Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
soverysorry
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 2:03 am 

That intro track is woeful, wtf Nergal. I like the rest of it though, it's a quality album. I don't think it will supplant any in my top 3 but it's good and it's refreshing, nice to see Nergal keep things interesting. It's definitely a new era for Behemoth. Speaking eras it's fascinating tracking their development as a band. I would categorise them as follows.

Era I - Sventevith, Grom (pure black metal). Era II - Pandaemonic Incantations, Satanica, Thelema.6 (blackened death metal). Era III - Zos Kia Cultus, Demigod, The Apostasy, Evangelion (black/death metal). Era IV - The Satanist, I Loved You At Your Darkest (melodic black/death metal).

That said it's hard to hear death metal in their last 2 albums, the black metal is much stronger with these two. With no signs of Behemoth slowing down anytime soon there may yet be more growth to Behemoth's sound. I would love to hear them try a pure black metal album again, with today's production qualities and Nergal's infinitely more mature songwriting than his early albums.

lordcatfish
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 3:23 am 

Had it for a few weeks now. It's pretty good but I feel some of the songs aren't developed enough and could do with being a little longer.

Oddeye
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 3:49 am 

I've also had it for a couple weeks and I really like the album. I'm actually glad they didn't make The Satanist pt 2 cause that would have been impossible. It's a grower for sure.

blackmantram
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 9:54 am 

soverysorry wrote:
Era II - Pandaemonic Incantations, Satanica, Thelema.6 (blackened death metal). Era III - Zos Kia Cultus, Demigod, The Apostasy, Evangelion (black/death metal)

Isn't black/death metal and blackened death metal (and death/black metal and deathened black metal :-P ) pretty much the same thing? I thought people used those terms interchangeably.

The intro is the same kid's chorus on God = Dog, it seems they were so proud of it they decided to put it twice in the record.
Nice album overall, I wasn't expecting to enjoy it at all but I did. Really liked the drum work.

Runko
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 10:13 am 

The decision to not try to repeat and improve on The Satanist but rather do something different was definitely the right move. I need more time with it, but so far so good.

~Guest 389043
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 10:33 am 

2nd listen and it is fine.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 11:26 am 

blackmantram wrote:
soverysorry wrote:
Era II - Pandaemonic Incantations, Satanica, Thelema.6 (blackened death metal). Era III - Zos Kia Cultus, Demigod, The Apostasy, Evangelion (black/death metal)

Isn't black/death metal and blackened death metal (and death/black metal and deathened black metal :-P ) pretty much the same thing? I thought people used those terms interchangeably.

The first three albums listed still have a very heavy black metal influence running through them, while the latter three are way more on the side of death metal, with honestly minimal black metal elements at all, especially on The Apostasy.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

Bingewolf
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 11:42 am 

Two listens in and I really like the record. This one actually appeals to me more than ‘The Satanist’ (which I really enjoyed)... There are more black metal elements on this one and, dare I say, gothic elements as well.

I don’t have the same problem with the intro as it seems the majority of people do... but, definitely another great Behemoth album!

praey
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 5:59 pm 

Gave it a listen earlier today. It's not a bad album at all, which kind of surprised me considering I wasn't very enthusiastic about the singles. I don't know if "God=Dog" has grown on me or it just works better in the context of the album, but it definitely seemed to be one of the better songs here. That said I agree that there seems to be too many songs and not really a whole lot of standout moments on first listen. That said front to back it's a good listen and stylistically it's a refreshing step forward for the band. I doubt it's going to be many people's favorite Behemoth album, but it's far from their worst one either.

hallowed78
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 4:27 am 

Sabbath Mater is a great song, could be the best on the album. Thankfully, this album isn't Satanist part deux.

LycanthropeMoon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 1:00 pm 

Wow, "Solve" really is a terrible fucking intro, isn't it? I can see why everyone seems to hate it. I'm digging the rest of this album, though! I think I like "The Satanist" a little better, but I guess I've gotta give it a few more listens before I know for sure. I'd say my favorite is "If Crucifixion Was Not Enough" at the moment.

motorsport
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 1:15 pm 

The solo at the end of Bartzabel sounds so familiar, but I can't put my finger on where.

CannibalCorpse
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 5:33 pm 

I'm at the end of my first listen and there are many things to like.

To me, this change of direction is very welcome. Not exactly difficult, since I'm a big fan of 80s Goth and melodic black metal so the near total departure from death metal doesn't hurt at all.

I have no problems with the children's choirs, but yeah, some of the songs are a little underdeveloped i.e. they sometimes end too quickly or feel almost cut-off.

Still, I'm latching onto this one more than onto "The Satanist" when it came out. Now let's see, if it sticks.

Adder's Fork - These Mountains Cast Great Shadows - NEW!
Adder's Fork + Dea Artio/In Dornen/Winter's Breath - A Gathering of Four - Split - NEW!
Adder's Fork - Website
Reviewer for Antichrist Magazine

k311250
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 7:08 pm 

Yeah, for whatever reason this has caught my attention more than The Satanist did. It's catchy and the fact that the songs flow with almost no interruption works quite well. I'm not as bothered by the children's choirs as I thought I would be. I also think it's great that there are almost no intros/outros/interludes. There may not be a lot of standout moments but I don't think there is filler either.

I don't think it's going to end in my top 20 albums of the year but I'm enjoying it.

Acidgobblin
Literally a puppy

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 2:27 am 

On my fourth listen or so, its grown on me immensely. Honestly, the utterly abysmal INTRO track really rubbed me up the wrong way initially, really coloured my perception of the ensuing music. This album is much much better without it. Gotta be up there with the worst intro's I know too- did Nergal think it edgy and evil to get kids yelling vaguely antichristian stuff? If it were sung in eerie unison, perhaps I'd like it but its tuneless yelling. Which is the fucking first thing the listener hears when chuking this album on. Insane decision.

Sounds quite a bit like the Satanist imo, similar use of melody and dissonance, thoug much lighter on the latter than the Satanist. I would love a bit more death metal, but they have a unique style regardless. I actually like the tracks being shorter and more of them, though it runs the risk of barrages of sameness overwhelming the listener. Doesn't really happen here.

I would say God=Dog is one of the lesser tracks on the album, really not sure why they lead with it. The opener, Wolves of Siberia, is much better.

Last edited by Acidgobblin on Mon Oct 08, 2018 3:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Runko
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 12:57 pm 

Acidgobblin wrote:
the utterly abysmal title track

?

HideYourHole
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 4:44 pm 

Runko wrote:
Acidgobblin wrote:
the utterly abysmal title track

?

Think he means the intro, not title. I agree it was pretty annoying.

Runko
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 6:01 pm 

Oh.

I didn't mind the intro, but I skip it every time like I do with all intros. Fuck that shit.

jdmunyon
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 6:19 pm 

After four listens, the album is certainly listenable and I do genuinely really like one song ("Bartzabel"), but overall I'm pretty underwhelmed. If anything, the album is just making me want to go and listen to almost all of Behemoth's back catalog. Give me "Thelema.6" or "Zos Kia Cultus" or "The Apostasy" any day. I have gained a greater appreciation for "The Satanist" though; the title track and "O Father O Satan O Sun" (which I always enjoyed in the past) further moving up on the Behemoth career highlight wheel. Even "Ben Sahar", the one track I've always said is boring and should have been left off the album, still feels more energetic than a decent portion of ILYAYD.

I'll give it a few more listens, but unless something changes, don't see myself purchasing the album (which would be a shame, as my Behemoth full-length discography would no longer be complete, but I liken it to Slayer and "Repentless" as well: why purchase a mediocre or boring album just to satisfy some arbitrary completionist mindset?).

Acidgobblin
Literally a puppy

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 3:08 am 

HideYourHole wrote:
Think he means the intro, not title. I agree it was pretty annoying.

Spot on, damn- that is almost literally the opposite of what I wanted to say.

Editing. :|

Yes, intro, I really do not like it. :\

~Guest 394415
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 10:40 am 

Last edited by ~Guest 394415 on Mon Feb 10, 2020 6:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
k311250
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 3:58 pm 

I've been thinking and this album reminds me a bit of Moonspell's Memorial and Night Eternal. It has a similar vibe of melodic death/black with some gothic and even postpunk influence.

~Guest 354281
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 4:31 am 

finally gave this one a listen and after a couple of spins i'm really not impressed

it's not bad but it doesn't seem like something that will get much play time either.

decent but forgettable would be my best description

InnesI
The Goat Fucker

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 12:35 pm 

Somar wrote:
finally gave this one a listen and after a couple of spins i'm really not impressed

it's not bad but it doesn't seem like something that will get much play time either.

decent but forgettable would be my best description

I have the same feeling but I can't quite understand why. This is an album I should like very much. When I go through the songs they are fine but there is something lacking. And I have no problem really with the song titles or the children's choir. I appreciate the fact that they didn't try to do The Satanist Part II, in that they have succeeded. The new album has its own feel for sure. But it just doesn't grab me.

I am a moody listener though so sometimes when I don't feel like listening to a certain type of music I just don't enjoy it but I can come around to it later. I'm pretty sure I will give this album multiple tries in the coming year but as of right now its just there for me. I still think their finest moment is Evangelion.
I've also been called a satanist, communist, right wing, nazi-apologist, conservative dipshit, muslim (lover), PC, feminist, neoliberal, boot licker, verbal masturbator and an eternal low-key fascist enabler! Please add your projection too.
Ad hominem

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:57 am 

I have given this a couple of listens now. I do quite like it and I think it's going to be a grower. There's a lot to unpack in this one, probably more than The Satanist, so in time I reckon this one will become quite good once I get more used to the songs. At the moment I am impressed with it and I like seeing Nergal and co. add more influences to their music. They're certainly much different now than they were when Evangelion was released, and it looks less and less likely that they will return to that sound any time soon.

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

CannibalCorpse
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 8:41 am 

I love the controversy around the album, just look at the reviews, ranging from "greatest thing ever" to "sellout Behemoth lite".

Well, I personally think it's quite interesting and unique in sound (even if a bit underdeveloped and jam-like at times) and all that while actually being part of the "Demigod"-era crushing DM/quadruple-layered Nergal vocals camp. Since I have a soft spot for 80s goth and post-punk, that's probably the reason why I find many things to like in ILYAYD.

I could do without all that retarded coffee/beer/diapers-merch bullshit, but to each his own. If it grants them more possibilities for future records, go ahead.

Adder's Fork - These Mountains Cast Great Shadows - NEW!
Adder's Fork + Dea Artio/In Dornen/Winter's Breath - A Gathering of Four - Split - NEW!
Adder's Fork - Website
Reviewer for Antichrist Magazine

PurpleDoom
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 12:52 am 

Listened a few times. Been going a bit back and forth with my feelings on it. I think the biggest thing holding it back is a mix of some songs being a little half-baked overall (I could do without "If Crucifixion Was Not Enough", namely) and the songs that had the most potential to be fantastic - Sabbath Mater and Havohej Pantocrator - are bogged down by some poor songwriting choices. We're left with a bunch of good songs but little in the way of greatness. I could see this being a transition record of sorts, and there are sounds here I'd love to hear them explore more; I just hope they nail down the execution next time around.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3