Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
leatherandtrash
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 10:08 pm 

I'm extremely excited about this one. The first two albums were integral to my journey into extreme metal. And from the sound of the single this one is going to be a heavy hitter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SJ7Ao2ZZVNc

After several listens, I am thoroughly impressed and will totally forgive the mediocrity of Get Damned if the full album is this quality.
This is pretty aggressive with some really cool sorrowful melodies in the hook. I'm really fucking glad they upgraded their look too.

Indecency
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 11:28 am 

What happened with these guys? Have they been broken up all this time?

'The Adversary' was the only song I ever really knew these guys. For some reason, that song stuck out to be before I liked their style enough to listen to more songs.

narsilianshard
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 12:11 pm 

Wow, completely forgot about this band. Listened to them maybe 15 years ago when I was first getting into metal. I assumed this style of Gothenburgcore was long dead; Darkest Hour and Shadows Fall are still together, too?? What are bands like this gonna do without Warped Tour?

cultofkraken
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 12:15 am 

Huh, never heard of this band but I have to admit that was one helluva track.

cultofkraken
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 12:31 am 

Checked out their old stuff. Gotta say this is the only thing I’m digging.

leatherandtrash
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 6:52 am 

Their first album is their best IMO. Although their second, The Darkest Red was a close second. It's a strange album because they looked fucking terrible with emo haircuts and snake bites and the whole deal, but it rips pretty fucking hard and sounds closer to At the Gates or TBDM than Underoath (plus there's a very cool cover of Paint it Black). Mike Williams scream was unparalleled in the metalcore scene of the early 00's, with a lot of Zao comparisons . And for some reason they were signed to Solid State records, so there was a lot of misconception as to whether they were Christian or not (they're not lol).

This new track slays so fucking hard though. If the whole album is this quality, it's likely to be their best. Regardless I'm pretty excited because I felt this band deserved a bit more exposure, a bit more of a chance. Especially considering the third album just didn't fucking do it for me. It sounds as though they're gunning for redemption.

Mysticaloldbard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 12:22 pm 

Pretty impressed with this new track. Not as riffy as their earlier stuff, so this one winds up being more focused and atmospheric. The melodies and tremolo riffs are vaguely black metal sounding. The Agony Scene are one of those bands that managed to bridge metalcore and death metal without becoming deathcore, but in a style too fast/agressive to be lumped in with melodic death metal. Very much in the vein of The Black Dahlia Murder and The Arcane Order, to name but a couple. Though I've never cared much for TBDM, those bands straddle a fine line in genre crossovers that I've heard from few others, and I wish I heard it more often.

leatherandtrash
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 6:59 am 

Christ, this album is going to be a monster....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3sFGnZmuncQ

Pitiless Wanderer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 2:58 pm 

man this sounds pretty bland to me. uninspired and repetitive.

Eradicatedseraphim
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 1:26 am 

I think they sort of resurfaced when a lot of similar bands from the pre-Deathcore era are doing the same only to see their audience is a lot smaller. Like Eighteen Visions dropped a new album and while I think its killer it seems a bit too little-too-late, it doesn't help that these guys are touring with uninspired prog/tech death bands either on Summer of Slaughter. I love them and I can't wait to check out the new album but its going to be an uphill battle when it comes to touring unless they throw themselves on a better touring package

Reply to topic