Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
kybernetic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 11:40 pm 

Making this thread to discuss younger metal singers (clean) within the heavy/power/speed/doom metal genres. To me when listening to any music that isn't predominately dominated by harsh vocals, the singer is often the most important dynamic for me to really enjoy the band and separate them from the rest of the pack. So I'm curious what people's favorite singers are of the last several years that have emerged fairly recently (within the last 10 years or so). They don't have to be necessarily young per say, but at least more recently emerged. On that note, I'll go ahead and discuss some singers that have been on my mind that fit this bill.

Brendan Radigan - This dude is just a heap of talent in multiple areas, from songwriting to playing instruments. However, his true talent is belting out huge and enormously powerful croons and emotional highs from his voice in Magic Circle. His range is above average and his power is intense and sustained. He is perhaps my favorite singer of the last several years and I can't get enough of his singing. He really takes Magic Circle to another level of greatness. It's interesting to see that he is now the live singer for Pagan Altar, and I think he'll fit in very well for them. His voice is a franchise in the making to me.

Jason Tarpey - There's something about this man's feathery tenor that is just so addicting and pleasurable to listen to. His range is probably average at best, but he knows how to utilize what range he does have to full effect. His singing is so naturally melodic and 'sweet' sounding, but yet still manages to be powerful and fit well with Eternal Champion's fantasy setting. He's a talent in other areas too, with his writing both lyrics and short stories (he wrote a quite good short story for Swords of Steel fantasy anthology, which was based on his song "The Summoner's Pit" on the Graven Rite demo). He's also a talented blacksmith. Just a really cool talented dude.

Jake Rogers - What can I say about this man? His voice is massive. His voice is heavy and it's powerful as hell. It has weight and balls and isn't the typical tenor range you'd normally be accustomed to in his heavy/power metal genre. He's definitely the highlight for me in Visigoth and I can't think of another singer right now that's as consistently powerful with his vibrato.

JB Cristoffersson - Perhaps not that new or young, but with the slowly evolved shift in Grand Magus's sound from traditional doom to a more uptempo heavy/power metal, his singing has similarly shifted into a more powerful vibrato laden style. His voice is a strong high baritone I'd estimate and uses a lot of vibrato like Jake Rogers, but perhaps not quite as prominently, and he'll occasionally give a high flying wail to show off his range. His singing is very good, powerful with above average range.

Those are a few of my favorites of recent years. Let's here some more!

true_death
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 1:25 am 

I always liked James-Paul Luna from Holy Grail (formerly from White Wizzard), I think he just has a really unique character to his voice that doesn't sound like anybody else, and he really stands out in the modern heavy/power metal scene.

Per Lengstedt (Portrait) is another one. Haters will say he's a King Diamond wannabe, but I think he's got a very unique and personal take on that style that manages to be both hateful/evil as well as sorrowful/melancholy, and ultimately feels a bit more "traditional" lacking any of Diamond's trademark mannerisms beyond the obvious mixture of deeper/gritty singing with falsetto. The sheer passion and emotion in his voice on their most recent album 'Burn the World' is really awe-inspiring, as if he's singing with the very core of his being.

DoomMetalAlchemist
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 3:21 am 

Jeremy Hannigan aka Revenant, formerly of the doom metal band Funeral Circle. I love his deep baritone. Too bad it seems he is no longer singing, and doesn't seem to commit to it as a profession or anything. He has a day job as a graphic designer, I guess he'd rather focus on that.

It's really too bad what happened to Funeral Circle. In 2013 they put out an awesome debut full length (with Jeremy Hannigan as the lead singer). Soon after the release of the album, the whole band except the rhythm guitarist leaves the band. A new line-up assembles. And then in 2015, the rhythm guitarist also decides to leave the band. But did they split up? Nope. They replaced him with a former guitarist/singer who previously played alongside him from before the debut album was recorded. So now we got this band with literally no one from their only album currently involved. It seemed like a stupid premise to me. I don't know what's going on with this band, MA says they are active, but their last facebook post was from over 2 years ago.

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 10:38 am 

Definitely seconding Jake Rogers as one of the top trad metal singers going today, if not the absolute top. His approach is a godsend for baritones like myself and is a natural progression from guys like Matt Barlow and Warrel Dane.

I also love Joseph Michael's performances. He was great on White Wizzard's The Devil Cut and has been exceptional with Witherfall, but seeing him fill in on this most recent Sanctuary tour absolutely sold me.

Not metal but Mlny Parsonz from Royal Thunder has to be my favorite singer going now. I forget the last time I heard a vocalist with so much emotion in their voice. It's like a manifestation of every ex-girlfriend I ever did wrong combining into a single voice and belting at me.

Sweetie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 11:21 am 

I never submitted this artist to the Archives because I doubt they'd accept it with their standards, but Nathaniel Kinsey has an awesome voice and writes pretty banging tunes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TkV47uxoEuU

~Guest 171512
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 3:16 pm 

Can't say that I'm keeping up with new bands any more, but Britney Slayes (Hayes) from Unleash the Archers is really good. They impressed me a lot live. Nice folks, too.

lordcatfish
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 4:25 pm 

I'm a big fan of Noora Louhimo from Battle Beast. Great voice that's adept for both heavy and soft material.

Bingewolf
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 10:52 pm 

Nate Garrett from Spirit Adrift comes to mind for me... I know he's obviously not a big high note/power metal type guy but he's got my favorite cleans in metal currently and, after seeing Spirit Adrift live, he nails it live!

I also give a nod to Miny of Royal Thunder!

Lythronax
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 9:30 pm 

Kayla Dixon from Witch Mountain is young and talented. She'll do a bit of harsh vocals sometimes, but her style isn't dominated by that. Definitely a dynamic voice that stands out in the doom genre. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYjiKzED4Pk

DoomMetalAlchemist
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 9:31 pm 

Lythronax wrote:
Kayla Dixon from Witch Mountain is young and talented. She'll do a bit of harsh vocals sometimes, but her style isn't dominated by that. Definitely a dynamic voice that stands out in the doom genre. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYjiKzED4Pk

Yeah, definitely seconding Kayla Dixon.

Bingewolf
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 10:40 pm 

DoomMetalAlchemist wrote:
Lythronax wrote:

Yeah, definitely seconding Kayla Dixon.

Thirded! I can't believe I didn't think of Witch Mountain... Kayla is amazing!

lordcatfish
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 2:22 am 

Good shout with Kayla. Wish she was still in Helion Prime.

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 9:12 am 

lordcatfish wrote:
Good shout with Kayla. Wish she was still in Helion Prime.

Came here to post this. She really makes the new Witch Mountain album and was great when I saw them with The Skull and Saint Vitus a couple years ago.

Operation Pivo
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 4:07 am 

Fans of the general retro/power/nwothm styles have really been spoiled for choice over the last decade. There have been so many great singers fronting great bands. I'd hate to leave anyone out, because I could write about this topic all day, but here are a select few:

With just one EP back in 2016, you have to savour every syllable sung by Maxx Mendoza from Jet Jaguar as though it were a rare treat.

If over the top 'kitsch-ness is your thing, Nicholas Allaire from Canada's Antioch should be your 'go to' guy. The guy is beyond human. Some of his high notes come with a Black-Metalesque 'wraith-ness' to them, but if you can accept that, you should be utterly floored by this guy.

Jake Nunn from Hell Fire is a different beast from those mentioned thus far. Hell fire have more of that 'raucous' metal sound and his voice really suits. His high notes have a nice powerful 'crunch' to them that creates a sense of urgency and passion in his delivery. Two great albums from these guys in '16 and '17. I really hope we'll get another one in '18.

I hope we haven't heard the last from Javier Pastor from Thunderheart. Their one album from 2015 has left this retro fan wanting more. He's in the lower range for the style, but he sings with a real muscular power that commands your attention.

With albums in '14 and '15, we are certainly due to hear more of Oskar Jacobsson from Sweden's Ambush. Definitely on the side of 'fun' and 'kitsch', he delivery comes across as truly effortless, even when he uncorks his high notes.

Now, I know you asked for 'clean' singers, but this list would not be complete without Mick Mahon from Stereo Nasty. This guy sings with a crunch that would make Noora Louhimo flinch, but it's a 'pitched' crunch that he takes up and down his register. It might take a few songs (depending on the listener), but if you can locate the tone within his crunch, there's more than enough to amaze fans of clean metal vocals.

And that's just the blokes. I haven't even got to the ladies yet!! I could be here all week.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 4:58 am 

Pelle Ã…hman from In Solitude had a very powerful voice that could carry a tune brilliantly on their 2013 album Sister. He's 26 now, so he was quite young at the time especially. It's a shame the band isn't active anymore, but hopefully they'll either get back together or he finds a new band to sing in. Pelle's strong point is the powerful delivery, and his ability to put his soul into the music. His performance on Sister is a massive improvement from the previous In Solitude albums as well.

Rocka_Rollas
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 8:43 am 

Marcus Sannefjord Olkerud in Palantir/Starblind is very good. He's in the school of Kiske/Tony Moore :)

Opus
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 4:54 pm 

Speaking of Rocka Rollas, I really like Joe Liszt. Ancient Empire ought to be huge if they continue like this.

Charly Coria from Argentinian band Sorcerer. Very Sanctuaryish sounding music, and his vocals matches that. Only one EP so far.

Sebastian Jansson of Below, continuing the Messiah Marcolin tradition of doom metal vocals.

Reply to topic