Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
mike_87
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 5:45 pm 

For those who know and liked the short lived swedish Black metal band 'Sorhin', who existed in the 90s-2000s, well has anyone heard anything of its members recently? or know what they are up to? They were a great band. All it simply says on their band page on here is that they are now on hold and very little else.

Bob E Sackett
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 9:24 pm 

Still around, and kicking somehow. Damn I'd love it if any of this came to light:

Quote:
– We have plans for a new release of some kind, there’s material – the question is what to do with it. There’s been talk of a split with one of Sweden’s most important black metal bands – one from the same generation as us, featuring new and exclusive material from both parties.
As I was preparing for this interview, Nattfursth sent me an advance of a new SORHIN song.
– It was composed in 2014 and then recorded in Borlänge last year. The lyrics were written a few years prior to this but fragments can be traced as far back as the year 2000. The line-up is Nattfursth and Eparygon.
Speaking of hope – the past 17 years I’ve had in my possession a cassette tape containing rough mixes of songs heavily influenced by ZYKLON-B (the Norwegian band, that is), recorded under the moniker WELTMACHT and featuring Nattfursth on vocals. He now reveals that this also might finally see the light of day.

These were the interesting excerpts from Nattsfursth's interview with Bardo Methodology, though it's been nearly two years since and nothing, so we'll see!
I wonder who that possible split would have been with?!

into_the_pit
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 4:22 am 

http://www.bardomethodology.com/article ... interview/

from last year
"Chainsaw Gutsfuck."

Opus
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 4:33 pm 

Thanks to this thread I just checked out Sorhin. Listened to their first demo and lol'd, that was a special kind of special!
Then I listened to their first full length, I det glimrande mörkrets djup, and goddamn does this rule!!

I'm a very occasional listener of black metal, but this is fantastic! The riffs are great, but that's not uncommon for BM, but the drumming! It's so heavy and powerful. I love it! Also the vocal "melodies" are somehow unique. I think I have a new favourite BM band, at least they are tied with Mörk Gryning.
Thanks Mike!

Von Cichlid
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 1:10 am 

Their 2nd full length I remember had a lot of great riffs, cool guitar effects, and some potentially great songs, but that production job from The Abyss Studios I thought was terrible. I just felt like the thing was way too hard on the ears, kind of like the opposite extreme when compared to something pleasant sounding like Far Away From the Sun, for example. For that reason it is the material from them that I have listened to the least. I'll have to go back and listen to it again to maybe see if my take on it has changed.

Killer band though. The ep is to die for and that first full length has every last minute filled with great material. With that running length of a little over 40 minutes, it is a perfect example of quality over quantity that all really great metal albums have.

into_the_pit
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 7:26 am 

truly a great, exceptional band. my favorite recording is still their i fulmanens dystra sken tape (with shamatae on drums, btw). check out this insane riffage:

"Chainsaw Gutsfuck."

narsilianshard
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 1:47 pm 

Von Cichlid wrote:
Their 2nd full length I remember had a lot of great riffs, cool guitar effects, and some potentially great songs, but that production job from The Abyss Studios I thought was terrible. I just felt like the thing was way too hard on the ears, kind of like the opposite extreme when compared to something pleasant sounding like Far Away From the Sun, for example.

Agreed. I love the album so much; it has some of the best black metal riffs of all time. Such a shame it's borderline unlistenable. I remember listening to it on my laptop speakers and thinking it was fine, then popped it into my car stereo and felt like crying. Hoping for a remix/master one day.

mike_87
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 2:12 pm 

Opus wrote:
Thanks to this thread I just checked out Sorhin. Listened to their first demo and lol'd, that was a special kind of special!
Then I listened to their first full length, I det glimrande mörkrets djup, and goddamn does this rule!!

I'm a very occasional listener of black metal, but this is fantastic! The riffs are great, but that's not uncommon for BM, but the drumming! It's so heavy and powerful. I love it! Also the vocal "melodies" are somehow unique. I think I have a new favourite BM band, at least they are tied with Mörk Gryning.
Thanks Mike!

No problem, yeah they were very good, all about the riffage with them for sure, they also generally play fast mostly...huge thumbs up from me, only issue is the lyrics are in 100% swedish so quite hard to understand but that is a very minor issue, as was when I enjoyed Dimmu’s Stormblast despite it being sang all in Norwegian. Had Sorhin stayed together they likely would have got very popular in the black metal scene.

Reply to topic