Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 4:36 pm 

Everflowingstream wrote:
Be nice if drums sounded like South of Heaven or Piece of Mind but those days are long gone.

Ther'es no reason at all that drums can't sound like that nowadays. All it really would take is more artists making a conscious choice. if they're not doing that, I imagine that says more about them than it does about modern times/recording techniques.

I can only speak for myself, and I'm hardly in a "big" band, nor a top-class drummer. but I'll only ever record live drums. No sample replacements. I don't really see that there's any excuse except if you are for some reason forced to record drums in an apartment building. I have nothing against machines or electronics; hell, I enjoy a good amount of electronic music -- I just love the feeling and sound of bashing away at "real" drums and I don't think that's replaceable in a rock or metal context.
Hush and hark, without murmur or sigh,
To shoon that tread the lost aeons:
To the sound that bids you to die.

Ace_Rimmer
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 4:50 pm 

Granted I love Neil Peart's work during the 80s when he was using electronic kits, but he's Neil Peart and would make chopsticks on a bucket sound amazing, but I don't get not mic'ing your drums and trying to get an amazing natural sound in the studio. You would think better mics, better recording, gear, more knowledge would leave to hi-fi nirvana, but nope.

Sure if your artistic statement required that sound sure, but "well its quicker and cheaper to just do it this way" ends up with forgettable drums that sound like fake shit in too many cases. And I get why a small outfit does it since its all they can do, but big bands? Annoys me to no end.

Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 5:23 pm 

Maybe if smaller bands are recording in pro studios where time is money and they only have a few hours to record. But nowadays, small bands can also go DIY. Sure, the recording process itself can be a real challenge, especially for inexperienced people (like my own band), and I actually agree with what Rexz said above. But if your drummer has a drum kit, mic that kit and spend as long as you need to getting the right sound and recording it. Instead of investing in studio time, why not invest in gear, learn how to use it properly, and keep it in your rehearsal place, wherever that is?
Hush and hark, without murmur or sigh,
To shoon that tread the lost aeons:
To the sound that bids you to die.

Temple Of Blood
Old Man Yells at Cloud

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 8:39 pm 

Yeah, I like that Bomber drum sound but they are just playing hard rock. You pretty much never hear anyone in metal have drums like that anymore.

ModusOperandi
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 1:02 pm 

The doom/stoner/sludge/etc. genre umbrella in general never really deviated too far from using natural tones and analog production, drums or otherwise, and more of those bands are waving that flag higher and prouder than ever today. I’d presume a lot of black metal that doesn’t use programmed drums isn’t very far behind.

AT FIRST, I'M NOT AN IDIOT, MORE RESPECT.

Wrldeatr
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 6:05 pm 

I also blame Sneap and those who aspire to sound like him. That sterile sound he imparts on all instruments is just dreadful and kills metal.

WingedOctopus
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 3:58 pm 

I do not buy the excuse that drums sound bad because of programmed drums. Programmed drums can sound very natural. Here is a video of Kévin Paradis (Benighted) comparing programmed and acoustic drum sounds: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m4QbTH81OF4 The dynamic examples around 4:00 are particularly impressive.

I also do not believe that drums need to sound terrible to cut through the mix. Drums can sound natural in a balanced mix. Ex: https://darkdescentrecords.bandcamp.com ... ood-part-2

PvtNinjer
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 5:24 pm 

There are so many metal bands in so many metal subgenres playing with so many different drum sounds (among others) that it seems ridiculous to say that modern drums suck in general. I mean, even in genres which are known for their "bad" drum sound, like tech death, this is really wholly dependent on what the listener's subjective criteria for good drum sound is. I mean, it would be ridiculous to expect the reverbed to death drum sound of 80s priest on an Archspire album.

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 5:28 pm 

I'm a big fan of Mari's drum sound in Mary's Blood.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MLM2unV0kwU

If that tone is considered bad, then I don't wanna hear "good."

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2