Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Gunslinger21
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 10:35 am 

Amon are releasing a second album? hell yeah, Liar In Wait was a killer album. I like that sci fi themed death metal gig they've got going on. I wouldn't exactly call it technical death metal but some of the riffs on LIW were certainly complex.

Will definitely catch them on tour if they come my way.

true_death
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 12:32 pm 

aaronmb666 wrote:
I sure hope Glen and Steve are involved as Eric clearly doesn't give a shit. The "unreleased material" sounds interesting, but Ive been under the impression that they dont have any. Perhaps the original Once Upon the Cross recordings that were too fast.

I doubt it, Decibel Mag was unable to even do their retrospective Hall of Fame series on the self-titled because the two parties refuse to cooporate on even the most basic level, even if there's a middle man that negates direct contact. If Glen's hatred is so deep that he won't even share magazine space with the Hoffmans, I'd say it's next to impossible for any cooperation on a business front.

And yes, Eric is a total wreck these days - he's falling apart, and Brian has garnered some Blake Judd-like tendencies in his guitar business - some real sketchy shit going on there, a few months back he was caught selling a guitar on Reverb that he had personally crafted for some guy in Australia but never shipped or refunded.

aaronmb666
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 4:20 am 

true_death wrote:
aaronmb666 wrote:
I sure hope Glen and Steve are involved as Eric clearly doesn't give a shit. The "unreleased material" sounds interesting, but Ive been under the impression that they dont have any. Perhaps the original Once Upon the Cross recordings that were too fast.

I doubt it, Decibel Mag was unable to even do their retrospective Hall of Fame series on the self-titled because the two parties refuse to cooporate on even the most basic level, even if there's a middle man that negates direct contact. If Glen's hatred is so deep that he won't even share magazine space with the Hoffmans, I'd say it's next to impossible for any cooperation on a business front.

And yes, Eric is a total wreck these days - he's falling apart, and Brian has garnered some Blake Judd-like tendencies in his guitar business - some real sketchy shit going on there, a few months back he was caught selling a guitar on Reverb that he had personally crafted for some guy in Australia but never shipped or refunded.

I remember some interview where Steve said he provided video evidence of him writing the songs from Scars, to where it made Eric have to sign something so Steve could get royalties, but I dont think Eric has. I believe that Eric wrote two songs and Brian wrote one from that album.

hmi
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 11:19 am 

Gunslinger21 wrote:
Amon are releasing a second album? hell yeah, Liar In Wait was a killer album. I like that sci fi themed death metal gig they've got going on. I wouldn't exactly call it technical death metal but some of the riffs on LIW were certainly complex.

Eric Hoffman posted on FB a few days ago hinting that a second album is to be released. I have my doubts as to how soon it'll be because he posts a LOT but hardly ever anything indicating new music is in the works, and if new music was in the works no doubt he'd be talking about it every day.

But that said, I'm really looking forward to a second Amon album. Say what you will about the Hoffman bros but when it comes to music they are ridiculously talented.

Gunslinger21
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 9:45 am 

hmi wrote:
Gunslinger21 wrote:

Eric Hoffman posted on FB a few days ago hinting that a second album is to be released. I have my doubts as to how soon it'll be because he posts a LOT but hardly ever anything indicating new music is in the works, and if new music was in the works no doubt he'd be talking about it every day.

But that said, I'm really looking forward to a second Amon album. Say what you will about the Hoffman bros but when it comes to music they are ridiculously talented.

Hell yes dude those guys can definitely jam. Its a shame the way those guys all parted ways, but its been a long time since they left Deicide, I'm surprised they don't have at least three albums out by now. Hopefully they can work their personal issues out and get their shit together because if the first Amon album is any indicator, these guys could have a real bright future in today's death metal scene. I personally thought the last few Deicide were actually really good. Typical lyrics, sweet riffs and shredding solos, and I thought LIW trumped all of them. It can really be a much of a muchness with this kind of music sometimes, but I just think if they pulled it together and got touring again they could jumpstart their careers.

I'd pay $100 to see them live, certainly.

Usurp Athor
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 4:48 pm 

true_death wrote:
More like the first four, can't leave out Once Upon the Cross and everybody likes to forget the masterpiece that is Serpents of the Light.

I absolutely worship the first three Deicide but I will never understand why people praise Serpents of the Light. I really don't like the production and the lyrics/vocals are dull.

But from my perspective you're not alone with this opinion. A lot of people seem to like it and consider it a classic. Just not in my book.

cultofkraken
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 12:06 am 

Usurp Athor wrote:
true_death wrote:
More like the first four, can't leave out Once Upon the Cross and everybody likes to forget the masterpiece that is Serpents of the Light.

I absolutely worship the first three Deicide but I will never understand why people praise Serpents of the Light. I really don't like the production and the lyrics/vocals are dull.

But from my perspective you're not alone with this opinion. A lot of people seem to like it and consider it a classic. Just not in my book.

I really like Serpents. The guitar tone is toothless I find but the songwriting to me is memorable and catchy.

Sweetie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 11:19 am 

Serpents isn't amazing but I do like it. Probably the last Deicide album I pay attention to, besides Stench Of Redemption, but that's mostly due to like three songs on it, plus nostalgia.

"Walk With The Devil In Dreams You Behold", "The Lord's Sedition", and the title track all rule! Oh, and if you have my version, it has a pretty sweet Deep Purple cover. ;)

aaronmb666
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 2:39 am 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lo1u-byJqtA
Seal the Tomb Below
Could've easily been on In the Minds of Evil. Good leads.

true_death
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 6:14 am 

Yep, to me the songwriting feels a little tighter and more focused, but it's still sticking pretty close to the "old school" sound they adopted on the last album, which I suppose is for the best. The leads really add a lot of character to it, hope to hear more stuff like that on the new album.

Gunslinger21
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:33 am 

Interesting work with the leads on this one, I wasn't really expecting that. Pretty cool song, but I miss the sick tremolo riffs that the Hoffman's would play. I'll wait and see what the full piece is like though.

Rompestromper
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:14 am 

that link doesn't work for me but this Century Media link works:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SxlvLaXS92k

rexxz
Where's your band?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 10:32 pm 

New track ain't bad but it's kinda basic on the riffs. Overall I enjoyed it but I'd like to hear another song.

MalignantTyrant
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 11:09 pm 

I guess I'm in the minority, but the two singles they released have been a snoozefest to me.

BastardHead wrote:
Of all the people want to bully like a 90s sitcom bully, Trunk is an easy top 3 finish. When I inevitably develop lung cancer I'm going to make my Make-A-Wish request to be to give him a swirly.

Lagartija
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 1:51 pm 

That new song isn't bad, the less annoying vocals are a big plus. I would have to listen to the whole thing to get a better perspective though.

aaronmb666
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 5:06 am 

There are a handful of reviews out if you google it. I really wonder which song is the "judas priest inspired" one.

aaronmb666
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 7:16 am 

So it leaked. Probably my favorite since Stench.

CannibalCorpse
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 4:06 pm 

After hearing 60% of the album I can safely say that it feels like "Stench of Redemption" light in various ways.

Lesser songwriting, monotonous vocals and a lot more lead guitars that impress a little more than the later era fare AFTER "Stench".

Where are Glen's shrieks? I've always enjoyed his newer, more guttural approach but without the shrieks to add variation, one is bound to get bored after a while.

Anyway, not bad, but not all that great either.

Adder's Fork - These Mountains Cast Great Shadows - NEW!
Adder's Fork + Dea Artio/In Dornen/Winter's Breath - A Gathering of Four - Split - NEW!
Adder's Fork - Website
Reviewer for Antichrist Magazine

~Guest 389043
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:06 pm 

Not sure I like the drum sound. The riff on CFTS is pretty different for Deicide IMO. Who's playing bass on this? One of the guitarists or Asheim? Seems a bit more dynamic than last time so thinking one of the guitarists. About as much as I expected from Deicide in 2018.

aaronmb666
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:25 pm 

Everflowingstream wrote:
Not sure I like the drum sound. The riff on CFTS is pretty different for Deicide IMO. Who's playing bass on this? One of the guitarists or Asheim? Seems a bit more dynamic than last time so thinking one of the guitarists. About as much as I expected from Deicide in 2018.

Uh, Glen? On the last album, he spent a lot more time for the bass parts, as the producer wanted more, so Im assuming its the same this time too.
I just watched Defying the Sacred...always found it hilarious how they finally made a video(scars of the crucifix) and it came out really stupid, along with all the other ones.

~Guest 389043
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 12:33 am 

aaronmb666 wrote:
Everflowingstream wrote:

Uh, Glen? On the last album, he spent a lot more time for the bass parts, as the producer wanted more, so Im assuming its the same this time too.
I just watched Defying the Sacred...always found it hilarious how they finally made a video(scars of the crucifix) and it came out really stupid, along with all the other ones.

I didn't think he played bass on the albums. If memory serves me correct, I once read Asheim did. I could be wrong.

aaronmb666
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 4:33 am 

I just watched Defying the Sacred...always found it hilarious how they finally made a video(scars of the crucifix) and it came out really stupid, along with all the other ones.[/quote]

I didn't think he played bass on the albums. If memory serves me correct, I once read Asheim did. I could be wrong.[/quote]

Steve's played guitar on Till Death Do Us Part and I think To Hell With God.

true_death
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 8:32 am 

Glen definitely does play bass on all the albums, though he admitted that he was always forced to rush and "get it over with" so they could get the record out on time, and it wasn't until 'In the Minds of Evil' where he had a chance to sit down and put more effort into it.

aaronmb666 wrote:

I actually thought 'Defying the Sacred' was a pretty cool video - especially the ending, pretty well done...looks inspired by The VVitch (one of my fav modern horror movies), though I think it could've been cooler with some shots of the band playing alongside the storyline. The video for 'Scars' is indeed really stupid and pointless, but the video for 'Conviction' really takes the cake, easily one of the worst death metal video ever produced (though that's not saying much :lol:). According to Steve, they actually rejected that video but Century Media released it anyway.

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 2:19 am 

So this uhh... actually kicks total ass?

I genuinely didn't expect this. I didn't listen to any of the advance previews, I haven't liked anything since The Stench of Redemption (and that was really just a fluke too since the last good one before that was Serpents of the Light and even that one is pretty hit or miss), I'm pretty vocal about how much I don't care for classic bands dragging their careers out decades longer than necessary, I really just figured they would, like somebody else said earlier in the thread, pull a very Deicide move and waste the incredible album art. But no, this one is actually loaded with hooks and heaps of great riffs, not to mention Steve Asheim continues to prove how invaluable he is as a drummer. Honestly I think the X factor may actually be that Glen seems to have nearly totally abandoned his double layered growl/shriek vocals and just focused on low growls the whole time. Oddly enough, by removing one of the most iconic elements of Deicide, they created one of the most Deicide sounding albums in decades.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

aaronmb666
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 3:38 am 

Ended up getting the digital album instead, as I had the cd preordered, just to look at the lyrics etc. The booklet is completely white. They couldnt put part of the cover in it?

Gunslinger21
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 10:34 am 

It's actually a really good album to be honest. It's a pity though, I was hoping they might finish with something different this time, like a ten minute track with acoustic parts, slower parts and faster parts. Bit of a wasted opportunity really, considering they've been playing the same style since day dot, it wouldn't hurt to variate the sound a bit to be honest. But its still a high quality slab of death metal. Will listen to it again today.

true_death
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 12:49 pm 

So in an interview I listened to, Glen Benton claimed that a few years back Deicide recorded a black metal cover of Kansas - "Dust in the Wind" as a joke, and he says it'll probably be released in the next few years, maybe on their next album. Needless to say I would fucking kill to hear that :lol:.

Roc
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 1:39 pm 

Just as others above have posted, I am really enjoying this album! I've been a fan of Deicide since I was 13 years old (I'm 36 now) and like every album up to and including Serpents of the Light. After that the only album I really enjoyed was The Stench of Redemption however I've rarely found myself going back to it.

I went into this new album with an open mind and am very surprised by how good it is and how much I like it! I'm really digging the melodic riffs and grooves, and Glen's vocals kick ass! Steve is still a beast on the kit and it's always enjoyable listening to him play. The solos throughout the album are also really great. Time will tell in the years to come how often I go back to this album but right now I'm digging the hell out of it and I imagine revisiting it just like I do the first 4 albums.

Favorite track so far is Crawled from the Shadows.

Waltz_of_Ghouls
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 6:08 pm 

Damn this album is pretty fucking solid. It doesn't reinvent anything, but it slays. A lot more than late era Decide has any right to.
Fire walk with me"

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3