Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
MyrVarg
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 10:01 pm 

Purely speculation but with Cephalic Carnage I am guessing they haven't put out any new music because I am guessing their old guitarist Zac Joe was such an integral part of the band's sound and was possibly a primary composer they're having a hard time writing new music without him? His other band Vimana sounds a lot like Cephalic at times.

Church13
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 4:30 am 

Ilwhyan wrote:
5 years isn't necessarily that much. Bands with huge tours and massive album productions tend to take that long, even if they're working actively in their tour/write/record cycle. Blind Guardian has been releasing new albums quite steadily, even if the cycle has been quite long. Nobody can claim that they haven't been a very active band in the last two decades, despite having released only 4 full-length albums since Nightfall.

It seems since maybe 2010? the average gap is now closer to 4 years between albums. Think of the elder death metal bands recently, Dying Fetus went 5 years, Suffocation over 4, Immolation 4, Deicide is now approaching 5 soon, and plenty others, but these are all active bands that have long careers of steady releases. I always appreciate bands I love like Anaal Nathrakh that are guaranteed to put out an album every 2 years while I wait for other bands that take 4.

Lord_Jotun wrote:
I wish more bands took their time with their creative output instead of crapping out whatever they can throw at the wall every xx months in order not to drop off the radar of what has generally become a progressively more ADHD-riddled audience.
A few years between records used to be the norm; bands like the Beatles or Creedence Clearwater Revival, who put out so many albums (and non-album tracks) in a short time with little to no drop in quality, gained their legendary reputation for a reason. Nowadays if a band fails to post any update on social media for a rfew months, people start questioning their status. I have to applaud Funeral Mist for their modus operandi: focus on the music, and the music alone.

I do agree with you that the music should always be first, but it is also frustrating at times. As I posted before, Tool are endlessly frustrating, as we have had just one album since Lateralus in 2001. I don't want bands to RUSH their music, but does it really take 12+ years to write an album? Surely if you started even 5 years ago, you've evolved quite a bit in that time and the album is going to be a different representation than you started. In the non-metal realm for example, I'm a huge Hank 3 fan and he has been complete MIA with no new music in 5 years and not a single live date in 4. Back in the old days they didn't have social media updates but bands were also known to release albums in consecutive years or 2 in the same year some times.

Lord_Jotun
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 7:20 am 

Fair points, but we have to remember that most likely these guys all have lives to take care of outside of their respective bands. The days of artists making music for a living are behind us, and matching schedules and raising funds can take a long time. Even touringm, which is where most money to be made is at these days, more often than not needs quite a bit of cash to get started, not to mention any miscalculation can leave bands in even direr straits, especially if daily jobs were quit in order to be on the road.

Also, we must not forget that while techology has certainly made things easier, making a record is still long, hard work, especially when you put some quality control on it instead of releasing every note you pluck while tuning your guitar, Zarach Baal Tharagh style.

Finally, some people are just faster workers than others: more prolific writers, less easily fatigued and what have you.
Orgiastic Pleasures
Rust
Black Druid Hymns - my projects on YouTube

Cheapsteaks
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 3:00 pm 

MyrVarg wrote:
Purely speculation but with Cephalic Carnage I am guessing they haven't put out any new music because I am guessing their old guitarist Zac Joe was such an integral part of the band's sound and was possibly a primary composer they're having a hard time writing new music without him? His other band Vimana sounds a lot like Cephalic at times.

Isn't the bassist also in Havok (and probably a ton of other bands). That would probably make getting together tricky too.

I feel like Evile is reaching that 5 year point. It looks like they are still touring, and Ol Drake is back with them. I remember them being decently big in that initial 2nd wave of thrash.

Conan Troutman
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 5:30 pm 

MikeyC wrote:
Conan Troutman wrote:
Both Atheist and Cephalic Carnage haven't released new albums since 2010. I think Atheist have been in the studio since 2013. I live in hope.

Atheist have confirmed an album this year. Cephalic Carnage, who the hell knows. They still tour but there's been nothing on a new album to my knowledge.

Thanks for the info.

Every so often there's an update from Atheist that makes me think an album is imminent such as signing a management or record deal then they go quiet. Hopefully there will be some definitive update soon.

ModusOperandi
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 5:48 pm 

Cheapsteaks wrote:
I feel like Evile is reaching that 5 year point. It looks like they are still touring, and Ol Drake is back with them. I remember them being decently big in that initial 2nd wave of thrash.

I'd presume they're refining what they started writing before Ol rejoined, or threw it away and started from scratch. Either way, they want to have a new album out sometime next year. Perhaps just as importantly, they're free from Earache.

AT FIRST, I'M NOT AN IDIOT, MORE RESPECT.

Jreg
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 12:23 pm 

Rodrigo wrote:
DRI. They released an EP... But last time with a full length was around... 1995?

I think for many years it was the logistics of having band members spread out in completely different parts of the country (CA, TX and FL) that made it difficult to write new material. They basically were only getting together before every tour long enough to run through their usual set (FYI, this is all info I know first-hand from touring with them 14 years ago, in case it sounded like some kind of conjecture or speculation lol). But I'm pretty sure circumstances have changed in recent years, so who knows...

~Guest 171512
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 4:35 pm 

Shadow Gallery! Their last album came out 11 years ago, and while I think they lost something vital when Mike Baker died, they're still really good and need to make more music. I'm just glad I got to see them live, at least.

And, while it hasn't been five years since their last album, I doubt we'll be seeing anything new from Symphony X for a long time, since Romeo said the band was on hold. (I'm still wondering why their status on MA hasn't been updated to reflect this, as he made this statement a while back.)

grindcrushed
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 4:29 am 

Machine_Dead wrote:
- Benediction - last album was in 2008... they occasionally still perform live, but the busiest bee seems the vocalist who seems pretty active with Anaal Nathrakh the last couple of years. Also the Benediction bassist is doing the Memoriam project at the moment. So I guess maybe the problem lays in the guitar team department? Maybe they're a bit busy on a personal level... ? They've been saying for years a new album is in the works. 'Benediction is a slow moving beast' s what they posted once...

Well, they kicked out the bassist (who's in Memoriam) & replaced him with Daniel Bate (Monument). They're playing shows again & last week posted this on their Facebook page:
"Well, WFF was a blast once again, and the new material felt great to play. Thanks to all who came to see us. While we continue to work on the new album, we're already looking forward to the shows we have lined up later in the year. Speaking of which, here's the final flyer for Eindhoven Metal Meeting!"

So, looks like Benediction are back and revitalised! Must say i'm looking forward to seeing and hearing them again.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 8:37 am 

Thiestru wrote:
And, while it hasn't been five years since their last album, I doubt we'll be seeing anything new from Symphony X for a long time, since Romeo said the band was on hold. (I'm still wondering why their status on MA hasn't been updated to reflect this, as he made this statement a while back.)

Apparently they'll be coming out with a new album soon after all: http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/sympho ... nderworld/

~Guest 171512
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 2:33 pm 

Sweet! Thanks for the news - I had no idea.

Peyp
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 2:23 am 

Apotheosis. Great black metal for fans of Limbonic Art, Diabolical Masquerade and Bal-Sagoth, but he hasn't released anything since his debut from over 15 years ago. He's made it clear to his fans that he still writes and records music, but apparently either he's a perfectionist or his music is on an unparalleled personal level, because he's also stated that he won't release anything again, unless he comes up with something mind-blowing.

Sauron (yes, that's his alias) wrote:
I haven't released shit these past 14 years, and there's no real plan for a release, and I'm still knee deep in cables, and trying out new stuff and putting every cent i have in music, because I LOVE IT! The stuff I warble and grate out of my monitor speakers today is just for me, and if i ever come up with something really groundbreaking or at least good AND particular, I'll share it. I could fake an album every 2-3 years, and put some big ass chords in there, and stabs, and blastbeats, and colossal choirs (and really I got some massive choirs today!) but it would feel like parodying, not creating.

EDIT: I also just realized I'm looking forward to symphonic Fairyland's comeback album, which is being worked on but comes out God knows when, as well as X Japan's comeback (but they haven't made an album in 22 years and the drummer's condition is bad so I don't know how good it would be). And then other stuff from more obscure bands I've grown a liking too, like Natural Spirit, Sirion, Silent Hell, Sigtyr, and Indoraza.

I'm very happy that Blood Stain Child, Cor Scorpii, Dimmu Borgir and Dragonlord released/are releasing albums this year. They would've deserved to be on this list.
Due to the unfortunate reality of our guitarist fucking my girlfriend of almost 7 years WITCHROT will be taking an extended hiatus. I however will continue the band in another space and time... Thanks for the support, stay heavy. Also our drummer died...

RIP DIAMHEA

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 9:51 am 

I'm really glad Sleep doesn't qualify for this list anymore but I'm hoping Om releases something soon, especially since High on Fire is planning something for later this year.

conquer__all
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 10:23 am 

Eternal tears of Sorrow have not released an album since 2013. Great band!

Ace_Rimmer
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 11:06 am 

Lord_Jotun wrote:
I wish more bands took their time with their creative output instead of crapping out whatever they can throw at the wall every xx months in order not to drop off the radar of what has generally become a progressively more ADHD-riddled audience.
A few years between records used to be the norm; bands like the Beatles or Creedence Clearwater Revival, who put out so many albums (and non-album tracks) in a short time with little to no drop in quality, gained their legendary reputation for a reason. Nowadays if a band fails to post any update on social media for a rfew months, people start questioning their status. I have to applaud Funeral Mist for their modus operandi: focus on the music, and the music alone.

Its amazing when you think that Sabbath put out 5 classic albums in a 4 year period. Zeppelin did I-IV in a 3 year span. Bowie was similar among many other classic artists. Did they just have that much more mojo than modern bands? Maybe there was just more fresh new territory to go over.

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 11:08 am 

I think a lot of it also came down to those guys being able to make a living off their music and thus spend more time on it. I mean, there are hobbyists with day jobs who stay prolific but it's pretty hard to pull off for long on a limited budget.

Ace_Rimmer
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 11:34 am 

Twisted_Psychology wrote:
I think a lot of it also came down to those guys being able to make a living off their music and thus spend more time on it. I mean, there are hobbyists with day jobs who stay prolific but it's pretty hard to pull off for long on a limited budget.

Probably, but even huge successful bands often take a 3-5 year schedule for records.

Bowie did 12 records in the 70's! :eek:

Trashy_Rambo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 9:27 pm 

It's been 5 years since the last Jex Thoth album, and to my knowledge they haven't said a word about writing new material. It's also rather interesting that their least metal material to date has also been my favorite!

FirebathDan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 7:14 am 

Ace_Rimmer wrote:
Its amazing when you think that Sabbath put out 5 classic albums in a 4 year period. Zeppelin did I-IV in a 3 year span. Bowie was similar among many other classic artists. Did they just have that much more mojo than modern bands? Maybe there was just more fresh new territory to go over.

Ace_Rimmer wrote:
Bowie did 12 records in the 70's! :eek:

That's because you had to be good at what you do in the 70s.

Studio time and tape reels were expensive, and there was no real home recording option. So you had to come in well rehearsed with clear vision for the songs, and not fuck around and excecute the best performances in the fewest takes.

They didn't have Pro tools to fix things like they do these days. They couldn't spend hours micromanaging the minutae of every beat in every bar for every track on a grid in the quest for "perfection".

Plus, internet culture of today makes it too easy for unjust criticism to be levied. You see it all too often nowadays where if musicians do any bit of improv or ebb and flow or play loosely with a human element, they are savaged in YouTube comments. Basically if it's not 100% note for note like the record right down to the same exact tempo, you get called "sloppy" and a "terrible live band". Which, of course, hurts the bottom line since people coming to shows and buying merch is pretty much the only way bands can try and make money these days.

Point being, bands of today are probably way more burnt on their own material compared to bands of the 70s. Contrast quickly getting the material taped and then having fun with it on the road vs. a belabored recording process and playing the same songs the exact same way every night on tour. The bands of today probably need a break to recharge their creative batteries whereas the bands of the 70s kept it fresh.
Obliteration

Lord_Jotun
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 10:12 am 

Excellent post; lots of very valid points to ponder on.

When talking of exacerbated criticism, don't forget that everyone these days wants to be an audio expert: you don't get discussions about riffs, atmosphere, songwriting, but guitar/drum tone, production, mastering - the irony of which is not lost on me, considering how the vast majority of young listeners experience music through streaming and/or heavily compressed mp3s, most likely through dime-a-dozen earbuds and such.

Boy, I haven't turned 36 yet and already I sound like an old man yelling at clouds :lol:
Orgiastic Pleasures
Rust
Black Druid Hymns - my projects on YouTube

Mockturtle
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:07 pm 

I think Fairyland and Forever Slave would fit in this category.

Grisly Bare
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 2:56 am 

I'm patiently waiting since 2010 for new material from Heathen.

Terri23
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 8:23 am 

Nottingham's Hell apparently qualify. While we all know that Sneap is touring with Judas Priest, the band has been quite active in the last few years. They definitely took time out to lay tracks down around 2016 before the whispers of the new record went dead.

Riffs wrote:
It's been scientifically proven that appreciating Black Sabbath helps increase life expectancy, improves happiness, bumps your salary by 11 thousand dollars annually, helps fight cavities and increases penis size.

Nazgul1974
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 1:31 pm 

What's about Dawn ??? It's been 20 years since the release of their majestic Slaughtersun album.

narsilianshard
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 2:27 pm 

Dawn only became "active" again a couple years ago, because of the Century Media reissues. For some reason MA considers posting nostalgia on social to be "Active", even though they aren't playing shows or releasing new music.

Machine_Dead
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:23 pm 

Grisly Bare wrote:
I'm patiently waiting since 2010 for new material from Heathen.

I think we have to wait for everything to fall in place... First Slayer needs to finish their 'goodbye tour', so Holt can go back to Exodus full-time, so Kragen Lum can go back to Heathen and then it's a matter of Lee Altus finding a gap in Exodus' tour and recording schedule to finally bring his touch to a new Heathen album. And then in between Exodus shows maybe we'll get to witness another Heathen live show... It happened some years ago so it's not impossible..

DeadKid
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 11:06 pm 

FirebathDan wrote:
That's because you had to be good at what you do in the 70s.

Studio time and tape reels were expensive, and there was no real home recording option. So you had to come in well rehearsed with clear vision for the songs, and not fuck around and excecute the best performances in the fewest takes.

This is the biggest reason. And by extension, because recording can be so much cheaper now, there are hundreds of metal albums coming out every month to compete with. Unlike in 1970 when both rock and LPs were relatively new things. So major bands have to put in quite a concentrated effort just to draw our attention to one album in any given year. Also, labels were the ones pushing bands to record new material ASAP to cash in, but they don't hold all the power as to whether an album is possible any more.

I also think that having so much information at our fingertips changes our perspective significantly. People can see that bands have had decades-long careers with a few classic albums, so most are more inclined to space out their own hobby and make their output more meaningful. Plus, there's the distraction of it all. Admittedly I'm not very productive, but I spent so much time discovering other music and going to live shows that my debut album of industrial noise took 10 years to finish!

idunnosomename
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 3:41 pm 

The Red Tower wrote:
The mighty Savatage comes to mind. I'm not sure if this band can be truly called active anymore since the guys are involved with their other projects like Jon Oliva's Pain, TSO, Circle II Circle, ... Maybe it's just one of those bands still existing with minimal activity. Their last album is Poets and Madmen (2001). Definitely like to hear something new!

I think this may have been on the cards when they played at Wacken in 2015, but now Paul O'Neill is dead I really don't think there's the gel there anymore for the band to work.

I do think their post-Criss work is very good, but it was really driven by O'Neill. Even Poets, which gets a lot of flak, but I rather enjoy.

I also can't believe Jon can live much longer unless he tackles his weight problem. Not fat-shaming here, he is simply seriously obese by any standards.

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 11:19 am 

idunnosomename wrote:
I also can't believe Jon can live much longer unless he tackles his weight problem. Not fat-shaming here, he is simply seriously obese by any standards.

Speaking of which, Jon Oliva's Pain hasn't released an album in eight years and the closest thing we got to a followup was Oliva's Raise the Curtain five years ago. It's been rather quiet and I'm rather curious as to what he's been doing aside from that Savatage reunion and vague TSO stuff.

AShallowerVoid
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 12:32 pm 

Here's a plot showing how long is typical between releases.

https://metalstats.wordpress.com/2017/06/06/smells-like-another-graph/

This may also be relevant to your interests.

https://metalstats.wordpress.com/2017/06/05/band-release-activity/

MorbidEngel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 4:24 pm 

Thinking about it, this seems to happen a lot in BDM. Severed Savior haven't done anything in 10 years. Odious Mortem? 11 years. American Disgorge, despite a 5 year breakup, nothing in 13 years. A lot of others space things out a lot too.

ModusOperandi
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 6:01 pm 

^ About Odious Mortem, vocals for the new album will finally be recorded next month so although we're still a while away, at least there's some news in that regard. The whole recording process has been very piecemeal, spread out over the last few years. I'm curious how it will all turn out without sounding or feeling stilted, but I suppose technology has advanced enough to prevent that by now.

With Disgorge, not only did they have songs and an album title, but they actually went back and rewrote all of them, scrapping some completely and adding new ones. At no point, at least that I can tell, has a single note been recorded in earnest. If it ever happens, it'll probably just show up one day with little hype or promotion. The new Flesh Consumed did, and that turned out to be a disappointment for me.

AT FIRST, I'M NOT AN IDIOT, MORE RESPECT.

Evoken
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 9:57 pm 

Saturnus, but since the 2000s they've been releasing music every 6 or so years. Hopefully they put something out in 2018 or 2019.

Grisly Bare
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 1:48 am 

I just realized that it's been 5 years since the last Carcass LP (the EP was just leftover songs from the LP). I need new Carcass. Surgical Steel was a great album.

Pitiless Wanderer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 2:26 am 

I agree^

Pitiless Wanderer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 2:29 am 

The only thing worse than waiting years and years between releases is when the new output finally arrives, but is a total letdown compared to previous work. The last Nokturnal Mortum and Summoning albums both come to mind.

Schmengie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 3:47 am 

Amia Venera Landscape dropped The Long Procession eight years ago. They were this close to dropping Vision I: The Great Mystery just over two years ago before reneging and then dropping off the face of the planet.

Void of Silence finally delivered this year. I haven't given up on AVL.

I believe it was Confucius who said "Life is merely a series of intervals in which one waits for the next Agalloch album."

Aztakea
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 7:13 am 

Ramesses.
Their last release was the Chrome Pineal EP in 2011. They weren't active for some years, between 2013-2016, and since then they've only played a couple of shows here and there but with no new material. Maybe that's never going happen, but I really hope it does, even tough Tim's not in the band anymore. I cross my fingers it does happen sometime in the future because I really love Mark's drumming and I was kind of disappointed by the Dead Witches album and it was a real bummer that things didn't work out with With the Dead (whatever happened there), but maybe the next Dead Witches record will be better now that they have Oliver from Sea Bastard on board, but now I'm rambling... So, to conclude: More RAMESSES please!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UT8lW73jexU

https://aztakea.bandcamp.com/releases

Opus
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 5:53 pm 

Pitiless Wanderer wrote:
The only thing worse than waiting years and years between releases is when the new output finally arrives, but is a total letdown compared to previous work.

Tad Morose

Malbordus
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 5:59 pm 

Let Battle Commence always cheers me up, so where's my new Doomsword album?

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next