Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
STORMM
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 10:14 am 

Did not see a thread on these guys but thought some of you might dig this debut from the Calafornian based shredders. Reminds me of early Dragonforce in places, just released today.

https://novareign.bandcamp.com/releases

ObservationSlave
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 1:04 am 

I just listened to this today and was pretty impressed. I get the Dragonforce comparison, but there is a lot of USPM influence on here. A song like "The Builder" is a great example of this newer USPM/Progressive Metal style similar to a band like Disforia. So far the guitarwork really stands out as the strength of the album, but I'll have to give it some more listens.

STORMM
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 3:28 am 

ObservationSlave wrote:
I just listened to this today and was pretty impressed. I get the Dragonforce comparison, but there is a lot of USPM influence on here. A song like "The Builder" is a great example of this newer USPM/Progressive Metal style similar to a band like Disforia. So far the guitarwork really stands out as the strength of the album, but I'll have to give it some more listens.

Thanks! I would not be as up to speed these days with power metal as I once was but was hoping some of you guys could relate more similarities instead of just Dragonforce which could put many off from giving it a spin.

SkullFracturingNightmare
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 3:11 am 

Anyone who's a fan of Exmortus should check this band out since it features their previous guitarist/vocalist Balmore.

Spiner202
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 11:17 am 

I think the closest comparison is Cellador. Dragonforce has had much better vocalists and songwriting, and both Cellador and Novareign mix in the occasional USPM element in their sound.

The album itself is fairly strong, but it's one of those instances of too much of the same thing diminishing the quality of it.

Reply to topic