Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
traxan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 12:38 am 

Post your craziest live crowd shots from YouTube and other sources. I'm betting most will be from South America.

Case in point: this Anthrax performance of "Indians" in Chile. When they light those torches and Joey screams "War dance!" the whole place becomes giant vortex of a mosh pit. Absolutely incredible.

https://youtu.be/vPHtKp_HhwM?t=4m18s

Runner up: AC/DC in Buenos Aries. That's a full soccer stadium going nuts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QMvE0yFnR0I

at the gaytes
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 9:28 am 

schizoid
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 9:39 am 

That Indians footage was glorious. Is there any crowd cam of Caught in a Mosh for the same gig?

Temple Of Blood
Old Man Yells at Cloud

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 10:11 am 

The craziest one I've seen personally was when I saw Sepultura in Atlanta in 94.

jimbies
Noose Springsteen

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 10:26 am 

I haven't found video of it, but Pantera/Morbid Angel in March 5th 2001 in Dayton, Ohio was one of the craziest I've seen.

~Guest 220079
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 11:12 am 

Personally, Ozzfest at Alpine Valley (about 45 minutes west of Milwaukee) in 1997. A mix of beer-belly, leather vest wearing Sabbath/Ozzy fans, rabid Pantera fans, and a small smattering of gothy Marilyn Manson fans. We had lawn seats, and when Pantera came on stage it looked like one of those old cartoons featuring fighting animals in a dust cloud with an occasional paw sticking up. Chaos in the front-middle lawn and there was no stopping it. Manson followed Pantera, and most of the crowd hated their guts. At this point, a couple from the pavilion bailed and gave us their stubs and we relocated, happily. Then the bottles and chunks of turf came toward the stage when Manson played, and he said (I'm paraphrasing) "You motherfuckers back there have horrible aim", and the floodgates opened. It was amazing looked behind me and seeing a sea of turf coming toward the stage and trying to dodge it at the same time. Dimebag came on stage to rally the crowd to no effect (Peter Steele was in the wings as well). However, all was well when Ozzy came on and it was like a getting together with friends in the garage having a beer.

On video, there was a clip on Invisible Oranges' blog some time back showing a hard core show back in the 90s in Boston (?) where tables, chairs and anything not nailed down was being tossed willy nilly.

Twilightkid
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 11:18 am 

that I have witness personally...

Prodigy @ Hammerstein Ballroom, NYC in 97 or 98.....

not metal but utter chaos for 85 minutes non stop...

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 1:11 pm 

Lamb of God at Mayhem Fest in 2010 in Hartford. It had rained pretty bad earlier in the day, leading to the lawn at the Meadows becoming a giant mud pit. When you mix drunk, rabid meatheads with something that can be easily picked up and thrown far distances, it leads to some pretty chaotic surroundings, and that's exactly what happened. The entire lawn turned into an enormous game of target practice, with literally everyone there digging up mud out of the ground and throwing it wherever the fuck they wanted, including down past the lawn into the reserved seating area. The giant tron screens above the seats were a common target for mud, and several patrons succeeded in sticking the landing, and I personally got smashed right in the face with a giant slab of grass and wet dirt. Never seen anything like it before or since at a big outdoor show. After Lamb of God finished, one of the promoters of the festival comes onstage and tells the whole lawn to knock it the fuck off or else they will stop the show right then and there.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

gizzard_puke
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 8:53 am 

I never caught Bolt Thrower live but this looks as good as it gets \m/

traxan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2018 5:43 pm 

I'm used to really sedate Japanese crowds, so this Maximum The Hormone show is off the damn chain.

MrMcThrasher II
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2018 10:49 pm 

Not the craziest, but the Sleep crowd was more violent than I expected in Santa Cruz when I saw them maybe 4 years ago.

TheDefiniteArticle wrote:
Also hopefully they take it as a sign they're not meant to make more albums.

~Guest 354281
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 3:09 am 

In all live shows i attend i do this completely insane thing i see no one else doing. I'm well aware of the consequences of revealing such outrageous information but here it goes:

be ready... here it comes... i look at the stage and actually watch them play while actually listening to the music with just some moderate headbanging and/or horns display

i know, might be better to have my head checked for brain lesions at some point

Crescent_Moon
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 3:24 am 

this. 700k, perhaps more.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_W7wqQwa-TU

TheMysticWombat
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 5:08 am 

Somar wrote:
In all live shows i attend i do this completely insane thing i see no one else doing. I'm well aware of the consequences of revealing such outrageous information but here it goes:

be ready... here it comes... i look at the stage and actually watch them play while actually listening to the music with just some moderate headbanging and/or horns display

i know, might be better to have my head checked for brain lesions at some point

you think I can't multitask and get in the pit and actually listen to the music and actually watch them play and actually headbang moderately and throw up the horns?

the future is now, grandpa

Crescent_Moon wrote:
this. 700k, perhaps more.

There were at least 1 million people in that crowd, and people died

My contribution: skip to 8:50. Brujeria are getting huge again
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbDjOWJf8-8

~Guest 354281
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 2:26 pm 

TheMysticWombat wrote:
you think I can't multitask and get in the pit and actually listen to the music and actually watch them play and actually headbang moderately and throw up the horns?

the future is now, grandpa

nice

the closest I get from multitasking is having my right hand busy while browsing with the left, a simple misspell and suddenly i'm watching some really weird and disturbing stuff

Thexhumed
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 2:51 pm 

The Chilean crowd is pretty wild

tahu157
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 7:51 pm 

Copy and paste of a reddit post:
Quote:
Local show, hardcore band decided it was a good idea to put hooks through drunk guests...there was a guy hanging from the ceiling by hooks through his back, and a midget with hooks through his arms also hanging. Both were being pushed and swung by some other guy, who at a few points jumped on the two who were hanging. The blood dripped and the pain on their faces was agonizing just to watch.

Meanwhile, two chicks entered the middle of the pit, secured to each other by hooks through their back, pulling as hard as possible away from the other. The whole floor was soaked with fucking blood and it was fucking disgusting. I guess it wasn't that dangerous for those uninvolved, but holy shit it was insane. The security guards fucking stopped what they were doing and just looked on with the rest of us with our jaws on the floor, and we all just stood there, some filming, all sort of headbanging to the music but not ever paying attention to the music.

To this day, I don't even know if they were any good or not and I've long forgotten their name, I couldn't even bring myself look them up because it was so fucking disgusting
Source: https://www.reddit.com/r/Metal/comments ... e_been_to/

Not sure that I believe that one at all, really.

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 8:24 pm 

MrMcThrasher II wrote:
Not the craziest, but the Sleep crowd was more violent than I expected in Santa Cruz when I saw them maybe 4 years ago.

I saw them here in Indianapolis a month ago and there was moshing. Not even like slow pushes, but people getting punched and shit. I could understand some movement during the fast section of Dragonaut but you're seriously gonna do that shit during Anarcticans Thawed or Sonic Titan?

Necrobiotik
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 5:11 am 

That Exodus show where the vocalist orders the crowd to split in two and then make a great mosh/"battle".

https://youtu.be/2aw2UdWGwjQ

0:42 :lol: looks like a train station where i live in the peak hours.

Rodman
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 1:38 am 

Most insane live crowd?

Probably those lifers at San Quentin when Metallica recorded the video for 'Frantic'.

jimbies
Noose Springsteen

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 8:36 am 

Rodman wrote:
Most insane live crowd?

Probably those lifers at San Quentin when Metallica recorded the video for 'Frantic'.

*St. Anger. :durr:

Ace_Rimmer
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 10:54 am 

tahu157 wrote:
Copy and paste of a reddit post:
Quote:
Local show, hardcore band decided it was a good idea to put hooks through drunk guests...there was a guy hanging from the ceiling by hooks through his back, and a midget with hooks through his arms also hanging. Both were being pushed and swung by some other guy, who at a few points jumped on the two who were hanging. The blood dripped and the pain on their faces was agonizing just to watch.

Meanwhile, two chicks entered the middle of the pit, secured to each other by hooks through their back, pulling as hard as possible away from the other. The whole floor was soaked with fucking blood and it was fucking disgusting. I guess it wasn't that dangerous for those uninvolved, but holy shit it was insane. The security guards fucking stopped what they were doing and just looked on with the rest of us with our jaws on the floor, and we all just stood there, some filming, all sort of headbanging to the music but not ever paying attention to the music.

To this day, I don't even know if they were any good or not and I've long forgotten their name, I couldn't even bring myself look them up because it was so fucking disgusting
Source: https://www.reddit.com/r/Metal/comments ... e_been_to/

Not sure that I believe that one at all, really.

I think whoever wrote that watched too much Hellraiser.

MrMcThrasher II
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 11:15 am 

Twisted_Psychology wrote:
MrMcThrasher II wrote:

I saw them here in Indianapolis a month ago and there was moshing. Not even like slow pushes, but people getting punched and shit. I could understand some movement during the fast section of Dragonaut but you're seriously gonna do that shit during Anarcticans Thawed or Sonic Titan?

I think they opened with the first 20 or so minutes of Dopesmoker and when that break hits when the drums first kick in I accidentally got knocked over because who expects that shit at a Sleep show?

TheDefiniteArticle wrote:
Also hopefully they take it as a sign they're not meant to make more albums.

Rodman
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 6:44 pm 

jimbies wrote:
Rodman wrote:
Most insane live crowd?

*St. Anger. :durr:

Either way, it was cruel and unusual punishment.

Necrobiotik
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 3:50 am 

Rodman wrote:

Either way, it was cruel and unusual punishment.

Lol wut?

DecemberSoul
Mirties Metafora

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 3:31 pm 

Wouldn't it be equally interesting to know which nation's crowd is considered the lamest by world-touring bands? I mean that seriously. Does anyone have any knowledge on that?

Timeghoul
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 10:52 am 

One that I was at personally was Municipal Waste. Only a few thousand people, at a smaller venue. I was up front, but realized the entire audience behind me was a mosh pit. At one point the singer told the audience he wanted 5 crowd surfers passed up front at once. I recorded the crowd surfing part, because at that point the entire place was completely crazy. In classic old man fashion, when I went to watch it I realized I had my phone set to take a photo.

Quote:
Now for a higher level song like Moth Into Flame. I specifically remember getting in trouble at school for hearing this the day it was released for having my phone out and then defiantly saying to my teacher Fuck off Im listening to a new Metallica song

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 11:04 am 

DecemberSoul wrote:
Wouldn't it be equally interesting to know which nation's crowd is considered the lamest by world-touring bands? I mean that seriously. Does anyone have any knowledge on that?

There is that old age stereotype about how Japanese concertgoers stand motionless and clap politely, but I'm not sure how much truth there is to that.

rexxz
Where's your band?

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 11:42 am 

That mostly applies to sporting events, not heavy music. Japanese crowds definitely get into concerts.

Lagartija
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 2:09 pm 

gizzard_puke wrote:
I never caught Bolt Thrower live but this looks as good as it gets \m/

Damn it to fuck, I never caught them either and watching things like this really makes me want to bash my head against the wall.

traxan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 10:14 pm 

Twisted_Psychology wrote:
DecemberSoul wrote:

There is that old age stereotype about how Japanese concertgoers stand motionless and clap politely, but I'm not sure how much truth there is to that.

Funny you should mention that. This video likely won't last long because the band's management is super aggressive on takedowns, but this 2015 festival crowd in Japan is as nuts as I've ever seen them. Of course it's Maximum the Hormone on stage.

The start and around 16:00 mark are truly insane.

Reply to topic