Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Turd Blaster
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 5:56 pm 

http://www.theprp.com/2018/02/26/news/young-way-disband-amid-denying-allegations-sexual-assault/

Contained within the article is a graphic description of the allegations, so be warned.

Obviously, no one except the victims and the band know what is true, but it sure as fuck sounds like it is. The fact that several of the victims are willing to put their names out there with this is especially damning.

It's so disheartening to see a sizable portion of the metal and hardcore community react the way they have (i.e. "this is just like Decapitated all over again", blah blah). The tough guy, macho attitude displayed by so many bands in these genres is disgusting, and to see it carry over off stage where they apparently don't know how to not act like a fucking troglodyte is so sad. Please try not to respond like shitheads to this like I know some will be tempted to do.

MawBTS
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 7:46 pm 

What percentage of people who let bands crash at their house end up regretting it? 100%? A percentage that's even higher than that?

Never heard of them and they'll probably be back soon under a different name.

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 9:35 pm 

The hardcore scene has been getting hit really hard since it finally became socially acceptable to call out sexual abusers (Zach Dear from Expire got fucking nuked from orbit with like two dozen claims against him last month). YAITW has always been pretty firmly more on the metal side of the sound split but they're part of the scene regardless. It's a bummer because they're really good but if they're pulling shit like this then I really don't feel bad for them. Maybe a tiny bit of sympathy if any members didn't do anything wrong and got dragged down with the shitty people but from the sounds of it the whole band was confronted about this a while back so if anybody was innocent they should've jumped ship back then.

Also lol at Taake getting even more negative press from this story and they weren't even the ones who assaulted anybody. Rough fuckin month for them.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

narsilianshard
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 10:21 pm 

MawBTS wrote:
What percentage of people who let bands crash at their house end up regretting it? 100%? A percentage that's even higher than that?

Fuck right off with that attitude. If you think 100% of metal musicians take advantage of strangers 100% of the time then you no right to call yourself a metalhead. You sound like a middle-aged, Christian housewife who think bands who play this sort of music are actually evil. On any given night there are 100 metal bands around the world crashing with strangers. How many incidents do you hear about every year. One? Two? I've had half a dozen bands stay at my place and had nothing but wonderful experiences. Made friends for life and had some of the best nights ever. YAITW proved themselves to be pieces of shit very early in their career, but very few bands are like this.

MrMcThrasher II
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 10:45 pm 

Turd Blaster wrote:
http://www.theprp.com/2018/02/26/news/young-way-disband-amid-denying-allegations-sexual-assault/

Contained within the article is a graphic description of the allegations, so be warned.

Obviously, no one except the victims and the band know what is true, but it sure as fuck sounds like it is. The fact that several of the victims are willing to put their names out there with this is especially damning.

It's so disheartening to see a sizable portion of the metal and hardcore community react the way they have (i.e. "this is just like Decapitated all over again", blah blah). The tough guy, macho attitude displayed by so many bands in these genres is disgusting, and to see it carry over off stage where they apparently don't know how to not act like a fucking troglodyte is so sad. Please try not to respond like shitheads to this like I know some will be tempted to do.

I reacted the way I did with Decapitated because foreigners typically don't come here to rape people when on a tour. It COULD happen but those odds are stupidly low.

I didn't click your link yet so I cannot really make a statement on that, but what are the facts we have now?

TheDefiniteArticle wrote:
Also hopefully they take it as a sign they're not meant to make more albums.

HeavenDuff
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 11:22 pm 

BastardHead wrote:
Also lol at Taake getting even more negative press from this story and they weren't even the ones who assaulted anybody. Rough fuckin month for them.

"The next time it came up was when the Taake/YAITW tour was announced in fall of 2015. Both my ex and I are huge fans of Taake, and seeing the tour being plastered all over Instagram and Facebook resurfaced the entire incident. I immediately contacted Taake with the accounts of what had happened in hopes that they might reconsider who they were signing on to tour with. Taake’s response was “We don’t care, keep this drama off the internet.” My ex then began openly posting about the incident on every post she could find related to the tour, and the responses from both bands were to immediately delete all posts."

It's not like Hoerst seemed to give a shit that he was touring with alleged rapists...

~Guest 21181
The Great Fearmonger

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 11:34 pm 

1. Who?
2. No seriously, who?

HeavenDuff wrote:
It's not like Hoerst seemed to give a shit that he was touring with alleged rapists...

There would be no tours ever anywhere in any genre of music if "rando internet person accuses rando band member of assault/impropriety/hooliganism" was a litmus test for booking decisions. Which often aren't even made by the band anyway.

Oxenkiller
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 12:20 am 

I've never heard of this dang band either.

But if this is really true and not just internet gossip, then, fuck them, whoever they are. And if it is just fake gossip, then fuck whoever started this rumor. I don't know if it's true or not; I certainly can't judge; I've never even heard of the band!

And for those that open their homes to touring bands, helping them out and hooking them up, kudos to you and thank you.

There are thousands, perhaps hundreds of thousands, of great bands out there with great people, and the great people who host them have nothing but great experiences.

true_death
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 1:03 am 

Earthcubed wrote:
There would be no tours ever anywhere in any genre of music if "rando internet person accuses rando band member of assault/impropriety/hooliganism" was a litmus test for booking decisions. Which often aren't even made by the band anyway.

A few months ago, The Faceless dropped an opening band (some no-name generic tech band) off their tour for this very reason (rumors of the singer's alleged sexual misconduct). I understand the sentiment, but to me it's extremely immature and unprofessional to conduct your business that way - and reeks of a "publicity stunt", to draw attention to yourself as a "good guy". I'm actually impressed and glad that Taake ignored these rumors, but because it shows Hoest has at least a degree of respect for his tour mates and isn't interested in drama or inserting himself into situations that don't involve him.

CrippledLucifer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 4:56 am 

Fuck this band and their motorcycle club shtick, and fuck Taake too while at it.

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 10:38 am 

MawBTS wrote:

I've had a couple bands that I've played shows with stay at my house. They usually end up making friends with my cats and going to bed.

Temple Of Blood
Old Man Yells at Cloud

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 11:48 am 

I've had metal musicians crash at my pad and I've done the same and it was no biggie. So I'd say it's considerably less than 100%.

I don't even know why this thread isn't locked though because this band is absolutely a non-entity in the metal scene.

Frank Booth
Can Bench 450

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 11:54 am 

Band's had a rep for generally being bad people for a while now. This is definitely a leap, but this story is far more believable than what Decapitated was accused of. Sketchy people do sketchy things, and anyone who has ever met them will tell you that "sketchy" is definitely the word to describe them with.

Also, crashing at the living spaces of friends and fans while on tour is a pretty well-ingrained part of lower-level touring culture in general. The vast majority of bands are perfectly decent people who are just happy and grateful to the host for not having to shell out for a room at a Days Inn or sleep in the van in a Walmart parking lot while it's well below freezing out.

thrashinbatman
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 12:42 pm 

Listen, getting people to let us stay at their house on tour is already a bit of a process, the last thing we need is people not extending us that favor because they're afraid we're gonna rape their girlfriend or something.

demonomania
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 1:21 pm 

Bought their album based on the hype, but could never quite get into it. Now I know why.

"Everyone welcome back the Hoffman brothers, a new beginning for great guitarists and people."

theposega
Mezla

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 2:51 pm 

good riddance

NARAKU666
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 3:20 pm 

There are two diffrences between the Decapitated case and this guys:

1) Foreign bands are less likely to get involved in illegal activities (other than smoking weed or something) because of the intricated legal shit they have to do in order to be released.

2) The people involved have no history (as far as i know) of accusing falsely other bands for similar things

https://www.facebook.com/KothRising

Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 5:47 pm 

Twisted_Psychology wrote:
MawBTS wrote:

I've had a couple bands that I've played shows with stay at my house. They usually end up making friends with my cats and going to bed.

Yeah, really. Sometimes you hear a story about someone puking in a bathtub or something, but it's generally good times on either end.

Anyway, I have no idea who these guys are, but they sound like terrible people.
Hush and hark, without murmur or sigh,
To shoon that tread the lost aeons:
To the sound that bids you to die.

praey
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 7:28 pm 

Kind of surprised how many people haven't heard of these guys. I thought they were a reasonably big name in metal circles - released an album on Deathwish, toured with some pretty well known acts (Taake, Gatecreeper), and seemed to be one of the bigger blackened crust bands around for a while. Then again their last full length was in 2014, so I guess they just kind of fell off the communal radar.

With regards to these allegations, this obviously sucks and it's hard to believe the band in this case. As one of my friends pointed out, what are they really saying happened? The victim accidentally mistook someone else in the house for members of her favorite band? So it's an OJ-like situation where the 'real' aggressors are still out there? Come on. These guys are guilty and they were right to break up.

That said, I seem to be one of the few that was actually a fan of this band, even if there pig blood stunt a few years ago did make them seem like a bunch of inconsiderate juveniles. Still, When Life Comes to Death was an awesome record. To those claiming they have no business being discussed here, give them a listen. Their heavier stuff is basically a crustier version of Watain. Not only that, but they are, you know, listed on the archives.

As a final note, it's interesting the band said they're "no longer signed to Deathwish" and "will not be playing anymore shows" which technically doesn't rule out the possibility of a new album. Maybe I'm reading into it too much, and I'm not sure I'd want to support anything they produced anyway, but their choice of wording was certainly less definitive than it could have been.

SladeCraven
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 7:45 pm 

Wow. I listen to "When Life Comes to Death" fairly regularly. I saw them open for Taake in 2016 and they were impressive. I have to say that their fans seemed pretty douchetastic at the show, though. They were really trying to do the whole tough guy bullshit and taking moshing a bit far. I usually advocate a stance of separating art from the artist, but this just leaves such a bad taste in my mouth that I don't think I can stomach it in this instance. If something doesn't make sense it usually isn't true, but the details of this recounting make sense and I highly doubt these victims were assaulted by phantom people who just so happened to be staying at the house at the same time the band was.

Bummer.

HeavenDuff
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 12:47 am 

Earthcubed wrote:

First of, you live in a pretty sad world if you believe that there would be no tours ever anywhere in any genre of music if allegations of rape against musicians had impact on booking decisions. Seriously... You can't actually believe that. It's sad that you actually believe that there are this many false claims of rape and/or so many artists who actually commit these crimes.

Plus, you have to actually read what Hoerst said when he was told that. Have you actually read the article or are you just commenting? Because what he's said to have writen is "We don’t care, keep this drama off the internet." So maybe he didn't say that, so that's why I said that he didn't "seem" to care. But if what is writen there is true, then I don't really care if Taake suffers from bad press. Just sayin'.

true_death wrote:
but to me it's extremely immature and unprofessional to conduct your business that way - and reeks of a "publicity stunt", to draw attention to yourself as a "good guy". I'm actually impressed and glad that Taake ignored these rumors, but because it shows Hoest has at least a degree of respect for his tour mates and isn't interested in drama or inserting himself into situations that don't involve him.

You say that like it's an easy decision to make. You have to weight-in different factors and take different things into consideration when taking that kind of decision. First of, you have to consider if the allegations are serious or not. And that's not an easy thing to do. But when you have strong reasons to believe that there is something fishy going on, you have to react, otherwise you are basically just letting criminals tour with you. And that's a pretty bad thing to do for any kind of violent crime (murder, assault, rape, etc.) Dropping the band off doesn't equal with agreeing with the allegations or condemning the band before there is any kind of real trial for the alleged crimes. What it means for a band to do so is to keep things that aren't about the music out of the equation. And again, that's if the allegations are serious enough. If it's one random anonymous person who says that once on reddit and never talks about it again and that there is no follow-up... of course you can't take that for cash. But if you read the articles properly, we're talking about people who insisted on this and put a lot of effort in their denonciation.

Also, if Taake are just going to say "We don't care" instead of, I don't know... something like "If the band has truly committed these crimes you are talking about, we encourage you to take legal actions against them. Until then, we can't help you with this, sorry." they are basically just saying they don't give a shit if the guys they are touring with raped someone or not. Which is a little different then rejecting the claims, and I think you'll agree with me on this.

Again, I'm not going to take side here before there is an actual trial, but the way Taake reacted to the whole thing seems pretty shady...

true_death
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 6:44 am 

HeavenDuff wrote:
Also, if Taake are just going to say "We don't care" instead of, I don't know... something like "If the band has truly committed these crimes you are talking about, we encourage you to take legal actions against them. Until then, we can't help you with this, sorry." they are basically just saying they don't give a shit if the guys they are touring with raped someone or not. Which is a little different then rejecting the claims, and I think you'll agree with me on this.

Again, I'm not going to take side here before there is an actual trial, but the way Taake reacted to the whole thing seems pretty shady...

Sure, it sounds callous, but do we have any proof that's actually what they said, word for word? I got the feeling the accusers just paraphrased the general sentiment (that they weren't going to do anything) into a sentence, for brevity's sake. As serious as these allegations are, it's still just an account from one person which could easily be bullshit, and probably just not enough for Taake to feel justified in throwing away all the time & money that goes into planning a US tour. My point is, it's always best for bands on the outside to not get involved in drama like this that doesn't involve them unless they have direct proof & knowledge of what is going on, in which case they should consult police and not social media :lol:. People keep bringing up Decapitated, well remember how the other band on that tour, Thy Art is Murder, never chimed in to defend/criticize them on social media or otherwise? They gave their statements to the police got the fuck out of there to keep their name out of the press....that's how these very serious things should be handled.

tomcat_ha
Minister of Boiling Water

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 2:15 pm 

the allegations seem quite believeable but im still pretty sick of the finger pointing with consequences. Ofcourse i know about all the bullshit with getting rapists etc convicted but still this way of dropping/attacking etc bands leaves a sour taste in my mouth.

HeavenDuff
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 10:36 pm 

true_death wrote:
Sure, it sounds callous, but do we have any proof that's actually what they said, word for word? I got the feeling the accusers just paraphrased the general sentiment (that they weren't going to do anything) into a sentence, for brevity's sake. As serious as these allegations are, it's still just an account from one person which could easily be bullshit, and probably just not enough for Taake to feel justified in throwing away all the time & money that goes into planning a US tour. My point is, it's always best for bands on the outside to not get involved in drama like this that doesn't involve them unless they have direct proof & knowledge of what is going on, in which case they should consult police and not social media :lol:. People keep bringing up Decapitated, well remember how the other band on that tour, Thy Art is Murder, never chimed in to defend/criticize them on social media or otherwise? They gave their statements to the police got the fuck out of there to keep their name out of the press....that's how these very serious things should be handled.

Actually at least three victims and their relatives have spoken against the band. Not just one person.

And for Thy Art is Murder it was easy, they didn't have to go through the hassle of deciding if they wanted to kick Decapitated out of the tour since their were formal accusations against Decapitated, which forced them of the tour. We can't really know for sure what Thy Art is Murder would have done in the same situation as Taake were.

And yes, of course you don't want to pick sides, but you can't really afford to stay quiet and keep touring with a band that's the target of serious allegations. Staying on tour with them might come out as a statement on and by itself... I wouldn't want to be placed in that situation ever, tbh.

Lenny_rose
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 2:01 pm 

Rick (guitarist) always seemed like a cool enough guy around town But yeah that 1%er club shtick got real old real quick. Oh well.

trommnorse
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 11:16 am 

I just don't get it... If they disbanded so immediately, then something must have happened for sure... Their last album was among my biggest recent discoveries, it pains me to see YAITW's downfall. They knew how to fuck up their audience, and, as it turns out, sadly enough, their own career. Fuck this shit, couldn't they have just played and recorded more music??? Fuck!

trommnorse
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 11:22 am 

Also, I have nothing but utmost respect for Hoest for not being a fucking sheep.

CoconutBackwards
Bullet Centrist

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 2:29 pm 

Article says "Trigger warnings"?!
"So, you want to sign songs about your great and glorious invisible cloud daddy? Go right ahead. You have whole tax-free buildings to do that in. I am not only not listening, I am intentionally going out of my way to ignore you."

AddWittyUsername
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 5:26 pm 

CoconutBackwards wrote:
Article says "Trigger warnings"?!

No, article quotes a post that starts with "Trigger warnings". Which, considering it is a post on facebook that may have ended up in the feeds of various people who weren't expecting a post with said content, is a sensible thing to do.

You click a link to the article somewhere, you see the headline, you have a good idea what the article is gonna be about if you didn't already know beforehand and you can "nope" right out of there if for whatever reason you believe it's a good idea for you to NOT end up reading it.

You see it in your facebook feed, you have no fucking clue what the post is about until you're already reading it and may well have reached a point that triggers a violent flashback to something that happened to you.

Reply to topic