Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
CloggedUrethra
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 2:31 pm 

Thoughtstreams - http://www.polyrhythmatics.net/thoughtstreams/

Gnu Metal can be downloaded for free from the website above. Thoughtstreams was an American band from 1999-2001 that had guitar, trumpet, bass, programmed drums, and some vocals. They played very technical and weird deathish metal mixed with jazz and mathcore (a couple songs also had electronic elements). Their music was pretty over-the-top and unconventional, both instrumentally and compositionally. The impression I got was a couple of really talented and imaginative classically/jazz-trained 20-somethings who also liked metal.

This band has been dead for almost 20 years, but I just noticed that the trumpet player recently put their songs back up for download on his website and I wanted to share. For me, this album is one of my two favourite albums of all time. I came across their website in the early 2000s after hearing a Dysrhythmia song on a Relapse cd sampler, going to the Dysrhythmia website and finding a link to the Thoughtstreams site there (they did a split cd with each other). I wasn't into jazz back then, but their music always stuck with me and it took a while before I could fully appreciate it. Check it out if you're into nontraditional technical metal.

blackmantram
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 6:22 pm 

The only metal band with and active trumpeter in their line up I know of is Sear Bliss (well, it appears they have a trombonist now but it's more or less the same), of course there should me more out there but that's the only one I recall right now and it's not anything like the OP.

About this, well, the concept sounds really interesting and I'm open to this sort of stuff. I just checked two songs: the song of the video and didn't like it, they seem to be playing random notes without any sense of direction and those vocals at the beginning suck. Another one called "When Will It End" which sounds like an actual sounds and it's clearly better thought through. Interesting that this sound like Behold the arctopus, I wonder if this is where they come from.

CloggedUrethra
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 11:56 am 

Yeah I like how the trumpet is shredding just like the guitar. I'm sure the random-note riffs were written intentionally like that. They do use a bunch of those random-note riffs on the album, but also have some more traditional catchy riffs like in "Hardcore, Indie, Pop".

The "nerd vocals" at the start of the "Mad Nun" song don't appear anywhere else on the album (the rest are harsh vocals). I took it as a comedic element, like how some of their riffs sound cheerful and happy, like in the "mad nun" song where the trumpet plays a happy riff by itself, then the guitar plays the same riff by itself, then the bass plays the same riff with a blast beat going. I thought that was funny (in a good way).

Reply to topic