Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 



Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Necronipple
Metal newbie

Joined: Fri Nov 23, 2007 4:58 am
Posts: 303
Location: United States of America
PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 2:25 pm 
 

Seasons in the Abyss, easily. It'll always be my favorite of the Big 4.

Top
 Profile  
MRmehman
Metal newbie

Joined: Thu Feb 12, 2015 1:34 pm
Posts: 177
Location: Painted World of Ariamis
PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 6:19 am 
 

at the gaytes wrote:
MRmehman wrote:
I'd say pretty much everything from Megadeth holds up for me. I still listen to Peace Sells pretty regularly although I personally think So Far... is way weaker than the albums before and after it - at least till Risk. I feel like Cryptic Writings has probably aged the best, just because my expectations were so low the first time I listened to it. Hearing Megadeth play Risk live was amazing.

The other three bands I listen to very rarely these days. Metallica's Kill 'Em All is amazingly overrated in my humble opinion and hasn't aged at all well since '83. The song structures is really simple and repetitive on those songs and when you consider the whole album is 51 fucking minuets it wears me down pretty quickly. I usually end up skipping Hit the Lights, Phantom Lord and Metal Militia just to sweeten the deal a little for myself. RTL and MOP are both solid for me though - great through and through.

Slayer's early stuff is really good still and Anthrax's 3rd-5th albums have only gotten better with age.


I think it's funny how Megadeth debut was ultra technical furious speed / thrash metal and they really toned down the intensity on the following albums (the most flagrant example is Peace Sells, with that lame verse riffs and obvious attempt at a sing-a-long hymn). Yet, Metallica obtained much more success starting as a slight aggressive speed metal band and becoming much more thrashy and technical with each album.


I wouldn't say Megadeth started to tone down the intensity of their music till Countdown. Rust in Peace is defiantly not laid back. While I don't really like it, So What... is still pretty fast and technical - I'd say it hits a lot harder than RTL or MOP. The part where my sides split is that Megadeth was supposed to be "heavier" than Metallica but 16 years later they were writing gems like Breadline. BREADLINE TRVE BRUTAL CHRISTIAN ROCK \m/

idunnosomename wrote:
MRmehman wrote:
I'd say pretty much everything from Megadeth holds up for me. I still listen to Peace Sells pretty regularly although I personally think So Far... is way weaker than the albums before and after it - at least till Risk. I feel like Cryptic Writings has probably aged the best, just because my expectations were so low the first time I listened to it. Hearing Megadeth play Risk live was amazing.


In what way?

Kill 'em All is so fun. I think it's the only album where I ended up learning every song on guitar start to finish (obvs a break in Anaesthesia). I can't imagine Metallica playing it all now and it not just seeming horribly embarrassing though.


Yeah, I should have expanded on that.

For me, So Far... So Good... So What... is just really poorly written for the most part. It didn't grab me like Peace Sells did and it has this blending effect for me where songs slowly start to sound alike. I don't remember why but the first time I listened to it, I hated Mary Jane. I can't at all remember why though, something about the chorus I think rubbed me the wrong way. That Sex Pistols cover is shite too, what it's doing half way through the A-side is beyond me. In My Darkest Hour is still one of my favorite Megadeth songs but the rest of the album doesn't do it for me sadly.

As for Cryptic Writings and Risk, almost everything I'd ever heard about them for years when I was first getting into Megadeth was that they're bad, especially Risk. When I got around to listening to them after the rest of Megadeth's discography, Cryptic Writings was a nice surprise. It's one of Megadeth's more diverse offerings, I liked songs like Trust and She-Wolf a lot, overall it's a good contrast to Megadeth's heavier work. That being said, it's still full of filler and weak riffs but it's far better than anything Metallica ended up putting out in the 90's and I don't feel like the £3 I payed for my CD was a waste.

Risk sucks. There's not really any way to defend it as being good but at the same time, I think the heat Megadeth got after it was way too harsh. It's bad but it's not on the level of Danzig 5 or Illud Divinum Insanus. Overall, it's still listenable for me and bits of it are so bad they're good. Like, Breadline is fucking ridiculous, it'd only be better for me if Dave tossed in some references to the almighty light of Christ and how his love is the only addiction you need or something of the sort. The rest of it is kinda catchy in places and I didn't really find anything outside of Crush 'Em that made me genuinely reach for the skip button. Again, I'd say it was more enjoyable for me to listen to than anything Metallica or Anthrax put out in the 90's, just because I couldn't stop laughing at it.

I relate to that last bit hard dude. I learnt the Four Horsemen, Whiplash and Anesthesia on bass and I can honestly say my finger technique only got better thanks to simple, fast tracks like that. It's good fun but I can's sit through the whole album anymore.
_________________
"He who is tired of Candlemass, is tired of life."

Top
 Profile  
CloggedUrethra
Metalhead

Joined: Sat Nov 30, 2002 4:30 am
Posts: 470
Location: Ontario, Canada
PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 11:46 pm 
 

I love these Big-4 threads because it gets my juvenile blood boiling, and my post is going to be pretty juvenile (no offense). For Slayer, I think Show No Mercy sounds pretty dated. You can really hear the cheesy Judas Priest worship in a lot of the riffs/drumming/vocals except many of the riffs here are actually good. This was my first Slayer album and it's my #3. Hell Awaits also sounds dated and while I do appreciate the darker and more evil vibe of the riffs, and the more elaborate wandering song structures, there are way too many bad riffs on this album for it to be considered good. There's not one song on here that I like all the way through. Reign in Blood is pretty good, very to-the-point with lots of good riffs and really extreme, and is my #2. I think the only thing that makes this album sound dated is how there are no blast beats, considering how extreme it is. I do think Angel of Death is very overrated, though. When the opening riff plays the power chord on fret 5, the evil vibe is ruined. The other fast riffs are great, but then when it goes into the mid-paced breakdown section with the guitar playing alone, that riff is completely meaningless. Fav tracks are 3/4/5/6/10. South of Heaven lol. So it went from show no mercy to hell awaits to reign in blood to this? And people weren't pissed off when it was released? It's not even that it's less extreme and more varied compared to Reign in Blood, it's that so many riffs are just awful, even the fast songs. This album is pure 80's rockstar garbage. South of Heaven and Mandatory Suicide are some of the most annoying Slayer songs ever, but I do like Spill the Blood. Seasons in the Abyss is a step up from south of heaven and definitely has some great riffs in track 1/6/9 (and some in 3/10 too), but they're still writing these horribly uninteresting mid/slow-paced songs full of garbage riffs like track 2/4/7. Honestly, those songs are so bad that if I was in a joke-band where the goal was to write shitty mainstream rock/thrash I would write those songs exactly. The drumming on this album is really good though. Divine Intervention is my #1 Slayer album because overall the songs are the best. It does sound pretty 90's though with the annoyingly groovy riffs in track 3/7, and the weird spoken word verses of track 8. But the groovy verses in track 1 mixed with the kinda weird drum beat work really well (and the drumming on this album is crazy). 213 is amazing, THAT is how you write a slow/mid-paced song with good riffs. Dittohead has the potential to be a stinker with the hell-awaits-styled riffing in the opening riff and the verse riffs, but those riffs actually turned out great. The opening riff of Sex, Murder, Art is so good it's like a knife stabbing someone every time the guitar hits a note. Mind Control is excellent and so is the 2nd half of SS3 (too bad the 1st half is crap). Fav songs are 1/2/4/5/9/10 with no bad riffs in any of them.

I feel like no matter what musical genre or era, good riffs never age (and bad riffs were always bad).
_________________
NOSTRIL CAVERNS - death/black/experimental/math/tech/prog/improv since 1997

Top
 Profile  
at the gaytes
Metal newbie

Joined: Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:07 pm
Posts: 106
Location: Bangladesh
PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 8:09 am 
 

MRmehman wrote:
at the gaytes wrote:

I think it's funny how Megadeth debut was ultra technical furious speed / thrash metal and they really toned down the intensity on the following albums (the most flagrant example is Peace Sells, with that lame verse riffs and obvious attempt at a sing-a-long hymn). Yet, Metallica obtained much more success starting as a slight aggressive speed metal band and becoming much more thrashy and technical with each album.


I wouldn't say Megadeth started to tone down the intensity of their music till Countdown. Rust in Peace is defiantly not laid back. While I don't really like it, So What... is still pretty fast and technical - I'd say it hits a lot harder than RTL or MOP. The part where my sides split is that Megadeth was supposed to be "heavier" than Metallica but 16 years later they were writing gems like Breadline. BREADLINE TRVE BRUTAL CHRISTIAN ROCK \m/


I think even the more aggressive songs on Peace Sells and So Far... don't come close to the intensity of the stuff on RTL, MOP and ...AJFA. Too my ears, most of the songs sound too speed metal (My Last Words, Hook In Mouth) or are too mid-paced (Devil's Island, Liar etc), a far cry from the absurd technicality (for the time) and "let's cram as many riffs we can on a 30 minutes album" style of KIMB.

CloggedUrethra wrote:
I love these Big-4 threads because it gets my juvenile blood boiling, and my post is going to be pretty juvenile (no offense). For Slayer, I think Show No Mercy sounds pretty dated. You can really hear the cheesy Judas Priest worship in a lot of the riffs/drumming/vocals except many of the riffs here are actually good. This was my first Slayer album and it's my #3. Hell Awaits also sounds dated and while I do appreciate the darker and more evil vibe of the riffs, and the more elaborate wandering song structures, there are way too many bad riffs on this album for it to be considered good. There's not one song on here that I like all the way through. Reign in Blood is pretty good, very to-the-point with lots of good riffs and really extreme, and is my #2. I think the only thing that makes this album sound dated is how there are no blast beats, considering how extreme it is. I do think Angel of Death is very overrated, though. When the opening riff plays the power chord on fret 5, the evil vibe is ruined. The other fast riffs are great, but then when it goes into the mid-paced breakdown section with the guitar playing alone, that riff is completely meaningless. Fav tracks are 3/4/5/6/10. South of Heaven lol. So it went from show no mercy to hell awaits to reign in blood to this? And people weren't pissed off when it was released? It's not even that it's less extreme and more varied compared to Reign in Blood, it's that so many riffs are just awful, even the fast songs. This album is pure 80's rockstar garbage. South of Heaven and Mandatory Suicide are some of the most annoying Slayer songs ever, but I do like Spill the Blood. Seasons in the Abyss is a step up from south of heaven and definitely has some great riffs in track 1/6/9 (and some in 3/10 too), but they're still writing these horribly uninteresting mid/slow-paced songs full of garbage riffs like track 2/4/7. Honestly, those songs are so bad that if I was in a joke-band where the goal was to write shitty mainstream rock/thrash I would write those songs exactly. The drumming on this album is really good though. Divine Intervention is my #1 Slayer album because overall the songs are the best. It does sound pretty 90's though with the annoyingly groovy riffs in track 3/7, and the weird spoken word verses of track 8. But the groovy verses in track 1 mixed with the kinda weird drum beat work really well (and the drumming on this album is crazy). 213 is amazing, THAT is how you write a slow/mid-paced song with good riffs. Dittohead has the potential to be a stinker with the hell-awaits-styled riffing in the opening riff and the verse riffs, but those riffs actually turned out great. The opening riff of Sex, Murder, Art is so good it's like a knife stabbing someone every time the guitar hits a note. Mind Control is excellent and so is the 2nd half of SS3 (too bad the 1st half is crap). Fav songs are 1/2/4/5/9/10 with no bad riffs in any of them.

I feel like no matter what musical genre or era, good riffs never age (and bad riffs were always bad).


Cool to see someone praising Divine Intervention (in my opinion, the most under appreciated album thrash album ever). But your opinion that RIB sounds dated because it lacks blast beats it's just silly.

Top
 Profile  
CloggedUrethra
Metalhead

Joined: Sat Nov 30, 2002 4:30 am
Posts: 470
Location: Ontario, Canada
PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 12:15 pm 
 

My internet was literally out from the 23rd until yesterday and I come back here and am kinda surprised to see that nobody even told me to shoot myself in the face. Congratulations, you've passed the test.

About RIB, I just think that if an album like that was released today, it would sound like they were going out of their way not to play any blast beats (which would be fine, don't get me wrong).
_________________
NOSTRIL CAVERNS - death/black/experimental/math/tech/prog/improv since 1997

Top
 Profile  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Spiner202 and 12 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

  Print view
Jump to:  

Back to the Encyclopaedia Metallum


Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group