Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
CrushedRevelation
Devil's right hand

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 1:21 am 

In Asche (full EP)

Released quite early last year, and flew completely under my radar is this unknown (to me) German two piece BM act, who, in my opinion recorded one hell of an impressive slab of raw black metal, and is well worth anyone who is looking for quality BM checking out.

Musically it is certainly not a paragon of originality, however personally I am a firm believer that originality does not always equal quality. Having said that, this two piece manage to create an EP which stands it's head well above most within the sea of raw BM acts around. The talent displayed here in the song writing is to the point with circular, repeated motifs that never overstay their welcome, or become dull at any point, coupled with a booming, hollow-like bass drum, as if it were coming from the pit itself. Atmospherically it appears there are some haunting keys over the scuzz of the biting riff craft that work in perfect unison with the tone of the guitars, as the bass pounds a furrow in the earth, while chilling wraith-like shrieks perfectly drenched in reverb form a harrowing curtain over the grim musical narrative.

It's magic is also found in the production values, which capitalizes on a raw aesthetic yet still retains enough powerful clarity so that nothing is lost in a wash of white noise and static. A true, masterful understanding of how this style should sound and come across. Obvious references to the classic second wave are all abundant, but this rough gem is no carbon copy of what has come before, as it has bleak personality of it's own nature, that I believe sets Abkehr apart from said clones in the genre. Even the artwork owns.

I hope this isn't the only release I will hear from them.

My collection

I_Crash_and_Burn
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:25 pm 

I like this release a lot. I've bought it when it was only on tape, and it's really a little gem to discover.

g_k
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 10:37 pm 

thanks for bringing this up, will give it a listen.

Reply to topic