Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
RawEvil
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 8:09 am 

Interested in checking this out.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 6:22 pm 

On the subject of In Torment in Hell, which song was it again that had those weird grunting sounds Glen made that everyone says sounds like he's getting pounded in the ass? I consistently forget which one it is.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

true_death
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 6:47 pm 

Subrick wrote:
On the subject of In Torment in Hell, which song was it again that had those weird grunting sounds Glen made that everyone says sounds like he's getting pounded in the ass? I consistently forget which one it is.

Vengeance Will Be Mine

aaronmb666
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 9:03 pm 

true_death wrote:
aaronmb666 wrote:
In Torment In Hell is one of my favorite covers of theres, but I'll never understand how they were able to use that when the original cover was banned, but it's not much different.

I've never seen the original art (didn't even know it existed), but it could be some half-assed attempt to drum up "controversy" in a desperate attempt to sell the album. I think Glen even said that most/all of the controversy linked to the band during the Roadrunner was just "record label hype". And yeah, I agree with Till Death being pretty boring, but it was at least a pretty intense & brutal album, which is ultimately my problem with To Hell With God and why I put that at the bottom. No intensity at all, not from the riffs or the production...it doesn't have that unique "punch" that makes Deicide's music memorable & just sounds like a generic death metal band.

As far as ITIH, before it came out, Roadrunner was giving small updates, saying the band recorded it in a few days and were waiting for the cover art, saying they were told it was VERY sacriligeous. It ended up being too sacriligeous to the point that it was banned and they said they couldnt say exactly what it was, but they could give you an idea. It showed incest, oral sex, castration, several holy figures, along with the usual demons.
I remember sometime after that Glen ended up selling the cover on ebay and ended up ending it early as he was being bombarded with questions about the band(the second time around, he said he would only answer questions about the auction). Anyway, I ended up finding the original cover and here it is:

DeathfareDevil
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:14 pm 

THE

ARISTOCRATS

Gunslinger21
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 11:33 pm 

Aaron the picture didn't load properly?

Church13
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 9:17 am 

true_death wrote:
Subrick wrote:

Vengeance Will Be Mine

Time is a motherfucker. I just pulled this song up because it has been well over a decade since I bothered to listen to the album, and I actually found myself enjoying the song.

aaronmb666
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 8:59 pm 

Gunslinger21 wrote:

https://myspace.com/serpentillustration ... ndi-670229

This is easier, plus there's some other stuff.

Gunslinger21
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 11:23 am 

aaronmb666 wrote:
Gunslinger21 wrote:

https://myspace.com/serpentillustration ... ndi-670229

This is easier, plus there's some other stuff.

Thanks for the link.

I was thinking about the recent passing of Ralph Santolla and how much I loved his work back in the day. I'm currently re listening to Stench and its just hitting me how high quality the songs are on this album. How do they go from putting out shit like insineratehym and Til Death to something amazing like this, you wouldn't think it was the same band. This album holds a lot of great personal memories for me, I bought this when it was released and it's pretty nostalgic for me going through it again.

Man I have high hopes for this new album. I'm hoping they can pull one out and really hit this out of the park.

aaronmb666
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 2:05 pm 

Thanks for the link.

I was thinking about the recent passing of Ralph Santolla and how much I loved his work back in the day. I'm currently re listening to Stench and its just hitting me how high quality the songs are on this album. How do they go from putting out shit like insineratehym and Til Death to something amazing like this, you wouldn't think it was the same band. This album holds a lot of great personal memories for me, I bought this when it was released and it's pretty nostalgic for me going through it again.

Man I have high hopes for this new album. I'm hoping they can pull one out and really hit this out of the park.[/quote]

Back in the late 90's, the band was miserable, hence the filler albums. Til Death was just to get off Earache(theyve been really vague about why they didn't like the label, but even Ralph hated them). Hopefully Mark English is similar to Ralph, as the stuff on Monstrosity is amazing.

IamDBR
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 10:58 am 

I kept looking at that artwork for a fair bit. Still can't tell what's happening, good shit nonetheless.

Anyways, will give this a shot even though the band never clicked with me.

aaronmb666
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 10:30 pm 

Not sure who the guy is, but he's one of the few who's heard it, he posted:
By the way, great performance on the record. Fantastic album. Catchy, heavy (of course), but very well-written and produced. Strongest album since Legion, IMO. His favorite is All That Is Evil and Anointed by Blood.

We'll get a new song sometime this week.

DecemberSoul
Mirties Metafora

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:04 pm 

O' Unlord, thus it hath happened - a butterfly and flowers on a Deicide cover!

Done with this world ;)

Gemini 7 Rising
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:21 pm 

Very cool artwork.

Last edited by Gemini 7 Rising on Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gemini 7 Rising
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:35 pm 

at the gaytes wrote:
I urge every fan of classic Deicide to give a chance to Till Death Do Us Apart, below the apparece of generic modern OSDM, there is a very catchy mix of memorable riffs and brutality reminiscent of the first four albums.

I'm gonna have to go ahead and... agree wholeheartedly with this. Very underrated Deicide album, Till Death Do Us Part, and the guitar solos are spectacular. Nothing tops the first 2 or "Stench", but this comes close in its own way

~Guest 389043
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:16 pm 

I need to revisit TDDUP. I have always been a bit quirky with Deicide - I really enjoy the debut (have it as one of the best DM releases ever) though I never clicked with Legion. I also really enjoy Insineratehymn. Looking forward to this new album.

aaronmb666
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 2:49 am 

Excommunicated. Sounds good so far, though that second solo was way too short.

~Guest 389043
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 3:51 am 

Had one listen on Spotify. Had a Stench of Redemption feeling.

Frank Booth
Can Bench 450

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 8:55 am 

Feels like a continuation of In the Minds of Evil, which was honestly the best post-Serpents of the Light album aside from The Stench of Redemption.

schizoid
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:50 am 

I hear buried vocals. Sounds like it could be off either of the last couple of albums.

Gunslinger21
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:52 am 

Definitely not a bad song, pretty stock standard really. It's what I expected, not bad at all but not a standout song.

DarkStep01
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 12:58 pm 

The new song sounds like how I expected it to, and that's completely fine with me.

aaronmb666
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:49 pm 

That new shirt on the preorder page looks kind of dumb, if not overpriced.

true_death
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:58 pm 

aaronmb666 wrote:

I actually thought it looked cool when I saw the thumbnail, but up close...yeah. I also wonder why they're supposedly selling a "box set" but provide no pictures of what it actually contains - just gimmicky bullshit is my guess. Granted, I bought myself both the CD & the bloodshot vinyl, so who am I to say anything...

Anyway, new track is great. Reminds me of Once Upon the Cross/Serpents of the Light-era stuff combined with a bit of Stench of Redemption-esque melodicism. Sounds a bit heavier and more brutal than the last album, at least to me.

jimbies
Noose Springsteen

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 10:05 am 

aaronmb666 wrote:

Excommunicated. Sounds good so far, though that second solo was way too short.

Agreed. There was big potential for that second lead.

aaronmb666
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 4:54 pm 

true_death wrote:
aaronmb666 wrote:

I actually thought it looked cool when I saw the thumbnail, but up close...yeah. I also wonder why they're supposedly selling a "box set" but provide no pictures of what it actually contains - just gimmicky bullshit is my guess. Granted, I bought myself both the CD & the bloodshot vinyl, so who am I to say anything...

Anyway, new track is great. Reminds me of Once Upon the Cross/Serpents of the Light-era stuff combined with a bit of Stench of Redemption-esque melodicism. Sounds a bit heavier and more brutal than the last album, at least to me.

My guess is a band photo, album cover, and that new thing on the shirt. I bought the Stench boxset, thinking it would sell out fast and saw it a few years later on sale. Its a shame how musically, its one of the best, but the cover is awful.

Cat III
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 2:57 am 

Deicide is one classic DM band that never clicked with me. Wouldn't mind giving them another shot. That cover art deserves the hype and shows that a dark aesthetic can be achieved using predominantly white.

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 5:12 am 

Go back and revisit the first two, then. Clean your ears this time. I find it funny that complaining that the solos aren't long enough, did you really want a Stench of Redemption ego-shred fest? May I recommend some Yngwie instead?

true_death
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 8:37 am 

Acrobat wrote:
Go back and revisit the first two, then. Clean your ears this time. I find it funny that complaining that the solos aren't long enough, did you really want a Stench of Redemption ego-shred fest? May I recommend some Yngwie instead?

More like the first four, can't leave out Once Upon the Cross and everybody likes to forget the masterpiece that is Serpents of the Light. Also, there's nothing wrong with the solos on Stench, it's true that there is a little shred/neo-classical influence but it's pretty tasteful, played well against the brutal riffs, and has an impressive amount of feeling and emotion, serving to easily obliterate Eric Hoffman's attempt to do more or less the same thing on Scars. If you ask me, it was Santolla's work with Obituary where the phrase "ego-shred" become applicable...

GuntherTheUndying
Crimson King, Eater of Worlds

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 9:25 pm 

Well that was nifty. I can see flares of Stench in there, as others have pointed out. Not bad, not bad.

Obligatory Last FM Link

aaronmb666
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 9:51 pm 

Acrobat wrote:

I said the second one was too short, being that it's like five seconds. I'd expect something like 20-30 second solos. A Stench shredfest would be awesome.

Spiner202
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 4:46 pm 

Just finishing my first listen now (on the last song) and it definitely sounds like Deicide. Quite similar in vein to the last album, but nowhere near as catchy. There are a few cool parts, but it will need many more listens to sink in. I would rate it 7.5 or 8/10 on first listen, but I also really like Deicide.

Also, Steve Asheim is still a machine. This guy's blasting is just inimitable.

TooBrute
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 4:12 pm 

aaronmb666 wrote:

I agree, it's a horrible shirt design

Why wouldn't they just bundle it with a shirt that has the artwork of the NEW ALBUM?

Also, if you look at the store they're selling the shirt by itself for $26 USD - TWENTY-SIX DOLLARS!

That's overpriced for ANY SHIRT, and especially for a cheap two color t-shirt that cost like $2.00ea to print!

tahu157
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 4:49 pm 

TooBrute wrote:
$26 USD - TWENTY-SIX DOLLARS!
That's overpriced for ANY SHIRT

The last time I went to see Sabaton they were selling their shirts for $75. They had set their ticket prices crazy cheap, like $10 for a three-band show, so I guess they were trying to recoup the money they could have made if they had set ticket prices higher, but somehow I think they would've done better with like $15-20 tickets and $20 shirts.

Bingewolf
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 11:57 pm 

I am always game for new Deicide albums! I gave up on seeing them live a few years ago now, but they were one of the first death metal bands I was introduced to so I'm always excited for new music.

I know it was said previously but love the 'Stench' vibes... One of my favorite records!

Zephirus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 8:29 am 

i'll give this a listen but i've struggled to get into new deicide albums
hope to get a world tour out of them so i can see them live finally
they were one of the first DM bands i was into so they hold a special place, esp the first 4 albums, all great IMO

Sweetie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 10:35 am 

Zephirus wrote:
i'll give this a listen but i've struggled to get into new deicide albums

Seconded. I don't really like much past the third album, other than some tracks here and there. But, I suppose if I go into it with low expectations, it can only be better, right?

aaronmb666
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 10:04 am 

http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/former ... t-records/

Apparently Hammerheart records signed Amon and is reissueing all the Roadrunner releases(can they even do that?)

FirebathDan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 3:49 pm 

aaronmb666 wrote:
http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/former-deicide-members-eric-and-brian-hoffman-sign-with-hammerheart-records/

Apparently Hammerheart records signed Amon and is reissueing all the Roadrunner releases(can they even do that?)

If Roadrunner has the rights to license these out (a near certainty) and Hammerheart enters into a licensing agreement with Roadrunner, then there's fuck all anyone can do about it (mainly talking about the Benton/Asheim camp, as the Hoffmans are clearly on board).

Despite it being only six years old Liar In Wait has not aged well. Neither has Deicide proper, but at least there's a fuckton of nostalgia affixed to the back catalog.
Obliteration

aaronmb666
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 4:21 pm 

FirebathDan wrote:
aaronmb666 wrote:
http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/former-deicide-members-eric-and-brian-hoffman-sign-with-hammerheart-records/

If Roadrunner has the rights to license these out (a near certainty) and Hammerheart enters into a licensing agreement with Roadrunner, then there's fuck all anyone can do about it (mainly talking about the Benton/Asheim camp, as the Hoffmans are clearly on board).

Despite it being only six years old Liar In Wait has not aged well. Neither has Deicide proper, but at least there's a fuckton of nostalgia affixed to the back catalog.

I sure hope Glen and Steve are involved as Eric clearly doesn't give a shit. The "unreleased material" sounds interesting, but Ive been under the impression that they dont have any. Perhaps the original Once Upon the Cross recordings that were too fast.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next