Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
~Guest 343918
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 3:19 am 

schizoid wrote:
Based on this track alone, I'd say Demonaz is the better rightful owner to the Immortal name.

This has most certainly been remarked upon before, but it strikes me hilarious and also pathetic how Abbath teamed up with King Ov Hell, who also lost a band name trademark lawsuit – quite rightfully so, as well. What we now need is an Immortal-Infernus collaboration!

SculptedCold
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 12:14 am 

Malefikant wrote:
Abbath's vocals are as essential like those of Cronos for Venom, if they are not there then it's not the real deal.

I'm a big fan of Abbath's vocals, so much so that I was more in the "Abbath camp" of the Immortal debacle, but I disagree with the 'real deal' comment. What do BM and Immortal fans want, to generalize a popular opinion? I mean, what's more important? The music, or the vocals?

For a new Immortal record, I'll take a chance on aggressive, 2nd-wave, early Immortal-styled BM without Abbath vocals over another All Shall Fall/Abbath pt. 2 with Abbath vocals any day. Yes, it sucks that the voice of Immortal is gone, but what's that next to the music? Immortal's original sound has nothing new to offer metal, sure, but is Immortal's epic latter-day sound any less saturated or familiar?

EpicSceptic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 8:34 am 

Just listened through the Abbath debut again and got to say it's a pretty solid album, and a very enjoyable listen overall. The album starts very strong and there are only 3 songs that don't demand your attention.

This new Immortal track is almost certainly better than anything on there, but I'm also going to try my best not to expect too much from the album. At the same time I'm really hoping everything is this good and we have an album that can only be rivalled by At the Heart of Winter and maybe Battles in the North.

~Guest 394415
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 10:18 am 

Last edited by ~Guest 394415 on Mon Feb 10, 2020 7:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
blackmantram
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 10:58 am 

I completely disagree with vocals not suiting the immortal style. They are absolutely spot on.

rexxz
Where's your band?

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 11:55 am 

Malefikant wrote:
Abbath's vocals are as essential like those of Cronos for Venom, if they are not there then it's not the real deal.

It's real enough for me because this song was awesome and so were the vocals, on top of being very fitting for the sound. So, no.

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 1:01 pm 

Also, Venom have been significantly better off with Tony Dolan on vocals since, oh, 1989. :P

Malefikant
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 4:03 pm 

Both Venom and Immortal ceased to exist after their fourth album. Everything else is fake news.

Unorthodox
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 4:21 pm 

Very impressive. Very good production, does a very good job progressing from All Shall Fall. Reminds me of a more polished version of Battles in the North.

Also, Demonaz' vocals- yeah, that's about 1,000 times better than the cheeseball Abbath croaks.

DeadXManiac
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 5:01 pm 

Demonaz killed it with the vocals, much more vicious and more of a range than Abbaths monotone croaking.

Last.fm

henkkjelle
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 5:50 pm 

Oh shit, this sounds great! Absolutely furious vocal delivery. Much better than Abbaths recent output.

Turner
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 4:09 am 

Hasn't reinvented the wheel but this is a solid tune. Definitely (and very likely pointedly) a throwback to the albums where Demonaz was the much more prominent member. Realistically, Abbath's songwriting domination over that band needed to end - ATHOW is unquestionably masterpiece material, but barring a few solid tracks on Sons of Northern Darkness, Abbath-majority Immortal is 50/50. All Shall Fall is boring as fuck - I think I listened to it about 3 times before I admitted defeat and gave up. Damned in Black isn't bad as such, but being sandwiched between two much better albums just makes it irrelevant and forgettable.

In any case, this track makes me really keen to see where the band goes with the new album. I'm just hoping this wasn't them throwing their bestest/fastest/most old-schoolest track at us first to hype the album up with nothing else to back it up...

BrutalizerUtilizerOfTheShadows
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 1:00 pm 

I've listened to the song twice and really dig it. I didn't know what style to expect from it, but this is certainly welcome.

Turner wrote:
In any case, this track makes me really keen to see where the band goes with the new album. I'm just hoping this wasn't them throwing their bestest/fastest/most old-schoolest track at us first to hype the album up with nothing else to back it up...

I was wondering the same thing. I will be okay with whatever they do, and definitely wouldn't mind hearing some slower viking metal driven tracks. As for the comparison with Abbath, I really dug his debut, and I like this a lot as well. I don't see a reason to "pick a side," because as far as I'm concerned: they're both putting out quality music. If anything, this is a good thing because now we have two amazing bands!

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 1:26 pm 

I know it's more the "true Immortal" style to be fast and riffy all the time, but I'd still be totally fine with a few songs being in the style of the Demonaz solo album. Not the rest of the album, obviously, and I don't think that'll be the case based off this first song, but I'd be fine with it.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

FuneralReaper
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 9:28 am 

This is actually pretty decent, the changeup halfway through is nice. should be better than all shall fall but immortal are still highly guilty of recycling their ideas so I don't expect a revelation

~Guest 343918
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 3:02 am 

Nine (9) different vinyl colours? NINE!? Well, there's going to be some dank unboxing videos for me to ignore in the future.

HypnoticDissonance
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 4:31 pm 

I thought it was good, interesting with Demonaz on vocals.

flexodus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 2:42 am 

first time hearing this and the thrashy quasi breakdowns at 1:30ish and 3:00 sounds straight out of Hell Awaits. I liked the last two albums but this is super exciting and a welcome change of pace. Seems like not many classice second wave BM bands have cranked out a straightforward banger like this in ages.
my sister does nothing but forcing me to listen to Gothenburg/melodic metalcore albums all day while refusing to listen to regular death metal

BasqueStorm
The Wettest Blanket

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 3:58 am 

Vigintiseptem wrote:
I couldn't open the previous links, but Nuclear Blast has a lyric video up. Fantastic song, fuck Abbath and his lame solo gimmick band.

So, Immortal is back FINALLY! :hyper:

P.S: I STILL find the lyrics cheesy. Give me some (1993) Immortal - Pure Holocaust style ones, please.

terrordread
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 3:28 pm 

Decent song! I also like the aggression here - hope it points towards good things to come.

Mamont
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 5:38 am 

I just listened to the song and this is really good. Old school Immortal.

asphaalanx
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 6:39 am 

The full album is quite solid. I prefer it to 'All Shall Fall'. Though I've only listened to it twice, in full.

BasqueStorm
The Wettest Blanket

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 6:52 am 

asphaalanx wrote:
The full album is quite solid. I prefer it to 'All Shall Fall'. Though I've only listened to it twice, in full.

Has it leaked?

Spoiler: show

BasqueStorm
The Wettest Blanket

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 2:56 pm 

That's interesting:
http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/immortals-demonaz-on-what-inspired-him-to-start-a-band/

Quote:
IMMORTAL's DEMONAZ On What Inspired Him To Start A Band
June 11, 2018

On July 6, Norwegian black metallers IMMORTAL — now consisting of lyricist/guitarist Demonaz (real name Harald Nævdal) and drummer Horgh (real name Reidar Horghagen) — will release their highly anticipated new album, "Northern Chaos Gods".

Demonaz tells us about the band's beginnings and what inspired him to start a band in the underground metal scene of the early '90s: "I have always been into the dark side of music, like early BLACK SABBATH; they were the riff masters. Then heavy metal music, thrash metal, underground black and death metal bands emerged. After singing and playing guitar in my first death/thrash metal band, I wanted to start the ultimate band in 1990. I had the name IMMORTAL in my head and started to recruit members. I never felt we were a part of any scene. We had close contact with other black metal bands from Norway, but we were all busy working on our own. I listened to bands like CELTIC FROST, VENOM and BATHORY — they were the ones that inspired me to make dark and evil music. Our first vinyl release was a seven-inch with two tracks in 1992, and then the first IMMORTAL album, 'Diabolical Fullmoon Mysticism', followed the same year.

"My very first inspiration to start IMMORTAL came from the environment I grew up in. The cold winters, the dark woods near my home, the great mountains and glaciers. I wanted something unique to bind the lyrics and music together so I created Blashyrkh, which means 'the realm of all darkness and cold' and is based on the dark and cold side of nature.

"Blashyrkh is spiritually the driving force. It holds the identity to IMMORTAL's music: The throne of Blashyrkh, named 'Mighty Ravendark', where ravens dwell on the top of the mountains and are the eyes of Blashyrkh. The mighty mountains, cold, frost, fire, darkness, woods, storms, wind and fimbul winter. The harshness of nature is a never-ending, grim and dark inspiration to me. A part of the mysterious force that surrounds us and slowly erases everything. It wins in the end, because it is timeless and without rules. And thereby my fascination. It is not religious in any form. It's a deep fascination and respect for nature built on instinct. I see pride, power and greatness from the dark perspective.

"Late nights in the woods, breathing fire, embracing darkness, being obsessed by nature, the moon and winter. I'm still fascinated by the same things as in the early days of black metal. It never stopped and that's what makes me able to keep the spirit alive. I walk the woods to the mountains every day or in the night, no matter what the weather or conditions. It's a drive that brings me in balance with music. It inspired all my writing. Every riff, line, word and song of IMMORTAL through the years has been in my ears, and in my head from the deep forests and all the way to the frozen mountaintops.

"In 1997, I got diagnosed with tendinitis in my left arm. I never stopped playing or composing but had to reduce my playing time. It became difficult to rehearse for what was required for playing live. We continued to work like before with the music, and had some different session bassist over the years.

"In 2012, I had an arm operation. I recovered and could play on a normal level again a year later. I created the first guitar riffs for this album in late 2015, when we got rid of our internal problems and could focus on music again. All songs were finished in 2016 and it was a relief to record the guitars at this level again on the new IMMORTAL album 'Northern Chaos Gods'.

"These days, I really look forward to finally see the release of the full album on the 6th of July. So far the reactions from the fans has been awesome from the title track single 'Northern Chaos Gods' that we released on the 25th of May."

"Northern Chaos Gods" was produced by Peter Tägtgren (Abyss Studio), who also helmed IMMORTAL's "At The Heart Of Winter", "Damned In Black", "Sons Of Northern Darkness" and "All Shall Fall" LPs.

Demonaz is now also handling the vocals for IMMORTAL following the 2014 split with frontman Olve Eikemo (a.k.a. Abbath).

In addition to Demonaz (vocals, guitar) and Horgh (drums), IMMORTAL's new disc features Tägtgren on session bass.

IMMORTAL in 2016 said that the delay in getting the new music out to the fans was largely a result of the split with Abbath. "From 2010 until 2014, IMMORTAL wrote all the songs for the successor to 'All Shall Fall', but when ex- member Abbath left the band in 2014, he changed the lyrics, songtitles and recorded these songs for his so-called 'solo album,'" Demonaz and Horgh explained. "We had to focus on making a new album nearly from scratch, which is the main reason why things have taken this much time."

~Guest 226319
President Satan

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 5:36 pm 

"Highly anticipated" eh? Tepid interest from some oldbies more like. Demonaz sounds like a cool guy to go camping with, however!

cultofkraken
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 5:45 pm 

John_Sunlight wrote:
"Highly anticipated" eh? Tepid interest from some oldbies more like. Demonaz sounds like a cool guy to go camping with, however!

Highly anticipated by me. Guess I’m an oldbie. Wooooo

Dooders
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 5:13 pm 

Immortal are one of my favorite bands including all era's and always happy to hear more news from Demonaz or Abbath. Really enjoying both camps musical directions! Definitely one of my most anticipated this year as well.

BasqueStorm
The Wettest Blanket

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 3:01 pm 

BasqueStorm wrote:
That's interesting:

More:
http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/demonaz-wanted-to-make-new-immortal-album-northern-chaos-gods-as-grim-dark-and-cold-as-possible/

Quote:
DEMONAZ Wanted To Make New IMMORTAL Album 'Northern Chaos Gods' As 'Grim, Dark And Cold As Possible'
June 17, 2018

Metal Wani's editor in chief Owais "Vitek" Nabi recently conducted an interview with guitarist, lyricist and vocalist Demonaz (real name: Harald Nævdal) of Norwegian black metallers IMMORTAL about the band's forthcoming "Northern Chaos Gods" studio album. You can listen to the entire chat below. A few excerpts follow (transcribed by BLABBERMOUTH.NET).

On the nine-year break between studio albums for IMMORTAL:

Demonaz: "Well, it was a long time. We've been busy. After all the complications we had, we could focus on the music around 2015. It's been a process of writing, making pre-productions, going into the studio, and also, we had to wait a little bit for access to the studio. It's been a process and a long time for the fans to wait. For us, it's been work all the time in a way."

On whether "a lot of work" went into creating "Northern Chaos Gods":

Demonaz: "We don't think there was when we're working. When I was bringing the riffs into the rehearsal room, the first song we made was the opening song, 'Northern Chaos Gods', and then, I had written the first lyrics and it inspired me to write the rest of the album. We took it from there. There was no big plan. It was more like working like we always did, the same process, but it's like you have one song and you build it from the next one and when you have five or six songs, you see the end of the album and you know this kind of riffs and atmosphere will be there for the rest to make some variety, also."

On whether "Northern Chaos Gods" represents both IMMORTAL's storied past and future:

Demonaz: "I can agree with that. Like I said, there was no plan to do this album or make it sound like this. It was hard, but we always do it, but you have to go with a gut feeling and you develop a kind of style of guitar playing or guitar riffs, it's guitar-based music, so it's like you have to just follow your gut-feeling and do your best and I think we put a lot of energy into it. We didn't want to have any deadlines. We work on our own terms. We were never a deadline band. Also, to make sure that there is no compromise for us all the time."

On his return to full-time guitar duties in IMMORTAL, a position he originally held until 1997 when he was sidelined with a debilitating arm injury:

Demonaz: "I never stopped playing the guitar. I just had to take it down a level because I had a problem with my left arm. In 2012, I had surgery for the shoulder. They found the muscle was broken, so they had to put it together and I had a recovery for nine months. Four of those months with no playing at all. It was really bad. After I recovered, my arm was good again. It's like I never stopped playing, so it's not like I suddenly woke up and started playing again. [Laughs] It's like you said, I understand, in a way, we just followed our gut feeling and I tried to make a better album than the one before."

On trying to silence naysayers who thought now-departed guitarist/vocalist Abbath was the primary songwriter and driving force behind IMMORTAL:

Demonaz: "You cannot think about that in the situation we were in. We just moved on. We just leave the complications and just focused on music and worked the same way we always did. Starting from scratch in 2015 after the arguments and everything. It was like, we just had to move on. It feels natural. We just did it the same way and tried to put the most IMMORTAL elements into it and make it as grim, dark and cold as possible. Also, I started this band, I think it was in 1990. For me, it's natural."

On what he wants fans to take away from listening to "Northern Chaos Gods":

Demonaz: "I think that it's like, if we feel it when we make the songs and if we get the drums, the guitars and the bass and the vocals and everything and also the lyrics, we just want to put it into that one-hundred and ten percent IMMORTAL package where the listener can take it in. They know it's IMMORTAL. They can hear it. It's a signature of its own. That is what I want the fans to experience. I want them to go as deep as they can into this music and also with this song, 'Mighty Ravendark', you just want them to get into that same feeling that we have."

On whether IMMORTAL will tour behind "Northern Chaos Gods":

Demonaz: "Until now, it's been a step-by-step process with the album and now it's promotion. There's been mixing and everything before. So, the whole plan is to go home after the promotion and everything now and start in the rehearsal room to make plans for the next step which is live. So, we don't have any breaking news at this day, but you will know it."

On how IMMORTAL will fill out their live lineup:

Demonaz: "I will do all the vocals and we will have a guitarist and a bass player."

"Northern Chaos Gods" will be released July 6 via Nuclear Blast. The disc was produced by Peter Tägtgren (Abyss Studio), who also helmed IMMORTAL's "At The Heart Of Winter", "Damned In Black", "Sons Of Northern Darkness" and "All Shall Fall" LPs.

In addition to Demonaz and Horgh (drums), IMMORTAL's new disc features Tägtgren on session bass.

rexxz
Where's your band?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 3:12 pm 

John_Sunlight wrote:

You should check out their twitter and facebook. Lots of people, old and new, are really looking forward to this album.

Sick6Six
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 11:12 am 

Another new song - Mighty Ravendark.
https://open.spotify.com/album/3OTp68XbzGE29ca5StYnuF

Zephirus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 11:24 am 

bog standard immortal with that new one

BasqueStorm
The Wettest Blanket

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 2:44 pm 

Sick6Six wrote:

Thanks! :beer:

~Guest 285196
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 2:45 pm 

Why would they release the final song on the album? It's a 9 minute epic. I had to listen to on Spotify of course, but not sure if discussing it here is considered spoilers or not?!

It's fucking awesome! :D

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 3:13 pm 

BasqueStorm wrote:
Sick6Six wrote:

Thanks! :beer:

Already removed. :(

~Guest 354281
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 4:59 pm 

Sick6Six wrote:

It's not a bad song, problem is it's also very unimaginative, sounds like every BM song ever made. Very safe and half assed approach there.

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 3:36 am 

I agree that it's predictable; but to me it sounds like Immortal doing Immortal and not generic, as you would put it. That's like criticising Priest for sounding like Priest or Maiden for sounding like Maiden. It's a typical Immortal closer, but a stirring one at that. Demonaz channels Blood Fire Death and the results work. Another fitting example of why he's a more powerful guitarist than Abbath. It is weird releasing the opener and the closer, but I guess this one in particular will make more sense in context.

asphaalanx
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 7:02 am 

BasqueStorm wrote:
asphaalanx wrote:

Has it leaked?

I'm unsure, to be honest. I've had a promo/review copy since the beginning of the month.

Sick6Six
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 10:05 am 

I have only heard the 2 released tracks even though I have been looking for the full album everyday for weeks. Bought the vinyl but will still end up listening to it digitally anyway. I think this is a good closing track and shows that they can still do furious aggressive songs and slower epics (hopefully only 1-2 slow songs) I really love the production, it seriously sounds like the best parts of pure holocaust and SoND combined.

We just want Immortal to sound like Immortal I think, which IMO, All Shall Fall was not even close. I’m surprised at the general acceptance and enjoyment of ASF. I tried really hard to like that album, but it was the biggest let down ever for me. I even saw them play 5 songs from ASF live and Norden on Fire was the only good one. ASF had such weirdly forced riffs (see song 2) and weird drum timing that did not lend itself to head banging at all. There were also a total of zero blast beats and only 1 fast double bass section on the entire album. So unless these 2 songs are way better than the rest of the new album, I think we still have a big winner. Hopefully it won’t be years/decade before the next, everyone is getting old!

P.S. Tyrants is a boring ass song that I always skipped

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 4:51 am 

The album has leaked.

Sick6Six
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 9:25 am 

^Yeah, I listened to it about 8 times since yesterday. I obviously had unreasonably high expectations and it surpassed them :hail: Finally an album where I can't pick a favorite song, just like the good old days.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next