Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Slayer1990
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 1:50 pm 

Hello

I just watched this clip on youtube where they are interviewing bands like Goatmoon etc about political views in black metal. Do you think this is common in this genre or what do you think?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dl0Zfbxnb3M

BenjaminC81
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 2:04 pm 

Does it matter? One of black metal's characteristics was and is to offend and oppose popular general opinions. Besides with the numbers of "refugees" flooding Europa i can't blame these guys for voicing their opinion. Not that it will matter in the long run but at least a few of us had the guts to raise their voice and speak out against what's happening.

zera_p
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 4:06 pm 

Wow, "Jews try to control the world via companies"? This is the smartest thing this Finnish illiterate redneck will ever say, and it is highly original a statement too!
I'd be embarrassed to listen to the music of such a douche bag if only for his utter idiocy, but that's me.

Ball Cupper
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 4:09 pm 

Those guys on that video sound dumb as fuck. I dunno if many black metal fans share their opinions, probably a few, but once again they're dumb as fuck so whatever.

Slayer1990
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 4:16 pm 

They are open minded not dumb i think. I share some of their opinions like the muslim invasion of europe and how much of its destruction.

blackmantram
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 4:16 pm 

It's funny how the video was supposedly made to discredit black metal people as racist while not showing a single proof of it and instead they make some fair points.

EDIT: typo

Last edited by blackmantram on Wed Feb 21, 2018 4:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.
zera_p
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 4:17 pm 

I think most black metal group members have higher intelligence than those goat fuckers. I mean, goat+moon? What the fuck?

blackmantram
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 4:20 pm 

zera_p wrote:
Finnish illiterate redneck

Found the racist :-P

zera_p
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 4:23 pm 

blackmantram wrote:
zera_p wrote:
Finnish illiterate redneck

Found the racist :-P

They could have been Colombian illiterate rednecks for all I care. I am a racist against human idiocy.

Acidgobblin
Literally a puppy

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 1:28 am 

BenjaminC81 wrote:
Does it matter? One of black metal's characteristics was and is to offend and oppose popular general opinions. Besides with the numbers of "refugees" flooding Europa i can't blame these guys for voicing their opinion. Not that it will matter in the long run but at least a few of us had the guts to raise their voice and speak out against what's happening.

Black metal is just music, its not really concerned with stupid shit like opinions or trying to be offensive. Any BM bands that do focus on that have forgotten they are simply playing a sub genre of heavy metal music.

And fuck that Europa shit, you've watched too much Thulean Perspective. ;)

Warty_basaloid
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 6:03 am 

Without watching the video, the correct answer is some do, some don't :-p

I take it some right/far right opinions have been voiced? You'll hear many more of them in the coming years as native Europeans get more and more fed up with having to shut up and put up with mass immigration from places they don't really share that much with culturally. It works for some but there are also some, natives and immigrants, who are very pissed. It's all going to end in tears, esp if the money ever runs out or if there are more, perhaps even larger, terrorist attacks, etc.

Satantango
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 6:33 am 

I have never heard a black metal fan voice these kinds of views in real life. Sure, I've known some with fairly right-wing views but not *that* kind of right-wing. My guess is these kinds of far-right sentiments are about as common among BM fans as they are in the general population (the far-right has been gaining popularity in recent years as most of you probably know). Vocal minorities have a tendency of creating a distorted image of things.

We can take an example of punk rock (which of course is a fairly broad genre musically and lyrically). There we have a relatively old and large sub-genre of nazi- punk and bands with racist views in general. Still, punk has traditionally been associated with left-wing politics and probably is a "left-wing genre" in most peoples minds despite a lot of bands being either apolitical or some kind of right-wing. Maybe the apolitical band being a majority even.

Wilytank
Not a Flying Toy

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 2:39 pm 

I hardly think a handful of Nsbm musicians from Finland can speak for the greater black metal scene, especially one with as shitty music as Goatmoon.

conquer__all
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 2:57 pm 

Politics, left or right need to stay the fuck out of metal!

rexxz
Where's your band?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 2:59 pm 

conquer__all wrote:
Politics, left or right need to stay the fuck out of metal!

Yeah I hear ya man all those oldschool thrash metal bands should figure out something else to sing about, like flowers or some shit.

DecemberSoul
Mirties Metafora

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 8:31 pm 

rexxz wrote:
Yeah I hear ya man all those oldschool thrash metal bands should figure out something else to sing about, like flowers or some shit.

Hogweeds!, the meaning of pain, the way that I want you to die...

Last edited by DecemberSoul on Fri Feb 23, 2018 1:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
pfk505
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:50 pm 

I think there are at least two separate issues here, one being the spirit of black metal and the other being its relation to real world politics. I have zero problem with any and all symbols and representations of hate being used in black metal because that is part of the spirit and aesthetic of black metal. Same goes for any sort of anti-religion and blasphemy. It's when the real world politics start to intersect with the music that gets people's hackles up. Goatmoon does come across like a bit of a twat but what he says should really be the final word on it: "If you don't like it, fuck off."

Musically I'm a fan of most of these guys, none more so than Stormheit.

BenjaminC81
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 4:56 am 

Acidgobblin wrote:
BenjaminC81 wrote:

Black metal is just music, its not really concerned with stupid shit like opinions or trying to be offensive. Any BM bands that do focus on that have forgotten they are simply playing a sub genre of heavy metal music.

And fuck that Europa shit, you've watched too much Thulean Perspective. ;)

That might be your personal view on the genre but i'm sure there are numerous band who disagree that it's only about the music. Bands like Watain for example aren't in it for just the music and a lot of the Finnish black metal bands also take their music a lot more serious. Although i do agree that the music should always comes first. But i don't think it's necessarily wrong when a band has a personal agenda as long as it doesn't negatively influence the band in the long run *cough* Robb Flynn *cough*

Also my personal opinion is in no way influenced by good old Varg. The man made great music but his backwards dark ages views are mostly wasted on me. The only point i do agree on is that we need to watch out that our western culture doesn't slowly disappear in the background while more and more influences keep entering our european countries. Whenever i'm a guest in a foreign country i respect their habits, manners and believes. I wish more foreign people would do the same here instead just acting like leeches.

~Guest 389043
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 7:45 am 

Wonder how fat Satanic Warmaster man is now? Might put on Goatmoon next - ripping band.

swine_brothers
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:51 am 

some bm bands place a premium on politics, others less so. i know plenty of non-political black metalers, and several who are both rabm (red and anarchist) and ns...it just depends on the person and band

Required Fields
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:06 am 

I am pretty sure the overwhelming majority of black metal are opposed to NSBM bands and are very anti-racist. No different from punk, which seems to be the genre of music most associated with racism. When you look at the racism in black metal, 99.9% of it probably comes from the bands who are open about their beliefs. The rest are probably viciously opposed to it, even if they don't voice their anti-racist views.

MRmehman
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:24 am 

Slayer1990 wrote:
They are open minded not dumb i think. I share some of their opinions like the muslim invasion of europe and how much of its destruction.

THREAD LOCKED IN T MINUS 10 SECONDS.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 4:52 pm 

Slayer1990 wrote:

Yeah, no. Fuck outta here with this.

MRmehman wrote:
THREAD LOCKED IN T MINUS 10 SECONDS.

Please don't do this, even if you're right. :P

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.