Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Terri23
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:29 pm 

Phil Swanson on the For Mircalla record. Great stuff. Vocals are definitely an acquired taste, but I wouldn't want anyone else on that record.

Riffs wrote:
It's been scientifically proven that appreciating Black Sabbath helps increase life expectancy, improves happiness, bumps your salary by 11 thousand dollars annually, helps fight cavities and increases penis size.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 7:37 am 

Terri23 wrote:
Phil Swanson on the For Mircalla record. Great stuff. Vocals are definitely an acquired taste, but I wouldn't want anyone else on that record.

He's magnificent. I think he's been good in everything I've heard him in.

Quote:
I can't say I disagree with you. But I did mention "adaptability" as a skill, and this is exactly what I was alluding to (perhaps I should've been a bit clearer). She's adaptable enough to fully bring someone else's vision to life, which-as ailly as this might sound-is a special skill in of itself.

Whether Holopainen's vision is right for her overall skill set? To my ears, in some ways yes, in some ways no. I wasn't dissatisfied with Endless Forms overall, but do hope he writes to her full potential on the next record.

But ReVamp? That's where she really lets loose and Wild Card is a vocal masterclass.

Yeah, I mean that Nightwish album wasn't really about the kind of big, extravagant melodies she's done in the past. Maybe the next one will have more need for that side of her.

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:23 am 

I doubt Floor will get to use that much more of her range on the next Nightwish record. She's content with Tuomas writing her parts and he's been limiting himself to a range of "girl who can stay in key" since Once.

Temple Of Blood
Old Man Yells at Cloud

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:19 am 

Devin Townsend's vocals in VAI's "Pig" are unreplicatable.

Anfauglir1
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 12:18 pm 

Nattramn of Silencer deserves a mention, I think.

~Guest 171512
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 2:47 pm 

Can't believe no one's mentioned Mark Shelton of Manilla Road. Hellroadie may sound similar to him, but MR hasn't been the same since Shelton stepped down from lead vocal duties. He was actually an obstacle to my getting into the band at first, only because I was expecting operatic singing with a lot of high notes; his gruff, nasally vocals threw me off, but before long I realized they were perfect.

Paul Baloff and the guy from Vio-lence also deserve mention, but only because they were uniquely terrible. I don't care if Baloff is 'more metal' than me, he was a fucking terrible vocalist; then again, 'Bonded by Blood' was so musically weak that it hardly deserved anyone better. Vio-lence, on the other hand, made great music (on the first album at least), but the guy they picked to sing over it hamstrings it.

Lord_Jotun
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 7:32 pm 

Frantisek Storm of Master's Hammer definitely deserve a place in every thread like this one. Ritual ha some of the weirdest, most unsettling harsh vocals I've ever heard, while on The Jilemnice Occultist he unleashes a barrage of different vocal approaches to follow the plotline and all its different characters.
Orgiastic Pleasures
Rust
Black Druid Hymns - my projects on YouTube

Oxenkiller
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 7:50 pm 

I like Baloff's voice on "Bonded by Blood" and I do like the album a lot, but I know what you mean...he tended to just yell out of key a lot of time, which is grating. I like his aggressive approach to singing, but the out of key thing- I get what you are saying, yeah it was annoying at times. I read somewhere that he actually took voice lessons after that album came out, but I never heard any of the stuff he did later with his other bands, so I don't know how it sounds.

traxan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:46 pm 

Warrel Dane of Nevermore. He was unique but also had tremendous talent.

Maybe they aren't metal by definition but you have to admit Serj Tankian from SOAD is one of a kind.

Gemini 7 Rising
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 12:20 am 

Lord_Jotun wrote:
Frantisek Storm of Master's Hammer definitely deserve a place in every thread like this one. Ritual ha some of the weirdest, most unsettling harsh vocals I've ever heard, while on The Jilemnice Occultist he unleashes a barrage of different vocal approaches to follow the plotline and all its different characters.

yeah, good one. He's about as metal as you get but at the same time quite esoteric & otherworldly. Especially on that follow-up, 'The Jilemnice Occultist', from what I remember.

In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if Attila took a cue or 2 from him. That 1st Master's Hammer beats De Mysteriis by a couple of years, doesn't it? And since Attila's name here annoys some people I may as well mention him again, haha

~Guest 354281
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:54 am 

I don't really know if Lord Sabathan's vocals classify as unique but his screams in Enthroned are thoroughly missed.

The band managed to stay consistent enough after he left but the vocals were never the same after that.

For me one of the best BM vocalists ever.

Serenityinaz12
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 12:24 pm 

Anfauglir1 wrote:

Was what I was going to post. Definitely this

LordStenhammar
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 2:34 pm 

aloof wrote:
Cirith Ungol's Tim Baker

He was the first one I thought when reading the title of this topic. Very over the top vocals, but they certainly fit the music. And King Diamond too, of-fucking-course.

Mockturtle
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 6:54 pm 

I really enjoy the vocals in Forever Slave.

They apply a high, soprano voice but it contrasts with western opera and has an eerie, ethereal quality that is very gothic (as it is meant to be). Her very thick Spanish accent helps and it is infrequently juxtaposed with a male death growl in the beauty-and-the-beast fashion.

HenryKrinkle31
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:07 pm 

Three that always come to mind include...

Vio-Lence - Eternal Nightmare
Confessor - Condemned
Nevermore - anything

But I love them all.

~Guest 21181
The Great Fearmonger

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 6:07 am 

To clarify my earlier comments on Attila: I think he's good now, but when he was actually "unique" he was dreadful (because he was bad and needed to practice). I don't know how anyone can get through De Mysteriis without laughing.

person wrote:
Antti Boman from Demilich. Sounds like my stomach when deprived of beef.
Spoiler: show

:brick: why didn't I think of this one. Yes, Antti's voice and method are really out there.

Liquid_Braino
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 8:35 am 

'Nasty Ronnie' from Nasty Savage is one of the first I think of. One of the few metal singers that gives off this vibe as a smarmy back-stabbing asshole, winking at your sister while selling you a piece-of-garbage car. Sometimes he sounds like a cross between an Amway speaker and a strip-club DJ, and it works. Oddly enough, there's charisma there, and he varied his range a lot from lows to shrieking highs.
I'm only going by the 80's releases.

traxan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 4:53 pm 

MawBTS wrote:
She sounded great with Nightwish live, but when I heard the album she was a flat line. No power whatsoever. Maybe she'll be better on the next one.

That's because the last Nightwish album sucked. Tuomas tried to dial it back and made it boring in the process.

Pitiless Wanderer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:16 pm 

That dude Daniel Heiman from Lost Horizon was unique in that he absolutely slayed any other power metal singer out there.

Pitiless Wanderer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:19 pm 

Serenityinaz12 wrote:
Anfauglir1 wrote:

Was what I was going to post. Definitely this

First one I thought of, too.

Lane
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 3:36 pm 

How about Primus's Les Claypool?!?! Took me YEARS to get into their music, or rather, vocals, even though a couple of my close friends repeatedly played me their stuff. We had wild parties, and even alcohol didn't mash my brain hard enough for me to start digging Les. Well, eventually I did.

I think people who has (if...) similar voice to Les wouldn't release their singing, or stop it at once or change to other instrument...

TheLoneForest
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 4:44 pm 

The usual Nattram from Silencer still gets credit. Also, Niko from Thergothon has this incredibly dank and burpy growl that's pretty unique to him. Another very common, but still godlike, one is Patrick Walker from Warning + 40 Watt Sun. Still haven't found anyone else like him

mjollnir
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 9:30 pm 

Anders Zackrisson, the singer on Nocturnal Rites first three (and best) albums. His voice is quite unique. No one sounds like him as far as I've heard.

Like your reviews?

OpsiusCato
Mexican Metal Inquisition

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 2:48 am 

traxan wrote:
Maybe they aren't metal by definition but you have to admit Serj Tankian from SOAD is one of a kind.

One of a kind? He pretty much carbon-copied Jello Biafra's vocal style and applied to a wider vocal range, sung over "heavier" music.
Opsius is Metal as fuck.

Last edited by OpsiusCato on Sun Jul 15, 2018 2:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cat III
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 2:51 am 

Thiestru wrote:
Can't believe no one's mentioned Mark Shelton of Manilla Road. Hellroadie may sound similar to him, but MR hasn't been the same since Shelton stepped down from lead vocal duties. He was actually an obstacle to my getting into the band at first, only because I was expecting operatic singing with a lot of high notes; his gruff, nasally vocals threw me off, but before long I realized they were perfect.

Ahem.

Cat III wrote:
Thirteen posts in and no one has mentioned Mark "The Shark" Shelton. For shame. He gives Manilla Road that something extra.

idunnosomename
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 3:49 pm 

D4nzig wrote:
Lemmy
Jon Oliva
Blackie Lawless
Ozzy

I did want to say Ozzy Osbourne. For the singer of the godfathers of metal he has little direct influence. Probably because his peak Black Sabbath voice is essentially shredding his vocal chords. I don't like his voice, but can't deny it's unique and interesting, even if it was unsustainable.

The Red Tower
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 3:32 pm 

I'll add Steinþór Nicolaison from Icelandic band Flames of Hell to this list. Their one and only album is a gem of first wave black metal and the first extreme metal album from this island up north. His vocal performance is simply bizarre and I'd say it's pretty much unique. Especially the 2nd track "Evil" is pure gold. He sounds like fully mentally deranged...

https://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Flames_of_Hell/6101

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zGHSHUj3IsU

~Guest 171512
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 3:50 pm 

@Cat III: I stand corrected!

Lord_Jotun
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 6:01 am 

Gemini 7 Rising wrote:
Lord_Jotun wrote:

yeah, good one. He's about as metal as you get but at the same time quite esoteric & otherworldly. Especially on that follow-up, 'The Jilemnice Occultist', from what I remember.

In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if Attila took a cue or 2 from him. That 1st Master's Hammer beats De Mysteriis by a couple of years, doesn't it? And since Attila's name here annoys some people I may as well mention him again, haha

Interesting theory, more so because Attila's vocals in Tormentor were nowhere near as theatrical.

Somar wrote:
I don't really know if Lord Sabathan's vocals classify as unique but his screams in Enthroned are thoroughly missed.

The band managed to stay consistent enough after he left but the vocals were never the same after that.

For me one of the best BM vocalists ever.

Thought about him too. For black metal screamers, he really doesn't sound like anyone else out there.
Orgiastic Pleasures
Rust
Black Druid Hymns - my projects on YouTube

Draehl
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 11:06 am 

I always thought Ihsahn's clean vocals had a certain uniqueness to them. Certainly not crazy unique, but noticeably so.

~Guest 394415
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 11:20 am 

Last edited by ~Guest 394415 on Mon Feb 10, 2020 7:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cat III
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 11:24 pm 

Thiestru wrote:
@Cat III: I stand corrected!

No problem. Shelton deserves to be mentioned more than once.

Z0MBIE
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 7:56 am 

The Red Tower wrote:
I'll add Steinþór Nicolaison from Icelandic band Flames of Hell to this list. Their one and only album is a gem of first wave black metal and the first extreme metal album from this island up north. His vocal performance is simply bizarre and I'd say it's pretty much unique. Especially the 2nd track "Evil" is pure gold. He sounds like fully mentally deranged...

https://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Flames_of_Hell/6101

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zGHSHUj3IsU

This is exactly the kind of stuff in looking for, thank you!
Lesson #0 in life: don't be a fucking retard.

childrenofthenight wrote:
Would you say you were touched by Satan's Almighty Penis?

Last.fm

Oblarg
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 12:11 pm 

Jesse White from Antiquus sounds like no one else on the face of the planet. His vibrato gets a bit wobble-y at times on their first two albums, but his weird nasally tone works brilliantly for the music.

Vipunen
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 5:26 pm 

Metatron from Meads of Asphodel comes to mind. Very distinctive and easily recognizable harsh vocals.

Sweetie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 5:32 pm 

Did nobody mention Layne Staley yet?

He definitely has that "grungy" voice, but I always thought that it stood far apart from the others, and did such an incredible job at conveying the emotions he felt, which no other act of the time could match. For that alone, he's one of my all time favorites.

Pitiless Wanderer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 12:29 am 

Yeah, Lane for sure. So obvious as to not even come to mind. Loved that dude.

joppek
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 7:04 am 

i'm surprised the thread almost got to the second page before boman (of demilich) was mentioned

anyway, i'll throw in josef vesely from !t.o.o.h.! - dude did some pretty fucked up stuff vocally

Rompestromper
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 7:37 am 

Sven from Aborterd has a quite unique and recognizable voice.
Dan Swano can't be missed either

lost_wanderer
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 6:42 pm 

Varg Vikernes was really unique on his first Burzum albums. It was easily recognizable amongst other black metal artists at the time. On his latter albums, he was pretty mediocre, though.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next