assuming good faith from anyone reading this, of course...)

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 8:33 am 

The song Offense off Lich King's most recent album is definitely about LGTB rights. The first couple verses are pretty standard political fare but the bridge's tone makes the intent pretty blatant.

Offense
You take offense
That we’re not staying hidden like mice
Expense
At great expense
The proud are seen and pay the price

Offense
I take offense
To suicides, beatings and rantings of priests

Commence
So let’s commence
Cause you can’t live among us in peace

RichardDeBenthall
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 10:50 am 

From my own experiences in the UK heavy metal scene I can see that I've honestly never encountered anyone who has expressed genuine hatred towards LGBT people. My dad and his mates are all massive metal fans (NWOBHM era) and they are very often casually homophobic but it's all show, they know and are friends with loads of gay people.

You're much more likely to encounter casual racism in the UK heavy metal scene and that is nothing to do with the genre, more the prevailing attitudes of our current political climate i.e. Brexit etc.

traxan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 11:26 am 

The metal community never ceases to confound me. One minute they are all cool about something (when Rob Halford came out 20 years ago, the reaction was "So what? We've known for 15 years.") the next minute they are homophobic pricks. When Metal Sucks ran that article last month about GayC/DC, the gay AC/DC tribute band that changed around the words to their songs ("Let There Be Cock," etc), I laughed my ass off, but the reactions to it were really childish.

So I never know what to expect.

rexxz
Where's your band?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 11:53 am 

"The metal community" isn't a thing that you can just talk about like that, I would say. What you have now instead are hundreds of fragmented communities based around websites or usergroups, each with their own cultures. Who exactly are you referring to when you say "they"? It's not like the actions of a few represent the many.

Wilytank
Not a Flying Toy

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 3:05 pm 

MrMcThrasher II wrote:
idunnosomename wrote:

Uh, did we read the same lyrics?

Revelation: you’re both right and the song is about the metallian’s giant steel penis.

Is that unusual? Do your cousin's peanut butter sandwiches typically contain broken glass?

Last.fm

Nhor
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 4:25 pm 

Just doesn't seem very metal to me

idunnosomename
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 4:41 pm 

What is to say Eat Me Alive isn't the male speaker forcing himself on a female? The spread-eagle position could be either way.

I don't deny there's a lot of homoeroticsm in Halford's lyrics, but in Priest he did like to keep a little a bit of ambiguity in the genders. Before The Dawn is a good example: one character gets the unequivocal "him" pronoun but the other is left ambiguous. But he drew a lot of attention to male genitals in something like Eat Me Alive, I agree, but I'm sure Tipper Gore objected to it because she thought it was about forcing oral sex on a woman at gunpoint, not because it was about male/male BDSM. "The engine ROARS between my thighs" is my favourite Halford gay innuendo, though.

It is strange how he completely dumped it on Painkiller though. Apart from A Touch of Evil which is a bit kinky, there's nothing sexual. It's all hyper-masculine atomic blasting kill patrol hokum.

tomcat_ha
Minister of Boiling Water

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 4:43 pm 

im pretty sure that people who post homophobic replies to gayc/dc are the only ones who bother replying. I also am pretty sure that 90% of the ad revenue of metalsucks comes from trying to kick as many anthills as possible.

In my experience sexuality gets mostly ignored to the point i dont know many who are homosexual in the scene. There is a very strong tendency in the metal community to just go your own way in the left hand path tradition. So people keep it to themselves and dont talk about it much. Metal bands also often dont want to write lyrics about it. I also noticed a disconnect online, the people who are homophobic most often online tend to be from the US. The european metal scene ofc always has been more left just like europe in general has been more left.

Also I wonder something else. My best friend is gay and he has been insulted by people in the gay community for liking bands like Nightwish and Epica. I've noticed before that the gay community can be very closed minded and racist and I wonder if anybody else has experienced something like this?

lost_wanderer
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 5:15 pm 

People in countries like Russia tend to be more homophobic in general than in western Europe.

I have heard that some gays tend to dislike trans women. I am a trans woman and I never had a problem with them. It surely depends on where you live.

I don't know how people in the metal communities react to lgbt in general because I was in the closet when I was more involved in that the scene. But I think people are more open now than ten years ago.

"I felt a great disturbance in the Force, as if millions of screamo bands suddenly cried out in terror, and were suddenly silenced."

raumr
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 5:20 pm 

tomcat_ha wrote:
Also I wonder something else. My best friend is gay and he has been insulted by people in the gay community for liking bands like Nightwish and Epica. I've noticed before that the gay community can be very closed minded and racist and I wonder if anybody else has experienced something like this?

LGBT communities, like any, probably fall prey to us/them mentalities. If metal is perceived to be "hetero music", then maybe LGBT people who enjoy it are looked upon as "traitors to the cause" or something. Maybe comparable to some radical feminist getting shit from her own movement for wanting a traditional marriage. I'm just speculating here.

Opus
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 6:25 pm 

idunnosomename wrote:
"The engine ROARS between my thighs" is my favourite Halford gay innuendo, though.

What's gay about this?

LycanthropeMoon
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 12:57 am 

raumr wrote:
tomcat_ha wrote:

LGBT communities, like any, probably fall prey to us/them mentalities. If metal is perceived to be "hetero music", then maybe LGBT people who enjoy it are looked upon as "traitors to the cause" or something. Maybe comparable to some radical feminist getting shit from her own movement for wanting a traditional marriage. I'm just speculating here.

Again, that guy's video comparing finding another gay guy that likes metal to finding a live unicorn was kind of correct. There aren't a lot of LGBT folk that are into metal, and some are openly hostile toward it. It's kind of disappointing, and when it comes to Nightwish and Epica, I've found that the fanbase that tends to listen to them and bands like them is the absolute friendliest toward LGBT people. Or at least, it was, back when homophobia was more prevalent on the extreme side of things (things are thankfully more balanced out now). That's probably the reason I have a soft spot for symphonic/power metal - that, and Nightwish were my gateway metal band. Whoops!

RakdosWarlord
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 2:17 am 

Opus wrote:
idunnosomename wrote:
"The engine ROARS between my thighs" is my favourite Halford gay innuendo, though.

What's gay about this?

Maybe its about hooking up with Optimus Prime?

HaPoStaPu
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 7:13 am 

Oblarg wrote:
HaPoStaPu wrote:
Judas Priest was one of the most beloved bands in metal, Halford enjoyed lots of cock, nobody cares. And if someone cares, well, that's up to them. As long as they don't throw wet vaginas at Halford or worse, it's not really a problem. You can't expect everybody to approve of the same things, you can't force them to like you/something. It's where this whole racism things goes wrong as well, I'd say. People never ever got on with each other, they never will. Bunch of monkeys.

You can't expect everyone to not be shitty, but you can and should expect them to keep their shittiness to themselves, and set up social feedback mechanisms (e.g. ostracism) to provide incentives for them to do so.

You can expect good behaviour but unfortunately there are a lot of awful people out there. They're possible the majority as well. And I don't mean this in the way of their political/social views but more in terms of character. There are issues and bad attitudes in the LGBT community as well. Just because someone is tolerant/intolerant re certain issues doesn't necessarily make them a superb/bad human being as a whole. Just one rather harmless and somewhat funny example, I used to have rather friendly relations with a curious, nice looking lesbian some years ago but it was a massive secret as all her more hardcore lesbian friends would be extremely intolerant if they knew that she committed the major crime, in that scene, of enjoying a bit of fun with a penis. People are just people. I also found major overlap in character when it comes to extremer ends of politics, but that's another topic.

As for LGBT, probably depends a lot on where you live and which communities you deal with. Generally it's probably fair to say that the West is one of, if not the, the most accepting area on this planet and it has, as far as I can recall, never been much been a topic in metal lyrics (unlike say in dancehall reggae). That metalheads generally aren't too much into desert religions might be part of it as well.

Metal_On_The_Ascendant
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 1:25 pm 

lost_wanderer wrote:
Does anyone knows metal songs alluding to lgbt topics, be it from a negative or a positive perspective? Just to see if there's any evolution in songs over the time.

Beyond Type O Negative's lesbian leaning cover photo on Bloody Kisses, there's also the song "My Girlfriend's Girlfriend" off October Rust.

There's also "I Like Goils" off Life Is Killing Me which Peter Steele wrote as a response to the unwanted attention he'd received from men following his Playgirl nude spread.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iBnJ1q59kJU
Forget the jar of Vaseline
Hey rich-bitch boy I'm not gonna be your queen
And yeah,
You can drool, beg me and hope
There's no damn way I'm playing drop the soap
OK,
I know I'm strange but I ain't no queer
So take your rage and disappear
But I'm proud not to be PC
'Cause I like goils
Bad goils all over this world

and so on....

Ronnie James Dio did mention in an interview that one of the subjects in "Invisible" was a gay man. The lyrics seem to suggest a transgender youth.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wSQ2_8HvMaw

Jag Panzer's Dissident Alliance is not just their worst album musically, it is also a garbled mess lyrically. I still don't completely understand what "Forsaken Child" is supposed to be about for instance. "Psycho Next Door" contains the lines;

"Down on the bayou over toward the lily
Sits a homosexual frog looking rather silly"

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 1:35 pm 

Metal_On_The_Ascendant wrote:
"Down on the bayou over toward the lily
Sits a homosexual frog looking rather silly"

Alex Jonesing intensifies

idunnosomename
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 4:51 pm 

Opus wrote:
idunnosomename wrote:

What's gay about this?

Well precisely, there's nothing explicitly homosexual about Desert Plains, like just about every Priest song about relationships. It's just that the (assumedly, given the gender of the actual singer) male narrator draws attention to his genitals as being interchangeable with his motorbike engine, but the gender of the person he is rendezvousing with in the titular plains is left entirely ambiguous.

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 1:47 pm 

Halford's getting some road wood before going out to the desert to fuck some dude. It's hot. Was it the thing that Halford wrote all the lyrics for Priest back in the day?

Uncolored wrote:
non 80's wodos members are enemies of teutonic beatles hairstyle thrash

Bingewolf
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 11:47 pm 

Lol - I remember when I heard about Pete Steele being in Playgirl and my first thought was "wow, the ladies must love Pete Steele..." Only partially true, I would later learn. :lol:

I've lived in a lot of places around the US and been lucky enough to travel abroad enough to see that there are scenes with plenty of LGBTQ+ activity and there are scenes where that's still very much taboo. Especially in the black metal and punk/hardcore scenes, it's not uncommon to come across prejudice scum. LA is a really progressive city, overall, but I have seen a lot of this in the black metal scene in LA.

Similarly, earlier this year, I remember a story about Life of Agony having to cancel a show because a right-wing crazy person threatened to attack the venue. It's definitely gotten better over the last 10 years but it's still out there, unfortunately.

I came here to mention Feminazgul but someone already posted on the band.

And, obviously, Rob Halford is a gay icon AND an icon to all who love metal!

booK_of_blood
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 1:28 am 

MutantClannfear wrote:
asphaalanx wrote:

Yeah, that's not in the original lyrics.

My bad, sorry...I was use it was a typing error...

Lagartija
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 1:05 pm 

I can't really think of any examples except Brutal Truth's 'Anti-homophobe'. I think more lyrics of this nature would be very interesting and would go a long way to continue to destroy prejudice.
Also, how about an openly LGBT metal band, such as punk's Limp Wrist? I think it's strange that it wasn't created years ago.

DoomMetalAlchemist
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 1:12 pm 

Lagartija wrote:
Also, how about an openly LGBT metal band, such as punk's Limp Wrist? I think it's strange that it wasn't created years ago.

I don't know how metal they are or aren't, but "supposedly" there's an openly gay metal band called Pink Steel. I probably first heard about them about a decade ago.

pale_horse
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 8:09 am 

So it seems like the posts here are pretty universally positive on LGBT, unless I missed something. That is nice to see. Now, what results would we get if we posted this on the NWN forum?

Derigin
The Mountain Man

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 10:19 am 

Please let's not compare with how other online communities handle this topic...

...Though that does tie into the general gist I'm seeing in this thread. There's a mix of people giving anecdotal evidence, one way or another, based on their own or observed experiences with LGBT in their local communities. Likewise, there's also an emphasis on the notion of "metalheads as a whole" being a fallacy, and how varied individual communities/scenes/persons perceive and handle LGBT issues within their immediate social environment. So, in summation, I don't think OP is going to get an answer to whether "metal generally speaking has changed its views about the LGBT community." Instead, I think he'll find that at least here, in this online environment, views do tend to be universally positive, but that those views are not universal to metalheads as a whole. Not a particularly revolutionary conclusion to make - the same could be true for any social phenomenon - but one which I hope satisfies the OP's interest in this topic.

EDIT: It was a bit of 'fresh air' to see this thread not immediately turn into a dumpster fire. Also nice to see people sharing bands with one another.

R.I.P. Diamhea 1987-2018
Live young, die free. Gone, but not forgotten.

Required Fields
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 10:34 am 

Morrigan wrote:
rexxz wrote:
There are *plenty* of thrash metal songs about Nazis doing horrible shit. Ever wonder why no one calls them racist?

Yup. I mean, Angel of Death is a classic example.

And it was not a pro-Holocaust song by any stretch of the imagination.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next