Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
narsilianshard
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 12:27 pm 

https://www.facebook.com/enslaved/video ... 928497201/

He cites having a daughter and getting older as the reasons. Even though the core of the band has always been Ivar and Grutle, it's strange to see things change after the 15 years of stability that defined their modern sound and made them as loved as they are. Hopefully they don't bring another young nobody in on drums like they did with the keyboard player; I don't want Enslaved to become a revolving door of mediocre hired guns.

Smoking_Gnu
Chicago Favorite

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 1:11 pm 

narsilianshard wrote:
Hopefully they don't bring another young nobody in on drums like they did with the keyboard player; I don't want Enslaved to become a revolving door of mediocre hired guns.

While I agree this is always a concern, I think the new guy sounds great on both keys and vox (though I hope he uses more of his lower register like he does on that royskopp cover). They seem to have a pretty good eye for people skilled people who fit the band's sound, so I'm not too concerned about whoever they bring in for drums.

narsilianshard
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 1:31 pm 

Sorry, I should have clarified. He did indeed sound great on the new album, but I saw them on the cruise and he was less than great on all the non-E material. I have no doubt they'll always sound pretty solid on record.

~Guest 334273
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 1:59 pm 

Cato is one of the most skilled, powerful and tasteful drummers of the whole genre and an integral part of their new sound.
This is a terrible loss for the band.. but also perfecly understandable :(

I agree that their eye for replacements is great (just look at the albums from Below the Lights onwards) and this will be a really tough spot to get.

BasqueStorm
The Wettest Blanket

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 3:24 pm 

narsilianshard wrote:
https://www.facebook.com/enslaved/videos/10155700928497201/

Thanks! :beer:

Let's see:
http://powermetal.de/news/news-Cato_B_kkevold_verlaesst_ENSLAVED,42312.html

Quote:
20.06.2018 | 19:29
ENSLAVED and drummer Cato Bækkevold will go their separate ways in the future. This was announced by the Norwegian Extreme Proggies on their Facebook channel. Bækkevold himself turned to the fans and explained the reasons behind his departure after 15 years of joint band history.
Decisive is the birth of his daughter. Bækkevold takes his role as a father seriously and wants to be there for the next generation. In addition, as a 49-year-old, he does not feel up to the technical and physical challenges posed to an ENSLAVED drummer.
Replacement is already found. Iver Sandøy, live drummer at Bandkopf Ivar Bjørnson's side project IVAR BJØRNSON & EINAR SELVIK, in which also new keyboarder and singer Håkon Vinje is involved, introduced Bækkevold himself as his successor.
Last joint appearance in the "old" cast will be the Hellfest 2018 in France.

Fuck! I have been listening to (2017) Enslaved - E those last days. :ugh:

conquer__all
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 6:03 pm 

I always thought he was the perfect drummer for Enslaved. I actually got to meet him during the their 25th anniversary show in NYC. Pretty cool guy, we even talked about getting older and not having kids, but I guess that changed for him. I don’t blame him for leaving since Enslaved are always on the road. I wish him the best!

cultofkraken
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 12:40 am 

Maybe Dirge Rep will come back?

~Guest 334273
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 1:15 am 

Iver Sandøy was announced as replacement, i need to check out his back catalog

Reply to topic