Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Pichushkin
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 11:06 pm 

I was thinking about getting a subscription to the UKs Terrorizer magazine, however, while doing research on the cost I stumbled upon a few sites saying that they haven’t released a new issue all year but are still charging people for their subscriptions. Does anyone know what the hell is going on? Why haven’t they released a statement? I’d hate to lose my 2nd favorite metal magazine. My first is Metal Maniacs and they went defunct almost a decade ago.

Oxenkiller
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 11:17 pm 

I used to buy this over the counter and I haven't seen it in a long time. Even when it was still going strong, it was only sporadically available over the counter in the US, so I don't really know. it was a great magazine...when you could get it.

aaronmb666
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 11:22 pm 

http://www.terrorizer.com/news/terroriz ... the-gates/

Pitiless Wanderer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 10:22 am 

So many cool memories of this magazine. When I lived in London years ago I used to buy every new issue, go to my favorite Portugese coffee shop in Paddington and read it cover to cover. If they went under, that's too bad.

Oxenkiller
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 8:17 pm 

they used to include a CD sampler of bands with each issue. This was kind of cool. You'd usually discover maybe one or two new bands you liked on there each time. Even if the rest were nothing special, I discovered some of my favorite albums that way. Sometimes the CD would get just ripped off by someone without them paying for the magazine (which was annoying if predictable, friggin' mallcore kids!!) so you'd get the magazine without the CD, but that was okay. They had good interviews and articles in there usually.

Sarkhasm
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 8:01 am 

Haven't thought about that magazine for years. Great for finding heavier things when I was young. Only magazine that I get these days is Zero Tolerance.

~Guest 389043
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 8:15 am 

Was a decent gateway publication 'back in the day' though I'd suggest its consumer base is probably now not the type to purchase physical products.

FatTheGates
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 8:35 am 

Pichushkin wrote:
I was thinking about getting a subscription to the UKs Terrorizer magazine, however, while doing research on the cost I stumbled upon a few sites saying that they haven’t released a new issue all year but are still charging people for their subscriptions. Does anyone know what the hell is going on? Why haven’t they released a statement? I’d hate to lose my 2nd favorite metal magazine. My first is Metal Maniacs and they went defunct almost a decade ago.

They're having financial troubles from what I hear, which is fairly common for print mags in this day and age. I would be careful about a prepaid subscription, I have gotten burned several times when magazines folded, as you normally don't get anything back even if they owe you a bunch of issues. If you do one, keep it short, if that's an option.

I used to write for Metal Maniacs back in the '90s, I miss that one too. Although my own personal favorite mag was Metal Forces (UK) in its heydey of the late '80s / early '90s.

schizoid
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:12 am 

Used to read it back way when, along with Metal Maniacs. I still remember their Mudvayne 0/10 review :lol:

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 10:08 am 

I used to buy this magazine all the time years ago. I even got a subscription for a year. But I stopped buying after a while.

I didn't know that they hadn't released magazines in months, though. That's pretty shitty if they're doing that but still charging people. I hope that whatever the issue is gets sorted because it was my favourite magazine for a while there.

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

Evoken
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 12:22 pm 

schizoid wrote:
Used to read it back way when, along with Metal Maniacs. I still remember their Mudvayne 0/10 review :lol:

I remember that too. It was pretty funny but if we were to be honest, a little unfair too. I wouldn't call Mudvayne a good band, but in terms of how well they could play their instruments and play somewhat complex arrangements, they were a step above most other bands in the nu-metal genre at the time. Especially the bassist and drummer. So that 0/10 review was a little unjustified, even if Mudvayne sort of deserved it with that stupid make-up they wore back then.

But then again, Terrorizer made Emperor's IX Equilibrium album seem like the best metal album that ever existed when they reviewed it. It was so ridiculous in its praise that a quote from their review even made it onto the hype stickers of the CD when it came out. It's not a bad album by any means, but most people would not call it a classic. I found it to be a major disappointment after "Anthems...", if anything. So it was sometimes tough to take their reviews completely serious, even when they reviewed real metal.

Pitiless Wanderer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 4:51 pm 

Oxenkiller wrote:
they used to include a CD sampler of bands with each issue. This was kind of cool. You'd usually discover maybe one or two new bands you liked on there each time. Even if the rest were nothing special, I discovered some of my favorite albums that way. Sometimes the CD would get just ripped off by someone without them paying for the magazine (which was annoying if predictable, friggin' mallcore kids!!) so you'd get the magazine without the CD, but that was okay. They had good interviews and articles in there usually.

Oh yeah, the sampler was a serious plus for sure. I think they were the one of the first, or maybe the first, printed publications to include physical music with their magazine. I discovered Hypocrisy through one of those samplers...the single they released from Virus. Awesome magazine for sure, that one.

Pitiless Wanderer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 4:56 pm 

Evoken wrote:
schizoid wrote:

I remember that too. It was pretty funny but if we were to be honest, a little unfair too. I wouldn't call Mudvayne a good band, but in terms of how well they could play their instruments and play somewhat complex arrangements, they were a step above most other bands in the nu-metal genre at the time. Especially the bassist and drummer. So that 0/10 review was a little unjustified, even if Mudvayne sort of deserved it with that stupid make-up they wore back then.

But then again, Terrorizer made Emperor's IX Equilibrium album seem like the best metal album that ever existed when they reviewed it. It was so ridiculous in its praise that a quote from their review even made it onto the hype stickers of the CD when it came out. It's not a bad album by any means, but most people would not call it a classic. I found it to be a major disappointment after "Anthems...", if anything. So it was sometimes tough to take their reviews completely serious, even when they reviewed real metal.

I remember that quote well - I still have it on my case for Equilibrium and it was the reason I bought it! Not a bad album but clearly not up to par with Anthems or the debut.

Required Fields
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 7:19 pm 

It does sound like it has gone under. Sad.

I was subscribed to Metal Maniacs while it got discontinued.

What's the closest magazine that's still in publication to Metal Maniacs, anyways, that isn't a fanzine of some kind?

Evoken
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:17 pm 

Required Fields wrote:
It does sound like it has gone under. Sad.

I was subscribed to Metal Maniacs while it got discontinued.

What's the closest magazine that's still in publication to Metal Maniacs, anyways, that isn't a fanzine of some kind?

Decibel isn't bad. It's not as good as Metal Maniacs was back in the day, but in terms of the metal magazines that are still around, Decibel is usually worth flipping through.

Rodman
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 1:29 am 

I can confirm that the magazine is not dead, but I would advise abstaining from purchasing a subscription until you see them put out 3 or 4 issues without any problems.

Rodman
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 1:31 am 

FatTheGates wrote:
Pichushkin wrote:

They're having financial troubles from what I hear, which is fairly common for print mags in this day and age. I would be careful about a prepaid subscription, I have gotten burned several times when magazines folded, as you normally don't get anything back even if they owe you a bunch of issues. If you do one, keep it short, if that's an option.

I used to write for Metal Maniacs back in the '90s, I miss that one too. Although my own personal favorite mag was Metal Forces (UK) in its heydey of the late '80s / early '90s.

I have a box full of old MM magazines, circa 2004-05. Were you writing during that period; if so, what was your pen-name?

Lord_Brendan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 6:16 pm 

Sad. I still have about 30 Terrorizer and over 100 Metal Maniacs mags.
Hmm, I actually wouldn't mind buying him a sauna if it would reduce the odds of me getting infected by his excess sensitive-skin flakes that get blown off in the wind. I don't want to turn into a cunt.

~Guest 277521
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 3:27 am 

A few months ago I found a few old issues of Terrorizer I had wanted to keep back in the day (from around the 2005-2009 period or so). I read one of them for fun... is it just me or was the writing really horrendous? They still introduced me to a bunch of bands though!

treebeard
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 5:15 am 

Decibel is kinda meh, but that review of a Waking the Cadaver album that got a zero out of ten was freaking hilarious. From what I read, they were complaining from the stage at shows about that and how the guy who wrote it trolling them on a metal webzine he used to write for. The writer spread the fact that the lead singer had the fact that he sold stuff for AMWAY on his myspace profile and ripped him a new one for it. "Women, would you buy perfume from a guy who wrote a song titled "Chased Through the Woods By a Rapist"???" What a burn...

And one cannot forget the lead vocalist's reply to one of the webzine articles slamming them... "You would be easily assaulted." CLASSIC!!!!!

Zephirus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 8:35 am 

would be nice if they made it clear on their website what they are doing!?

cweed
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 2:02 pm 

treebeard wrote:
Decibel is kinda meh, but that review of a Waking the Cadaver album that got a zero out of ten was freaking hilarious. From what I read, they were complaining from the stage at shows about that and how the guy who wrote it trolling them on a metal webzine he used to write for. The writer spread the fact that the lead singer had the fact that he sold stuff for AMWAY on his myspace profile and ripped him a new one for it. "Women, would you buy perfume from a guy who wrote a song titled "Chased Through the Woods By a Rapist"???" What a burn...

And one cannot forget the lead vocalist's reply to one of the webzine articles slamming them... "You would be easily assaulted." CLASSIC!!!!!

Ha you're talking about that old post by Sergeant D on the Metal Inquisition blog. Hilarious stuff!

http://metalinquisition.blogspot.com/20 ... amway.html

Most or all of the original images are missing, but it's still pretty funny.

Reply to topic