* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 11:38 pm 

Cover art:

Sample song:

Sounds as incredible as the last two. Possible AotY candidate, for me anyway!

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

mjollnir
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 11:57 pm 

Can't listen to the song just yet but if it's anything like the last two I'd say they're on a roll.

Like your reviews?

Napalm_Satan
Ever-Opening Flower

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 12:11 am 

Been 3 years since Atom By Atom already huh? I'd expect it to be good without hearing the song; these guys have been making nothing but great stuff right from the start, under this name as well as Blind Fury and Pariah.

Also vaguely related - Court in the Act turned 35 this month.

KrigareTjovane
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 1:08 am 

I remember there was a lot of buzz around Life Sentence when it came out but I still never managed to get around to listening to Satan. I have however listened to a couple of Pariah albums. I had no idea until just now they were essentially the same project!

The Doomsday Clock is the first Satan track I've heard, and god damn does it sound fresh. While essentially it can be boiled down as just another NWOBHM track, man it smokes. It's been a long time since I've heard a band playing this style in modern times and got excited about it. I have a feeling I'm going to be making several Satan purchases in the near future.

Also, is it just me or do they have the band logo to end all band logos? Killer.

MrMcThrasher II
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 1:39 am 

Last one I heard was Life Sentence. The album had pretty great writing as a whole but that drum sound was God awful and lame. Did the drumming improve since then?

TheDefiniteArticle wrote:
Also hopefully they take it as a sign they're not meant to make more albums.

Napalm_Satan
Ever-Opening Flower

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 2:05 am 

KrigareTjovane wrote:
I remember there was a lot of buzz around Life Sentence when it came out but I still never managed to get around to listening to Satan. I have however listened to a couple of Pariah albums. I had no idea until just now they were essentially the same project!

Yeah Blind Fury, Satan and Pariah are all basically the same band; I think they've had like one or two changes in singer and a change in guitarist. Their first was released as Satan, their second as Blind Fury, their third as Satan again before releasing their last two as Pariah - this was all in six years from '83 to '89. They then had a reunion under the name Pariah in the late '90s to release another album before disbanding and then in 2011 reformed under the name Satan again.

I've never really seen a band do this, just changing names like that as if it's nothing. :lol: Took me a minute to get my head around their career!

MammothRider
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 10:47 am 

Yea, this rips. The last two records they put out were pretty great, so I'm expecting this one to be as well.

Emanon
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 11:14 am 

Satan is great, and I look forward to checking this out for sure.
Darkness, like a cloak of saffron velvet, surrounds him. Stark trees of stone support the moon and stop the sky from falling in around him. He stands upon his mountain throne, his arms held high, he’s all-alone, ashen face turned towards the sky.

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 11:56 am 

For me, 'Atom by Atom' was their weakest album (under the Satan name; I'm still not keen on Blind Fury and Pariah, but even then it was solid), so I hope this one can stack-up to Life Sentence. The new track is, of course, plenty riffy but hopefully there are some bigger hooks on the album elsewhere.

Oblarg
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 12:45 pm 

Their last two albums are equally good, to my ears, and this looks to be the same. They've got a formula that works, and they're sticking to it.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 5:51 pm 

For my money the last two albums are the best stuff I've heard from the band, even if only by a little. That new song is a serious manic riff-fest and I dug the fuck out of it. Will be checking out the whole thing.

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 6:39 pm 

As with their other recent albums, I predict that this, too, will end up in my yearly Top 10 list. These guys can seemingly do no wrong.

Gunslinger21
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 8:52 pm 

Grouse band, can't wait to hear it.

doomicus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 8:52 pm 

It's quite remarkable how consistent this band has been through their entire career. The amount of artists that are able to stay true to the sound they helped birth while not stagnating and still bringing originality to the table can be counted on one hand. And, on top of all that they still KILL it live. Legends. Will purchase.

g_k
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 1:11 am 

these guys are so fucking good, i love it! it's absurd how they didn't miss a beat after being gone for 25 years.

mjollnir
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 9:59 pm 

Just got a chance to listen...holy fuck! This fucking smokes! I'm really looking forward to this now.

Like your reviews?

Trashy_Rambo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 10:03 pm 

Nothing after Life Sentence has really blown me away so far, but this is a solid tune!

Necrobiotik
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 12:51 am 

Satan is awesome. But they should have released these last albums in the 80's . Still, they rock.

Lord_Jotun
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 9:19 am 

Had a look at the preorder options, and I must say it's kind of shitty that you can't order the double cd or the double lp separately; they're only available as a bundle with both (the second disc includes demos and rarities and such, more details should follow).
Orgiastic Pleasures
Rust
Black Druid Hymns - my projects on YouTube

tomcat_ha
Minister of Boiling Water

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 5:14 pm 

i like how the video actually shows how crude the drummer is

Dembo
Dumbo

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:12 am 

Another song:

Dembo
Dumbo

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 11:22 am 

A third song:

Oblarg
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 11:36 am 

New song is the best of the three, by far. Other two were good, but this one is among their best. Those riffs!

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 12:17 pm 

Jesus I still haven't heard the LAST new one. Glad the fires are burning hot for these legends. Life Sentence is better than Court.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2018 5:07 am 

They keep batting 1000. This album will be good.

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

Zdan
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2018 5:11 am 

That last track is something else. Burning hot riffage and amazing vocal melodies.

fourrobert13
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 9:23 am 

This is another great album from these guys. I've listened to it a couple times this morning. I think it's their best out of the last three they've put out.

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 10:57 am 

First listen was pretty damn incredible. Definitely gonna have to grab a copy of this one.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 11:54 am 

Played the first few songs earlier here at work. Sounds fucking good. Not always in the mood for this band, as they get a bit static at times, but they do their style as well as anyone possibly could. Seems to be more dynamic and varied than the last few so far.

rexxz
Where's your band?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 4:04 pm 

Yep, the new Satan is pretty dope as expected.

Zdan
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 4:25 pm 

Absolutely incredible disc. Might be the best one of the three reunion albums. I hope the version for Japan will have some bonus tracks and be non-digipack release.

CoconutBackwards
Bullet Centrist

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:59 am 

I'm really liking this.
"So, you want to sign songs about your great and glorious invisible cloud daddy? Go right ahead. You have whole tax-free buildings to do that in. I am not only not listening, I am intentionally going out of my way to ignore you."

mjollnir
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 2:22 pm 

2/3 of the way through the album and goddamn is this a fucking killer album. Killer riffs, amazing solos, with clean not compressed production. Brian Ross' vocals are incredible....like he's never aged. This could be AOTY for me.

Like your reviews?

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 7:10 am 

Fun fact, does anybody know why the Metal Blade logo is different on the Satan digipak? It has a bloody axe as opposed to the usual skull and crossed swords logo, which is peculiar. I just got both Cruel Magic and The Passage of Existence and each one of those has one of the logos.

true_death
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 12:13 pm 

androdion wrote:
Fun fact, does anybody know why the Metal Blade logo is different on the Satan digipak? It has a bloody axe as opposed to the usual skull and crossed swords logo, which is peculiar. I just got both Cruel Magic and The Passage of Existence and each one of those has one of the logos.

Yeah, sometimes they use that one for old school-style metal albums, for example Portrait's first two albums for them had that logo (but not the third one, oddly) and Visigoth's latest album also had it. I think it's just an homage to their roots as a label, 80's underground speed metal and whatnot. They even sell shirts and all kinds of merch with that logo on it (but oddly, literally nothing with the guillotine logo they had for 20+ years :lol:).

Anyway, I got the CD (also with Passage of Existence :)) and in a word: fucking amazing. This is a complete masterpiece, beginning to end, if you ask me it's on the same level (if not better) than Court in the Act. Just a total ripper from beginning to end, Ghost of Monongah's got to be one of the best songs of the year, such a killer skull-cracking opening riff, with an unbelievably powerful chorus.

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 1:00 pm 

true_death wrote:
androdion wrote:

Yeah, sometimes they use that one for old school-style metal albums, for example Portrait's first two albums for them had that logo (but not the third one, oddly) and Visigoth's latest album also had it. I think it's just an homage to their roots as a label, 80's underground speed metal and whatnot. They even sell shirts and all kinds of merch with that logo on it (but oddly, literally nothing with the guillotine logo they had for 20+ years :lol:).

Anyway, I got the CD (also with Passage of Existence :)) and in a word: fucking amazing. This is a complete masterpiece, beginning to end, if you ask me it's on the same level (if not better) than Court in the Act. Just a total ripper from beginning to end, Ghost of Monongah's got to be one of the best songs of the year, such a killer skull-cracking opening riff, with an unbelievably powerful chorus.

Oh, nice detail then. I was a bit bummed by the thin paper on the digipak, but my guess is that it's also intended to give it a vintage look. Ha ha, if you did the same order as me then you'll understand what I'm saying when you compare both of them. :D

And yeah, count me in for the love on this album. It's different in its pace but it's a refreshing change, and the whole thing is just as cool as it could be.

StainedClass95
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 10:40 pm 

On first listen, I was vaguely disappointed with CM, but it is growing on me. This album is a bit less immediate than some of their other releases, but I enjoy it more each and every time. I am nearly certain that this will make my AOTY list, probably not at the top, but still on the list.

Necrobiotik wrote:
Satan is awesome. But they should have released these last albums in the 80's . Still, they rock.

The thought has occurred to me about what could have been had they kept the Satan name and essentially released these three after Court in the Act. I have really enjoyed hearing these in real-time, but the heights they could have enjoyed as one of the bigger acts of the late 80s is an interesting what-if.

g_k
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 11:58 pm 

honestly this album took me way more listens than the last two to really like. It's a banger though.

Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 11:27 am 

Wow, GUITARS!!!!!
:lol:

This is great. As usual with this band I'm not always totally into the vocal melodies but Brian Ross is really cool anyway, both as a vocalist and as a person, and I've just kind of accepted it as part of the Satan feel. Plus, you can't deny that he gives everything he's got and sounds great for his age. But again, THOSE GUITARS! That's always been the draw of this band for me and they really don't disappoint. I'll be playing it more, for sure.
Hush and hark, without murmur or sigh,
To shoon that tread the lost aeons:
To the sound that bids you to die.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 11:39 am 

It's pretty amazing how they don't do much different on each album but they're all satisfying as fuck. They've got a Motorhead-level consistent groove going now.

Reply to topic Go to page 1, 2  Next