Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Dembo
Dumbo

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 9:18 am 

Terrorizer will release a new album this fall via The End Records, produced by Jason Suecof.

http://metalstorm.net/events/news_comme ... s_id=34000

Last edited by Dembo on Sat Aug 18, 2018 10:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cat III
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 11:22 pm 

I've heard the last two weren't so good, though I'm not sure if I've ever listened myself. Wouldn't hurt to give this new one a shot. I rarely hear new grind.

Oxenkiller
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 1:08 am 

"World Downfall" was fucking epic, but I honestly haven't listened to anything they've done since. I might actually want to check this out- Terrorizer were one of the few grindcore bands who, in my opinion, totally got it right- ultra fast and brutal, but with great riffs and songwriting.

cultofkraken
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 2:46 am 

I dunno, Pete going all gonzo born again Christian has made the lustre fade on anything Terrorizer related.

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 3:52 am 

I definitely think that Jesse being dead is worse than Pete’s blast beats being of the Christian kind.

ACFAN8895
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 3:05 pm 

No Jesse. No Oscar = No Terrorizer. All of the reformation records sucked and it was a damn shame that "Darker Days Ahead" ended up being Jesse Pintado's epitaph.

cultofkraken
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 3:59 am 

Acrobat wrote:
I definitely think that Jesse being dead is worse than Pete’s blast beats being of the Christian kind.

Jesse being dead is worse for metal period, but that’s not new. I suppose neither is Pete’s B.S. but he’s still around.

The_Spice_Must_Flow
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 7:03 pm 

I'll give it a listen when it comes out, but I'm not expecting much either. At least Pete hasn't gone full MegaDave yet and started blabbing Fox news nonsense :lol:

true_death
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 7:27 pm 

The_Spice_Must_Flow wrote:
At least Pete hasn't gone full MegaDave yet and started blabbing Fox news nonsense :lol:

:lol: Yes he has, he's fallen way farther down the rabbit hole than Dave ever did. Ever check is Facebook page? He's no ordinary born again Christian, no...he's gone completely fucking bonkers, constantly preaching about "the end times" and saying today's youth are "demonically possessed" and other ridiculous stuff. He seems like the kind of guy who would donate a huge portion of his yearly earnings to some televangelist preacher, or who gets duped by "faith healing" bullshit. He does seem to have chilled out a bit in the last year or so - the religious stuff has become less frequent, but I'm still worried about him. He just seems really "broken" mentally, I can't imagine what happened in his life to cause such a dramatic shift in his world views.

The_Spice_Must_Flow
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 7:32 pm 

I didn't know about that considering I don't use Facebook. Well fuck :nono:

Oxenkiller
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 12:16 am 

People often get full hardcore religious as a side effect of battling substance abuse issues; it becomes part of their 12-step recovery for them, turning to a higher power. And the reason they turn to the real hard-line religion is precisely for the rigid discipline it offers them. I don't know if that is the case with Pete Sandoval or not because I don't know his background.

But it is a shame because a lot of these extremists are, well, pretty far out there, even by mainline Christian standards, and their views are so extreme that I would imagine it would be very difficult to enjoy life. Everything is "Evil" or "Satanic" to them, there is this constant fearmongering of hell and condemnation and their view of God is like some kind of celestial Kim Jong-Un- a strict, cruel and vengeful tyrant of a deity.

So with that said, It would be "interesting" (albeit not necessarily in a good way) to see what the lyrics are like on this one, if nothing else. Wouldn't be surprised to hear a lot of gay-bashing, poor and/or immigrant bashing, worlds gonna blow up, guns for Jesus kind of stuff.

treebeard
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 2:39 am 

Oxenkiller wrote:
People often get full hardcore religious as a side effect of battling substance abuse issues; it becomes part of their 12-step recovery for them, turning to a higher power. And the reason they turn to the real hard-line religion is precisely for the rigid discipline it offers them. I don't know if that is the case with Pete Sandoval or not because I don't know his background.

But it is a shame because a lot of these extremists are, well, pretty far out there, even by mainline Christian standards, and their views are so extreme that I would imagine it would be very difficult to enjoy life. Everything is "Evil" or "Satanic" to them, there is this constant fearmongering of hell and condemnation and their view of God is like some kind of celestial Kim Jong-Un- a strict, cruel and vengeful tyrant of a deity.

So with that said, It would be "interesting" (albeit not necessarily in a good way) to see what the lyrics are like on this one, if nothing else. Wouldn't be surprised to hear a lot of gay-bashing, poor and/or immigrant bashing, worlds gonna blow up, guns for Jesus kind of stuff.

Speaking as a former Evangelical Christian fundamentalist (like half the people on this board, lol), you're dead-on. As for the album, hopefully that won't be the case with the lyrics. Would be a real shame to see that happen. If it does, well, when it comes to Christian grindcore, you're better off with Vomitorial Corpulence's final tracks on a six-way split. They even decry Christian extremism in the lyrics.

Oddeye
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 5:30 am 

Hordes of Zombies had some pretty cool songs and riffs but Anthony Rezhawk has one of the most boring voices in the scene and that alone makes the album a total snoozefest. The new album can't be any worse than that.

Zephirus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 5:30 am 

not sure this will be any good but will give a listen
Pete seems to think his drumming is on par again so would be good to hear that
last couple of albums have passed me by, gave quick listens but nothing had the impact of World Downfall
they'll always be playing second fiddle to it i think

FirebathDan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 9:02 am 

I'm counting on Harrison and Molina to hopefully inject some much needed energy back into this project, because the last two albums were the most tepid and lethargic attempts at "grindcore" I've ever heard. Turned me off of Resistant Culture altogether. Since these two have joined the band, recent setlists completely downplay the last two albums and the set is over 2/3 comprised of World Downfall songs.

Oxenkiller wrote:

I hear the concern about Sandoval's nuttiness seeping into the lyrics, and it's certainly valid for sure. But I don't get the sense that he was this band's lyricist, historically speaking. Rezhawk was the lyricist credited on the last two and the background he apparently comes from with Resistant Culture is pretty leftist, and Sandoval was already known to be chin deep into this religious nonsense at the time of Hordes Of Zombies. Now the Terrorizer lyrics penned by Rezhawk don't go into leftist politics but rather are very generalized apocalyptic/"humanity will be responsible for its own downfall" type stuff, and this sort of generalized topic is what I am expecting from this album. I hesitate to say I'd be surprised if the lyrics go full on evangelical/extreme right, because nothing surprises me these days, but I don't think that'll be the case (if so, just one more album for me to not waste my time on).

I think if anything, Sandoval should think about how his drums sound on this record. Grindcore is a punk-rooted genre, and the overly processed/triggered drum tones on the last two albums go completely against that spirit. Just...yuck.

Yeah, I don't have the highest of hopes for this, but I'm not outright dismissing it either. I'm approaching this one with caution, for various reasons.
Obliteration

Lagartija
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 2:30 pm 

If anyone finds a riff on here, let me know and I might check it out. I'm not falling for it again like on the previous two records.
Ok, Jesse is no longer with us, but Lock Up managed to find a worthy replacement so why not Terrorizer?

ohfuck
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2018 9:22 pm 

Man both Terrorizer's need to just pack it up. Yeah, World Downfall was good but that will be turning 30 next year. But metal has this terrible trend of throwing money at veterans of the scene when they couldn't be giving that to so many better younger acts.

Hallucination Realized. Real grind shit

Oddeye
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 4:18 am 

They just released a new song:

Short and to the point but I am not convinced yet.

Zephirus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 4:32 am 

Oddeye wrote:

it's not bad but will need to hear more
Pete is definitely back on track i'd say

Lagartija
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 1:44 pm 

Oddeye wrote:

Unless this is just a drum track and the guitars are still to be added, count me out.

FirebathDan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 12:53 pm 

This is a major step up from the last two, but that’s not saying much. I’ll check out the album in full, but I expect that-at the very best-this will be one of those albums that’s decent when it’s on but I’ll have no real drive to repeatedly go back to it.
Obliteration

FirebathDan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 1:22 pm 

Out today, first impressions are that its a major step up from the previous two albums. Nowhere on the level of World Downfall, but a big step in the right direction.

That said, I haven't seen the lyrics so no idea the level of proselytizing going on, if any.
Obliteration

Dembo
Dumbo

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 1:34 pm 

Full official stream:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... siweCRmbCD

Reply to topic