Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:07 pm 

What a cool band. I recently went back and checked out the early stuff, and the debut is really such a fine piece of power metal. "Mindtraveller," "Wings of Serenity," "Royal Galley," "Lord of the Blacksmiths...." all among the band's best. Then Black Moon Rising is the heaviest thing they've ever done (was recently mentioned in the NP thread). Vocals are an acquired taste but I dig it, I also like the second album with the other singer, but a lot don't care for him since his voice was more standard.

Anyway, check it.

Leave a steaming, stinking Rotting Repulsive Rotting Corpse = LIVE YOUNG - DIE FREE and move on to the NEXT form of yourself....or just be a fat Wal-Mart Mcdonalds pc of shit what do I give a fuck what you do.

Last.fm

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:20 pm 

Dunno what it is about them, but I never could get into Falconer. They're clearly cool and their songs have some great hooks, but my brain just refuses to absorb them and enjoy them. All the pieces for music I should like are right there, but they're not working for some reason. It's the weirdest thing. Except "Heresy in Disguise," that song fuckin' rules immediately and I have no trouble liking that one.

(No, it's not the vocals. The vocals are perfectly fine.)

mjollnir
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:35 pm 

One of my all time favorite bands! Their first two albums are very special to me and their latest is their heaviest by far. I dismiss their non Blad era like Savatage dismisses Fight for the Rock. lol

Like your reviews?

Metallic Shock
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:46 pm 

Great band, I've really grown to love Northwind more and more in recent times. Not sure how Blad's voice could be considered an acquired taste to people though - he's one of the few "proper" sounding singers in power metal. His theatre training really shows with the degree of expression and control he gets out of his voice, plus his baritone range is a great refresher from the wailing the genre normally has. Basically, he's the best part of the band for me.

I used to be more into the first two but now I lean more towards the heavier sound they've been doing since Blad returned. Black Moon Rising was a great heavy effort for them, hopefully we get another on par with that soon.

Spiner202
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:55 pm 

I ignored these guys for years (not sure why), but they definitely have some good tunes. The debut is fantastic from start to finish. My favourites are probably Upon the Grave of Guilt, Wings of Serenity, and of course, Mindtraveller.

The second album is in a similar vein, but doesn't do as much for me. The Clarion Call is essential, but otherwise, it's not an essential record. I also own Armod and Among Beggars and Thieves, but rarely listen to either.

The newest one is really good, and as others have mentioned, surprisingly heavy. I mainly only come back to the first three songs on it, but that might mean it is time to pull it out again. Halls and Chambers is probably my favourite.

Falconer has a very unique sound that I don't think anyone else has been able to replicate. I think it's because Blad has exceptional control of his voice, and can be as in-your-face as a normal metal singer, but can also dial it back when needed. Halls and Chambers is probably one of the stronger examples of this.

As a live band, they are not very good. The one time I saw them was pretty rough, and it sounds like they don't get as much practice as most other bands out there.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 11:26 pm 

They are a rich, textured band and have much better songwriting than a lot of PM bands had. It's been a while since I heard em but the first two are classics and what I've heard of Black Moon Rising last year was very good. I wish there was more stuff like them out there.

ChildClownOutlet
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 12:13 am 

These guys are awesome. Among Beggars and Thieves is underrated as hell.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 1:24 am 

Playing Chapters of a Vale Forlorn and this is some seriously expert-level songcraft. They were doing way more interesting shit than your average PM band at the time that was just playing around with fantasy keys and dragon lyrics. These are fucking cool, engaging songs with real depth.

mjollnir
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 1:27 am 

Empyreal wrote:
Playing Chapters of a Vale Forlorn and this is some seriously expert-level songcraft. They were doing way more interesting shit than your average PM band at the time that was just playing around with fantasy keys and dragon lyrics. These are fucking cool, engaging songs with real depth.

That album slightly edges out the debut IMO. Just incredible songs from beginning to end.

Like your reviews?

HeavenDuff
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 2:37 am 

I remember really enjoying their music back when their first album came out, and even if I'm not really into power metal that much anymore, I still remember how well writen the tracks on this album were and how the tracks built-up around great riffs and epic vocals. I guess I'll have to give it another spin real soon :)

Acidgobblin
Literally a puppy

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 3:06 am 

Diamhea wrote:
What a cool band. I recently went back and checked out the early stuff, and the debut is really such a fine piece of power metal. "Mindtraveller," "Wings of Serenity," "Royal Galley," "Lord of the Blacksmiths...." all among the band's best. Then Black Moon Rising is the heaviest thing they've ever done (was recently mentioned in the NP thread). Vocals are an acquired taste but I dig it, I also like the second album with the other singer, but a lot don't care for him since his voice was more standard.

Anyway, check it.

Falconer are a band I wish I could dig more. As another poster said, all the elements are present- you get complex songwriting, awesome folk meldoies, cool lyrics, originality and usually good enough vocals- but I just can't quite actually move past the debut. I really like it, its got a really distinct atmosphere with Wings of Serenity being my favorite track, but I just cannot get any further. I'm not well versed on their history, so I don't really know what happened, but the feeling I get from the debut just isn't present.

The debut reminds me a bit of Crom- Vengeance which was an album I loved when it came out. So it ticks that rather specific box I guess.

Metal_Detector
Reticular Modular Unit

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 10:20 am 

Yeah, listening to Chapters from a Vale Forlorn right now and kinda kicking myself for ignoring these guys for so long. I'd tested some songs out in the past, but never got long into them since I couldn't get into the vocalist at all; way too soft and almost lethargic sounding amid the much more powerful music. Hearing it all in context now, though, I'm really digging the unique style. And their ability to write a memorable chorus is beyond doubt. I can already tell shit like "Enter the Glade" won't be leaving my head anytime soon. I'm excited to explore their discography and see if they can uphold this level of quality.

Evoken
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 10:53 am 

Great band, and one of the only power metal bands I listen to on a regular basis. They just write great songs, and their mix of power metal and folk metal just works brilliantly. To me they're a perfect continuation of Mithotyn but with a trained vocalist.

Everything they put out with Mathias Blad is essential, but I'd say my favorites are the debut, Northwind, Armod, and Black Moon Rising. Chapters from a Vale Forlorn and Among Beggars and Thieves are also solid but some of the songs are so-so.

Their only career flaw was the short-lived Kristoffer era, but mainly that shitty album Grime vs Grandeur. The songs are just lousy and cheesy (with the exception of Child of the Wild), and Kristoffer Göbel is half the vocalist Mathias Blad is. He did an okay job with The Sceptre of Deception, but that's mostly because the songs were better on that album.

Speaking of Child of the Wild, the band put out a version of the song with Mathias Blad on vocals in 2006 that's infinitely better than the Kristoffer version. It was only featured on the Japanese pressing of Northwind so it's kind of rare, but so worth hearing. Here it is for those who haven't heard it:

Pitiless Wanderer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 11:52 am 

The only thing I ever really got into was Northwind, but it had some great songs on it.

PvtNinjer
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 12:32 pm 

Falconer was the first ever underground metal band I got into, and I was obsessed with them in highschool, especially Northwind. I think they really nailed it on Black Moon Rising, it's probably my favourite of theirs. Completely ignoring the non Blad albums, Armod was one that I was never super into, and I think that maybe Among Beggars and Thieves was probably their least exciting after that. Their early stuff is also notable for ending songs really awkwardly.

PurpleDoom
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 2:47 pm 

These guys are a more recent favorite of mine. Of the albums I've heard, Black Moon Rising is my favorite - great tunes all-around! Hoping to get my hands on a copy of the debut soon, and eagerly awaiting more news on whatever they're working on at the moment.

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 5:34 pm 

Acidgobblin wrote:
The debut reminds me a bit of Crom- Vengeance which was an album I loved when it came out. So it ticks that rather specific box I guess.

Damn that kicks ass, not sure how I missed it before.
Leave a steaming, stinking Rotting Repulsive Rotting Corpse = LIVE YOUNG - DIE FREE and move on to the NEXT form of yourself....or just be a fat Wal-Mart Mcdonalds pc of shit what do I give a fuck what you do.

Last.fm

Zelkiiro

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 5:57 pm 

Welp, I've isolated the problem: I never listened to Northwind. Fuck me, Northwind is amazing. The debut's really cool, too, but ho-lee shit.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 6:05 pm 

It's a much more streamlined and simple album than the early ones, but it's got a shitload of great melodies, so I see how you'd like that one a lot. The title track is awesome.

The_Minstrel51
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 7:18 pm 

I love Falconer. They are one of the few Euro power metal bands I still listen to regularly.

Chapters from a Vale Forlorn and the latest album are my favorites, though all of the Blad albums are good stuff.
My least favorite is the all-Swedish really folky one. Armod I think?

Saw them live in 2015 at one of the final shows and Blad sounded just like the albums. Wicked performance with a varied setlist.

Mithotyn has some good material too, but I think the style works much better with Blad's epic clean vocals.

Last edited by The_Minstrel51 on Sun Feb 18, 2018 7:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ChildClownOutlet
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 7:24 pm 

Zelkiiro wrote:
Welp, I've isolated the problem: I never listened to Northwind. Fuck me, Northwind is amazing. The debut's really cool, too, but ho-lee shit.

Northwind's great, Catch the Shadows, Home of the Knave and Fairyland Fanfare are just fun as hell.

jimbies
Noose Springsteen

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 10:34 pm 

The first Falconer record is a stone-cold classic to me. I bought the CD when it first came out in 2001 after downloading a couple songs. It's one of my favourite power metal records of all time. Wings Of Serenity & Substitutional World are top cuts to me.

I recently purchased the vinyl re-issue, and it's really well done. Great remaster, and the liner notes are pretty cool.

Zelkiiro

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 10:37 pm 

ChildClownOutlet wrote:
Zelkiiro wrote:

Northwind's great, Catch the Shadows, Home of the Knave and Fairyland Fanfare are just fun as hell.

It's one of the exceptionally rare albums where I loved every single, solitary song. This never happens.

Even on some of my favorite albums of all time like Mary's Blood's first two or Timeless Miracle's, er, only album, there are a handful of tracks I skip every single time.

MawBTS
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 5:30 am 

Falconer is a hard sell for me.

I have mixed feelings on their singer, and I REALLY don't like the melodeath-style production of their early albums. Particularly the harsh, overdistorted guitars. It's like having mud pouring out of your speakers.

In fairness, their last album has one of my favourite guitar tones.

PvtNinjer
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:42 pm 

Yeah, Catch the Shadows is amazing, maybe one of the best power metal songs ever! What a chorus.

narsilianshard
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 4:29 pm 

Thanks for this thread. After years of buying the wrong records of theirs (Sceptre of Deception was one of my first metal albums, and the second one I picked up was Armod) so I never understood why they were popular. But when Black Moon Rising came out I fell in love. Sounds like I need to check out their early stuff as well.

StillDeath
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 6:52 am 

The S/t got so much hype back in the day (and a lot of it was coming from M-A), that I had to get it. I don't love it and don't hate it. I always had the feeling that the vocals are not fitting the style, they are somewhat folk-y but the rest of the band is pretty standard for PM at the time.

SculptedCold
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:51 am 

I've never been a fan of power metal in general, but of the few artists/albums i've found that I enjoy, Falconer's debut is at the top of the list. The vocals are a big part of their appeal, but the songs and riffs are every bit as good.

Reply to topic