Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
GanoesParan
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 9:40 am 

I was at the Milwaukee show and it was really sad. There were a bunch of rumors going around but it looks like he died of natural causes.

https://www.cbs58.com/news/show-cancele ... -needs-cpr

HideYourHole
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 7:59 pm 

Probably going to have to relisten to their past efforts to compare but I'm really enjoying this so far. Definitely some bangers on this one for me, namely Rats and See the Light.

~Guest 389043
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 8:41 pm 

Pop rock music. It's ok for what it is. First one I have listened to since the debut.

g_k
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 8:50 pm 

handful of mediocre songs, handful of super catchy songs, about par for the course at this point.

Church13
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 4:10 am 

Eh this is where they jump the shark for me. The whole Papa Emeritus I, II, zero joke was always pretty lame but Cardinal Copia is just corny. The music has none of the underlying occult feel from the past, this is like Tobias listened to a shitload of ABBA while writing.

InnesI
The Goat Fucker

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 4:17 am 

Church13 wrote:
Eh this is where they jump the shark for me. The whole Papa Emeritus I, II, zero joke was always pretty lame but Cardinal Copia is just corny. The music has none of the underlying occult feel from the past, this is like Tobias listened to a shitload of ABBA while writing.

They always did listen to ABBA. Especially on the first album. That's something Tobias and past members have been very open about. I actually think this albums feels more like a 80's hard rock band. Sometimes I get that Bon Jovi, 7800° Fahrenheit-era, feel to it rather than the 70's occult rock spiced with disco melodies stuff. I agree that the "occult feel", whatever it is that makes that, is gone from the new album. It has a few catchy song, I like the instrumentals best, but there is something lacking this time around.
I've also been called a satanist, communist, right wing, nazi-apologist, conservative dipshit, muslim (lover), PC, feminist, neoliberal, boot licker, verbal masturbator and an eternal low-key fascist enabler! Please add your projection too.
Ad hominem

HideYourHole
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 11:55 am 

InnesI wrote:
Church13 wrote:

They always did listen to ABBA. Especially on the first album. That's something Tobias and past members have been very open about. I actually think this albums feels more like a 80's hard rock band. Sometimes I get that Bon Jovi, 7800° Fahrenheit-era, feel to it rather than the 70's occult rock spiced with disco melodies stuff. I agree that the "occult feel", whatever it is that makes that, is gone from the new album. It has a few catchy song, I like the instrumentals best, but there is something lacking this time around.

Agreed on all fronts - in terms of there past efforts this definitely sounds the least like the others. Still, I've listened through the whole discography in the past two days and this is probably my second favorite of the bunch after Infestissumam.

mike_87
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 2:31 pm 

Anyone else fearing they may sell out with this album? Its so cleverly composted which is why I love it, yet also more accessible. It’s nowhere near as basic a composition as say...In Flames’ Reroute to remain album which was around the time they took their first step in a mainstream direction. They were so cool when they were more unknown and not many knew them, but now their fanbase has grown a heck of alot the last 3 years or so. I’m starting to get these slightly unfortunate images of them one day possibly headlining the Glastonbury festival or a stadium in a few years time. How do you lot feel? You know how some bands have their rise to superstardom accompanied by a stale extremely radio friendly sound...well as accessible as this release is it shows they can still compose some fantastic written songs.

InnesI
The Goat Fucker

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 1:04 am 

mike_87 wrote:
Anyone else fearing they may sell out with this album? Its so cleverly composted which is why I love it, yet also more accessible. It’s nowhere near as basic a composition as say...In Flames’ Reroute to remain album which was around the time they took their first step in a mainstream direction. They were so cool when they were more unknown and not many knew them, but now their fanbase has grown a heck of alot the last 3 years or so. I’m starting to get these slightly unfortunate images of them one day possibly headlining the Glastonbury festival or a stadium in a few years time. How do you lot feel? You know how some bands have their rise to superstardom accompanied by a stale extremely radio friendly sound...well as accessible as this release is it shows they can still compose some fantastic written songs.

I honestly don't care. As long as the music is good I don't mind if a band sells out huge stadiums, or moves away from their old sound. Selling out is only bad if I don't like the music any more. In Ghosts case they've always been very commercial in their approach. Very poppy and with borrowed melodies from old hit songs. The only thing not main stream has been the satanic image. I don't think the new album is more main stream, its just a shift in sound - its still as main stream as most of what they've done before.

If a band in the 2010's can manage to become so big that they can do arena shows then all the best to them. It's harder nowadays to reach that big time level.
I've also been called a satanist, communist, right wing, nazi-apologist, conservative dipshit, muslim (lover), PC, feminist, neoliberal, boot licker, verbal masturbator and an eternal low-key fascist enabler! Please add your projection too.
Ad hominem

LordStenhammar
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 6:48 am 

This tender pussy likes the album very much. 'Faith', 'Miasma' and 'Witch Image' are favorites right now. Nothing wrong with the rest of the stuff also. Must be the growing age: I shed tears over metal ballads a lot more than in my twenties. Some time they will make a ballad as good as 'Rainbow Eyes'...

Runko
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 10:06 am 

mike_87 wrote:
Anyone else fearing they may sell out with this album?

You only sell out if you go against your own principles in exchange for money. This band has cleared wanted to be Kiss or Alice Cooper since day one, everything that's happening to them is in line with that and makes perfect sense.

BrutalizerUtilizerOfTheShadows
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 11:42 am 

I checked out the album, and after three listens, I'm blown away. I definitely agree with those who have already stated the distinction between this album and past material, and I believe this is their most diverse record yet. You have just a handful of heavy songs, two instrumentals, ballads, poppy songs, progressive parts, and even some alternative influence. I think the highlights for me during the first few listens were "Faith," "Dance Macabre," & "Witch Image." The instrumentals were a nice touch as well and a welcome change - they really contributed to the atmosphere of the album and I felt they were well-placed.

EDIT: I do agree with those who have stated that the occult imagery/lyrics are pretty much gone from this one. In my opinion, Infestissumam had the best atmosphere in that regard. I still enjoy this album, but that was something that was a little bit disappointing though. The more personal lyrics (such as on "See the Light") are welcome, although this is the first time that Ghost has had a 4th wall break from their usual theme/mythology, at least that I'm aware of. It's pretty evident that the song is about his ex-band mates who tried to sue him.

Last edited by BrutalizerUtilizerOfTheShadows on Mon Jun 04, 2018 4:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mike_87
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 3:12 pm 

InnesI wrote:
mike_87 wrote:

I honestly don't care. As long as the music is good I don't mind if a band sells out huge stadiums, or moves away from their old sound. Selling out is only bad if I don't like the music any more. In Ghosts case they've always been very commercial in their approach. Very poppy and with borrowed melodies from old hit songs. The only thing not main stream has been the satanic image. I don't think the new album is more main stream, its just a shift in sound - its still as main stream as most of what they've done before.

If a band in the 2010's can manage to become so big that they can do arena shows then all the best to them. It's harder nowadays to reach that big time level.

That’s a fair opinion, I don’t mind them being a bit more mainstream and like you said it will only be a problem if we no longer enjoy the music. ANother thing is many european metal bands dont get the recognition they deserve these days, only if youre from the USA, so in that sense their rising success can only be positive. I also have this feeling with each album, Tobias’s new character is intentionally experimenting with different styles every time. See i cant say I see Infestissumam as that main stream even though the songs are catchy. It sounds a fair bit different to Prequelle for sure.

~Guest 394415
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 7:56 pm 

Last edited by ~Guest 394415 on Mon Feb 10, 2020 7:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~Guest 389043
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 8:42 am 

Only one real stinker on the album and that is See the Light. What a fucking terrible song that is.

WarriorFenix
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 5:16 pm 

Love the album from start to finish, this is probably my favourite record of theirs.

Also the covers of "It's a Sin" and "Avalanche" are great aswell.

Church13
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 2:58 am 

I agree with everyone so far that it’s okay if they’re basically a pop band as long as it’s good, but imo I see this record as the tipping point where we will look back in the future to where it all went wrong. Meliora made rock radio but it was still much more enjoyable to these ears. It reminds me of when Andrew Dice Clay became a parody of himself, which was a parody to begin with.

Byrain
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 3:12 am 

I watched the video in the op and it wasn't really bad or offensive, but at the same time it sounded very conventional and safe, bland even. The most memorable part was the front man who looked like a raccoon and his retarded boy band dance maneuvers. I'd rather listen to The 69 Eyes.

LordStenhammar
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 1:02 pm 

Hah, would NEVER listen to 69 Eyes voluntarily!

I'm keeping a little break from 'Prequelle'. It's a fun album for hot party summer (okay, it's still dark), but too much is too much.

terrordread
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 3:26 pm 

Not bad, but I liked their earlier albums more. Will continue to listen - it might grow on me.

aloof
avant-gardener

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 4:24 pm 

witch image is the new square hammer, can't get it out of my head... gorgeous lyrics, too! the album does have a coupla dud tracks, but it's my second favourite ghost album after infestis sumam. and that drummer has that rare quality of knowing when to play for the song!

Spoiler: show
you have always waded in the shallows between me and the deep blue sea...

jimbies
Noose Springsteen

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 9:14 pm 

I am digging the album, but goddamn i LOVE the cover of "It's A Sin". That's a great bonus track.

~Guest 389043
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:24 am 

jimbies wrote:
I am digging the album, but goddamn i LOVE the cover of "It's A Sin". That's a great bonus track.

Dunno. Makes me think of Gamma Ray.

BrutalizerUtilizerOfTheShadows
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:42 am 

Everflowingstream wrote:
jimbies wrote:

Dunno. Makes me think of Gamma Ray.

This past weekend a friend pointed out how it kinda sounds like it could be an anime theme song. I don't know if I could hear it any other way now lol

aloof wrote:
witch image is the new square hammer, can't get it out of my head... gorgeous lyrics, too!

Totally agree, this was one of my favorite songs upon the first few listens. I really like the keyboard parts in the prechorus!

Woutjinho
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 6:32 am 

I just saw a fraction of a video clip of the vocalist of Ghost doing ballet wearing a mask like he's going to rob a bank.

Now I know why Ghost is highly appreciated outside the metal community as well.

Atomization - Spotify

LordStenhammar
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 7:12 am 

I think I will never listen to Prequelle again. Some good tracks, but no staying power at all. Got old around the fifth spin, or so.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3