Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
IX Leviathan
Bepsi

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 1:57 pm 

miskatonic79 wrote:
Chaosmonger wrote:
HIPSTERS

Yep!!! The fact this shit ass band is even on the archives is quite baffling.

Wow, what a pair of piping hot takes right here. Is it 2013 again?

Both songs are fantastic, seems they're veering further away from BM and towards a more post-rock based sound. Getting more vibes of the Euro screamo scene as well with each release. Looking forward to picking up the vinyl!
Like holy shit can't you get black out drunk and fist fight someone over a value pick burger in the drive thru and not hear about it for the rest of your life?

IamDBR
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 4:15 pm 

Gave it a shot because it wouldn't leave my recommendations. Sounds like sadboy rock with bm vox, not for me.

TheMysticWombat
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 10:46 pm 

miskatonic79 wrote:
Yep!!! The fact this shit ass band is even on the archives is quite baffling.

bitch ass nigga

I wasn't a big fan of Honeycomb, but goddamn Canary Yellow really fucking hit the spot. I might see them for the 4th time on this next tour if they play this whole album just like they did with New Bermuda.

GuardAwakening
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 8:27 am 

The album is pretty excellent, I think most fans of Deafheaven scrutinize the shit out of their discography, theyre always like "this album doesnt have dissonant jarring riffs like the last one so it's not good"

It's like sheesh, just enjoy what they put out even if it is different.
But I will admittedly say that the rock influences on this album are a lot more prominent however, and that's not a bad thing at all. Still very enjoyable music.

jimbies
Noose Springsteen

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 8:48 am 

Canary Yellow is one of the best songs of the year, imo. I feel it all really came together on that one.

FirebathDan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 8:54 am 

Yeah, I can admit when I am wrong, and I was way off in my assessment on the previous page. This album is outstanding.
Obliteration

k311250
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 10:00 am 

Not my cup of tea, their previous albums were a lot better imho. Too much stuff going on, too dispersed and the Dinosaur Jr. solos aren't working at all.

FirebathDan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 12:09 pm 

Absolutely flabbergasted to see the song "Honeycomb" from this album nominated for a fucking Grammy award, to be given in the 2019 ceremony.

Weird accomplishment, being only the third metal band in history that could loosely be called "extreme" to be nominated (following Cradle Of Filth in 2005 and Meshuggah earlier this year; unless you count Gwar, Slayer, or Lamb Of God as "extreme"-which I personally don't).

I never realized Deafheaven was this "big"-I would've thought they'd be a bit too obscure for something along these lines. Doesn't color my perception of their music at all, and this album was pretty close to the top of my year end list, I was just taken aback when I read this.
Obliteration

Osore
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 5:32 am 

FirebathDan wrote:
Absolutely flabbergasted to see the song "Honeycomb" from this album nominated for a fucking Grammy award, to be given in the 2019 ceremony.

Boring song (and awful video), especially compared to "Canary Yellow". I guess they are new to Deafheaven and all of this sounds interesting to them.

PvtNinjer
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 2:04 pm 

Definitely not the song that I would pick from this album, Glint is much better imo. Overall, I'd have to say that this album, while not horrible, was pretty disappointing.

k311250
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 3:46 pm 

FirebathDan wrote:

Weird accomplishment, being only the third metal band in history that could loosely be called "extreme" to be nominated (following Cradle Of Filth in 2005 and Meshuggah earlier this year; unless you count Gwar, Slayer, or Lamb Of God as "extreme"-which I personally don't).

I never realized Deafheaven was this "big"-I would've thought they'd be a bit too obscure for something along these lines. Doesn't color my perception of their music at all, and this album was pretty close to the top of my year end list, I was just taken aback when I read this.

I don't think Deafheaven are more "extreme" than Slayer or Lamb of God. Just different I guess.

henkkjelle
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 3:56 pm 

k311250 wrote:
FirebathDan wrote:

I don't think Deafheaven are more "extreme" than Slayer or Lamb of God. Just different I guess.

If you're familiar with black metal song structure then sure, but for the average mainstream music listener Deafheaven will probably be seen as far more extreme than Slayer or Lamb of God. Those bands at least have conventional song structures.

FirebathDan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 4:51 pm 

“Extreme” being relative in this case. As much as I love their music, I can acknowledge that Deafheaven is hardly the most extreme band out there.

But relative to this whole Grammy context, “Honeycomb” is probably the most comparatively extreme song ever nominated.

This song has extensive blast beat sections and is completely devoid of anything resembling melodic vocals.

Cradle Of Filth was nominated in 2005 for “Nymphetamine (Overdose)”. So yeah, there’s like 5 seconds of blasting towards the end and yeah, you have Dani Filth’s vocals, but this song is completely softened by the lengthy section of Liv Kristine’s vocals.

Meshuggah is probably the next closest thing in terms of “extremity”. In fact, it can be argued that Meshuggah surpasses Deafheaven here in some ways by also having completely unmelodic vocals, but the polyrhythmic instrumentation is far more out there and hard to listen to/difficult to follow than Deafheaven. What Deafheaven has is the long form linear song structuring-this is a long song with no repeating parts. Meshuggah at least has something resembling “choruses”.

Lamb Of God also has unmelodic vocals, but the riffing and song structuring is incredibly conventional. Same with Slayer only their vocals are melodic. Gwar, they have the shock lyrics, but that’s just about it-they basically write pop metal songs.

I know this is for naught, as the Grammys never get this category right anyways. I’m just making some rambling observations, I guess.
Obliteration

k311250
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 5:34 pm 

henkkjelle wrote:
k311250 wrote:
FirebathDan wrote:

If you're familiar with black metal song structure then sure, but for the average mainstream music listener Deafheaven will probably be seen as far more extreme than Slayer or Lamb of God. Those bands at least have conventional song structures.

I'm sorry but I disagree again. I think to the average mainstream music listener Deafheaven are a lot easier to listen than most of Slayer's stuff. Deafheaven are a lot more melody-oriented than slayer and the agression is very subtle. If Honeycomb was instrumental most people wouldn't have a problem with it. It even has standard solos and at least half the song is generic post rock. Come on, there's no way that's more extreme than Slayer. Both Slayer songs that won are the less agressive stuff on Christ Illusion but I still think there's more agression and riffs in those songs than in the Deafheaven one.

Don't get me wrong, I like Deafheaven. This is not a "Slayer are better than Deafheaven" post.

jimbies
Noose Springsteen

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 10:42 am 

While Canary Yellow is probably my favourite metal song of the year, and I don't give a flying fuck about the Grammys, it's very neat to see them nominated (along with High On Fire). I feel the Grammys usually just try to pick a name they've heard before. How many times did Ozzy, Priest or Metallica get nominated for a live track they tacked onto a single or as a bonus track?

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 5:13 pm 

Motorhead once won for playing a song that wasn't even theirs (Whiplash by Metallica). The Best Metal Performance Grammy is a joke.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

Eradicatedseraphim
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 2:37 pm 

Its fine for the post rock sound its going for but its not something i'd revisit, three tracks in and its just kind of drifting in out out of interest for me. The riffs are fine, the melodies are fine, but there's just nothing that sticks out in comparison to Sunbather

MorbidEarth
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 4:18 pm 

FirebathDan wrote:

They ended up losing to High On Fire and their song Electric Messiah which is much better than Honeycomb anyway.

raspberrysoda
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 4:24 pm 

MorbidEarth wrote:
They ended up losing to High On Fire and their song Electric Messiah which is much better than Honeycomb anyway.

i disagree

stainedclass2112 wrote:
It was a joke you darn can of fizzy sweetened liquid

BastardHead wrote:
Somebody is getting murdered but poor razz just wants his beauty sleep.

FirebathDan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 5:09 pm 

I would disagree as well-my personal preference is for Deafheaven. But no shame at all in losing to Matt Pike. He's earned it, no doubt.

I never in a million years thought that Deafheaven would win, I would've though Trivium would be a shoe-in. I just thought it was odd they were even nominated in the first place.

And yeah, as it has been pointed out by others, the Grammys are a joke, yadda, yadda, yadda. Repeating this is like saying water is wet.
Obliteration

MaleficDevilry
Anointer of the Sick

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:54 pm 

I like the Deafheaven album more, but given High Fire and Matt Pike's longevity...they deserved it. Deafheaven will get another shot down the road. The way their sound is evolving almost guarantees it.

Twilightkid
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2019 11:02 am 

band released a new non-album song today....might be the heaviest thing they have written...hope they play it on the next US jaunt...

FirebathDan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2019 11:18 am 

Twilightkid wrote:

band released a new non-album song today....might be the heaviest thing they have written...hope they play it on the next US jaunt...

Crazy. I always wondered what it would sound like if this band were to write full bore, minor-key black metal with zero major-key post rock-isms, and if it would work. This is the closest we get (to date), and it does work. That said, I don't think they will pursue this direction entirely, as the post rock-isms are core to what makes them unique.

Nonetheless, excellent song. Clarke sounds absolutely possessed, and Tracy just slaughters the kit here.

I fully intend to buy some of your hot sauces once I get my life/finances in order.
Obliteration

Twilightkid
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2019 11:30 am 

FirebathDan wrote:
Twilightkid wrote:

I fully intend to buy some of your hot sauces once I get my life/finances in order.

Thank you! If ya do, mention in the check-out notes that you are from the Metal Archives, and I'll hook ya up with some extra's...

alexo666
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2019 3:26 pm 

That new song is fucking fire. Blows away the last album.

Last FM

TheMysticWombat
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2019 4:31 pm 

I'm a big fan of Deafheaven but goddamn the vocals suck in this new song. Not a fan of the intro riff either at all but the rest of the song is good.

MaleficDevilry
Anointer of the Sick

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2019 5:05 pm 

Great song. I'm glad they went all out with this, similar to "From the Kettle Onto the Coil." As much as I like OCHL, I prefer tracks like this, and the majority of "New Bermuda" more.

alexo666
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2019 6:31 pm 

New Bermuda's my favorite as well. Album was fucking great live.

Last FM

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2019 10:43 pm 

Yeah, that song ruled. That was better than most of Ordinary Corrupt Human Love, and that album's really grown on me lately. I actually think I like it more than New Bermuda.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 9:45 am 

This song sounds so unlike them, even their more black metal-leaning stuff. I sure won't expect a full-length in this direction but I can dig it.

jimbies
Noose Springsteen

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 10:47 am 

I loved OCHL, and I think this would be the second best song on it if it was included (only next to Canary Yellow)

~Guest 285196
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 10:48 am 

That was pretty good! They really have a good handle on more straight-forward sounding black metal than what they are mostly known for.

Shadoeking
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 10:45 pm 

If that song was what they sounded like most of the time, I might actually like them more.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2