Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Bingewolf
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2018 1:59 pm 

Pretty cool development for fans of Burzum or the Norwegian BM scene... The person behind the "Burzum Museum" Facebook page uncovered a tape with previously unreleased material from Burzum and Uruk-Hai.

I'm really impressed with this discovery... And the material is solid! Very cool to hear the origins of one of the most notorious BM musicians of all-time.

It shouldn't have to be said, but I do not support Varg or his views... this is just a cool discovery for all us music nerds!

~Guest 285196
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2018 6:08 pm 

This seems legit. The uploader claims to have received the tape from the leader of Misanthropy Records, who again says she got it from Varg himself. The only confirmation needed is Varg leaving a comment below the video.

Any Burzum fan will recognize several of these riffs and melodies. :)

DividerOfShadows
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2018 6:14 pm 

Pretty nice. That final track and the track before it are beautiful.

And I'm still hoping for Katy Perry to do another Christian album.

My Last.fm

Roc
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2018 6:51 pm 

I listened to this a few times today and really enjoyed it. i will definitely listen to it more. It's awesome to get to hear this piece of second wave black metal history. Varg just playing his guitar. Hearing the origins of later Burzum songs. Really good stuff.

theconquerorwurm
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2018 10:52 pm 

Bingewolf wrote:
It shouldn't have to be said

Absolutely correct. Stoked this made it online, I've listened a couple times and it's good. I'll echo what others are saying, it's awesome to see Burzum coming together as it were.

Gunslinger21
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2018 11:44 pm 

Its a very cool tape, props to whoever dug it up and posted it online for all of us to share. Its a shame he doesn't write that kind of music anymore.

HaPoStaPu
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 6:41 am 

Interesting. Thanks for posting.

Compare to his recent stuff
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=E9EYsG3IAtg

DecemberSoul
Mirties Metafora

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 7:18 pm 

A quick word on the uploaders anti-bootlegging measures: Neither the lowered sound quality nor the added ding-dings would and could deter me from thoroughly enjoying the music. There's considerably worse-sounding material in the underworld that I cherish.
That being said, these particular recordings are more interesting due to their obscurity than their actual artistic value.

~Guest 343918
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 3:01 am 

DecemberSoul wrote:
A quick word on the uploaders anti-bootlegging measures: Neither the lowered sound quality nor the added ding-dings would and could deter me from thoroughly enjoying the music.

The ding-ding sounds like a cymbal and it doesn't deter the ambient songs in the least. This will be bootlegged to death.

Wyrmbane
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 11:35 am 

On a related note - did anyone finally get to hear the real 1989 Mayhem rehearsal (not the video one, which might be from 1990), that an Italian guy/'zine editor from back in the day had a copy of?

Sick6Six
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 12:42 pm 

I swear I remember downloading this unreleased material like 20 years ago, or is this new unreleased material aside from what was out there before?

ADreamOfWolves
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 2:24 pm 

"Hoddmimisholt" is the only highlight here for me. Repetitive and simple, but terrific atmosphere.

I find the whole "let me purposely make the quality shitty and add an annoying ding-ding sound effect so bootleggers aren't interested in this" argument to be completely stupid. Bootleggers are still going to bootleg it regardless of the quality and regardless of what sound effect he adds in every few minutes. So, the uploader made the listening experience more annoying for no point whatsoever.

~Guest 285196
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 2:48 pm 

According to the uploader, this is previously unreleased. It was one cassette tape sent from Varg in prison to the leader of Misanthropy Records, who then gave it to the uploader.

My skepticism would vanish if Varg himself confirmed this in a comment under the video, but this seems legit to me. If you read the Burzum.org page, Varg writes that Uruk-Hai started as a 3 piece with a bassist and a drummer, but when Varg joined Old Funeral, it ended u being just him. So the demo from the ~1989 being just Varg on guitar only makes sense.

Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 1:33 pm 

Varg confirmed this is authentic.

It's really cool to hear the early stuff, where the riffing is strongly influenced by Destruction but it has a bit of that mystical Burzum feeling to it. The later recordings are interesting, because you can hear a bit more of how some of the synth tracks were written on guitar.

Oxenkiller
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 2:14 pm 

I loved all of it, every minute of it. Especially the early speed metal influenced tracks (Total Destruction, Blood Red Scimitars); they aren't very "Burzum-Like" so to speak, but utterly shred; It would have been cool to hear finished songs made from them. The other more somber stuff (Haudmimscholt, etc.) is likewise excellent- great melody and atomosphere. Thanks for sharing! I remember for a long time, people were posting recordings of other bands, usually Ildjarn, and trying to pass them off as early Burzum/Uruk Hai recordings, which was obnoxious. This is clearly the real deal.

XcKyle93
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 5:49 pm 

High quality find. Thanks for sharing.

Evoken
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 6:00 pm 

That Epilogue track in particular is fantastic. It seems within the last 24 hours or so Varg reached out to the guy who posted it and asked for him to send him the files in high quality.

Hopefully he'll re-release these tracks officially on CD at some point, or at least digitally.

Bingewolf
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 10:24 pm 

Would love to see him release it properly but, as of now, it seems he just asked for the HQ versions for his YouTube channel according to the Burzum Museum guy...

Either way, an incredible listen!

Braltika
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 2:56 am 

Another, complete and unreleased, ambient song by Burzum (Oslo 2000): https://youtu.be/Z2WF5CeVcAM

Very bleak atmosphere and interesting percussion on this one. Like it a lot.

booK_of_blood
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 2:59 am 

I wonder when all this Burzum worshiping will cease to exist to never resurface again. I find it quite embarrassing.

~Guest 343918
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 4:01 am 

booK_of_blood wrote:
I wonder when all this Burzum worshiping will cease to exist to never resurface again. I find it quite embarrassing.

Probably when the resurfacing unreleased material ceases to be of any musical consequence. So far it's been pretty good.

EDIT:
Except for this "techno" song Varg himself just published. This is crap.

Braltika
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 5:50 am 

Vigintiseptem wrote:
Except for this "techno" song Varg himself just published. This is crap

Yikes, that is indeed horrible.

~Guest 285196
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 8:38 am 

Yeah, it's pretty bad, and it's annoying too, because I always thought that Varg's sense of timing and song-structure would make for great (non-ambient) electronic music, like house or something.

But we should appreciate this material for what it is, it's scraping the bottom of recorded material never intended to be released.

Bingewolf
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 10:33 am 

booK_of_blood wrote:

As you can read in the OP, this is not a Burzum worship thread and that was intentionally pointed out. It is discussing this unreleased, old material that has come to light. If any of the bands from that era suddenly had all of this lost material out, people would discuss it. Especially when it had long been claimed that no Uruk-Hai recordings had ever been done. If you are embarrassed to see metal being discussed on a metal board, you may have come to the wrong place...

AcidWorm
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 2:54 pm 

Sick6Six wrote:
I swear I remember downloading this unreleased material like 20 years ago, or is this new unreleased material aside from what was out there before?

There was an Ihsahn (I think it was) ambient demo that was labeled as Uruk Hai/Burzum that was floating around P2P back around the early/mid 2000s when I was getting into extreme metal. That could be what you are referring to.

TheLoneForest
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 8:21 pm 

booK_of_blood wrote:

Imagine thinking a discussion on unreleased Burzum music equates to worship. Nothing embarrassing about some rare demos

Oxenkiller
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 8:25 pm 

The newest song, Oslo 2000, that just surfaced- it sounds like an intro to a real song that never quite gets going. Basically just 3:34 of intro. I kept waiting for the song to start, and it just kept on intro-ing.

The Uruk Hai stuff was a lot better, and to prove I'm not a Burzum worshipper- I thought a lot of his stuff was brilliant and a lot of it was crap; often times you'd have a combination of brilliant and crap on the very same album.

TheLoneForest
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 8:43 pm 

Oxenkiller wrote:
The newest song, Oslo 2000, that just surfaced- it sounds like an intro to a real song that never quite gets going. Basically just 3:34 of intro. I kept waiting for the song to start, and it just kept on intro-ing.

The Uruk Hai stuff was a lot better, and to prove I'm not a Burzum worshipper- I thought a lot of his stuff was brilliant and a lot of it was crap; often times you'd have a combination of brilliant and crap on the very same album.

He was like 16 or 17 when he wrote it, so I don't rank it as much as Hvis lyset tar oss

Oxenkiller
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 9:25 pm 

AcidWorm wrote:
Sick6Six wrote:

There was an Ihsahn (I think it was) ambient demo that was labeled as Uruk Hai/Burzum that was floating around P2P back around the early/mid 2000s when I was getting into extreme metal. That could be what you are referring to.

I remember that; I think it was actually various Ildjarn demos.

Bingewolf
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 10:22 pm 

Oxenkiller wrote:

I thought the same thing... I think the Uruk-Hai stuff is pretty interesting as well as some of the Burzum that was on the same tape. According to the Burzum Museum guy, Varg thinks some of the stuff was recorded later than the dates listed so it could be that these were original ideas for material that would then become Burzum material.

Oxenkiller wrote:
I remember that; I think it was actually various Ildjarn demos.

Yes, it was Ildjarn demos being passed around as Uruk-Hai. I remember that!

OpsiusCato
Mexican Metal Inquisition

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 12:34 pm 

Varg is a fucking genius. Those newly-surfaced tracks rule! Especially the Ambient ones.
Opsius is Metal as fuck.

deadskin
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 2:18 pm 

Finally officially released on cds and lps

https://black-metal-vendor.com/advanced_search_result.php?categories_id=&inc_subcat=1&keywords=Burzum

Oddeye
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 5:56 am 

deadskin wrote:
Finally officially released on cds and lps

https://black-metal-vendor.com/advanced ... rds=Burzum

The site doesn't work :grr:

LordStenhammar
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 6:09 am 

He had these great ambient songs in his pocket. A lot better than most of his official ambient albums. Got to wonder.

jose_G
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 12:41 pm 

great!!

Gunslinger21
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 10:25 pm 

That link wasn't working properly, does anyone have a sample video or something.

deadskin
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 12:55 pm 

https://www.black-metal-vendor.com/advanced_search_result.php?categories_id=&inc_subcat=1&keywords=Burzum

deadskin
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 2:24 pm 

If you didnt get a confirmation from the store this morning that means the order didnt make it due some problems.

Slater922
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 2:40 pm 

Gunslinger21 wrote:
That link wasn't working properly, does anyone have a sample video or something.

Yeah, I don't know what happened to the link, but here's another video to watch. I recommend you download it in case it gets deleted.

Oddeye
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 4:20 am 

deadskin wrote:
https://www.black-metal-vendor.com/advanced_search_result.php?categories_id=&inc_subcat=1&keywords=Burzum

I just bought a copy, I wonder if it's a bootleg or an official release?

Reply to topic Go to page 1, 2  Next