Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Salexor
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 2:27 pm 

As some of you might know, tonight is the Eurovision song contest, a time when all of Europe collectively loses their shit over terrible music and petty nationalism. Apart from Lordi winning 12 years ago there's little of the competition that is of interest to the average metalhead (no Hungary your terrible attempt at metalcore this year doesn't help). So instead I thought it would be fun to create my own Metal-Eurovision, and over the last week I spent hours meticulously putting together a playlist, agonizing way more than I should have to pick one song from every country in Europe. Here's the result:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLv3coDEywtCvE_uEWdSrdNFej0OncQ4g1&disable_polymer=true

48 songs, almost 4 hours of European metal. More than enough to cover the complete coverage of tonights show and then some.

Some qualifiers: I only included songs from the last 6-8 months, except for those of some smaller countries. Also, I only looked at songs with actual videos since Eurovision is as much, if not more, about the performance than about the actual quality of the music anyway. That narrowed the options quite a bit, but to my surprise I was still able to find something from 2017/18 for every country in Europe apart from Azerbaijan, San Marino, Liechtenstein & Monaco.

Apart from that there is no real logic behind my picks, and bands and songs vary wildly in popularity (5.5 million to 33 views), quality(...), language (songs in the native languare had a slight advantage) and genre (pretty much every major genre is included, although the list is probably slightly biased towards the lighter side of metal since that's what I mostly listen to. But still there should be something for everyone on there).

Again, this is by no means a list of the best songs from each country since a) many simply don't have music videos and b) I simply didn't have the time to check out everything. So feel free to yell at me for (not) including certain bands, I could easily make another list of songs I enjoyed for at least 2/3 of the countires included. In the end its a pretty nice list, with mostly good songs on it, and I ended up finding out about a bunch of cool new bands I hadn't heard of before so that's a win.

Anyway, I hope some of you might get some enjoyment out of it as well and maybe even discover some new cool bands in the process!

Also, would people actually care to vote on this Eurovision style? If so I could set up an emailaccount where people could sent scores. Might be fun.

PaganiusI
Zee Bombelecher

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 3:35 pm 

Funny story, the german punk legend "Die Kassierer" tried to get into the german Eurovision pre-contest some years ago and wrote a catchy pop song about how the earth's rotation isn't something you might notice and that it doesn't even make you seasick. Pure nonsense lyrics, but a sound that totally fit the theme of the evening. However the german Eurovision commitee didn't even look at their application.
Here's the official video xD https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYSvyhbl4ag

BTW I'm proposing Cyber Hate from Croatia for the battle:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1a8ELbUcNCE

kluseba
Making Metal Archives Reviews Great Again!

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 9:46 pm 

Cool idea but the only country that would have the guts to send a heavy or experimental band to that contest is Finland.

''Room 819'': http://kluseba.eklablog.com/room-819-a-short-story-a213183053

Operation Pivo
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 11:11 pm 

Quote:
have the guts

Well put. You can only admire the Finns in such an instance for not going the whole 'please validate us' route.

Unity
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 10:21 am 

Well, Hungary's song last night was metal... ;)

cultofkraken
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 4:37 pm 

kluseba wrote:
Cool idea but the only country that would have the guts to send a heavy or experimental band to that contest is Finland.

Didn’t Keep of Kalessin rep Norway one year?

Turner
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 5:00 pm 

They tried this sort of shit at Wacken for a while I think - had bands from a bunch of countries compete for stage time at the festival. Not sure how successful it was tbh, and most of the bands would've been embarrassing "we fight for heavy metal! Hail Odin!"-type bands. So I guess it was exactly like Eurovision... horrible kitsch and half the people watching it likely spend the rest of the year talking shit about shows like the X Factor.

Red_Death
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 5:27 pm 

PaganiusI wrote:

What the fuck did I just listen to? I've no idea who these people are (not really unusual, I haven't been following the local scene all that much), but the song sure was shitty.

Here's some goodness from Istria (they could actually make a hell of a performance for something like Eurovision):

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 1:42 am 

cultofkraken wrote:
kluseba wrote:

They didn't make it to Eurovision proper, but they placed 3rd in Norway's national contest to find a song to send to Eurovision. I liked the song that they entered with, but a lot of people didn't since it's very clearly designed to be a sing-along power rock song and doesn't sound anything like Keep of Kalessin.

Their performance at one of the contest stages did give us this insane performance of "The Divine Land" with Alexander Rybak on violin though. It wasn't mimed either, unlike literally everything else ever at a Eurovision-related concert that isn't vocals.

Also, that Hungarian band this year is garbage.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

Paganbasque
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 2:55 am 

Petty nationalism? well, I dont know since the majority of songs are sung in English. One of the things I liked from Eurovision was that the general public could listen to songs in different languages.

I am one of the few ones who actually like to follow the event, because I always find a bunch of good pop songs between all the shit. And well, I actually liked Hungary´s song, the last part was pretty heavy and it was refreshing to listen to something similiar on this event. I am pretty sure that I will never listen to something similar on the mainstream radios in Spain.

PaganiusI
Zee Bombelecher

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 6:24 am 

Turner wrote:
They tried this sort of shit at Wacken for a while I think - had bands from a bunch of countries compete for stage time at the festival. Not sure how successful it was tbh, and most of the bands would've been embarrassing "we fight for heavy metal! Hail Odin!"-type bands. So I guess it was exactly like Eurovision... horrible kitsch and half the people watching it likely spend the rest of the year talking shit about shows like the X Factor.

You mean the Wacken Metal Battle? That does still exist and seems to be quite popular.

~Guest 277521
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 8:49 am 

Yes a lot of the music in Eurovision is trash, but it's really all about the show and how Europe comes together for a night of debauchery and bad TV. Personally, I really enjoy it haha. Hungary's song was such an absolutely horrible core song though.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 4:04 pm 

I'm honestly kinda surprised Orphaned Land has never tried to be a part of Eurovision for Israel. You'd think that would have happened by now. They probably would actually do pretty damn well, what with all the ethnic influences in their music.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

SanctuaryCat
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 6:04 pm 

I love Eurovision, it's one big party with some occasional catchy pop songs and lots of entertaining trash.

Thanks for the playlist. I'll give it a spin now.

cultofkraken
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 6:23 pm 

Subrick wrote:
cultofkraken wrote:

They didn't make it to Eurovision proper, but they placed 3rd in Norway's national contest to find a song to send to Eurovision. I liked the song that they entered with, but a lot of people didn't since it's very clearly designed to be a sing-along power rock song and doesn't sound anything like Keep of Kalessin.

Their performance at one of the contest stages did give us this insane performance of "The Divine Land" with Alexander Rybak on violin though. It wasn't mimed either, unlike literally everything else ever at a Eurovision-related concert that isn't vocals.

Also, that Hungarian band this year is garbage.

Oh man thanks! That was very enlightening and that second performance was wild.

Woutjinho
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 6:30 pm 

The contest doesn't mean anything. Most of the Dutch population know these artists going to the audition are going to suck but some people too stupid to have an actual job and have a career as unimportant hostings and quizmasters think they are the new Beatles and kiss ass in case they are right.

So why do you want to apply this to the metal scene? Other peoples opinions on music are incorrect.

Atomization - Spotify

Sepulchrave
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 3:02 pm 

Red_Death wrote:
PaganiusI wrote:

What the fuck did I just listen to? I've no idea who these people are (not really unusual, I haven't been following the local scene all that much), but the song sure was shitty.

Here's some goodness from Istria (they could actually make a hell of a performance for something like Eurovision):

Having Po' metra crijeva on Eurovision would be amazing, svaka čast. Would be a great troll a la Rambo Amadeus.

Lagartija
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 2:00 pm 

Paganbasque wrote:
Spain.

Hey, we had Chiquilicuatre. It doesn't get much heavier than that...

Paganbasque
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 4:50 am 

Lagartija wrote:
Paganbasque wrote:
Spain.

Hey, we had Chiquilicuatre. It doesn't get much heavier than that...

Uff, I try to forget that song, seriously. I can´t understand why this song received a single vote.

Reply to topic