Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
xxld1k
The Sweetest Summer Child EVER!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 4:48 pm 

I have seen it mentioned in a thread that Bolt Thrower could be teasing something this year based on their latest post from 09/17/2017:

http://www.boltthrower.com/news/news.php

I guess we can only talk speculation since I can't find any other clues that SOMETHING may be up. What could this mean?

14 Sep 2017
Lest We Forget

It feels like two days not two years since that darkest of days, when we lost one of our own:

Martin “Kiddie” Kearns - never outclassed, never replaced, never forgotten.

Rest in peace friend, with the knowledge that your Battle Drums will soon be heard again...

“Loyalty above all... except Honour”

https://www.last.fm/user/xxld1k

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 4:57 pm 

Bolt Thrower is like the ultimate conspiracy theory band.

true_death
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 5:09 pm 

It definitely is a very cryptic message, not really sure what to take from it. I've heard rumors they (or at least Karl) were raising money to retrieve Kiddie's last recorded drum tracks or something, though part of me is skeptical...I read an interview with Karl where he implied at least one of the members was unhappy with him doing Memoriam...which seems a lot more typical of the Bolt Thrower ethos to me than doing any "memorial" release or whatever. Whatever it is, I hope it's something approved of by all members, that's all I can say.

MaleficDevilry
Anointer of the Sick

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:56 am 

I imagine there is a plethora of unreleased Bolt Thrower material. I'll take any/all of it.

tomcat_ha
Minister of Boiling Water

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 2:40 pm 

i wanna hear that demo with martin van drunen

grindcrushed
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 6:23 am 

tomcat_ha wrote:
i wanna hear that demo with martin van drunen

Now THAT would be interesting!! They've gotta have it lying around somewhere?

Lord_Jotun
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:51 am 

Does it even exist, though? IIRC Martin's answers concerning recordings with BT have been a bit vague and/or inconsistent over the years. Then again, it's been a long while since I kept up with interviews and whatnot; I might have missed some more recent revelations.
Orgiastic Pleasures
Rust
Black Druid Hymns - my projects on YouTube

tomcat_ha

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 1:24 pm 

afaik the reports on the demo with him are p consistent.

CircleovZaphyan
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 5:01 pm 

Im guessing that unreleased album they shelved 10 years ago, because it wasnt up to their standards. Or Honour Valour Pride whith Karl re-recordong all the vocals that still has been shelved, besides the 1 track he put up on youtube. Or im sure there's a fuckton of live stuff with Kiddie.

Or heck, maybe a reboot with that original drummer since they've realized Memorium is weaksauce.

But yeah id buy anything.

HeavenDuff
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 1:34 am 

CircleovZaphyan wrote:
Im guessing that unreleased album they shelved 10 years ago, because it wasnt up to their standards. Or Honour Valour Pride whith Karl re-recordong all the vocals that still has been shelved, besides the 1 track he put up on youtube. Or im sure there's a fuckton of live stuff with Kiddie.

Or heck, maybe a reboot with that original drummer since they've realized Memorium is weaksauce.

But yeah id buy anything.

Memoriam are releasing their newest album in about a week and a half, so I doubt Karl is going to give up on that project.

I hope that it's not just re-recorded stuff. However, if they wanted to rework on the material they abandonned a decade ago and built a real new album with it and some more new material, I'd be onboard with that.

ModusOperandi
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 2:35 am 

For clarification, is there a final album that was actually recorded and just not released, or were the band unsatisfied with what they were writing at the time and never went any further than that? I’ve always had the impression it was the latter opposed to the former.

AT FIRST, I'M NOT AN IDIOT, MORE RESPECT.

BasqueStorm
The Wettest Blanket

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 3:35 am 

HeavenDuff wrote:
Memoriam are releasing their newest album in about a week and a half, so I doubt Karl is going to give up on that project.

:hyper:

I HOPE. :-D

Edit: https://www.metal-archives.com/albums/Memoriam/The_Silent_Vigil/693052

Zephirus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 10:53 am 

BasqueStorm wrote:
HeavenDuff wrote:

:hyper:

I HOPE. :-D

Edit: https://www.metal-archives.com/albums/Memoriam/The_Silent_Vigil/693052

Karls vocals are pretty bad on this new one

true_death
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 10:58 am 

They were fucking atrocious on For the Fallen too.

BasqueStorm
The Wettest Blanket

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 11:07 am 

Zephirus wrote:
Karls vocals are pretty bad on this new one

Thanks! :beer:

Let's see...

tomcat_ha

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 2:35 pm 

he is still more than decent live but it seems that quite a few old school legends kind of suffer with modern production jobs. Martin van Drunen and John Tardy sound worse too on their current records than live.

true_death
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 11:33 pm 

tomcat_ha wrote:
he is still more than decent live but it seems that quite a few old school legends kind of suffer with modern production jobs. Martin van Drunen and John Tardy sound worse too on their current records than live.

I think he only sounds slightly better live...there's a bit of force in his live performance, so it sounds like a weaker version of the more punk-ish style he did on "Armageddon Bound". I do think you're right about modern production, but this is a whole other level...complete and total vocal decay that would make even Chris Barnes laugh. I checked out some songs from the new album, and while the music itself is decent, his vocals have decayed even further...in "As Bridges Burn" there's a part where his vocals are isolated, and he just has nothing left. No grit, no force, nothing...basically just deep talking.

g_k
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 12:04 am 

kind of surprised the reviews are so high on metal archives seeing as how i've read almost nothing but mediocrity about the first album. on that note, i haven't listened to them yet, just an observation.

BasqueStorm
The Wettest Blanket

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 5:59 am 

true_death wrote:
tomcat_ha wrote:
I checked out some songs from the new album, and while the music itself is decent, his vocals have decayed even further...

I did listen to the new album yesterday and it sounds weak and boring (music and vocalwise) till some points at the end. :nono:

Maybe it was a good idea to let Bolt Thrower die with honour. :scratch:

schizoid
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 8:03 am 

Hate to say it, but The Silent Vigil really does sound sad. Reminds me of when Unleashed were at their lowest point (Victory, Warrior).

xxld1k
The Sweetest Summer Child EVER!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 9:01 am 

schizoid wrote:
Hate to say it, but The Silent Vigil really does sound sad. Reminds me of when Unleashed were at their lowest point (Victory, Warrior).

Then Unleashed started coming out with their best material!

Regarding Karl's vocals, I still think it has that Bolt Thrower grit to it but idk how it would sound on a proper BT album. The production of this Memoriam album puts his vocals in the front of the mix. I personally don't mind his vocals on it but I can see everyone's criticism.

We haven't heard Karl on track since 2005, however.

https://www.last.fm/user/xxld1k

~Guest 389043
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 10:37 am 

Funny, I was apprehensive with purchasing the new Memoriam as the debut did nothing for me. Granted only two spins so far, but this is much better. Really enjoying it. Also nice to hear an album with production that sounds as organic as you'll get from a big label these days. Big Bolt Thrower sound too. Guess eye of the beholder rules again.

HeavenDuff
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 1:53 am 

BasqueStorm wrote:
true_death wrote:

I did listen to the new album yesterday and it sounds weak and boring (music and vocalwise) till some points at the end. :nono:

Maybe it was a good idea to let Bolt Thrower die with honour. :scratch:

Memoriam is not Bolt Thrower though... And even with weaker vocals, a follow-up to Those Once Loyal would be more than welcome and would most likely be way better than anything Memoriam ever released.

grindcrushed
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 7:52 am 

HeavenDuff wrote:
Memoriam is not Bolt Thrower though...

Hallelujah! There it is.
There's a whole bunch of bands with ex-BT menbers out there. (Admittedly most of them feature David Ingram :roll: ). But those bands are never pitched as 'the new Bolt Thrower' like Memoriam are, mainly by NB, but also shamelessly by the band themselves.
The fact is, the guy who writes all the riffs for Memoriam is called Scott Fairfax, he was the guitarist/songwriter from the band Life Denied (who?). The guy admits he never even met BT, but now to all and sundry he apparently also wrote/writes BT songs... eh? Just shows how people fall for the marketing hype.
And as for Karl, he's just a shadow of his former self, he shoulda called it a day when BT did, as it's all just getting embarrassing.

Best thing is for BT to come back, with a new drummer & singer! :snipe: Well, one can hope..

BasqueStorm
The Wettest Blanket

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 7:21 am 

HeavenDuff wrote:
Memoriam is not Bolt Thrower though... And even with weaker vocals, a follow-up to Those Once Loyal would be more than welcome and would most likely be way better than anything Memoriam ever released.

grindcrushed wrote:
Best thing is for BT to come back, with a new drummer & singer! :snipe: Well, one can hope..

But, since this WON'T happen...

Reply to topic