Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
ChildClownOutlet
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:33 pm 

Do you ever have that one song that you just love? That one where you hum and nod your head? Until that one part that grinds your enjoyment? Do you skip the song? Fast forward it? Or just bear with it?

The stop at 2:29 and beyond ruins this for me. One of the catchiest Nightwish songs and I skip it after 2 mins. No idea why they added this.

3:35. It just doesnt fit on such an emotional song.

DungeonShade
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 12:01 am 

I've always hated how Wanderlust devolves so quickly, what a waste. The solos in My Selene never bothered me but I suppose they are unnecessary, I like the part at 4:00 though.

Generally my answer would involve a spoken word bit or sample that comes in during a song. Sonata and Nightwish have plenty of offenses between the two of them.

Mutiilation's 'The Pact (The Eye Of The Jackal)' would be one of the best songs if not for some monologue (I'm ignorant as to its origin) that runs through MINUTES of the track, buried just enough in the "mix" to be impossible to follow.

true_death
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 12:08 am 

King Diamond's "The Cellar" is a fantastic track with some awesome riffs, melodic Maiden-esque leads and a nice, moody atmosphere...but right after the solo (at about 3:03), the most nasally and fucking annoying little's girl voice comes in, which makes me want to throw the CD player across the room :lol:. On another note, for some reason I never liked the closing line..."I can't believe I made it out of there!". I always felt like the character could've said something a bit...I dunno...cooler in that situation :lol:.

This song contains the sound of Glen Benton getting "hammered in the ass" about 2 minutes in. Dunno if that ruins the song, per se...but it definitely makes of an...ehhh...interesting listening experience.

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 12:15 am 

Grumble grumble...I like the second half of "Wanderlust"...grumble grumble...

ChineseDownhill
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 12:16 am 

On the most recent Xandria album Theater of Dimensions, the title track is the last song on the album, and is over 14 minutes long. So they must have put a lot of effort into it. And just when I think it might surpass the Sacrificium title track as my favorite song by them, the male backing vocals go way overboard for a full minute starting around 9:00.

I rarely fast forward parts within a song and the rest is too good for me to skip the track entirely. So I just try to zone out for that minute until Dianne comes back.

SculptedCold
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 2:17 am 

All the spoken parts on the reissue of Resurrection's classic. Were they on the original? I wouldn't know... they're awful. Just gimme the juicy DM.

PeteGas
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 2:28 am 

The bridge in Ram it Down. I mean,it’s ok but it definitely could be better.

lordcatfish
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:39 am 

That group vocal part at the end of Ozzy's "Breaking All the Rules" that repeatedly says the song title. Really annoying. Type O Negative's "Be My Druidess" is also a great song up until the "I'll do anything..." part, which really kills the momentum it's got going.

Helvede
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:44 am 

SculptedCold wrote:
All the spoken parts on the reissue of Resurrection's classic. Were they on the original? I wouldn't know... they're awful. Just gimme the juicy DM.

They're on the original too. I've learned to live wit it over the years, but yeah, what a stupid idea to begin with.

~Guest 277521
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 4:36 am 

On a Gallhammer album (I really can't remember which) there's this part where they start sounding like Pokemon, singing in a very girlish manner. This completely ruins the song for me as I break out in laughter every time. It's too bad really because a lot of the music is fantastic.

MawBTS
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 5:21 am 

The shit-awful chorus in Ozzy Osbourne's "Journey to the Center of Eternity".

Didn't UltraBoris compare it to something a bully would sing as he plays keepsies with your backpack?

true_death
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 7:18 am 

Helvede wrote:
SculptedCold wrote:

They're on the original too. I've learned to live wit it over the years, but yeah, what a stupid idea to begin with.

Last summer I ran into the guitarist and asked him the story about it. Apparently, Paul Degoyler (the singer) heard that guy's voicemail greeting after calling the wrong number, and was so blown away by his creepy voice that he left a message asking if this random guy wanted to appear on his album :lol:. Also, what makes it even better is that supposedly none of that stuff was pre-written or planned by the band or anything, it was all improvised by the guy.

~Guest 343918
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:04 am 

maladie wrote:
On a Gallhammer album (I really can't remember which) there's this part where they start sounding like Pokemon, singing in a very girlish manner. This completely ruins the song for me as I break out in laughter every time. It's too bad really because a lot of the music is fantastic.

That's Blind My Eyes from Ill Innocence and the drummer Risa doing the high-pitched vocals, which FUCKING RULE by the way. No wimps allowed!

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:38 am 

Pantera's War Nerve is the first thing that comes to mind. The opening riff is excellent and the first verse hits incredibly hard, but then the song literally grinds to a halt just so Phil can incoherently rant about the media. He's trying to make a point but he just sounds like he's wondering whose dick he has to suck to get another hit.

I also thought Killswitch Engage's Holy Diver cover was okay until the screaming in the bridge comes in.

thrashinbatman
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:11 am 

PeteGas wrote:
The bridge in Ram it Down. I mean,it’s ok but it definitely could be better.

I'll meet you outside, because we're gonna have to fight about this.

from 3:43 to 5:00, this otherwise awesome song grinds to a halt to make some weird UFO noises and warbling. It isn't intolerable, but is a huge step down from the rest of the song. Right around 4:50 or so is when the song fully begins to lose me. Right as we're at the point of no return, the chorus comes back and all is well again.

schizoid
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:28 am 

OK, this one has got me for the last, what, 15 years?!

Track 2, Below the Lights, Enslaved, The Dead Stare

Hugest build up to the most meh pay off at 3.07.

jimbies
Noose Springsteen

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:50 am 

Add another one for Wanderlust. It truly does pull the song down, for me.

Metallica - Here Comes Revenge
I don't dislike this song, per se. I do usually have the urge to turn it off after the second chorus, though. Plods on with a useless solo and repetition.

Pantera - The Great Southern Trendkill
I don't care for the "Nugent-esque" jam at the end of this track

Opeth - Sorceress
I don't mind the prog jam at the beginning, as I feel it leads into that fat riff nicely. But I feel the outro jam was REALLY unnecessary.

Edguy - Save Us Now
I know the whole song has a silly theme, but I can look past the lyrics (especially for that solo!) but the "alien drum bunny" voice over is hard to justify.

Dream Theater - Misunderstood
The long noise outro is way too long and really removes you when listening to the whole record start to finish.

I'll add a few lyric lines from Sonata Arctica songs:
In Tallulah, the "long-haired drummer of the band" line. Tallulah is one of my favourite ballads, otherwise.
In Letter To Dana, "your picture on the cover of a dirty magazine".

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:13 am 

jimbies wrote:
I'll add a few lyric lines from Sonata Arctica songs:
In Tallulah, the "long-haired drummer of the band" line. Tallulah is one of my favourite ballads, otherwise.
In Letter To Dana, "your picture on the cover of a dirty magazine".

"Walking in the cool night air, without underwear."
-Last Drop Falls

~Guest 417309
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:33 am 

lordcatfish wrote:
That group vocal part at the end of Ozzy's "Breaking All the Rules" that repeatedly says the song title. Really annoying. Type O Negative's "Be My Druidess" is also a great song up until the "I'll do anything..." part, which really kills the momentum it's got going.

"I'll do anything to make you come" is one of the greatest metal lyrics ever, and that song is perfect. How dare you sir. Very much a sexy-time album.

Lord_Jotun
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:47 am 

Mercyful Fate - At the Sound of the Demon Bell: the first verse, with the "Halloweeeeeeeeen!!" shrieks and the weird bouncy riff underneath just sounds goofy to me. Everything else on this song is stunning, though.

Sentenced - Broken: the vaguely middle-easternish riff with the double bass underneath after the second and third choruses. It's not horrible per sé, but the change to a major key and a speedier drum pattern is so jarring musically and emotionally.

Satyricon - Black Lava: repeating the "black lava" verse ad nauseam with no variations whatsoever severely cripples one of the best songs they've written beyond Rebel Extravaganza.
Orgiastic Pleasures
Rust
Black Druid Hymns - my projects on YouTube

DividerOfShadows
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 12:28 pm 

jimbies wrote:
Opeth - Sorceress
I don't mind the prog jam at the beginning, as I feel it leads into that fat riff nicely. But I feel the outro jam was REALLY unnecessary.

Huh, speaking of which...

I feel that the last minute of Opeth's The Lotus Eater could have been left out. It doesn't sound interesting or disturbing, it's just... Annoying and purposeless to my ears.

And I'm still hoping for Katy Perry to do another Christian album.

My Last.fm

Rocka_Rollas
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 1:15 pm 

This song is quite OK....... but I DESPISE that stupid "telephone vocal effect" they have in the pre-chorus.

CloggedUrethra
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 1:40 pm 

Way too many to list, but my "go-to" song for this topic is Metallica - My Friend Misery. I really like the sad riffs but then all of a sudden it changes into an annoying motorcycle-riding-tough-guy riff for the chorus.

tahu157
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 1:44 pm 

Nightwish's Beauty of the Beast could do without the pseudo-philosophical poem at the end. Also Nightwish's A Song of Myself should have ended at the 7 minute mark. The rest of the song (an additional 7 minutes) is more pseudo-philosophical monologuing that completely kills the momentum of the song.

newp
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 2:44 pm 

Vigintiseptem wrote:
maladie wrote:

That's Blind My Eyes from Ill Innocence and the drummer Risa doing the high-pitched vocals, which FUCKING RULE by the way. No wimps allowed!

I concur! Gallhammer were kind of cool when they were doing quirky stuff like that rather than just plugging away at Hellhammer/Celtic Frost-ish black metal.

Element_man
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:58 pm 

You could probably do a thread on Iron Maiden about this. Almost every classic Bruce album has just one chorus that bugs the hell out of me when the rest of the song album kills.

"Invaders"

"Quest for Fire"

"Back in the Village"

"Heaven Can Wait"

All these have choruses that get on my nerves, off the top of my head.
Heavy Metal. No new shit.
Encloaked
Dungeon Synth/Fantasy Ambient

SculptedCold
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:28 am 

^ Yeah, Maiden can have some total miss choruses, though I disagree with most of those picks. Invaders is a terrible, terrible chorus though, yes. Way too goofy-sounding.
My other main picks for good Maiden songs with whack choruses would be Deja Vu and Speed of Light, the latter is a good melody but the strain in Bruce's voice and the excessive reverb make it sound baaad. And Rainmaker, actually. Good melody too, but the vocal hook landing on insignificant article words really bugs me. Oh and No More Lies. Another great song ruined by a chorus. Every single vocalization of the title after say the second run-through just makes me want to punch myself.

DoomMetalAlchemist
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 4:20 am 

Scorpions' Send Me an Angel is mostly a fantastic ballad but the chorus is kind of weak, particularly the "here I am" backing vocals.

~Guest 417309
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:23 am 

Lord_Jotun wrote:
Mercyful Fate - At the Sound of the Demon Bell: the first verse, with the "Halloweeeeeeeeen!!" shrieks and the weird bouncy riff underneath just sounds goofy to me. Everything else on this song is stunning, though.

At the Sound of the Demon Bell is amazing what the hell. I will say though that the 'I am the orchestra' part of Dead Again's title track is pretty bad and fucks up an otherwise good song.

lordcatfish
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:37 am 

nekrosonic wrote:
lordcatfish wrote:

"I'll do anything to make you come" is one of the greatest metal lyrics ever, and that song is perfect. How dare you sir. Very much a sexy-time album.

Not the first time someone's disagreed with me over this. I agree about the 'sexy time' vibe, and that song has it in abundance, but then that part comes along and kills it stone dead.

Turner
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 5:04 pm 

The bagpipe bridge in Blind Guardian's Somewhere Far Beyond. It's this AWESOME speed/power metal track that's basically flawless, and then they chuck this horrible, nerdy, cringeworthy, stupid, pointless, jarring bit in the middle. It's not cool like It's a Long Way to the Top or anything - it just sounds like teenage nerd fucking renaissance fair nonsense halfway through an otherwise absolutely perfect track.

Wilytank
Not a Flying Toy

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 5:14 pm 

This song isn't particularly a highlight regardless, but "Dead Skin Mask" by Slayer. For some reason, they decided to have some little girl talking over the music right at the end. Part of the start of the line of bad decisions made by the band since then.

MrMcThrasher II
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 5:48 pm 

Those four fuckin shrieks in The Candle by King Diamond were super unneeded

TheDefiniteArticle wrote:
Also hopefully they take it as a sign they're not meant to make more albums.

Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 7:44 pm 

Element_man wrote:
You could probably do a thread on Iron Maiden about this. Almost every classic Bruce album has just one chorus that bugs the hell out of me when the rest of the song album kills.

"Invaders"

"Quest for Fire"

"Back in the Village"

"Heaven Can Wait"

All these have choruses that get on my nerves, off the top of my head.

"Sun and Steel", man. That one bugs me and it seems to repeat over and over again. I actually like the "Invaders" chorus; makes me sad sometimes that people give it such a hard time. :lol:

Also Bruce Dickinson...I think it's "The Book of Thel" or something. I haven't listened in a while. It has a "whoa-whoa-whoa-whoa!" part, where there isn't much music going on. It's the sort of thing that should be relegated to a concert, if at all. Otherwise, it's a great song, so it is a little unfortunate that that bit's in there.

I think Sigh has a few of these on their classic albums (before they started to sound like Yngwie Malmsteen having an argument with a video game, I mean). It's usually not enough to ruin a song, but sometimes I don't appreciate the jarring transitions and weird bits they throw in. Usually they're pretty fucking cool, but there are times when it just throws me off. Deliberate, maybe, but if I'm not able to go along with it, I'm just not. An example would be that sloppy "kill everything" solo bit in the middle of "A Victory of Dakini", which is otherwise a towering, majestic, dark hymn. Then ther's the random happy Hawaian-sounding guitar music bit in the middle of "Black Curse".

Mortuary Drape's "lantern" is full of great riffs. But then they end the song with this maddening one that is just two notes going up and down repeatedly in this kind of childish, sing-songy manner. It makes me think of a guy in a lunatic asylum crashing repeatedly into the walls of a padded cell. I think it's intentional and now I kind of laugh when that riff comes up. But it's the very last riff on the album, as it fades out to be joined by that tolling bell sound. It's like they loaded an album full of amazingness and then capped it off with a big "fuck you!" to my ears and mind. I guess it's aalmost commendable, in a way ... the bastards.
Hush and hark, without murmur or sigh,
To shoon that tread the lost aeons:
To the sound that bids you to die.

KinskiTemper
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 12:30 am 

A LOT of Carcass songs have sections I don't like. It's really frustrating since they can be so awesome. For example, I love "Corporal Jigsore Quandary" just for the beginning, and the "scattered and scrambled..." groove riff. The rest of the song doesn't do anything for me.

Also Kvarforth's clean vocals in "Förtvivlan, Min Arvedel" are so lame and contrived, that I turn that song off as soon as he starts in with that.

simonitro
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 12:38 am 

Sonata Arctica - The Last Amazing Grays

The song itself is actually smooth and nice but then at the middle, you have "Chugga-chugga! Chugga-chugga" for quite sometime which feels the band decided to be not interested in the song. Why not a solo or something? It doesn't add to the song and it feels so random. It takes away the emotions and that is why I dislike the album "The Days of Grays". Many songs sound great but there's ALWAYS one part that ruins it. It's like the band just decides to ruin their own songs for the sake of it. "Juliet" is another example because Tony Kakko wouldn't shut-the-fuck-up for a moment to let some of the music to breathe. He keeps on singing and singing and singing without losing a breath and gets quite annoying.

For that matter, I don't mind songs without guitar solos but I greatly dislike when there's a pointless "Chugga-chugga" parts in its place. Plenty of Nightwish songs in their later career has songs like that.

Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 5:01 pm 

true_death wrote:
Last summer I ran into the guitarist and asked him the story about it. Apparently, Paul Degoyler (the singer) heard that guy's voicemail greeting after calling the wrong number, and was so blown away by his creepy voice that he left a message asking if this random guy wanted to appear on his album :lol:. Also, what makes it even better is that supposedly none of that stuff was pre-written or planned by the band or anything, it was all improvised by the guy.

Thanks. I love this story, and I hope it's true, and not bullshit as so many such stories tend to be. I've always thought those parts were both funny and fit the morbid mood of the album.

Come to think of it, Countess has a lot of this stuff. It's usually either a particularly dumb riff, an awful lead guitar part, or a goofy keyboard interlude. Of course you can take or leave this stuff; telling Orlok how to improve his music would be completely missing the point. Most of the time, i love it. And some of the goofier parts are really charming.

The Revenge of the Horned One albums are a case in point. Each one ends (before the closing cover) with a massive, epic track. The first one closes off with this crazy wah-wah space-rock solo. The guitarist sounds stoned out of his fucking mind and the solo just goes on and on but it's actually really memorable and melodic. I like it a lot, and the total eccentricity of this thing is part of what it work. But on Revenge 2, the epic song ends with more lead guitar over an endless, droning rifff, and here, for some reason, it's a bunch of children's ditties and popular folk songs. I don't understand it at all and it's ridiculous in a bad way. But again, that's Countess for you.
Hush and hark, without murmur or sigh,
To shoon that tread the lost aeons:
To the sound that bids you to die.

severzhavnost
Something Stupid

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 7:42 pm 

Maybe this doesn't meet the definition of "one part" of a song. Korpiklaani's "Korven Kuningas", the closing track, is one of the better songs on that album - for about five minutes. And sure, a few passages of the ensuing Bum ... Bum-Bum ... Bum ... Bum-Bum on the spirit drum would have been an interesting way to finish things off. Not 17 dang minutes though!
It’s so powerful that your stomachs will damn.
Bulgogi Kimchi Bibimbap waffle burger! Holy shit! litterally shit!

Napero
GedankenPanzer

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 8:19 pm 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ylW6sC6NNhY

Sure, not exactly metal, but this has been bugging me for three decades already.

kalervon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 10:12 pm 

DoomMetalAlchemist wrote:
Scorpions' Send Me an Angel is mostly a fantastic ballad but the chorus is kind of weak, particularly the "here I am" backing vocals.
It would be awesome if during a show (if they still play; not sure) they'd do the following

Here I am...
Will you send me an angel ??
Here I am.....
(transition start)
ROCK YOU LIKE A HURRICANE !!!
(enter riff: tah-dah-dah tah-dah-dah-daaah)

Reply to topic Go to page 1, 2  Next