Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
true_death
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 8:23 pm 

Today Krisiun announced that their new album will be called "Scourge of the Enthroned" and it will be out September 7th, 2018 on Century Media Records. In the video, Alex mentions it will be much faster and more brutal than their recent output, which really perked my ears up. I'm a fucking diehard Krisiun fan and while I definitely appreciate the more "epic" direction of their later material ("Southern Storm" is my absolute favorite Krisiun album, a fuckin' masterpiece - even fucking Bill Ward agrees :lol:), I would love to hear the band return to their classic sound from the "Black Force Domain" to "Conquerors of Armageddon" era.

The title sounds like classic Krisiun, and I think it would look just beautiful under some gorgeous Joe Petango art but maybe, that's just me :)

Here's the video in which they talk about the new album:
https://www.facebook.com/centurymedia/v ... 9eY87Llx2I

~Guest 389043
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 10:02 pm 

Will buy it but prefer they announce it a month or so out - 4 months out is a bit much. This is death metal, no need to "build" up a release so far out.

SculptedCold
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 12:18 am 

Yes, please be the band that actually delivers on the talk and returns to their old sound. The malevolence has been missing for a while now. I like Krisiun when they're unceasingly blasting out repetitive sawing paranoiac riffs. The shinier, more polished, more 'varied' Krisiun of the last 15 years doesn't stand out much any more. And Forged In Fury....

Yeah, I hope they do indeed call on the old gods for this.

BrazilianStorm
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 3:20 am 

After 2008 they put a little of grooved "deathcore" influence in their riffs that's why I do not like it too much as the classics Works Of Carnage and Conquerors Of Armaggedon

schizoid
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 12:07 pm 

LOL, 4 month hype for a mid tier death metal band. Release a song, maybe then I'll start giving a fuck.

Temple Of Blood
Old Man Yells at Cloud

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 12:15 pm 

Looking forward to it!

blackmantram
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 12:28 pm 

schizoid wrote:
LOL, 4 month hype for a mid tier death metal band. Release a song, maybe then I'll start giving a fuck.

While I like their earliest stuff and consider them to be way more than "mid-tier" band, I pretty much agree with this.

ModusOperandi
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 12:58 pm 

That’s a really odd thing to take umbrage with considering they’re probably still recording right now or nearing post-production which would actually make for a fairly quick turnaround from studio to street release. There wasn’t even any mention of a new album this year prior to this by the band or anyone, so would you guys have rather continued to not know until August or something? I don’t get it... whatever.

The last three albums + “Black Force Domain” are peak Krisiun for me but I’m fine with them taking a step back towards something for straightforward and visceral this time. It’s cool to see how they and Andy Classen have been this working pair and know how to get the best and desired results. He’s one producer I presumed would be more prolific in death metal by now considering that. Another strong album for what will be another great year for the genre.

AT FIRST, I'M NOT AN IDIOT, MORE RESPECT.

true_death
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 9:14 pm 

BrazilianStorm wrote:
After 2008 they put a little of grooved "deathcore" influence in their riffs that's why I do not like it too much as the classics Works Of Carnage and Conquerors Of Armaggedon

I don't know about "deathcore" but beginning with 2005's Bloodshed there is a lot of Pantera influence in their sound. I prefer the classic stuff too, but I also understand why they tried to change things up...Conquerors is a masterpiece but it's hard to really do something like that time and time again and keep it fresh. Plus, I'm sure Max Kolesne wants show he can do something other than just blast for a change :).

SculptedCold
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 11:00 pm 

Classic damned if they do...
While it's true that sticking to one approach (especially one as straightforward on paper as old Krisiun) gets old fast, staid death metal legacies often get a lot of leeway, even support, for sticking to stylistic guns. The sheer hell of the first 3 records is classic, unique and atmospheric DM to me in a way that the cleaner, more staccato-percussive (modern) albums aren't.

Don't get me wrong, I loved hearing the shift on Works of Carnage. It was different and new then. I still love most of Assassination, and the more natural approach to Great Execution made that record sound pretty good too. But... god I want the relentless, punishing, bestial hell back! I'm not sure if Krisiun ended up influencing more than a few great bands and records in their part of the world, or much beyond, so it'd be great to hear the masters get savage again. Glossy DM full of chug and staccato is so saturated.

Oddeye
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 10:16 am 

Looking forward to this! I didn't like Forged In Fury that much but The Great Execution is pretty great and Southern Storm is simply a beast of an album.

Last edited by Oddeye on Thu May 10, 2018 10:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Temple Of Blood
Old Man Yells at Cloud

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 10:17 am 

To me, Krisiun has gotten BETTER over the years. I think their new albums are far catchier and more listenable than their early ones.

To me, brutal DM is one of the few genres where bands seem to improve as years go on.

I feel that Origin is the same way. I hated their first few albums but am really impressed by some of their later material.

SculptedCold
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 9:32 pm 

^ Couldn't possibly disagree more re Krisiun and Origin! But to each their own. I'm glad those bands are still making some folks happy.

Want to note that Krisiun isn't BDM, though.

praey
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 10:55 pm 

I liked most of their recent albums but Forged in Fury was boring and unmemorable. The production was probably the best part, with the exception of the vocals which sounded much less powerful than usual. I think one of the problems with Krisiun is that, unlike other death metal bands that formed around the same time (Sinister, Vader, Deicide etc.), Krisiun have maintained the same lineup and haven't introduced any new blood to the band. While that's commendable they've stuck together and consistently been putting out material, I think adding new younger members were a big part of why I enjoyed the latest albums of the aforementioned bands. The new Sinister album, for one, absolutely fucking crushed my sack last year. That said, the potential is always there for Krisiun to blow us away with another Southern Steel, so there's always hope.

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 8:35 am 

I like everything this band has done except for the last one, which really hit a weak spot. I know what they can do and at their peak they can be as brutal as any band, so we'll see what this one is like.

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

BrazilianStorm
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 7:33 am 

What a surprise find a good and active metal forum in current days in internet even more about Krisiun. So guys I am new to this site if there's something I can add to this topic is that Max Kolesne is a real beast alive I went to their concert back in Works Of Carnage tour that was unbelievable night for me the walls just came down with Venom cover and I still remember everyone in the house singing with fury and horns up in the hands the chorus of Conquerors of Armaggedom song lol I think the date was May 10, 2003 in São Luís MA - BR . Keep it infernal!

hmi
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 3:03 pm 

Temple Of Blood wrote:
To me, Krisiun has gotten BETTER over the years. I think their new albums are far catchier and more listenable than their early ones.

To me, brutal DM is one of the few genres where bands seem to improve as years go on.

Same here. I never got into their earlier and more classic albums. I love their middle period/2000s stuff, with Bloodshed probably being my favorite. Their last couple of albums have been a little disappointing though.

true_death
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 4:11 pm 

The artwork has been revealed:

Loving the cover, definitely a step up from the mess that Joe Petango gave them for their last album (I still have the poster of the album art hung up on the wall for some reason :lol:). Anyway, looks like the pre-order and first single will drop July 12th!

SculptedCold
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 2:15 am 

Niiiice. The Ageless../Conquerors.. vibes are strong with that art! I hope the music follows suit.

Church13
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 9:12 am 

I really did not like Forged in Fury a whole lot and checking the archives, it has a painful 50%. I am at least happy to hear it will supposedly be faster than recent output, hopefully being code for Forged in Fury was shit.

halfformedfetus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 10:58 am 

I really hope this is like the older material, i really got bored with the band after AssassiNation. The older stuff was so barbaric and ruthless, high hopes as that artwork is killer!!

ModusOperandi
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 3:42 pm 

Can we just have only Eliran Kantor (and Zbigniew Bielak, Mark Riddick, and a very select few others) make everyone's artwork from here on out already? He knocked it out of the park yet again with this one.

AT FIRST, I'M NOT AN IDIOT, MORE RESPECT.

MikeyC

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 4:15 am 

Church13 wrote:
I really did not like Forged in Fury a whole lot and checking the archives, it has a painful 50%. I am at least happy to hear it will supposedly be faster than recent output, hopefully being code for Forged in Fury was shit.

I like everything Krisiun has done except for Forged in Fury so I'm hoping for the exact same outcome as you.

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

Pedr00
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 5:47 pm 

Demonic III from the new album.

MikeyC

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 8:57 pm 

Not too bad. My speakers are not very good so I lost a bit of punch, but I think this will at least be better than their previous disappointment.

ZarathustraHead wrote:

true_death
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 12:54 am 

God, what a fantastic fucking song. They weren't kidding, they've taken a complete 180 from Forged in Fury - song is fucking brutal and savage, likely the most intense Krisiun has sounded since Conquerors of Armageddon though without totally abandoning their modern 'epic' sound. I'm also impressed with Alex's vocals...thought he was starting to lose his voice on the last one, but this is easily the most brutal performance he's given in years...nice, organic production too (even though the shitty mp3 rip kind of mars it)...color me impressed, if this is a sign of things to come it could be an AOTY contender, at least for me...

SculptedCold
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 3:00 pm 

That sound quality is awful. Can't tell if it's because of YT or production or what.

But anyway, yeah, that's some of the best Krisiun songcraft since the old days. Blows away anything on the last 4 albums for me, and it sounds like a good middle ground between the old and modern styles.

Can't wait for this to drop now.

cultofkraken
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 3:19 pm 

Had it blasting in my car. It definitely sounds huge, really needs a full sound system to be appreciated I think. Alex sounds like peak David Vincent with that brutal yet articulated delivery, pretty damn fantastic.

PurpleDoom
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 3:20 pm 

Well that song fucking ripped. Definitely put this on my radar for new releases.

Pedr00
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 7:56 pm 

Listen to the album now. Really enjoying it!!

Pitiless Wanderer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 7:37 am 

The bass drums are making this album almost impossible to listen to. It's a shame because the songs are crafted pretty well, and it's an intense effort. But holy fuck this production and mixing is a joke.

true_death
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 8:30 am 

Haven't heard the album because Cmdistro hasn't even shipped the fucking album yet :lol:. What a fucking joke......

~Guest 389043
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 1:40 am 

It's an ok album. I tire of the blasting.

madman101
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 2:05 pm 

The new album rips and I am of the camp that even though Forged In Fury wasn't that great, they have gotten better over the years. I'm in the minority here but I think The Great Execution is their best work. This new one is absolutely better than Forged and the shorter album/songs are much better suited for this band. It really beats you into submission and doesn't drag on.

true_death
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 6:45 am 

Pretty great album, they managed to bring back the brutality and intensity of their classic works while still retaining the variety and strong songwriting of their newer material...everything I ever could've wanted (and more, in some cases - particularly with that closing track...fuck!). Hard to say if this will really be an AOTY contender like I said in a previous post, but it's definitely great and really cool to hear Krisiun cut the crap and just be themselves with some very straight-forward stuff.

Reply to topic