Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Metal_Jaw
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 4:10 pm 

Sometimes it takes something like production or mixing to truly make (or break) a great metal album. I was thinking about this when listening to Motley Crue's debut. For years I was mostly indifferent to this album until I heard the OG Leathur mix. The sound and slight differences really made all the difference in the world and now I hope it in as high a regard as "Shout at the Devil". Then you have the 2 different versions of Mercyful Gate's "Melissa", Ozzy' s records with the re-recorded parts, Pentagram's "Day of Reckoning" with different production and drums, the list goes on.

So does anyone have preferences for a certain production on an album? Which ones are inferior or superior to their counterpart? Or do you feel the performance and writing of the band in question is more essential than the production/mixing?

Turner
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 4:27 pm 

The only ones I'm really familiar with are those that have been remixed to try and hide atrocious recordings, like Manowar and Nevermore. In that case I generally just avoid the album anyway. Some actual alternate mixes I really liked were Scott Burns' own mixes of some songs from Arise - would've liked to hear the whole album like that tbh.

InnesI
The Goat Fucker

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 4:28 pm 

I'm a big fan of Megadeth and a few years back they released a chunk of their back catalogue with a remix and remaster. Some were clearly worse than the original (Youthanasia) some I didn't min either way (Peace Sells... But Who's Buying?) but one album I found benefited greatly from the remix/remaster (Countdown to Extinction). This is surely not a popular opinion. I have seen no one else preferring the remix but I just think there is something bringing more punch to the record. The original always sounded a little bit flat to me. I always liked it but when the remix was released I thought it took the album to a new level for my listening pleasure.
I've also been called a satanist, communist, right wing, nazi-apologist, conservative dipshit, muslim (lover), PC, feminist, neoliberal, boot licker, verbal masturbator and an eternal low-key fascist enabler! Please add your projection too.
Ad hominem

MawBTS
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 7:52 pm 

Here's a great comparison someone put together of Geoff Tate's Frequency Unknown album. Shows how terrible the original mix was.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OTmufAgdxu0

Quote:
The only ones I'm really familiar with are those that have been remixed to try and hide atrocious recordings, like Manowar...

If you're referring to the re-released Battle Hymns and Kings of Metal, those albums already sounded fine. Joey remixed them so he doesn't have to pay Ross Friedman!

Turner
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 4:22 am 

No I mean their latest load of shit, the original album where the bass was just horridly loud - can't remember the name off the top of my head.
Those re-released albums were kinda cool imo.

thrashinbatman
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 8:58 am 

I liked the Battle Hymns rerecording, it made that album more of a "Manowar" record considering they released the original before they really found their sound and image. The Kings of Metal one, on the other hand, was super lame. That album already sounded fine, and became the blueprint that the rest of their albums were based on. What was the point?

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 9:16 am 

Turner wrote:
No I mean their latest load of shit, the original album where the bass was just horridly loud - can't remember the name off the top of my head.
Those re-released albums were kinda cool imo.

I think you're referring to their most recent album The Lord of Steel, which was released with two different mixes. Still can't hide that bland songwriting.

As a millennial who grew up in the era of remastered classics, it bothers me to no end that the first two Ozzy albums weren't available with the original musicians for the longest time unless you wanted to buy them used. I do have mixed feelings on the Megadeth remasters for similar reasons.

On the positive side, Andy Sneap's Enemies of Reality remix was a smart choice. The Maiden remasters were also done with dignity and the first three albums still flow well with the outtakes added to them. I also prefer the 1993 version of Day of Reckoning as Joe Hasselvander is a superior drummer (RIP Stuart Rose) and the revamped track listing flows better than the original.

Oxenkiller
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 8:39 pm 

There are different mixes, and different recordings of the same album altogether. Some bands have entirely re-recorded their earlier albums and a lot of the time, the original version was simply better in all respects. Like, why did they even bother? But: In the case of Sodom's "Obsessed by Cruelty", well, the original version was so bad it was almost unlistenable, while the re-recorded version (with a different guitarist) is an absolute classic of 80's speed/death thrash.

true_death
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 9:23 pm 

Oxenkiller wrote:
There are different mixes, and different recordings of the same album altogether. Some bands have entirely re-recorded their earlier albums and a lot of the time, the original version was simply better in all respects. Like, why did they even bother? But: In the case of Sodom's "Obsessed by Cruelty", well, the original version was so bad it was almost unlistenable, while the re-recorded version (with a different guitarist) is an absolute classic of 80's speed/death thrash.

No, the original is the one that's classic - that's the only one 98% of people have heard :lol:. Pardon me if I'm wrong, but wasn't the re-recording only ever released on the original European LP back in the 1986, and all other releases have been the original barring the inclusion of "After the Deluge" on later CD pressings? I also think it sounds even rawer and more "unlistenable" than the original and lacks the dark atmosphere & brutality of the original, though I suppose the musicianship is a bit tighter.

aaronmb666
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 11:03 pm 

I prefer the remixed/remastered Rust In Peace, mainly cause it's got a louder/fuller sound.

Oxenkiller
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 11:25 pm 

true_death wrote:

No, the original is the one that's classic - that's the only one 98% of people have heard :lol:. Pardon me if I'm wrong, but wasn't the re-recording only ever released on the original European LP back in the 1986, and all other releases have been the original barring the inclusion of "After the Deluge" on later CD pressings? I also think it sounds even rawer and more "unlistenable" than the original and lacks the dark atmosphere & brutality of the original, though I suppose the musicianship is a bit tighter.

On the original one, the drums were too loud and echo-y, and the guitar and bass were too low in the mix. That's why I never really liked it. Plus, the guitarist is better and the band is overall much tighter on the newer recording. Just my opinion.

Solidus_Shong
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 5:50 am 

Metal_Jaw wrote:
Then you have the 2 different versions of Mercyful Gate's "Melissa"

I can't find any info about remix, only remaster

Evoken
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 6:55 am 

Katatonia remixed their Viva Emptiness album due to the poor sound quality on the original. One of the rare instances where the remix is vastly superior to the original, at least to my ears. I always had trouble fully enjoying that album because of the crap drum sound and overall bland nature of the production. The remix fixes all of that and now it sounds great.

e_ddi_e
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 7:03 am 

So ... what's your take on Earaches FDR (Full Dynamic Range) reissues?

jjohn
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 7:20 am 

Sigh's power metal album Gallow's Gallery had a pretty bad mix originally but the remix released 2 years improved things a lot!

Pitiless Wanderer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 9:27 am 

That Nevermore album EOR was atrocious when it first came out. The remix fixed things a lot. Also In Flames - R2R...that album needs to be remixed badly

Thy Shrine
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 9:28 am 

This reminds me of the 3 separate remixes for the Molested album. I got the 2016 version which includes the original 1995 mix, and a new updated 2016 remix. I honestly think they both sound good, but I've heard people complain. Haven't heard the 2009 remix, which is that the one Dan Swano remixed? Because I have heard no one compliment it if it is that one.

I honestly like the Megadeth remasters, especially for So Far So Good, So What?, I prefer that bassy sound as opposed to the odd distant original sound, especially on a track like Hook in Mouth.

Perhaps.

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 12:45 pm 

MawBTS wrote:
Here's a great comparison someone put together of Geoff Tate's Frequency Unknown album. Shows how terrible the original mix was.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OTmufAgdxu0

Quote:
The only ones I'm really familiar with are those that have been remixed to try and hide atrocious recordings, like Manowar...

If you're referring to the re-released Battle Hymns and Kings of Metal, those albums already sounded fine. Joey remixed them so he doesn't have to pay Ross Friedman!

The non-payment part is right; they can continue paying those songs live without paying Ross. But it's completely re-recorded not remixed. Also, I don't know how anyone could prefer the re-recording of Battle Hymns it's like they deliberately set out to make it slower and shitter.

Could anyone answer this for me: I have the commonly available CD with Obsessed by Cruelty and In the Sign of Evil on SPV (sold as a two for one, with a crappy slipcase). Is that the "awful" version or the good one?

into_the_pit
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 12:59 pm 

that's up to you to decide. compare yourself:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z4aaCgcvUts

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVTcp0oa6Ak
"Chainsaw Gutsfuck."

ManAtArms
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 2:52 pm 

Quote:
Could anyone answer this for me: I have the commonly available CD with Obsessed by Cruelty and In the Sign of Evil on SPV (sold as a two for one, with a crappy slipcase). Is that the "awful" version or the good one?

This is the US-version, the first one they recorded, leaving out "After The Deluge". I would say it's the more sloppy one, more in the vein of SIGN. With the second recording, they upped speed and tightness, making it more impactful and on par with other stuff from that year.

true_death
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 5:13 pm 

If you have it in CD, that's the original, the "bad" one. The "good" one was only available on the European vinyl release back in the 80's, and to my knowledge has never been released elsewhere though some of those two-for-one compilations do add "After the Deluge", the only track exclusive to the "good" one.

into_the_pit
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 12:32 am 

in fact OBC was rereleased one or two years ago as a DLP with both recordings:

https://www.metal-archives.com/albums/S ... lty/570231
"Chainsaw Gutsfuck."

Metalion_SOS
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 1:27 am 

Solidus_Shong wrote:
Metal_Jaw wrote:
Then you have the 2 different versions of Mercyful Gate's "Melissa"

I can't find any info about remix, only remaster

The Caroline versions were remixed, AFAIK.

SkullFracturingNightmare
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 4:05 am 

into_the_pit wrote:
in fact OBC was rereleased one or two years ago as a DLP with both recordings:

https://www.metal-archives.com/albums/S ... lty/570231

But no fucking CD release, as usual.

asphaalanx
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 7:28 am 

Twisted_Psychology wrote:
I also prefer the 1993 version of Day of Reckoning as Joe Hasselvander is a superior drummer (RIP Stuart Rose) and the revamped track listing flows better than the original.

I prefer the original Day of Reckoning. Hasselvander is technically superior, but something about the mixing of the drums puts me off. I enjoy the remix of 'Pentagram/Relentless', that's only available on the original vinyl, but I prefer the original version ('All Your Sins', that became Peaceville's 'Relentless' reissue).

jjohn wrote:
Sigh's power metal album Gallow's Gallery had a pretty bad mix originally but the remix released 2 years improved things a lot!

And the later Blood Music remix/remaster helped improve things even more, IMO.

FirebathDan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 12:50 pm 

Evoken wrote:
Katatonia remixed their Viva Emptiness album due to the poor sound quality on the original. One of the rare instances where the remix is vastly superior to the original, at least to my ears. I always had trouble fully enjoying that album because of the crap drum sound and overall bland nature of the production. The remix fixes all of that and now it sounds great.

Hmmm. I was not aware of this, so I checked it out. And yeah, it is a marked sonic improvement. But it does nothing to bolster the quality of the music itself to me-this still sits to me as my least favorite "modern" Katatonia record. But you are 100% dead on, the 2013 remixed version is superior to the original in every way and the best songs-"Criminals" and "Evidence" in particular-really shine. And some songs I absolutely hated on the original-"Omerta" as a prime example-are actually listenable now.

Not you, but as it goes when these threads pop up, some people could stand to learn the distinction between "remix" and "remaster" (e.g. the Earache FDRs are not remixes).

My personal favorite remix is The Crown's Crowned Unholy. Yeah I know this a part re-record as well, I just think that this version has superior instrumental clarity over the original Crowned In Terror, and this might be somewhat contrarian, but I much prefer Lindstrand over Lindberg for this band.

Kataklysm did a remix of Victims Of This Fallen World circa 2005 or so, and it was a complete turd-polishing. This album is still garbage, but the remix is a much more listenable piece of garbage.
Obliteration

Reply to topic